Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Sporty hatchback
- Distinctive styling
- Standard 2.0-liter engine
- Impressive dynamics
- Affordable high-performance version
Hyundai Veloster: Everything You Need to Know
About the Hyundai Veloster:
The Hyundai Veloster is a front-wheel-drive, sport-compact hatchback. Known for its quirky styling, the four-passenger vehicle has been on sale in North America since 2011. The Veloster is an entry-level hatch, with an available high-performance model as well.
What’s New in the 2019 Hyundai Veloster?
The 2019 Hyundai Veloster is all new and completely revamped. The South Korean automaker’s N brand makes its U.S. debut as well. Veloster N is the first-ever U.S. model to sport Hyundai’s performance badge.
Other notable changes for the Hyundai Veloster include:
- All-new exterior and interior design.
- Standard LED daytime running lights.
- Available LED headlights and taillights.
- New standard 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine.
- Updated optional 1.6-liter turbo four-cylinder engine.
- New rear multi-link suspension.
- Standard torque vectoring.
- More standard safety features.
- Available 8.0-inch infotainment display.
The 2019 Hyundai Veloster is available in three main trims:
- 2.0: The Veloster 2.0 is equipped with a standard 2.0-liter four-cylinder and mated to a six-speed manual or automatic transmission. This is the only non-turbocharged engine for the model. Its output is 147 horsepower and 132 pound-feet of torque.
- Turbo: Veloster Turbo models upgrade to a 1.6-liter four-cylinder turbocharged engine. It produces 201 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. Available R-Spec and Ultimate packages mean a choice of a six-speed manual or a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission.
- N: The Veloster N features a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that offers a turbocharged 260 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque. An optional Performance package increases the horsepower to 275. The lone transmission is a six-speed manual.
What Does the 2019 Hyundai Veloster Compete With?
The Hyundai Veloster competes with the following vehicles:
The segment for performance-tuned front-wheel-drive compact cars is a tiny one. The more powerful versions (i.e., Focus RS, Golf R) feature all-wheel-drive setups to better accommodate higher power-and-torque combinations. Nevertheless, this small selection is full of vastly different personalities.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Hyundai Veloster
Although redesigned for 2019, the Hyundai Veloster retains its trademark 2+1 door configuration. The driver’s side befits a single door, which gives the impression the Veloster is a three-door hatchback. From the passenger side, however, the Veloster looks like a five-door hatchback thanks to its two-door setup. The oddball design – whatever its inspiration – is just another layer to the Veloster’s nonconformist attitude.
For 2019, the Veloster features Hyundai’s signature “cascade” grille designs with fascia enhancements to exude a more performance-oriented stance. Housings for the headlights, taillights, and fog lights are redesigned and seemingly stretch the vehicle’s profile. Fenders and wheel arches are larger to emote a bold presence.
A shark fin-style antenna is standard on all but the Veloster N. The Veloster N is outfitted with an exclusive, larger rear spoiler. A two-tone black roofline adds a sportier touch. This is available for Veloster Turbo Ultimate models only.
LED daytime running lights are standard, and LED headlights and taillights are added to Turbo R-Spec models and above. In the rear, entry-level models sport a single exhaust. Dual-outlets appear on Turbo and N models. Wheels are available in 17- and 18-inch styles.
Interior Style in the 2019 Hyundai Veloster
The interior amenities of the Hyundai Veloster are on par with other compact cars. Cloth seats are standard with leatherette or leather in higher trims. Also standard are steering wheel-mounted controls, a 7.0-inch display screen, Bluetooth, and smartphone integration. Heated front seats are available as well.
Paired with comfortable seats and a driver-oriented cockpit, and the Hyundai Veloster easily performs daily-driver tasks. Unless you need the backseat.
The Hyundai Veloster is a hatchback so cargo room is useful. But due to its short overall length, only 19.9 cubic feet of capacity is offered behind the second row. While this is more space than a Mini Cooper or Volkswagen Beetle, the Honda Civic Type R sedan offers 25.7 cubic feet.
Rear legroom is tight at 34.1 inches. This is less than the Civic Type R and VW Golf GTI but more than the Ford Focus ST. The Veloster loses the headroom race as well. Rear occupants get three inches less than other performance compacts.
Thankfully, the vehicle is competitive in front-seat comfort. Although a hatchback, the Veloster is a four-passenger car. The Civic Type R also only seats four as well, but the Focus ST and Golf GTI have room for five.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Hyundai Veloster?
The 2019 Hyundai Veloster is equipped with an impressive amount of standard and available infotainment and connectivity features.
New technology for the 2019 Veloster includes:
- Available 8.0-inch touchscreen with navigation.
- Available head-up display.
- Available wireless device charging.
- Available Infinity premium audio.
- Available next-generation Blue Link connected services.
Hyundai’s Blue Link is a connected-car service and Veloster owners will enjoy three years of complimentary access. This app-based system includes vehicle safety, diagnostic, and guidance services. Optional features such as remote start, climate controls, vehicle finder, and door locks also are available. Blue Link can be managed via the rearview mirror, smartphone app, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and on the Hyundai web portal.
Standard technology features are:
- Keyless entry.
- 7.0-inch multimedia touchscreen.
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
- USB charging ports.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Hyundai Veloster?
The 2019 Hyundai Veloster has yet to be tested for crash worthiness. There are no ratings available from either National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) or the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). However, previous model years have scored a five-star overall rating from NHTSA. But in the most recent test conducted by the IIHS, the Hyundai Veloster was not a stellar safety performer.
New safety features for the 2019 Veloster include:
- Automatic emergency front braking.
- Lane keep assist.
- Driver attention alert.
- Available blind-spot monitoring.
- Available adaptive cruise control.
Other safety technologies include:
- Rearview camera with dynamic guidelines.
- Available pedestrian detection.
- Available rear cross-traffic alert.
What is the 2019 Hyundai Veloster Like to Drive?
The 2019 Hyundai Veloster drives as intended: fun. Its power-to-weight ratio works in its favor. With only 416 pounds between its leanest and heaviest versions, the Veloster can be tossed around with delight. Boosted to 275 horsepower when equipped with the Performance package, the Veloster N may be South Korean made but its dynamics are German tuned.
Should one be so inclined, the Veloster N can stay the course on the autocross and on the track. On the road, its prowess for quick acceleration with the smoothest of ease may catch some unawares until flashing lights appear in the rearview mirror. Thankfully, there are other Veloster options for those not in a hurry to collect DMV demerits.
The Veloster 2.0 features the only non-turbocharged power of the lineup. The model offers efficiency and fun as the vehicle can be equipped with either a six-speed manual or automatic. Three driver modes (Normal, Sport, and Smart) can be selected based on preference.
A multi-rear suspension and active torque vectoring are standard as well. These further add to the Veloster’s stable handling. Fuel economy is EPA rated at 25 city, 33 highway, and 28 combined mpg for manual transmission models. Automatics are estimated to return 27/34/30 mpg.
The 1.6-liter turbo engine-equipped Veloster Turbo models can be had with the same six-speed manual or upgraded to a seven-speed DCT and feature Active Engine Sound. This augments the intake and exhaust sounds within the cabin. Opting for an R-Spec means receiving trim-specific badging, a B&M Racing sport shifter, a sport-tuned suspension, and Michelin summer performance tires. The EPA estimates mileage to be 26/33/29 mpg for the manual and 28/34/30 mpg for the DCT.
The Veloster N is rated at 22/28/25 mpg, regardless of package. All 2019 Veloster models require regular octane fuel.
Should I Buy a 2019 Hyundai Veloster?
The 2019 Hyundai Veloster is a great buy for those looking for excellent performance chops without paying the high prices usually associated. For example, the Honda Civic Type R was notoriously sold for beyond its suggested MSRP—moving into luxury sports car territory. The Hyundai Veloster N is low-key in that regard but its return is immediate. Track day aficionados will not be disappointed.
The Veloster Turbo R-Spec can be a more budget-friendly alternative while the Veloster 2.0 might be more appealing to those needing basic transportation in a not-so-basic design. But those looking for the practicality of a hatchback may be disappointed with the Veloster’s less than stellar cargo capacity compared to other compact hatchbacks. And the rear seats would only be comfortable for car seat-bound kiddies, young children, or very, very petite adults.
Should I buy a Used Hyundai Veloster? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The Hyundai Veloster has only been around for a few years. And even with a five-star NHTSA rating, the poor IIHS showing may be a concern to some buyers. That being said, later-model Veloster Turbo models are reselling in the mid- to high-teens, which is about a $10K savings from the 2019 version. If performance is more your ilk, especially with an intent to modify, a used Veloster could be a smart buy.
How Much Does the 2019 Hyundai Veloster Cost?
The 2019 Hyundai Veloster has a starting MSRP of $18,500. The upper-echelon Veloster N is listed at $26,900. Add another $2,100 for the Performance package. As of late, Hyundai has been minimizing complicated vehicle ordering by creating all-inclusive trims. The Veloster 2.0, Turbo, and N is as simplified and self-explanatory a model lineup there is. The only optional package available is exclusive to the Veloster N. Destination charges add $920.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Hyundai Veloster
- Bold design
- Cheap, clean fun
- Affordable performance
- Simplified trim/model structure
- Bold design
- Small second row
- Lack of updated crash safety ratings
The History of Hyundai Veloster: 8 Years of Veloster
The Hyundai Veloster first appeared as the HND-3 concept in 2007 followed by the Veloster Coupe in 2011. The Veloster showcases Hyundai’s engineering with much of the vehicle’s mechanics and dynamics being developed in-house, including the automaker’s first-ever DCT.
The Hyundai Veloster has been the base for several concept vehicles. A regular at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show, the Veloster has been associated with super performance or super outlandish.
Sold globally, the Hyundai Veloster is built in Ulsan, South Korea.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Hyundai Veloster
- Body Style
- 2.0L Atkinson 4-Cylinder MPI DOHC
- 147 hp
- 6-Speed Manual
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Lane Departure Warning
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L Atkinson 4-Cylinder MPI DOHC -inc: engine cover and hood insulator
- Transmission: 6-Speed Manual -inc: drive mode select: normal, sport and hillstart assist control
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 4.47 Axle Ratio
- 60-Amp/Hr Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 120 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 13.2 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs and Brake Assist
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 17" x 7.0J Alloy
- Tires: 215/45R17 All-Season
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Convex Spotter and Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: AM/FM 7" Display Audio -inc: Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, 6 speakers, dual charging USB ports, Smartphone/MP3 auxiliary input jacks, Bluetooth hands-free phone system and speed-sensitive automatic volume control,
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock and Steering Wheel Controls
- 6 Speakers
- Streaming Audio
- Fixed Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way adjustable driver's seat, front passenger slide/recline, driver height adjustment and front passenger seatback pocket
- Driver Seat
- 4-Way Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Mechanical Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Premium Cloth Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage, Rear Console w/Storage and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Rigid Cargo Cover
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Fixed Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA) Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA) Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera