Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- A massive trunk
- 48 all-electric miles when there is a full charge on the battery
- Cozy seats
- A user-friendly interior
- A stellar ride quality
- Smartphone app integration and voice control are easy to use and work well
Since its inception in 2017, the Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid has been a tour de force within the world of hybrids. As far as new cars go, the Honda Clarity Plug-In has to be one of the most exciting vehicles that has come along in recent years.
The best thing about Hondas is that once you've owned one, driving anything else just doesn't feel right. Of course, you might be looking to own something that is fuel-efficient because gas prices are always in flux, and when they creep up, drivers feel the burn. The Honda Clarity line-up gives you options for both all-electric and plug-in vehicles.
There is also a Fuel Cell version of the Clarity that combines oxygen and hydrogen into energy. This is what powers the Fuel Cell. It is innovative, for certain, and downright cool.
Critics hail the Honda Clarity Plug-In as one of the best hybrid cars on the market this year. While its price is higher than the Accord hybrid, this auto is jam-packed full of features that make it worth the cost. The steering on this hybrid has a muted reaction to quick wheel turns, but the view from the cockpit, the 240V's quick charging, and the excellent braking make this car fun to drive.
The Clarity Plug-In Hybrid is a popular choice for a few really good reasons. The ride quality is rather comfortable for hybrids, and the design of the cabin serves to only boost that level of comfort. As soon as the Clarity Plug-In has a fully charged battery, it gets 47 miles of all-electric range, and for an auto of the hybrid nature, this is pretty impressive.
What's New on the Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid?
The Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid has only been in its current generation since 2018, so Honda has not seen fit to change anything for the 2019 model year. If any changes are going to happen to the upcoming Clarity line-up, they will probably be in the form of its technology.
Should You Get a Hybrid or an EV?
Both types have appeal, and Honda gives you three great choices with the Clarity.
The Plug-In Hybrid tends to have the widest appeal. It gives you plenty of power with the engine and battery combined, and with its 48-mile range, most people can get where they need to go on pure electric charge. It's also more affordable upfront.
EPA Estimates for the Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid
The main selling point of the Honda Clarity models is their EPA ratings. The 2019 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid rates at 110 MPGe combined on the base and Touring trim levels.
These trims get 42 mpg (gas-only) combined (44 mpg on the highway and 40 mpg in the city). Altogether, their gas-electric driving range rating is 340 miles with 47 electric-only miles.
Charging times vary. The battery has a full charging time of 2.5 hours for the 240V and 12 hours for the 120V. As far as the electric motor goes, it gets 181 hp and 232 lb-ft of torque. Combined, the motor and engine produce 212 hp.
Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid's Exterior Elements
Although its powertrain will likely impress you, this plug-in hybrid has a chic exterior design. The front end is quite aerodynamic with its sleek lines. Slenderized LED headlights are the highlight of the front fascia.
The view out of the expansive windshield is superb. Altogether, these features provide excellent road visibility for the driver, day or night.
The base Plug-In Hybrid and line-topping Touring trim have basically all the same exterior features, so you will have a hard time telling them apart. It might also be hard to tell the 2018 Honda Clarity from the 2019 Honda Clarity vehicles. Honda seems to abide by the unspoken rule that if it isn't broken, don't fix it.
Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid Interior
The Clarity Plug-In comes with heated front seats and a tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel that, on the Touring, comes wrapped in leather. While these aren't sport models, they do have a sport feel. The Touring gets perforated leather seats, and the driver and passenger sides both come with seatback and smartphone pockets for convenient storage.
Infotainment Features Available on the Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid
Infotainment features abound on the Clarity Plug-In. An eight-speaker sound system comes standard, as do the HondaLink vehicle information system, smartphone app integration, and Pandora compatibility. The Touring adds a satellite-linked navigation system with voice recognition. Bluetooth connectivity comes standard and allows for hands-free access to features while you drive.
What Safety Features Does the Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid Have?
Honda places an emphasis on driver safety with this model as well as their other models. The Clarity Plug-In Hybrid has an abundance of features designed to keep the driver safe as well as the passengers. Honda can keep you safe on the road with:
- Traction control
- Braking assist
- Forward collision warning
- Collision mitigation braking system
- Road departure mitigation system
- Honda LaneWatch
- Adaptive cruise control
Buying a New Vs. a Used Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid
During your search for hybrids, you will find that the 2018 Honda Clarity and the 2019 Clarity Plug-In Hybrid models are strikingly similar. The price difference is what will sell more people on the 2018 Honda Clarity as they are available for under $30,000. You're essentially getting the same thing, just for the best price.
Speaking of prices, the 2019 version has a starting MSRP of $33,400. If you upgrade to the Touring package and add on some optional features, this Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid could cost you up to $36,620--a reasonable price considering how much you will save on gas.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid
- Many standard safety features
- Excellent steering for vehicles in its segment
- An exterior sport vibe
- High-quality interior design
- Great charge time for the 240V car
- The 2019 Honda Clarity Plug-In is more expensive than the Accord hybrid
- Lack of feedback through the wheel
- Motor does not produce a ton of power
- A clunky infotainment system
The past decade has seen a massive surge in the popularity of hybrid cars. Honda has jumped onto that bandwagon. The company has made hybrid variants for models like the already fuel-efficient Accord, but the Clarity takes it a step further.
The Clarity began as the 2006 Honda FCX Concept car, a hydrogen-using fuel cell electric vehicle (EV). It was the first of its kind to be made available for consumers, and it made headlines with its five-minute refueling time and zero emissions.
Honda began making it in June of 2008, and American customers were able to start leasing the FCX Clarity just one month later. Since there were few hydrogen filling stations in the U.S. at the time, not too many models sold initially. That's why, in 2014, Honda announced it was phasing the FCX Clarity out.
By 2016, however, things changed. The 2017 Honda Clarity Fuel Cell began circulating in California, a state with strict emissions standards. At the time, it had the highest EPA driving range for a zero-emissions vehicle, getting 366 miles of electric-only range.
That year, Honda also announced it would be adding the Clarity Plug-In Hybrid and the Clarity Electric. The Clarity EV came with an 89-mile range whereas the Plug-In had an EPA rating of 47 miles of electric range. Combined with the gas engine, the Plug-In got 340 miles.
The Clarity has gained momentum since 2016, when it sold just eight models in December. By the end of 2018, over 20,000 models had sold.
As of late 2018, the Plug-In was the top-selling PHEV in the United States. The 2019 Honda Clarity is still going strong with its sales goals as of May 2019.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid
- Body Style
- 1.5T I-4 16-Valve DOHC i-VTEC
- 212 hp
- Single Speed Fixed
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 1.5T I-4 16-Valve DOHC i-VTEC
- Transmission: Single Speed Fixed
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 3.42 Axle Ratio
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 7 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Regenerative 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Lithium Ion Traction Battery w/6.6 kW Onboard Charger, 12 Hrs Charge Time @ 110/120V and 2.5 Hrs Charge Time @ 220/240V
- Wheels: 18" Hybrid Aerodynamic Alloy
- Tires: 235/45R18 94V
- Wheels w/Silver Accents w/Half Wheel Covers
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Accents
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: 180-Watt AM/FM/HD/SiriusXM Audio System -inc: 8 speakers, 8" display audio w/high-resolution WVGA (800x480) electrostatic touch-screen and customizable feature settings, HondaLink, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration, Bluetooth HandsFreeLink, Bluetooth streaming audio, Pandora compatibility, SMS text message function, Radio Data System (RDS) and USB audio and smartphone interface SiriusXM services require a subscription after any trial period.
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack and Steering Wheel Controls
- Performance Speakers
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Heated Front Bucket Seats
- 6-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment and Fore/Aft Movement
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Traction Battery Level, Power/Regen, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access, Power Fuel and Keyfob Charge Port Door
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Simulated Suede Instrument Panel Insert, Simulated Wood/Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Simulated Wood/Metal-Look Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Cloth Seat Trim
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- VSA Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) + FCW
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) Lane Departure Warning
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera
- Honda LaneWatch Right Side Camera