Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Recognizable Jeep styling
- Good utility
- Quiet ride
- Available four-wheel drive
- Low starting price
Jeep Compass: Everything You Need to Know
About the Jeep Compass
The Jeep Compass is a four-door compact crossover. It was redesigned in 2016 and is significantly better than the previous version.
The compact crossover comfortably seats five and has good rear storage for gear. The exterior is a clean, modern design, and the interior is nice, especially for the price.
The Compass is front-wheel drive with optional four-wheel drive, except for the Trailhawk version which only comes in four-wheel drive. Drive modes maximize the crossover’s utility and off-road capabilities.
Understanding the different equipment and features available on the Compass is challenging. Jeep provides quite a few optional packages, and sorting which features go with what group can be tedious.
Small families, or those with active lifestyles should consider the Compass. The cargo space in the back is well-suited for DIY, flea market finds, and good-size pet cages. Its utility, off-road capability, size, and price appeal to a wide range of shoppers.
What’s New in the Current 2019 Jeep Compass?
Jeep is offering the Compass Sport Upland special edition for 2019. The Upland is mostly an appearance package. It borrows several bits from the Trailhawk including 17-inch wheels, the front styling with tow hooks, and a front skid plate. The grille and roof are gloss black, and bright chrome finishes the exhaust tip.
The Compass Limited offers a new High Altitude Appearance package. This consists of 19-inch satin gloss granite wheels and grille surround, the larger Uconnect 8.4-inch infotainment screen with nav, high intensity LED head lamps, and special gray finishes.
Adaptive cruise control is now part of the available Advanced Safety Group package. There’s a new “Sting Grey” exterior paint color and a premium lighting group. The Sport and Latitude models come standard with a 7.0-inch Uconnect radio now as well. The Compass is powered by a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine (180 horsepower, 175 pound-feet of torque). A six-speed manual is standard on the base Sport model, and the four-wheel drive version of the Latitude.
A six-speed automatic is standard on the front-wheel drive version of the Latitude and Limited. A nine-speed automatic is optional on the Sport and Latitude, and standard on Trailhawk and the four-wheel version of the Limited.
What Does the 2019 Jeep Compass Compete With?
The Compass has loads of competitors. Here are some of the most popular ones:
The Compass has the most off-road capabilities in this list, with the Honda Passport a close second. Jeep sometimes gets dinged on reliability, but it’s an area of improvement and focus for the brand.
The Compass is terrific for small to medium size households, pet owners, and active people.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Jeep Compass
The Compass has a strong family resemblance to the popular Grand Cherokee with the signature seven-slot grille in front. It has tall doors with sleek windows. Power adjustable heated mirrors are standard and come in either black, body color, neutral grey, or chrome, depending upon version.
Only the Trailhawk gets tow hooks, but roof rails are standard across the board.
Daytime running lights and quad halogen headlamps are standard on all versions. Automatic headlamps and cornering fog lights are standard on all but the base Sport. LED high intensity headlamps and LED tail lamps are available as part of the Premium Lighting Group. Automatic high-beam headlamps are part of the Advanced Safety Group.
An available dual-pane panoramic sunroof lets the outdoors into the cabin. An optional two-tone black roof gives a trendy sinister look to the Compass.
The trapezoidal wheel wells of the Compass keep with Jeep’s long-standing tradition. There are no less than eleven different wheel types on the Compass. This kind of choice can be confusing and overwhelming.
Remote keyless entry is standard and remote start is available as part of a variety of packages. It’s important to carefully review the options in each trim to get the right features.
Interior Style in the 2019 Jeep Compass
The interior of the Compass is well appointed. The center console is anchored by a 7.0-inch display supporting the Uconnect infotainment system. A larger 8.4-inch screen is available on the higher trim levels.
Dual automatic temperature controls are standard. Buttons and knobs are well-placed and easy to reach. Cupholders are snuggled in between the front seats. Bottle holders are on each door. The glove box is generous but there’s not a ton of cubbyholes in the Compass. An arm rest with cupholders is standard in the back seat.
Cloth seats are standard on lower versions with leather trim available on the Limited and above. Manual six-way driver and passenger seats are standard on lower trims. A power eight-way driver’s seat is offered in two different option packages. Heated front seats and steering wheel are available as part of the Cold Weather Group.
The base Sport’s steering wheel is vinyl, while the upper levels get a leather-wrapped version. A heated wheel is offered in the Cold Weather pack.
The materials are well suited for a sporty lifestyle but comfort features like power seats require spending more money. The back seat holds three adults and has a 60/40-split fold.
A power liftgate is optional on most trims.
Snow belt buyers will want to upgrade to the Cold Weather Group, which includes a windshield wiper de-icer, heated front seats and steering wheel. During a recent test drive, the seats and steering wheel were actually almost too warm.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Jeep Compass?
The Uconnect system in the Jeep Compass is delightfully easy to understand. Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, and AM/FM radio are standard, and integration is smooth. Voice commands with Bluetooth and streaming audio is also standard. The Latitude adds Sirius XM Radio.
The Limited trim upgrades to an 8.4-inch display and includes navigation.
The center stack includes a USB port and an auxiliary input jack. There’s a second USB port behind the center console for rear-seat passengers.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Jeep Compass?
The base Jeep Compass comes standard with a host of airbags, hill start assist, rollover mitigation and a backup camera. LATCH anchors are in the back seat for child car seat installation.
There’s a rather unique “rain brake support” activated when the windshield wipers are on. The ABS pump lightly presses the brake pads to help keep the brake rotors dry.
Latitude models and up offer a package with adaptive cruise control, automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and automatic high beams. It’s worth upgrading to include this package.
Jeep is big on bundling features together. One such package is the Safety and Security Group, which is not available on the base Sport but is optional on all other trims. The group includes blind-spot monitoring, rear cross path detection, rear park assist, and rain-sensing intermittent wipers.
Another package is the Advanced Safety Group, also optional on upper trims. This group includes adaptive cruise, forward collision warning with active braking on automatic transmissions. Lane departure warning with lane keep assist, auto-dimming rearview mirror, and automatic high beam are all included, but also require the safety and security group.
Once again, carefully review packages before purchasing the Compass.
What is the 2019 Jeep Compass Like to Drive?
The Compass is a fun compact SUV. It’s a great size for navigating urban or suburban traffic. The four-cylinder engine is a bit underpowered especially on the highway. The nine-speed transmission worked through the gears seamlessly.
The Compass four-wheel-drive models have four traction control settings: auto, snow, sand, and mud. The Trailhawk version adds hill-descent control. These modes are readily available from the center console and can be switched while driving.
Jeep did a good job tuning the Compass for on-road driving, so it’s quiet and well-behaved. The steering is calm and responsive, while tire noise and vibration is minimal.
Fuel economy is good in the Compass. The six-speed manual in front-wheel-drive gets 23/32 mpg city/highway. All-wheel-drive shaves fuel economy to 22/31. For the automatic transmission, front drive scores a 22/31 mpg while the four-wheel-drive version stays the same for city but drops to 30 mpg for highway.
Should I Buy a Current 2019 Jeep Compass?
There are a lot of small crossovers to choose from in the marketplace today. But the four-wheel-drive version of the Compass stands alone in off-road capability. If that’s a priority, then the Compass is a good choice. Otherwise, it’s worth testing rivals.
Should I Buy a Used 2019 Jeep Compass? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The current Jeep Compass is far superior to the previous generation. It’s not recommended to purchase model year 2015 and older. Long-term reliability of the Jeep Compass is inconsistent, so look for a well-maintained version.
How Much Does the New 2019 Jeep Compass Cost?
With such a wide variety of configurations, Compass pricing can be complicated. Simply put, the Compass starts at $21,845 and climbs to $30,190, depending on trim and drivetrain. A delivery fee of $1,445 is added to all models.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Jeep Compass
- Good off-road capabilities
- Comfortable on road
- Adjustable driving modes allow for custom ride
- Uconnect system easy to use
- Cargo and size provide good value
- Engine is a bit underpowered
- Reliability can be spotty
- Trim line up is confusing
The History of 2019 Jeep Compass
The Jeep Compass debuted for the 2007 model year, but is only in its second generation. The Compass was Jeep’s first foray into the car-based crossover. The Compass and its Patriot variant were not “trail rated,” breaking with brand tradition. Both used the Neon car platform and were produced at the Belvidere, Illinois plant alongside the compact car.
The Compass lingered in the market, gaining the “Trail Rated” badge in 2011. A much-needed second-generation redesign debuted at the 2016 L.A. Auto Show. The Patriot was discontinued, so the Compass picked up the sales slack.
Today’s Compass is manufactured in Toluca, Mexico.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Jeep Compass
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.4L I4 MultiAir
- 180 hp
- 6-Speed C635 Manual
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.4L I4 MultiAir
- Transmission: 6-Speed C635 Manual
- 3.833 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 4,400 lbs
- 50-State Emissions
- Front-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 500CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 160 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 13.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Strut Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 16" x 6.5" Styled Black Steel
- Tires: 215/65R16 BSW AS
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Black Door Handles
- Black Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Accents
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Aero-Composite Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- Radio: Uconnect 4 w/7" Display
- AM/FM/Satellite-Prep w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls and Voice Activation
- 6 Speakers
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- 6-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment and Fore/Aft Movement
- 6-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment, Fore/Aft Movement and Fold Flat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Voice Recorder
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Illuminated Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Vinyl Door Trim Insert
- Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- Smart Device Integration
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Sliding Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- ParkView Back-Up Camera