Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Seats seven comfortably
- Intuitive technology
- Lots of cargo space
- Impressive towing capacity
The new Hyundai Santa Fe XL is a compact SUV that seats seven comfortably and has a lot to offer. This vehicle is great for large families, parents who moonlight as pee-wee coaches, or people who do enough hauling to need serious cargo space but not enough to justify a full sized truck.
Formerly known as the Santa Fe, the new Santa Fe XL comes in two models, the SE and the Limited Ultimate. Both models start at less than $40,000 MSRP, so while the Santa Fe XL is not the cheapest sport utility vehicle in its class, it is one of the best in terms of overall value. This car also comes with tons of tech-safety and convenience features that give the 2019 Santa Fe XL extra curb appeal for parents of young children.
From front grille to back bumper, the Santa Fe XL was designed with driver comfort and convenience in mind. The sleek body design is reminiscent of a luxury compact SUV, and some of the technological features available on the Santa Fe are more comparable to a luxury car as well.
For example, the hands-free smart liftgate with Auto-Open detects a key in its proximity and automatically opens when the key stays nearby for more than three seconds, making loading a snap.
Seating in the Hyundai Santa Fe XL
Most cars have heated seats these days, but Hyundai takes it a step beyond with their ventilated and heated seats that keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Hyundai also has adjustable height seats that mean short or tall drivers can ride comfortably.
Parking the Hyundai Santa
Getting the Santa Fe in and out of parking spaces and driveways is much simpler thanks to the reverse camera in the Santa Fe XL. Unlike other static rearview cameras, Santa Fe's 360-degree camera keeps track of the entire vehicle exterior using a camera and computerized sensors.
Those sensors make it possible for Hyundai to add intuitive safety features like lane departure alerts, a cruise control system that knows when the car ahead of you is slowing down and adjusts automatically, and blind spot detection.
Hyundai Santa Fe XL Mileage
2019 Hyundai Santa has an 18.8 gallon tank and gets an EPA estimated 18 miles per gallon in city traffic. The estimated highway miles per gallon are 23, comparable to other SUVs of its size and class.
The 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL has a powerful 3.3 Liter V6 engine and a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. The torque on this small SUV is 252 pounds per foot, just slightly less than what you could expect from a Ford F-150 or similarly sized truck.
The Santa Fe's six-speed automatic transmission handles well on highways with or without a hitch attached.
How Does the Hyundai Santa Fe XL Ride?
Some SUV's make every bump feel like a rollercoaster, but Hyundai has a multi-link suspension system that maximizes comfort. The front of the car has MacPherson struts, a name synonymous with quality. The rear suspension is a multi-link system with gas shock absorber and stabilizer bar that keeps your ride even so you don't have to worry about breaking cargo in transit.
Speaking of cargo, the Santa Fe XL has a lot of interior cargo space. The second and third-row seats fold down as needed to give you space for whatever you haul around, whether its children or fishing equipment.
With all the seats up, you still have 13.5 cubic feet of cargo room, larger than most sedan trunks. You can fold the back row of seats down to provide 40 cubic feet of cargo space or fold both rows down to double the area to 80 cubic feet of mobile storage.
Safety in the Hyundai Santa Fe XL
Parents will love the award-winning safety of the Santa Fe XL for transporting their most precious cargo. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) gave Santa Fe five out of five stars for overall vehicle safety. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IHHS) said that the 2019 Santa Fe XL with (optional) HID high-dimension headlights and Automatic Emergency Braking system was their top safety pick for the year.
There is more to vehicle safety than performing well in crash tests, and the 2019 Santa Fe has plenty of intelligent features to make you a safer driver. The built-in multi-view camera system allows you to see the entire exterior of the vehicle. Lane departure warnings, automatic brakes that detect pedestrians or other imminent collisions, and blind spot detection with rear-cross traffic alert round out the 2019 Hyundai's smart safety system.
Cars Like the Hyundai Santa Fe XL
Is Santa Fe XL a Good First Car?
Hyundai is well known within the industry for producing affordable vehicles that are great for new drivers, but the 2019 Santa is a larger, wider vehicle that is actually a compact SUV. This is an excellent car for an experienced driver, but with a starting MSRP of $30,950, you might not want your teenager behind the wheel.
Is Santa Fe a Reliable Family Car?
Santa Fe XL is a reliable car for families, especially parents of young children. The vehicle has 360-degree multiview cameras to keep you aware of your surroundings, and the 2019 Santa Fe XL was rated IIHS' top safety pick for the year.
Can I Haul with a Santa Fe XL?
You can definitely do light hauling with the Santa Fe XL. It has a towing capacity of up to 5,000 pounds and a multi-link suspension system that means you will have a smooth ride, even with a hitch attached.
Is Santa Fe XL a Good Car for Rideshare Drivers?
The 2019 Santa Fe XL seats seven, so for most rideshare drivers, this car would allow them to carry more passengers and, in theory, get better tips. However, this compact SUV only gets an EPA estimated 18 city miles per gallon, so trips to the tank will definitely cut into profits.
At the end of the day, whether it is a good car for you to use to drive depends on what type of region you live in, traffic patterns, highways and other features that only you know best!
Is the Santa Fe a Good Car for Roadtrips?
Despite moderate fuel efficiency, the Hyundai Santa Fe is one of the best cars for road trips. Not only does it seat seven, but it is also versatile enough to offer up to 80 cubic feet of cargo space. Add to that plenty of legroom, a panoramic sunroof, and third row USB charging capability, and the Santa Fe becomes a vacation on wheels for you and your crew.
Overall, the Santa Fe XL is a good pick for those who are looking for a mid-to-small sized SUV, and that includes families with young children. The versatility, decent hauling capacity and high overall safety rankings make this a standout vehicle in its class. On the other hand, the Hyundai Santa Fe XL's price and fuel economy make it slightly out of sync with other budget SUVs.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL
- Comfortable: roomy interior, heated and ventilated seats, height adjustable driver's seat.
- Safe: IIHS Award winner, lots of smart safety features, 360 camera, lane departure assistance
- Design: looks like a pricier make and model
- High capacity: tows 5000 pounds, torque similar to F-150, smooth ride even with a hitch.
- Price: Cost is higher than other SUVs of similar class and size
- Fuel Efficiency: Lower city and highway miles per gallon than any of its competitors
Up until 2019, the Santa Fe XL was called simply the Santa Fe. Hyundai released the Santa Fe in 2001 as their first sport utility vehicle. Through the first, second and third generations, Santa Fe has gotten more compact, sleeker and safer. The 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL is the first model of the fourth generation.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 3.3L GDI DOHC 24-Valve V6
- 290 hp
- 6-Speed Automatic w/SHIFTRONIC
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.3L GDI DOHC 24-Valve V6
- Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic w/SHIFTRONIC -inc: OD lock-up torque converter and manual shift mode
- 3.041 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 5,512 lbs
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Oil Cooler
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 54-Amp/Hr Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 150 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 18.8 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 18" x 7.5J Alloy
- Tires: P235/60R18
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Black Rear Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Chrome Side Windows Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Convex Spotter and Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Chrome Grille
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: AM/FM/HD/CD/MP3 Display Audio -inc: SiriusXM radio, Blue Link connected car system, iPod/USB/auxiliary jack, 7" audio display, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, USB/aux input jack, Bluetooth hands-free phone system and voice recognition,
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control and Steering Wheel Controls
- 6 Speakers
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Turn-By-Turn Navigation Directions
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: power driver's seat w/lumbar support
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 6-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment and Fore/Aft Movement
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Fixed 50-50 Split-Bench 3rd Row Seat Front, Manual Fold Into Floor, 2 Manual and Adjustable Head Restraints
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Headliner/Pillar Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Simulated Wood Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Seating Surfaces w/Yes Essentials
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Blue Link
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera
- Ordering Combination Code : -X