Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Comfortable size
- Well-appointed interior
- Affordable from the get-go
- Handles itself well on the pavement
In development from 2007 to 2012, the Hyundai Veracruz is plenty of SUV for the money. The auto manufacturer did not make a new version for 2019.
In keeping with its theme of making quality vehicles at a lower price, Hyundai built one that’s a good value. This is a seven-passenger edition that is available in a GLS or Limited trim.
From its first year on showroom floors, the Hyundai Veracruz displayed sleek exterior styling. It is comfortable to ride in, and it has always earned high safety ratings.
The Veracruz also exhibits nimble handling. In testing, reviewers noted its effortless and comfortable ride. Front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive are both available with this car.
You can get the SUV today with plenty of advanced tech and safety features. It also gets decent fuel economy (17 city/22 highway) and has the amount of cargo space you can expect from a seven-passenger auto. The edition competes with models like the Toyota Highlander.
Notable Features of the Hyundai Veracruz
- Power liftgate
- Proximity key that lets you get in and out of the auto without pushing a button
- Smooth and quiet ride
Covering the Exterior Design
Sweeping lines and an attractively proportioned body form the exterior of the Veracruz. For 2012, the company updated the front facia to give it a more European look. Roof rails add utility to it.
You can get the Veracruz with 17-inch or 18-inch wheels. The rims feature a modern appearance and the entire exterior of the SUV is streamlined.
Dual-chrome exhaust vents give it a high-end look. The rear spoiler and side mirrors with integrated turn indicators do the same. It looks good coming and going.
What You’ll Like about the Interior
The interior of the auto is definitely on the handsome side. It has solid quality materials that include things like wood accents and smooth plastics. Hyundai designed the controls to appear clean and minimal looking. They are also easy to access.
Hyundai made sure that the seats were comfortable. The company also gave first- and second-row passengers plenty of legroom and headroom.
As with other SUVs, the third row is best for kids. Inside, you’re sure to appreciate the ambient lighting and the soft-lined bins.
Hyundai designed the edition to have a flexible and useful interior. To accomplish this, the company made sure that the third-row of seating could fold down into the floor. It does this in 50/50 sections.
The second-row splits by 60/40 sections. This means that you can adjust the interior to suit your needs. So, that sofa you found at a yard sale will fit inside.
It has nice-sized consoles as well. You can purchase one with an air-conditioned storage console. This nicety keeps food and drinks cold on road trips.
Technology Features in the Hyundai Veracruz
Technology is important in modern-day cars. Hyundai welcomes it by adding many technological features to its vehicles. In the SUV, you’ll get:
- A six-speaker sound system
- Auto-dimming mirrors
- Heated side mirrors
- Auxiliary audio jack
- iPod/USB interface
- Pandora audio streaming
Standard Vehicle Equipment
Hyundai made a well-equipped vehicle. Even the base is pretty high-end. Standard gear includes:
- Automatic headlights
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Rear parking sensors
- Fog lights
- Rear seat climate controls
- Windshield wiper de-icer
- Electronic brake-force distribution system
- Brake assist
Optional Amenities and Equipment
Premium features enhance ownership of this vehicle. With this model, you’ll come across amenities like:
- A sunroof
- An eight-speaker Infinity sound system
- A full, 10-speaker Infinity sound system
- Rear view camera
- Dual-zone climate control
- Power outlet
- DVD navigation
The car company included the safety equipment that you need and want. With the SUV, you’ll have:
- Antilock disc brakes
- Front-seat side airbags
- Stability control
- Active front head rests
The Institute for Highway Safety tested the vehicle. In reviews, it gave the Veracruz a “Good” rating in side impact collisions. The vehicle received the same rating for frontal-offset crash tests.
On the Road and Under the Hood
This SUV has a car-like build. It also comes with a four-wheel detached suspension. Together, these two features create a smooth and stable ride.
It’s quiet on the roadway. The auto is one that you’ll maneuver easily in tight parking lots. In fact, its length is about the same as a sedan.
It comes with a 3.8-liter V6 engine. This engine offers 260 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. This is plenty of power for most passing and accelerating.
At the time, Hyundai included its most sophisticated powertrain in the edition. Along with the all-aluminum V6, the model has variable valve timing, a six-speed automatic transmission, and vibration-limiting electronically controlled engine mounts. The automatic transmission pairs nicely with the model’s engine.
In testing, the vehicle reached a speed of 60 miles per hour in 8.3 seconds. Reviewers consider this time average for the class. You’ll also notice that it takes corners quite well.
Fuel economy numbers for a front-wheel drive model are 17 miles per gallon in the city and 22 miles per gallon on the highway. With the all-wheel drive, you’ll get 16 miles per gallon on surface streets and 21 miles per gallon on the highway.
How Much Will You Pay?
When the car company first introduced the model, the price was around $27,000. Today, you’ll find a 2007 model for about $5,500. You can expect to pay around $6,000 for a 2008 model.
If you're interested in a 2009 model, you can expect to pay about $7,000 today. The 2010 editions are going for around $8,000 while a 2011 model will be about $9,000. A 2012 model will be around $10,500 or so. As with all used vehicles, the cost will depend on the condition and the number of miles that it has.
Pros and Cons of the 2012 Hyundai Veracruz
- A lot of bang for your buck
- A luxury interior with every trim level
- Quality ride and handling
- Less room than the competition
- Doesn’t offer rear-seat DVD entertainment
- Exterior styling is a little bland
The Hyundai Veracruz was first sold in the United States in 2007. In 2012, the CEO, John Krafcik, confirmed that the Hyundai Santa Fe would replace it. According to publications, the vehicle model never gained the traction that the carmaker thought it should.
The car company replaced the Veracruz with the Hyundai Santa in 2013. The Santa Fe is a crossover that the company continues to sell to this day.
Don’t let the car company’s decision to bail on the SUV sway you from buying a nice, used Veracruz. The model is an auto with a fine on-road presence. It has the space and high-end interior that’s desired by most consumers. That's the beauty of the Hyundai Veracruz.
Specs & Key Features of the 2012 Hyundai Veracruz
- Body Style
- 4 Door Sport Utility
- 260 hp
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- 3.8L DOHC MPI CVVT 24-valve V6 engine
- 6-speed automatic transmission w/OD, SHIFTRONIC, lock-up torque converter
- Front wheel drive
- 130-amp alternator
- 80-amp/hr battery
- Independent MacPherson strut front suspension -inc: coil springs, gas shocks
- Independent multi-link rear suspension -inc: coil springs, gas shocks
- Front/rear stabilizer bars
- Engine RPM sensing pwr rack & pinion steering
- Ventilated front/solid rear disc brakes
- Dual exhaust
- 17" x 7.0" 5-spoke alloy wheels
- P245/65R17 tires
- Compact spare tire
- Roof rack side rails
- Dark gray lower/body-color upper bumpers
- Rear spoiler
- Black metallic grille w/chrome surround
- Dark gray body-side moldings
- Auto on/off halogen headlamps
- Fog lights
- LED center high mount stop lamp
- Body-color pwr heated mirrors -inc: approach lights, LED side repeater lights
- Front solar glass
- Rear privacy glass
- 2-speed variable intermittent wipers w/washer
- Intermittent rear window wiper w/washer
- Body-color door handles
- AM/FM stereo w/CD/MP3 player -inc: (6) speakers, iPod/aux/USB jacks, XM satellite radio w/(3) months subscription service *XM N/A in AK or HI*
- Roof mounted micro antenna
- Cloth seating surfaces
- Front bucket seats -inc: 8-way pwr driver seat, pwr driver lumbar, active head restraints, seatback pockets
- 2nd row 60/40 split-bench seat -inc: fold-flat driver/passenger side, adjustable head restraints
- 3rd row 50/50 split fold-into-floor seats -inc: adjustable head restraints
- Front center console -inc: temp controlled storage, dual cupholders
- Center stack mounted cigarette lighter & ash tray
- 2nd row center console w/(2) cupholders
- (2) 3rd row seat cupholders
- Full floor carpeting
- Door scuff plates
- Leather wrapped tilt/telescopic steering wheel -inc: audio/cruise controls
- Instrumentation -inc: speedometer, tachometer, coolant temp, fuel level, odometer, trip odometer, clock, outside temp
- Indicators -inc: PRND, cruise, turn signal/hazard, high beam, ESC, TPMS
- Warnings lights -inc: oil pressure, battery, door ajar, airbag, low fuel, brake, check engine, trunk lid open, rear tailgate open, seatbelt, ABS
- Warning chimes -inc: key-in-ignition w/door ajar, seatbelt
- Trip computer
- Pwr windows w/driver auto-up/down
- Pwr door locks
- Remote keyless entry system w/alarm -inc: (2) integrated key fobs
- Remote hood & fuel door releases
- Cruise control
- Outside temperature display
- Conversation mirror
- Air conditioning w/cabin air filter -inc: rear controls, rear seat heat vents
- Rear window defroster w/timer
- Locking glovebox
- Woodgrain accents
- (3) 12-volt pwr outlets -inc: front console, rear, cargo area
- Dark gray interior door handles
- Front/rear door pockets
- Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors w/visor extension
- (4) assist grips
- Lighting -inc: front map, 2nd row reading, glovebox, ashtray, dome, ignition, cargo area
- Black leather wrapped shift knob
- (2) rear seat coat hangers
- 4-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS) -inc: electronic brake force distribution (EBD), brake assist
- Traction control system (TCS) w/electronic stability control (ESC)
- Shift interlock system
- Front/rear crumple zones
- 2.5 MPH bumpers
- Body-side reinforcements
- Hood buckling creases/safety stops
- Dual front advanced airbags
- Front seat-mounted side-impact airbags
- Roof-mounted side-impact curtain airbags for all rows
- Occupant classification system (OCS)
- 3-point seatbelts for all positions
- Front height adjustable seatbelts w/pretensioners & force limiters
- Backup warning system
- Pwr window lock-out button
- Rear door child safety locks
- 2nd row lower anchors & tethers for children (LATCH) system
- Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)
- Energy-absorbing steering column