Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Updated appearance
- Good ride and handling
- Well-designed, comfortable interior
- Wide array of available technology
- Off-road capability beyond most competitors
Jeep Cherokee: Everything You Need to Know
About the 2019 Jeep Cherokee:
The 2019 Jeep Cherokee SUV slots in between the brand’s smaller Compass and the top-dog Grand Cherokee. It plays in the popular compact-SUV class, but unlike most of its competitors, the Cherokee actually has impressive off-road capability.
Still, the Cherokee doesn’t sacrifice much comfort for the sake of ruggedness. It provides decent ride and handling, as well as a host of available technology and safety features. The 2019 Cherokee is worth a look for shoppers in the market for a small SUV. It is especially good for those who like to venture off the beaten path occasionally.
What’s New in the Current 2019 Jeep Cherokee?
The 2019 Jeep Cherokee has been updated with features that include:
- New front-end design with aluminum hood
- Standard LED lights all around
- Restyled rear fascia
- Available turbocharged, 270-horsepower, 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine
- Updated infotainment system with standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
There are five available Cherokee trim levels for 2019:
- Latitude Plus
Moving up through the models gets you more standard equipment, especially comfort, tech, and driver-assist features. The Trailhawk trim level includes rugged off-road looks and capability, and it comes standard with all-wheel drive. Other models start out with front-wheel drive, with the all-wheel system an extra-cost option.
All Cherokee models come with a nine-speed automatic transmission. Engine choices for 2019 include:
- Base 2.4-liter four-cylinder, rated at 180 horsepower and 171 pound-feet of torque
- New 2.0-liter turbocharged four that makes 270 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque
- 3.2-liter V6 that puts out 271 horsepower and 239 pound-feet of torque
Standard towing capacity for the 2019 Cherokee is 2,000 pounds. But when the Jeep is equipped with the right options that jumps to 4,500 pounds.
What Does the Jeep 2019 Jeep Cherokee Compete With?
The 2019 Jeep Cherokee competes with the following compact SUVs:
The biggest advantage the Cherokee has over the others is its off-road capability. Most of the Cherokee’s rivals don’t have the construction or suspension design to handle the rough stuff.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Jeep Cherokee
The updated exterior of the 2019 Cherokee should appeal to a wider segment of SUV shoppers than the previous design. The grille is more upright and the headlights more conventional in shape. The effect is handsome and sleek, yet it still looks like a Jeep.
Standard exterior features for the 2019 Cherokee include:
- LED headlights, daylight running lamps, and fog lights
- Power heated mirrors
- Rear window wiper and washer
- 17-inch aluminum wheels
Additional equipment abounds, either optional or as part of higher trim levels. Items include:
- Dual-pane sunroof
- Off-road package with skid plates
- Exterior mirrors with turn signals and memory
- Fender flares
- Larger wheels and tires, including dedicated off-road tires
- Trailer-towing package
Interior Style in the 2019 Jeep Cherokee
The 2019 Jeep Cherokee seats two in front with room for three in the second row. There’s plenty of legroom for the driver and front passenger. Those in back will find enough legroom, but headroom might be tight for tall passengers due to the optional sunroof.
Cargo room is less than the average for the class. With the second-row seats in place, there’s 26.6 cubic feet of space for gear. That grows to 54.9 cubic feet with the second row folded. LATCH attachments make installing a child seat easy.
The base Cherokee is well equipped, but higher trim levels and option packages allow you to add such features as:
- Leather seating
- Heated seats, front and rear
- Heated steering wheel
- Ventilated front seats
- Dual-zone climate control
- Hands-free power liftgate
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Jeep Cherokee?
The base 2019 Cherokee lags behind some others in the tech department. However, the Cherokee does come with the most recent version of the Uconnect infotainment system, which includes:
- 7.0-inch touchscreen
- Six-speaker audio system
- Bluetooth connectivity
- USB ports, front and rear
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
To get some of the latest tech, buyers can add:
- 8.4-inch touchscreen
- Alpine nine-speaker, 506-watt audio system
- HD and satellite radio
- 4G Wi-Fi hotspot
- Navigation system
What Safety Features are in the 2019 Jeep Cherokee?
The base Cherokee comes outfitted with all the basic safety features. It received a four-star (out of five) overall safety rating from the NHTSA.
Available safety and driver-assist features include:
- Adaptive cruise control: Maintains a set distance between the Cherokee and the vehicle ahead of it on the highway
- Forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking: Alerts driver if approaching another vehicle too fast. If driver doesn’t react quickly enough, system will apply the brakes, even coming to a full stop
- Lane-departure warning: Alerts driver if the SUV begins drifting out of its lane. If driver doesn’t respond, system will help steer it back
- Blind-spot monitoring: Alerts driver if another vehicle is traveling in one of the side blind-spot areas
- Rear cross-traffic alert: Tone sounds if a vehicle is crossing behind the SUV as driver backs up
- Park assist: Steers the SUV while directing you to shift gears and operate the brake and accelerator while parking
What is the 2019 Jeep Cherokee Like to Drive?
Carrying the Jeep name, the 2019 Cherokee should function well off-road, but a big surprise is how well it performs on the street. The Cherokee strikes a good balance between taut handling and comfortable ride. It is a very practical daily driver.
Many buyers will likely consider the base four-cylinder engine to be a bit weak for anything but basic transportation. The new turbocharged four might be a good option, as it aims for a balance between performance and fuel economy. But a popular choice for many shoppers will be the 3.2-liter V6. It’s smooth, sounds good, and is more responsive than the other engines.
The interior of the Cherokee is comfortable enough for long commutes or family trips. And its cargo capacity – a bit below average for the class – will suffice for most chores. The seats are soft, but not overly so. Opting for the leather that’s available in higher trims gives the Jeep a more upscale feel.
The Uconnect system is easy to use. Adaptive cruise control, a great addition for road trips, works as it should, maintaining a set distance from the vehicle ahead. Park assist and rear cross-traffic alert will be appreciated by owners who spend time driving in the city.
The Jeep’s direct competitors don’t come close to the Cherokee’s performance in the dirt. Take it off the beaten path and you’ll be pleased with this SUV’s ability to handle almost anything the outdoors can throw at it. The Trailhawk model shines in this area. Its bigger tires, higher ground clearance, and locking differential help it where the competition would flag.
Should I Buy a Current 2019 Jeep Cherokee?
Shoppers in the market for a comfortable, solid, compact SUV should take a close look at the 2019 Cherokee. It’s a practical daily driver, is well priced, and has more off-road capability than its rivals.
Should I buy a Used Jeep Cherokee? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
It seem as if the Jeep Cherokee has been around forever, so there are plenty of them out there. But as might be expected, earlier versions lack many of the comforts and advanced tech demanded by today’s buyers. The current generation was introduced in 2014 and includes many desirable tech and driver-assist features. We’d suggest not looking back much further than that year.
How Much Does the New 2019 Jeep Cherokee Cost?
The 2019 Jeep Cherokee is well priced among its peers in the compact SUV class. Prices for the base, front-wheel drive Latitude model start at $26,985, while the Latitude Plus goes for $28,640 and up. The better-equipped Limited begins at $32,695. The off-road-worthy Trailhawk starts at $33,945. And the top-of-the-line Overland begins at $38,240. All prices include a $1,495 destination charge.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Jeep Cherokee
- Off-road capability combined with city manners
- Good ride and handling
- Comfortable interior
- Choice of engines
- Selection of available technology
- Base engine is a bit weak
- Cargo room lags behind others
- The most desirable tech costs extra
- Transmission can be balky at times
- Styling may not be for everyone
The History of Jeep Cherokee: 45 Years and Counting
The Jeep Cherokee first appeared as a 1974 model. It was created as a sportier, two-door version of the Jeep Wagoneer. The Cherokee’s rugged body-on-frame construction, four-wheel drive, and large cargo area made it a popular choice for outdoorsy buyers looking for a tough off-road vehicle.
A four-door model arrived in 1977, making the Cherokee a more practical family wagon. A second generation appeared in 1984 on a totally new, shorter, platform. This Cherokee was the first SUV with car-like unibody construction.
The third gen Cherokee, which ran from 2002 through 2007, was actually called the Liberty. The idea was to set it apart from the Grand Cherokee model, which debuted in 1993. The Liberty was then redesigned for a fourth generation in 2008.
Jeep revived the Cherokee name for a fifth generation in 2014, and that’s how we’ve known it ever since. Through the years, the Cherokee has gained more comfort, convenience features, and engine options. But, as with the first version, it’s a great choice for consumers who need a daily commuter or a weekend off-roader.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Jeep Cherokee
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.4L I4 Zero Evap M-Air w/ESS
- 180 - 271 hp
- 9-Speed 948TE Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.4L I4 Zero Evap M-Air w/ESS
- Transmission: 9-Speed 948TE Automatic
- 3.734 Axle Ratio
- Normal Duty Suspension
- GVWR: 5,050 lbs
- 50 State Emissions
- Transmission w/Autostick Sequential Shift Control and Oil Cooler
- Front-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 700CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 160 Amp Alternator
- Stop-Start Multiple VSM System
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- 1000lbs. Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 15.8 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 17" x 7" Painted Aluminum
- Tires: 225/60R17 BSW All Season
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Rear Bumper
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Fender Flares
- Chrome Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum/Composite Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: Uconnect 4 w/7" Display
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Voice Activation, Radio Data System and Uconnect External Memory Control
- 6 Speakers
- Streaming Audio
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- 6-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment and Fore/Aft Movement
- 6-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment and Fore/Aft Movement
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Cloth Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Voltmeter, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Temperature, Transmission Fluid Temp, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Simulated Wood Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Vinyl Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Bucket Seats
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- Smart Device Integration
- Covered Dashboard Storage, Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 1 Seatback Storage Pocket
- Sentry Key Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag and Rear Side-Impact Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- ParkView Back-Up Camera