Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- All-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive options
- Athletic and fun to drive
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as standard
- Complimentary scheduled maintenance for three years or 36,0000 miles
Genesis G70: Everything You Need to Know
About the Genesis G70
The Genesis G70 is the new compact sedan from Genesis, Hyundai’s luxury brand. It holds five passengers and has won several awards including the North American Car of the Year Award at the Detroit Auto Show. It was also named as Motor Trend’s Car of the Year for 2019.
The G70 sits below the G80 and G90 in the Genesis lineup and it comes in all-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive variants and a variety of engines. It can also be had with a manual transmission.
Genesis is the luxury arm of Hyundai, and the company was recently spun off as a separate division. Hyundai is a Korean company known for creating reliable, feature-packed, high-quality vehicles at affordable prices.
The 2019 Genesis G70 has been surprisingly hard to find in dealerships. This is a result of the recent spin-off of Genesis as a standalone luxury brand. If you want to find out more about where to find a Genesis and what it’s like to drive in the snow and ice in Colorado, read our story on the blog, here.
What’s New in the 2019 Genesis G70?
Everything about the 2019 Genesis G70 is brand new. This is the first model year of this small sedan.
The Genesis G70 comes in quite a few flavors. You can either choose a rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive version. The engine variants include:
- A 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-4 that makes 252 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque.
- A 3.3-liter twin-turbocharged V6 engine that makes 365 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque.
You can only get a manual transmission in a rear-wheel drive Genesis G70 equipped with the 2.0-liter engine. This is the only version of the G70 that also get a mechanical parking brake. Any other variants come with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
The base model G70 comes with the turbocharged 2.0-liter engine, rear-wheel drive, and an eight-speed transmission. The EPA estimates that the 2019 Genesis G70 gets 22 miles per gallon in the city and 30 miles per gallon on the highway in this configuration.
The manual, rear-wheel drive version gets slightly less fuel economy with an estimated 18 miles per gallon city and 28 miles per gallon on the highway.
What Does the Genesis G70 Compete With?
The Genesis G70 competes with the following small luxury sedans:
The Genesis G70 is great for someone who wants to pay less for a sports car that drives as well as one of the well-heeled and better-known Germans.
Exterior Design of the Genesis G70
The 2019 Genesis G70 is the first generation of the G70 and has an athletic, low-to-the-ground look to it. It is based on a shortened version of the Kia Stinger, the popular car by Genesis’ sister brand Kia. Kia is also part of Hyundai.
Like some others in this category, the sloped rear of the Genesis G70 gives it a more coupe-like appearance. Low intakes at the front and wide haunches at the back give the Genesis G70 a powerful stance that makes it stand out in a crowd.
Along the side of the Genesis G70 are two fender vents at the front wheels. At the back, the V6 version of the G70 gets a pair of wide-set tailpipes, while the turbocharged inline-four version gets tailpipes that sit right next to each other.
Interior Style in the Genesis G70
Genesis has learned from its competitors and the G70 shows just how good the Korean company is at making high-quality interiors for an affordable price.
There are soft-touch materials and faux leather as standard in the base level G70, but as you step up through trims, real leather becomes available. Round vents and the 8-inch tablet-style infotainment system looks like it has been taken right out of something like Mercedes or Audi.
While the interior of the Genesis G70 seats five passengers, adults will be hard pressed to be comfortable in the rear middle seat. Rear legroom can be tight if you have taller drivers and passengers in the front seat. It is much more comfortable as a two-passenger vehicle.
The base trim G70 comes with the following amenities:
- 12-way power driver’s seat
- 8-way passenger seat
- Dual climate control
- Complimentary scheduled maintenance
What Technology Comes in the Genesis G70?
The Genesis G70 comes nearly fully loaded, at its base, with the following tech features:
- 8-inch digital display dash
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Adaptive cruise control with stop and go
Add on various packages to get things like navigation, parking sensors, heated seats, and a sunroof.
It’s important to note that the G70 engine that you choose (the 2.0-liter or the 3.3-liter) will change the packages available for the car, so do your homework before ordering.
What Safety Features are in the Genesis G70?
The Genesis G70 comes complete with a variety of safety features at its base level including:
- Blindspot monitoring
- Forward collision avoidance
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Lane-keeping assist
- Pedestrian detection system
- Automatic emergency braking
The 2019 Genesis G70 is an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Safety Pick.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has not yet rated the 2019 Genesis G70.
What is the Genesis G70 Like to Drive?
The Genesis G70 is a German car dressed in Korean clothing, and it's no surprise either, since Hyundai, the parent company of Genesis, has hired several top-ranking designers and engineers from the well-known German brands.
You can choose various drive modes in the G70 including Comfort, Eco, Sport, or Custom, and each one has its own unique settings for handling and suspension. There is also a Smart setting which adapts to your driving style.
Reviewers like the 6-speed manual gearbox and find the clutch to be linear and light. There are a few complaints about a bit of impreciseness in the gears, but most dismiss that outright as the G70 is so good in so many other ways.
The automatic transmission is smooth and seamless, and the steering feel is communicative enough to know when you start to push the car beyond it's (and your) limits.
Overall, the G70 is a phenomenal sport sedan on the road. In the 3.3-liter variant, it can hustle to 60 in 4.5 seconds so you won't sweat making that merge on a fast-moving freeway. The G70 proves that you can get an agile, enjoyable, responsive, luxury sedan for under $55,000.
Should I Buy a 2019 Genesis G70?
Yes, we think that the 2019 Genesis G70is a definite buy. It's a fantastic, award-winning sedan that comes in under $55,000, even when fully loaded. It also is one of the few vehicles on the market to have free maintenance for the first three years and 36,000 miles.
Should I buy a Used Genesis G70?
Since the 2019 Genesis G70 is the first of its kind, there are no used Genesis G70s on the market.
How Much Does the Genesis G70Cost?
The 2019 Genesis G70 starts at $35,895 including destination. Step into the all-wheel-drive G70 for $37,895.
If you are keen to row your own, your G70 will approach $39,000, and if you want that 3.3-liter V6, you're going to be looking at a price tag just shy of $45,000.
Overall, the 2019 Genesis G70 is well worth the cash if you’re looking for a way to drive like a German but not break the bank.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Genesis G70
- Optional all-wheel drive
- Maintenance included for three years/36,000 miles
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard
- Genesis is still relatively new to the American public and doesn’t have as much cache as some of the German brands
- Limited space in the back seat
- Somewhat mushy manual transmission
- Unknown resale value
The History of the Genesis G70: The Brand-New Kid on the Block
The Genesis G70 first appeared at the New York Auto Show in 2016. It was designed by German designer, Peter Schreyer who formerly helped design the striking Audi TT. The 2019 G70 is the first model year of the small four-door sedan by Genesis.
Genesis is a subsidiary of Hyundai and was spun out as its own standalone luxury brand in 2015. Genesis vehicles are currently sold in Hyundai dealerships but will eventually have their own showrooms across the U.S.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Genesis G70
- Body Style
- 2.0L T-GDI I4
- 252 hp
- 8-Speed Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L T-GDI I4 -inc: idle stop-and-go
- Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic -inc: paddle shifters, rev-match and shift-by-wire
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 3.73 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 80-Amp/Hr 740CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 150 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 15.8 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" x 8.0J Alloy
- Tires: P225/45R18 All-Season
- Aluminum Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Bumper Insert
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power w/Tilt Down Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- LED Brakelights
- Laminated Glass
- Radio: AM/FM/HD Radio/SiriusXM Audio System -inc: 8-inch touchscreen display, 6-speakers including subwoofer, 6-channel internal amplifier, auto volume control, Bluetooth hands-free phone system, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, 2 front USB ports, auxiliary input jack and Genesis Connected Services telematics,
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Voice Activation
- Window Grid Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Multi-Adjustable Front Bucket Seats -inc: 12-way power driver seat w/4-way power lumbar and 8-way power front passenger seat
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 8-Way Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Leatherette Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Genesis Connected Services Selective Service Internet Access
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Front Cigar Lighter(s)
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Smart Trunk Proximity Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Aluminum Instrument Panel Insert, Aluminum Door Panel Insert, Aluminum Console Insert, Metal-Look Interior Accents and Leatherette Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Chrome Gear Shift Knob
- Leatherette Seat Trim -inc: quilting
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim, Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim and Carpet Mat
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Net
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Tracker System
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Seats w/Leatherette Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Genesis Connected Services Emergency Sos
- Blind Spot Detection Blind Spot Sensor
- Forward Collision Mitigation and Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Lane Keep Assist Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keep Assist Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Restricted Driving Mode
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- First Aid Kit
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera