Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Two different trims available
- Includes robust connectivity and information systems
- Provides many useful accessories
- Boasts full-featured occupant safety systems
- Built to durable Hyundai standards
The 2019 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid is a fuel-efficient, peppy, and durable car. It offers drivers and passengers many comforts and conveniences. The Sonata Plug-In Hybrid comes in two separate trims.
Each style gives vehicle occupants access to large numbers of useful accessories. Plus, this hybrid vehicle also scores high marks in the performance, technology, and safety areas.
The Sonata Plug-In Hybrid sports a lot of useful and popular features that make it valuable for people from all walks of life. Its fuel efficiency and range are perks that everyone, and the environment, can appreciate. At the same time, its clever engine and drivetrain designs allow it to test and compete with many a competitor off the line.
Even though it punches well above its weight in the power department, this plug-in wonder still makes safety a big priority. Plus, it does a good job of keeping its occupants comfortable, connected, and secure on their journeys.
The 2019 Sonata Hybrid is obviously capable in the safety, technology, seating, and efficiency areas. Drivers who range from young people just starting their careers, young families, commuters, students, and more will be served well by this sedan.
What Are Some of the Available Trims?
The 2019 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid comes in two trim levels. The trim level above base level offers vehicle occupants extra options. The Sonata Plug-In Hybrid trim levels include:
- SE Trim: The base trim for Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrids comes equipped with powerful DOHC, GDI Atkinson engines with 2.0L of displacement. These gas-powered motors create adequate torque and horsepower, making them good bets for use on short or long journeys. The SE trim also has several goodies that make life easier for drivers, including high-resolution rearview cameras.
- Limited Trim: This trim level improves upon the additions offered by the SE trim. As such, the Limited-level sedan has features like powerful electric and gas motors. While many gas-powered vehicles have extra power at higher revolutions, cars usually need the most torque at far lower engine speeds. Electric motor technology makes this possible by supplying max torque without delay.
- Besides its power, the Limited trim level offers many high-end extras behind the wheel. For example, drivers and passengers can enjoy front seats with perforations for cooling and heating purposes. The Limited level works to increase comfort yet further with automatic climate controls that free passengers with split zones, power-operated seats, and heated steering wheels.
Does This Line of Cars Offer Awareness-Enhancing Technologies?
The Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid does indeed offer drivers various awareness boosting options. These options include:
Lane Keeping Helper: While most experienced drivers can keep their cars in the proper lanes of travel, there are times when such drivers may be prone to attention lapses. For example, it is easy for tired vehicle operators to lose control of their vehicles.
The 2019 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid has special Lane Keeping Assist tools that help to battle such dangers. This system keeps track of vehicle motion and provides operators with special alerts during lane drifts. Plus, Lane Keeping Assist can also move vehicles to safety when necessary.
Cross Traffic Alerts: Many drivers find it difficult to see behind their vehicles when backing up or out into traffic. The Hyundai Cross Traffic Alert system prevents this clear and ever-present danger. This feature performs scans and sends drivers warnings if it finds dangerous objects in view.
Automatic Brake Control: Another technology that works to keep Sonata Hybrid Plug-In occupants safer is the proprietary Pedestrian Detection system. This system can detect pedestrians or objects that are in the vicinity of the vehicles. If drivers can't take evasive action, the system can use the brakes to stop the vehicles and to avoid damage or personal injury.
Does It Help Occupants Stay Connected? It sure does. This tech-packed car performs many important functions:
- A feature that makes life easier for the occupants of Hyundai Sonatas is wireless charging capability. Smartphones, laptops, or other devices that are Qi capable can receive fast charges from internal charging areas. For riders who like old-school styles, every vehicle passenger gets his or her own personal wired USB station.
- Yet another way in which the 2019 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Plug-in vehicle makes life simpler is with its keyless control function. Keyless systems can, from a distance, perform a lot of functions that once required close-up access.
How Fuel Efficient Is the Vehicle?
The 2019 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Plug-In vehicle is very fuel-efficient indeed. Vehicle rating agencies including the EPA certify that this vehicle can reach 99 MPGe when using both the gas and electric motors.
Drivers who wish to maximize the green potential of this vehicle will appreciate the total electric travel range of about 30 miles. Along with fuel tank size, these features let Sonata Hybrid drivers travel about 600 miles between refills.
What Kinds of Safety Systems Does the Vehicle Have?
The year 2019 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Plug-In vehicle offers drivers and passengers a slew of safety-boosting features. Included in this list are goodies such as Vehicle Stability Management, driver vision boosters, and cradling airbag coverage.
Many modern driving situations, such as heavy traffic and bad weather, can challenge the skills of even experienced drivers. The Sonata Plug-In backs drivers up in this regard with the available Vehicle Stability Management service. This system deploys technologies like anti-lock brakes, traction control, and electronic stability control that work together to keep these vehicles as stable as possible.
The Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid also helps to boost safety by increasing driver visual acuity. It does this with tools such as automatic headlights and headlight-dimming rear view mirrors.
Automatic headlights deploy high-energy LED beams in special pivoting housings. These housings can turn in the direction of steering wheel travel, thus illuminating the areas around curves. Backing up this system is the review mirror that reduces glare from high beams.
What about Crash Protection?
If accidents do happen, the Hyundai Sonata Plug-In vehicle offers comprehensive airbag coverage for both drivers and passengers. Examples of some airbag offerings include side curtains, drivers knee, and advanced dual-front air cushions.
Other similar technologies include steering columns that collapse to absorb energy, seatbelt pre-tensioners that act to prevent injury, and extensive crumple zones on both the front and rear ends. The available LATCH fasteners made for use with child seats extend this safety bubble to Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid occupants of all sizes and age groups.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid
- Quite fuel efficient
- Offers robust power at zero RPMs and plenty of thrust at higher speeds
- Provides best-in-class interior passenger space
- Comes well-equipped with a wide variety of productivity improving technologies
- Could offer longer all-electric PHEV ranges
- A larger fuel tank could extend mpg driving range
Compared to most cars, the history of the Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid family of vehicles is short. In 2016, the experts at Hyundai produced the first of this line of plug-in hybrid cars. The size of its onboard battery distinguishes the earliest model of hybrids. This battery pack was much larger and heavier than that contained by the current model.
Nonetheless, these older models packed smaller punches than more recent batteries. Successive versions of this vehicle brought incremental improvements. For example, the 2017 model brought perks like Blue Link service and driver-assist headlights.
The 2018 offering upped the ante with many extras like driver awareness tools and adaptive cruise control systems. The 2019 versions go the extra mile with 220V/240V charging ports. Hyundai cut recharging periods to three hours or less. Regular Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid charging mode uses 110V/120V ports, which allow for full charging overnight.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid
- Body Style
- 2.0L Nu GDI DOHC 16V Inline 4-Cylinder
- 202 hp
- 6-Speed Electronic Auto w/SHIFTRONIC
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Assist
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Change Assist
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L Nu GDI DOHC 16V Inline 4-Cylinder
- Transmission: 6-Speed Electronic Auto w/SHIFTRONIC -inc: shift lock
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 3.51 Axle Ratio
- 54-Amp/Hr Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Hybrid Electric Motor
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 14.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Regenerative 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs and Brake Assist
- Lithium Polymer Traction Battery w/3.3 kW Onboard Charger, 8.7 Hrs Charge Time @ 110/120V and 2.7 Hrs Charge Time @ 220/240V
- Wheels: 17" x 7.0J Eco-Spoke Alloy
- Tires: P215/55R17 AS
- Wheels w/Machined w/Painted Accents Accents
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Chrome Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Chrome Grille
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM/SiriusXM/MP3 Audio System -inc: 7-inch color touchscreen display, 6-speakers, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, iPod/USB and AUX input jacks, integrated Bluetooth w/phonebook transfer, HD Radio technology and Blue Link Telematics (Gen 2) w/Blue Link connected car services, Blue Link connected care package, Blue Link remote package for 3 years (enrollment required)
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation and Radio Data System
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Turn-By-Turn Navigation Directions
- Heated Front Bucket Seats -inc: 8-way power driver seat w/4-way lumbar support and 6-way manual passenger seat (height-adjustable)
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- Bench Front Facing Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Traction Battery Level, Power/Regen, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Smart Trunk Proximity Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Piano Black Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Seating Surfaces
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Blue Link Tracker System
- Smart Device Integration
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD) with Lane Change Assist (LCA) Blind Spot Sensor
- and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Blue Link
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera