Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Runs on either electric and gasoline power, or a combination of both
- Gets an estimated 52 miles per gallon (city/highway combined)
- Plug-in can travel 29 miles on only electric power
- Is estimated to achieve 119 MPGe
- Has plenty of room for five passengers plus cargo in the hatch
- Car lists for an affordable price, under $30,000 even for the Limited trim
The Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid offers many advantages as an energy-efficient crossover vehicle. Rather than forcing customers to choose between using electric or gas, this Hyundai has dual power systems that work well together.
The plug-in car appeals to many who like its sporty appearance. With sleek lines and angles in the right places, the Hyundai vehicle looks aerodynamic, young, and fast. Sixteen-inch wheels match well with the Hyundai Ioniq's size.
Several available options can enhance the hybrid's style. A power-tilt-and-slide moonroof can let in light and make things feel more open. Leather trim is available on the hybrid car, so the seats have a more luxurious feel.
Under the Plug-in Hybrid's Hood
A 1.6-liter GDI DOHC four-cylinder engine powers the vehicle when you want it to. It has 104 horsepower and 109 pound-feet of torque.
An electric motor complements the gasoline-powered engine. It contributes an additional 60 horsepower and 125 pound-feet of torque.
The total power output is competitive given what other hybrid cars are capable of. While it may not have the most power in the market, it's definitely enough for many types of driving conditions.
How Do You Charge the Hyundai's Electric Motor?
You can plug the hybrid into any standard outlet. A battery can get fully charged in under nine hours. There's the option to put in a 220V/240V outlet, which cuts charging time down to approximately two hours.
Some people who plan on charging a lot at home will opt to install the more powerful outlet. Others who don't mind charging their Ioniqs overnight might stick to the basic version. With a Hyundai Blue Link app installed, you can even schedule your charging during low-demand hours.
The battery of the Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in sits under the passenger and cargo area in the back. This convenient storage space helps the battery stay tucked away.
Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Drivetrain
The car comes standard with front-wheel drive. It also comes with a dual-clutch transmission that's designed to deliver the right amount of power. Six-speed EcoShift and SHIFTRONIC technology help with efficiency and power delivery.
Front and rear suspension smooth out the ride. In the rear, there's a multilink suspension; up front, you'll find MacPherson struts with gas shock absorbers and coil springs.
A number of pieces went into the design of the plug-in vehicle to make it work well. For example, the car's front grille has an active air flap. It can pivot according to the needs of the vehicle, letting in more or less air depending on the situation.
What Are the Drive Modes?
The Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid gives drivers two different drive modes: Eco and Sport. While Eco offers a fuel-efficient experience, Sport provides a little more power.
In ECO mode, the car will upshift earlier than normal so that it can be more economical. In SPORT mode, the opposite occurs. The lower gears hold a bit longer for more power.
The Experience Sitting Inside an Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
The driver and passenger can take advantage of a roomy seating area. Legroom measures 42.2 inches up front but only 35.7 inches in the back. For this reason, taller passengers may find the rear seats a bit cramped.
In the dash, you'll get to see how your car is performing. The electric and gasoline ranges show so that you know when it's time to charge or fill up.
In terms of cargo room, the design of the Ioniq as a hatchback offers advantages. Cargo volume, at 23 cubic feet, is pretty impressive given the car's size. The back seat is a 60/40 split bench, so you can fold it down to increase storage space.
Drivers can use the standard rearview camera when backing up. This improves safety and helps with maneuvering. A blind-spot indicator is standard on the basic plug-in, and there's also a blind-spot detection system on the Limited trim.
Both trims have what we've come to expect from modern vehicles, such as anti-lock brakes and stability management systems. They also have other safety components, like brake assist and a full range of airbags.
The Limited trim has many additional features. These "smart" systems use various sensors to detect the potential of an accident. They can alert the driver and even take preventive measures to lower the possibility of an impact.
The Limited offers much more in terms of premium touches. Those who appreciate the little things might consider upgrading to this trim.
For instance, chrome accents on the Limited's exterior help the car stand out on the road. LED headlights shine brightly at night, and the Limited gives the option to get even brighter HID lights.
The standard trim comes with cloth seating while the Limited has leather seating surfaces. On the lower trim, you can adjust the driver seat in six different ways as opposed to the 10-way power adjustment on the Limited.
Both trims can keep people comfortable with dual automatic temperature control. The difference with the Limited is that there are floor console-mounted vents for the back passengers.
Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Infotainment
Hyundai packed a lot of technology into the Ioniq. Bluetooth, Android Auto, and Apple CarPlay allow drivers to connect their phones wirelessly to the car. Voice recognition makes it easier to keep attention on the road.
When it comes to charging devices, there are potentially two options. Both trims have USB jacks, and the Limited trim has the option for wireless charging.
The infotainment system provides entertainment and connectivity. All of the information displays on the 7-inch touch screen, which you can upgrade to an 8-inch touch screen on the Limited. That larger touch screen includes built-in navigation to make it easier to find your way.
The system can broadcast HD Radio as well as SiriusXM audio. If music is your thing, consider upgrading to the Infinity Premium Audio system that comes with high speakers. That setup on the Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid includes a center channel and subwoofer to round out the sound.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid
- 119 MPGe and an all-electric range of 29 miles
- Heated front seats as standard features
- 23 cubic feet of cargo space
- Standard Android Auto and Apple CarPlay in infotainment system
- Price tag starting at $25,350
- Limited legroom in the second row
- Steering lacks responsiveness
- Budget options on some interior design elements
- Low roofline makes it harder to load large items in the back
- Charging time of eight-and-a-half hours with a standard outlet
Hyundai, a brand known for making a range of budget-friendly vehicles, launched the Ioniq in 2017. The Ioniq is the first hybrid and electric vehicle that the company, based in South Korea, has manufactured.
As a lightweight, specially designed crossover, it fills an important role for Hyundai. As more people start to search for vehicles with low fuel consumption, they'll look to vehicles like the Ioniq.
In 2018, the Ioniq Plug-in joined the lineup as an alternative to the hybrid and electric versions. This gave drivers a new option, one that didn’t depend on gas consumption.
The 2019 Ioniq Plug-in model is mostly the same as the 2018 model. Some exceptions are that driver attention alert and automatic high-beam assist are now standard. Overall, the Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid offers good value at an attractive price.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid
- Body Style
- 1.6L GDI DOH 16-Valve I4
- 139 hp
- 6-Speed EcoShift Dual Clutch Auto
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 1.6L GDI DOH 16-Valve I4
- Transmission: 6-Speed EcoShift Dual Clutch Auto -inc: SHIFTRONIC, sport mode select and paddle shifters w/regenerative braking system
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 4.19 Axle Ratio
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front Anti-Roll Bar
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 11.4 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Regenerative 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Lithium Polymer Traction Battery w/3.3 kW Onboard Charger and 2.3 Hrs Charge Time @ 220/240V
- Wheels: 16" x 6.5J Eco-Spoke Aluminum Alloy
- Tires: 205/55R16 All Season
- Wheels w/Silver w/Painted Accents
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Gray Bodyside Moldings
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Metal-Look Grille
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Auto High-Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM Display Audio -inc: 8" high resolution color touchscreen display, rearview camera w/dynamic guidance, hybrid technology display, USB input jacks, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay integration for compatible smartphones, integrated Bluetooth hands-free phone system w/phonebook transfer, SiriusXM satellite radio w/90-day trial (not available in AK and HI), HD Radio technology, USB charge port in center console, Blue Link connected car services and Blue Link connected care and remote package (for 3-years, enrollment required)
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Voice Activation
- 6 Speakers
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Turn-By-Turn Navigation Directions
- Heated Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way adjustable front seats w/height adjustment
- 4-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Traction Battery Level, Power/Regen, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Piano Black Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Premium Cloth Seating Surfaces
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Blue Link Tracker System
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 1 Seatback Storage Pocket
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA) Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA) Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera