Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Fantastic warranty for 10 years/ 100,000 miles
- Comes with tons of advanced safety features and technology as standard
- Priced well below other mid-size luxury sedans
- Comes with the “Genesis Experience,” which includes complimentary scheduled maintenance up to 36,000 miles and a service valet
Genesis G80: Everything You Need To Know
What is the Genesis G80?
The Genesis G80 is a mid-size luxury sedan made by the luxury Hyundai company, Genesis. It seats five passengers and comes in three different trims.
The Genesis G80 is packed with luxury and well-sorted technology. It gets an amazing 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, and it all starts around $43,000.
While Genesis is still a new and relatively unknown luxury marque in the U.S. market, the Genesis brand has made significant inroads, with the smaller Genesis G70 winning both Motor Trend’s coveted Car of the Year and the North American Car of the Year in 2019.
The Genesis G80 is no less decorated. It was recently named the highest ranked “near-luxury car” in Strategic Vision Total Quality Awards and the Highest Premium Nameplate for Initial Quality by J.D. Power.
What’s New in the Genesis G80?
For 2019 Genesis has added a new package to the line-up. In addition to the three different versions below, there’s a new 3.8 Sport package that adds some cosmetic changes, 19-inch alloy wheels and an upgraded 8-inch infotainment touch screen.
There are three different engine variants available for the Genesis G80 for 2019.
- G80 3.3T Sport: This version gets a 3.3-liter twin-turbocharged V6 that makes 365 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque
- G80 3.8: With a 3.8-liter V6 engine that makes 311 horsepower and 293 pound-feet of torque
- G80 5.0: This version gets a 5.0-liter V8 that makes and 383 pound-feet of torque
In all versions, rear-wheel drive is standard while all-wheel drive is optional.
What Does the Genesis G80 Compete With?
The Genesis G80 competes with the following vehicles:
The Genesis G80 is great for those looking for a luxury sedan with all the current technology at a price that won’t break the bank.
Exterior Design of the Genesis G80
Back in 2018, the designers at Genesis updated the G80 with some new exterior design including new headlights, a lower front grille, a new front, and rear fascia, and a new 18-inch wheel design as standard.
The 2019 Genesis G80 doesn’t get any significant changes over the 2018 model year, but there is an added trim package available on the G80 3.8. The G80 3.8 Sport gets new 19-inch alloy wheels, a different steering wheel and allow-capped pedals inside the cabin.
The Genesis G80 is good looking, borrowing cues from some of the other well-designed German manufacturers out there. While the design of the G80 doesn't necessarily stand out, it is undoubtedly one of the more good-looking and very well-proportioned mid-size sedans on the road.
Interior Style in the Genesis G80
The 2019 Genesis G80 is well appointed and quiet inside. It has one of the most spacious interiors in the class, and all the touch points are soft and luxurious.
We took a G80 on a road trip to Las Vegas and found the seats comfortable and plush while not being so cushy that they make you feel stiff when you stop for gas. You can opt for either matte-finished wood or aluminum trim inside to make the interior feel even more lux.
One of our favorite features inside the 2019 G80 is the way that designers integrated blind spot monitoring alerts into the gauge cluster. In cars equipped with the optional head-up display, the warning indicators show up in that display. It's a really lovely if subtle feature that makes the Genesis G80 stand out.
The steering wheel of the G80 is full of buttons that control various features of the car—everything from answering calls and changing the radio station or skipping a song, to managing the cruise control system. Everything within the G80 is within easy reach, and the added buttons make it easier to get right to the feature you want.
One other neat addition to the G80 interior is a carbon dioxide monitor that monitors the CO2 levels in the cabin. Carbon dioxide can cause rapid drowsiness and confusion. If CO2 levels become elevated, the system will flood the cabin with fresh air.
The 3.3T version comes with an optional heated steering wheel and heated rear seats. On higher trims, you can get a panoramic sunroof, a power rear window shade, and heated and ventilated front seats.
What Technology Comes in the Genesis G80?
The Genesis G80 comes packed with tech, including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
The base G80 with the 3.8-liter V6 engine gets:
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Adaptive cruise control with stop and go
- Hands-free trunk operation
- 8-inch touch screen infotainment and navigation
- Satellite radio (subscription required)
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
The 3.3T version gets more power and a sport suspension as well as the head-up system, a multi-view camera, parking sensors both front and rear, a 17-speaker Lexicon audio system and a 9.2-inch infotainment screen. Step up to the V8 version, and you get all this plus wood trim (minus the sport suspension). If you want the parking sensors on the 5.0 version, you’ll need to add them.
In our time with the G80, we took advantage of the adaptive cruise control—in both heavy and light traffic. In fast-moving traffic that suddenly slowed down, the G80 did well enough to make us comfortable with it. The system looked far enough ahead to ensure that the speed modulation was smooth and comfortable. Where it struggled, however, was in stop and go traffic. It was somewhat herky-jerky as it went from a standstill to start, and eventually, we just turned it off and managed the traffic ourselves.
What Safety Features are in the Genesis G80?
The Genesis G80 comes with a suite of standard safety equipment including:
- Forward collision mitigation
- Automatic emergency braking
- Pedestrian detection
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Driver-fatigue alerts
Available advanced driving aids include:
- Smart cruise control
- Blind spot warning
- Rear cross traffic collision warning
As mentioned above, the integration of the blind spot monitoring into the center stack and head-up display is a really nice feature in the G80, and it's one that stands out in the market.
In terms of safety, IIHS recently gave the 2019 G80 its Top Safety Pick+ award. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) has yet to rate the 2019 Genesis G80, but it did give the 2018 G80 a five-star overall safety rating.
What is the Genesis G80 Like to Drive?
The Genesis G80 is a great cruiser. It is comfortable enough to take on long drives or slog through horrendous traffic.
On the road, the G80 is quiet and compliant. The ride is comfortable on concrete roads and while the sedan does feel big and a bit rolly on big sweeping turns it’s impressively agile when the demands require. While driving to Las Vegas, we had a run in with a pick-up truck driver who was not paying attention to a police cruiser parked on the shoulder. A last minute move pushed him into our lane at 75 miles per hour, and a quick steering correction and tap of the brakes and the G80 handled the misguided driver with comfort and ease.
The G80 comes equipped with a variety of driving modes, including Sport. Setting the G80 to Sport makes the engine noise a bit more audible in the cabin, tightens the shifts in of the eight-speed automatic and increases throttle response. When trying to get out of the way of horrendous drivers, Sport mode was our go-to.
Should I Buy a New Genesis G80?
If you are looking for a luxurious cruiser that won't break the bank and comes packed with great features and comfort, the Genesis G80 is the right bet for you.
Not only has Genesis made a really good product, they also offer a stellar warranty and service contract.
One of the best features that comes with the Genesis G80 is something that the company calls "Genesis Experience." This comes with every Genesis and offers owners a service valet and free scheduled maintenance on all cars up to 36,000 miles. You make an appointment with Genesis, and someone will come to your home or work, pick up your car, deliver a replacement Genesis product, and return your car when service is finished.
Genesis also offers connected services that include remote functions to set destinations in your nav system and monitor your car to know how its performing and where it is.
Should I Buy a Used Genesis G80?
The Genesis G80 is still a relatively new vehicle in the U.S. market so you likely won't find many used cars on the market.
Because Genesis is still such a relatively new brand in the market, the company doesn't yet have a well-established reputation in the automotive world, so it remains to be seen how the vehicles will hold up. The G80 was, however, just named Highest Premium Nameplate for Initial Quality by J.D. Power.
How Much Does a Genesis G80 Cost?
The Genesis G80 starts at $42,050 plus $950 delivery. That's the cost of the base, rear-wheel drive G80 3.8. Step up to the 3.3T, and you're looking at a cost of $55,250 plus delivery.
All-wheel drive versions add around $2,000 to $3,000 to prices.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Genesis G80
- Prices start below $45,000 for a luxury car
- One of the best warranties out there: Ten years or 100,000 miles of coverage
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto come as standard
- Lots of standard safety and technology features
- Genesis is still a new brand and doesn’t have a lot of cache yet
- Adaptive cruise control doesn’t handle stop and go traffic very smoothly
- Somewhat boring exterior design that doesn’t really stand out on the road
History of the Genesis G80: A New Luxury Marque
The Genesis G80 was previously known just as the Genesis sedan in the U.S. In 2017 Genesis was spun off from its parent company, Hyundai to help the company get a foothold in the U.S. as a luxury brand. The G80 was Genesis’ premier model and debuted as a 2017 model. The Genesis family has since expanded to include the Genesis G70 and G90 with a new SUV planned for the future.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Genesis G80
- Body Style
- 3.8L GDI DOHC V6 w/Dual CVVT
- 311 hp
- Electronic 8-Speed Auto w/SHIFTRONIC
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.8L GDI DOHC V6 w/Dual CVVT -inc: 24-valve
- Transmission: Electronic 8-Speed Auto w/SHIFTRONIC -inc: paddle shifters
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 3.91 Axle Ratio
- 105-Amp/Hr Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 180 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 20.3 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Multi-Link Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" x 8.0J Alloy
- Tires: P245/45R18 All-Season
- Wheels w/Machined w/Painted Accents Accents
- Aluminum Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Chrome Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Chrome Bodyside Insert
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power w/Tilt Down Heated Auto Dimming Side Mirrors w/Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Chrome Grille
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam High Intensity Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Laminated Glass
- Radio: AM/FM/HD/SiriusXM/MP3 Audio System -inc: 7 speakers w/subwoofer, 6-channel internal amplifier, 8" touchscreen, navigation system w/voice recognition, HD Radio Traffic, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth hands-free phone system w/audio streaming, steering wheel controls, 2 front USB ports, 1 front 12v power outlet and Genesis Connected Services
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Steering Wheel Controls, Radio Data System and Internal Memory
- Window Grid Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Turn-By-Turn Navigation Directions
- Heated Front Bucket Seats -inc: 12-way power driver and passenger seats, 4-way power lumbar and integrated memory system for driver seat
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 8-Way Passenger Seat
- Bench Front Facing Rear Seat
- Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Genesis Connected Services Selective Service Internet Access
- Leather Steering Wheel w/Auto Tilt-Away
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Smart Trunk Proximity Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Simulated Wood/Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Simulated Wood/Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Leather Seating Surfaces
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Net
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Door Mirrors and Steering Wheel
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Genesis Connected Services Tracker System
- Instrument Panel Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Leatherette Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Pass-Thru
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist and Rear Collision Warning
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA) Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA) Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag and Rear Side-Impact Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera