Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Fantastic warranty for 10 years/ 100,000 miles
- Genesis Experience offers included maintenance and service valet
- Heads up display comes as standard.
Genesis G90: Everything You Need To Know
What is the Genesis G90?
The Genesis G90 is a full-size luxury sedan made by the Hyundai-owned company, Genesis. It seats five passengers and was recently named a Top Safety Pick + by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
The Genesis G90 is packed with luxury, is well-built, and it comes with a wealth of technology. It gets an incredible 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, and it all starts at an affordable price—around $63,000.
While Genesis is still a new and relatively unknown luxury brand in the U.S. market, Genesis has made significant inroads. Their smaller Genesis G70 won both Motor Trend’s coveted Car of the Year and the North American Car of the Year in 2019.
The Genesis G90 is no slouch. It was recently awarded a top rating by the IIHS. It was also named as the highest-quality large premium car last year by J.D. Power.
There are two engine configurations for the 2019 Genesis G90. They include:
- A 3.3-liter twin-turbocharged V6 engine that makes 365 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque.
- A naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8 engine that makes 420-horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque.
In both cases, the engines are mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission and come as rear-wheel drive beasts.
When you step up to the larger V8 engine, you get additional amenities. You can also opt for all-wheel drive for either engine variant.
The 2019 Genesis G90 gets an EPA estimated 20 miles per gallon combined and 17/24 miles per gallon city and highway. The 2020 Genesis G90 will get an EPA estimated 20 miles per gallon combined and a slightly improved 17/25 miles per gallon city and highway.
What’s New in the Genesis G90?
There are no new updates for the Genesis G90 for 2019.
In 2018 Genesis upgraded the entertainment system, technology and standardized safety systems including:
- Automatic emergency braking
- Driver attention alert
- Blindspot detection and warning
- Lane-keeping assist
- Lane departure warning
- High Beam assistance
- Front and Rear parking sensors
- Multiview cameras
For 2020, Genesis has updated the G90 design-wise both inside and out. There is no word on when the 2020 model year might appear in showrooms in the U.S. There is some speculation that they could arrive later this summer.
What Does the Genesis G90 Compete With?
The Genesis G90 competes with the following vehicles:
The Genesis G90 is great for those looking for a luxury sedan with all the current technology at a price that won’t break the bank. If you’re looking to communicate that you are successful, but not big on flashing cash, the Genesis G90 is a great bet.
Exterior Design of the Genesis G90
The Genesis G90 is a bit of a sleeper on the outside. It looks like a big-baller sedan, but like many of the vehicles in the Genesis lineup, it can tend to be a bit forgettable.
The giant flat-fronted grille really makes a memorable impression. While the exterior design is somewhat bland, it does sort of speak to the kinds of buyers that Genesis is targeting: Well-heeled people who want a large sedan that offers luxury without a crazy price tag. There's a certain sense of authority that the exterior design communicates, and while it doesn't have any stand-out design cues, the Genesis G90 is a handsome vehicle.
At the base level, the Genesis gets a power sunroof and interior shades for rear-seat passengers. It also gets power-folding heated side mirrors as well.
Interior Style in the Genesis G90
Don't let the price tag fool you. The Genesis G90 may be far more affordable than many of its German rivals, but it has plenty of excellent materials and craftsmanship inside.
You get Nappa leather on the inside as standard, a three-zone climate control, and 22-way power driver’s seat with a 16-way power passenger seat to match. Those seats are also heated and cooled. Plus, that wood grain in the dash—it’s actually real wood.
One common complaint amongst reviewers is the fact that the infotainment system is a bit too Hyundai-like and doesn’t feel premium enough for the rest of the vehicle.
On the road, the interior of the G90 is quiet and refined—as you would expect a sedan of this caliber to be. Inside you can adjust the ambient lighting to your liking. There are seven different colors to choose from.
The Genesis G90 gets a generous trunk at 15.7 cubic feet.
Be warned, Genesis has already shown sneak peeks of the 2020 Genesis G90 which gets an upgraded interior and exterior—so the 2019 could become a great deal –but it could also look a bit outdated when the 2020 hits showroom floors.
What Technology Comes in the Genesis G90?
The Genesis G90 comes packed with tech, though it doesn’t include Apple CarPlay or Android Auto nor a Wifi hotspot.
The base G90 with the V6 engine gets:
- Qi wireless charging
- Adaptive cruise control with stop and go and active damping to help soften the ride
- Hands-free trunk operation
- 12.3-inch standard touch screen infotainment and navigation plus a 10.3-inch rear-seat entertainment screen available in the 5.0-liter engine
- 2 USB ports
- Lexicon sound system with a 17-speaker array
- Head-up display
What Safety Features are in the Genesis G90?
The Genesis G90 comes with a suite of standard safety equipment including:
- Forward collision mitigation
- Automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection
- Pedestrian detection
- Blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert
- Driver-fatigue alerts
- Lane-keeping assist
- Front and rear parking sensors
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety or IIHS recently gave the 2019 G90 its Top Safety Pick+ award. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) has yet to rate the 2019 Genesis G90.
What is the Genesis G90 Like to Drive?
The Genesis G90 is a great cruiser. It is comfortable and offers ample space for passengers to lounge on a long ride.
The smaller engine is more efficient and sufficiently powerful to make a long highway cruise comfortable, and it offers up slightly better gas mileage than the big V8. It's forgiving on rough roads but not so rolly that you make your passengers carsick.
The G90 comes equipped with a variety of driving modes, including Sport. Setting the G90 to Sport stiffens up the suspension just a touch without jostling passengers too much. The G90 is admittedly a large vehicle so it can get somewhat mushy in the corners. The steering is light and exactly the way that you would expect a large sedan to be.
Should I Buy a New Genesis G90?
If you are looking for a luxurious baller sedan that won't break the bank, then the Genesis G90 is a good choice.
Not only has Genesis made a really good product, but they also offer a stellar warranty and service contract. That service contract is something that the company calls the "Genesis Experience." This comes with every Genesis and offers owners a service valet and free scheduled maintenance on all cars up to 36,000 miles. You make an appointment with Genesis, and someone will come to your home or work, pick up your car, deliver a replacement Genesis product, and return your car when service is finished.
Genesis also offers connected services that include remote functions to set destinations in your nav system and monitor your car to know how its performing and where it is.
Should I Buy a Used Genesis G90?
The Genesis G90 was previously the Hyundai Equus and became the G90 in 2017. There will likely be a few used G90s on the market.
According to CarComplaints.com, the 2012 and 2015 Genesis G90 (known in those years as the Equus) has given owners the most problems. These mostly consist if electrical issues. Consumer Reports doesn't have any complaints about the Genesis G90.
How Much Does a Genesis G90 Cost?
The Genesis G90 starts at $69,350 plus delivery. That's the cost of the base G90. Step up to the V8 engine, and you're looking at around $70,000. While that is still a lot of cash to outlay, it's considerably less than what you might pay for one of the German competitors.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Genesis G90
- Prices start below $70,000 for a luxury car
- One of the best warranties out there: Ten years or 100,000 miles of coverage
- Lots of standard safety and technology features
- Genesis is still a new brand and doesn’t have a lot of cache yet
- No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto
- Somewhat boring exterior design that doesn’t really stand out on the road
- No folding rear seat for more trunk space (there is a passthrough though)
History of the Genesis G90: A Luxury Sedan
The Genesis G90 was previously as the Hyundai Equus. In 2017 Genesis began selling the G90 sedan under the luxury brand, Genesis, which is owned by the Korean brand, Hyundai.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Genesis G90
- Body Style
- 3.3L Twin Turbo GDI DOHC 24-Valve V6
- 365 hp
- 8-Speed Automatic w/SHIFTRONIC
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Assist
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Change Assist
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.3L Twin Turbo GDI DOHC 24-Valve V6
- Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic w/SHIFTRONIC -inc: paddle shifters, shift-by-wire and intelligent drive mode w/smart shift,
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 3.54 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 180 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- 4-Corner Auto-Leveling Suspension
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic Height Adjustable Automatic w/Driver Control Ride Control Adaptive Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 21.9 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Multi-Link Front Suspension w/Air Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Air Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 19" Chrome Alloy
- Tires: P245/45R19 Front & P275/40R19 Rear
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st Row Sunroof w/Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Chrome Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Chrome Bumper Insert
- Chrome Bodyside Insert
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power w/Tilt Down Heated Auto Dimming Side Mirrors w/Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster and Power Blind
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Wiper Park
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Chrome Grille
- Power Open And Close Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Directionally Adaptive Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Door Auto-Latch
- Laminated Glass
- Radio: AM/FM/HD/SiriusXM/CD/DVD Audio System -inc: Lexicon Quantum Logic Surround (QLS) sound system w/17 speakers, Clari-Fi music restoration technology, 12.3" HD navigation system, DIS w/multimedia controller, NavTraffic, SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link, MP3 auxilliary input jack, 1 front data/charge and 1 rear charge only USB ports and Bluetooth hands-free phone system w/audio streaming
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation and Radio Data System
- Lexicon Speakers
- 900w Regular Amplifier
- Automatic Equalizer
- Window Grid Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Turn-By-Turn Navigation Directions
- Heated & Ventilated Front Bucket Seats w/Memory -inc: 22-way power driver seat w/power lumbar, shoulder and bolster adjustment and 16-way power front passenger w/power lumbar adjustment
- 14-Way Driver Seat
- 8-Way Passenger Seat
- Split-Bench Front Facing Heated Power Reclining Rear Seat
- Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and w/Power Sun Blinds
- Genesis Connected Services Selective Service Internet Access
- Heated Leather Steering Wheel w/Auto Tilt-Away
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Smart Trunk Proximity Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Headliner/Pillar Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Aluminum/Genuine Wood Instrument Panel Insert, Genuine Wood Door Panel Insert, Aluminum Console Insert, Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents and Leather Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Simulated Suede Headliner
- Leather Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Aluminum Gear Shift Knob
- Nappa Leather Seating Surfaces
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 5 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim, Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim and Carpet Mat
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Net
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Door Mirrors, Steering Wheel and Head Restraints
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Genesis Connected Services Tracker System
- Smart Device Integration
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Head-Up Display
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Leatherette Back Material
- Power Anti-Whiplash w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 5 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Genesis Connected Services Emergency Sos
- Front And Rear Parking Sensors
- Lane Change Assist Blind Spot Sensor
- Forward Collision Mitigation and Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA) Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA) Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag and Rear Side-Impact Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- First Aid Kit
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Around View Monitor Back-Up Camera
- Front Camera
- Left Side Camera
- Right Side Camera