Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Spacious and flexible seating for five to seven people
- Over 100 cubic feet of cargo space
- Modern safety features like adaptive cruise control
- Short and long wheelbase models available
- Good fuel economy for its class
The Transit Connect Wagon is Ford's answer to car buyers looking for a modern passenger van. Originally based on European compact vans, Ford continues to update the Transit Connect to keep up with competition.
Ford offers the Connect Wagon in two wheelbase sizes with customizable seating for five to seven people. You can adjust the mix of cargo and passenger spaces with configurable seats. The Transit Connect also comes with a fuel-saving engine option that provides the power needed for urban traffic.
What's New for the Transit Connect Wagon?
This version of the Connect has added quite a few details that makes it stand out from previous models. These changes are mostly relates to the options available and safety features. The several new features Ford added to the 2019 Transit Connect Wagon include:
- Two new engine options
- The SYNC 3 is now standard on the XLT trim
- The rearview camera, wind stabilization, and automatic braking are now standard features
Performance and Fuel Efficiency
The 2019 edition of the Transit Connect Wagon introduces a new 1.5L diesel engine that gets up to 29 mpg for freeway transit. While not as fast as gas engines on the highway, this one has enough torque to handle city driving. The more powerful 2.0L and 2.5L gas motors are still available for heavier cargo and passenger loads.
Currently, the transmission is an eight-speed automatic for all three engine options. The shorter wheelbase version has a good turning radius for a passenger van. Overall, though, it drives like a cargo van and not a sports utility vehicle.
Ford's commitment to fuel-efficient engine designs increases the number of miles per gallon from traditional powertrains. Engine options range from 20–24 mpg on city streets and 26–29 mpg on the freeway.
The Transit Connect Wagon comes in two cabin sizes depending on the wheelbase you choose. The shorter model can seat five people whereas the longer model adds space for two more seats. The larger option also provides up to 146 cu. ft. of cargo space and can carry a 1,600-pound payload.
Ford designed the Wagon with flexible seating options in mind, allowing you to mix and match the seats and cargo you need. The seats also fold down although they don't fold flat. The seats are economical if not the best for comfort on long road trips; however, you can upgrade them to higher quality materials on the higher price trims.
Ford outfitted the dash with modern electronics and displays that you'd expect from a sedan or a truck. The dashboard of the Transit Connect Wagon is restyled in 2019 with a SYNC 3 touchscreen up to 6.5-inches in size. The Transit Connect Wagon comes with Ford's latest infotainment center in the center dash that doubles as a rear camera display.
Ford designed the Transit Connect Wagon with shuttle service and group outings in mind. With a maximum payload of 2,000 pounds and connectivity support for up to 10 mobile devices, the Transit Connect Wagon works well as a shuttle service vehicle.
You have the option on the Ford Transit Connect to add 180-degree swing-out rear cargo doors to make it easier to load and unload the vehicle. For more storage options, you can also purchase roof rails and a roof rack including cross bars to add cargo on top of the vehicle.
Ford equipped the 2019 Ford Transit Connect with many technologies that buyers expect from the modern auto market. It comes with Ford's standard infotainment system, which provides connectivity with Apple and Android mobile devices. It includes a host of other standard and optional tech features:
- Adaptive cruise control
- Ford's SYNC 3 infotainment system
- Enhanced Active Park Assist
- Apple and Android smartphone support
- Remote access with the FordPass app
- Ford's MyKey technology
Many of these technologies are common to most of Ford's vehicle offerings. The enhanced parking assist is a welcome addition for larger vehicles like the Transit Connect Wagon. Adaptive cruise control also makes driving in stop-and-go traffic less stressful on major thoroughfares.
Ford provides a set of modern safety features that make the Wagon edition of the Transit Connect a good choice for a shuttle service. There are a suite of smart safety features found on many of Ford's vehicles, and you can add them as optional packages. The highlights for the Wagon include:
- Front and side airbags for driver and front passenger
- Side curtain airbags for all seating rows
- Rearview camera
- Emergency brake assist
- Safety canopy system
- Blind spot information system
- Forward and reverse sensors
The emergency brake assist on the 2019 Ford Transit makes collisions less likely by braking automatically when a collision is imminent. Ford's blind spot information system is a welcome addition for larger vehicles like the Transit Connect. Backing up is also safer with Ford's rearview camera.
Ford provides other optional safety features for the Transit Connect that include side wind stabilization and roll stability control. These features help drivers stay in control of larger vehicles like the Transit Connect during hazardous weather.
The 2019 Ford passenger van comes in three trim selections: XL, XLT, and Titanium. Each of these trims comes in two wheelbase lengths with a rear lift gate option. The 2.0L gas engine is standard for all three, but the lighter diesel is an option for the Titanium option.
The base price for these trims ranges from $26,845 to $31,595, and the optional packages are different for each. The XL offers a Driver-Assist Package that adds a lane-keeping system and better headlamps. A Taxi Package also adds four driver keys, a swing-out rear door, and power windows in the back.
The XLT and Titanium trims offer the same Driver-Assist Package. If you want Ford's advanced assist techs, the Titanium edition can add enhanced parking assistance and a premium package. This last package bundles Ford's blind spot monitor, parking sensors, lane-keeping system, and a glass sunroof.
How Does Ford MyKey Work?
MyKey is a programmable key that gives you more control over your Ford Transit. You can set speed restrictions, control seatbelt warnings, and add low fuel alerts. You can even set filters to block explicit content from playing on your radio.
This model stores these settings and activates them when it reads a transponder chip in the Ford Transit Connect Wagon's key.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Ford Transit Connect Wagon
- Plenty of space for cargo or seats in the cabin
- Modern safety features like forward collision warnings
- Fuel-efficient engine options
- Two wheelbase lengths to match buyer's needs
- Smartphone support and modern infotainment system
- Passenger seats could be more comfortable
- The new diesel engine is under powered
- Seating seven people is too cramped for luggage
- Many advanced features are not included in the base model
Ford's Transit Connect cargo van entered production in 2002 in Europe to replace the smaller Escort-based cargo vans. It won "Van of the Year 2004" from Professional Van and Light Truck Magazine. When Ford began offering the Transit Connect in the United States, it won "North American Truck of the Year" at the American International Auto Show the same year.
Ford introduced the first generation of Transit Connect models to U.S. and Canadian dealers in 2009 after updating its exterior. Ford released the second generation in 2013, which continues today in both cargo and passenger van versions. With efficient engines and modern safety technology, the Ford Transit Connect Wagon is a niche passenger van with sales of nearly 3,200 units in 2018.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Ford Transit Connect Wagon
- Body Style
- Passenger Wagon LWB
- 2.0L GDI I-4 Gas
- 162 - 169 hp
- 8-Speed SelectShift Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Wifi Hotspot
- Engine: 2.0L GDI I-4 Gas -inc: auto start/stop technology and EcoMode
- Transmission: 8-Speed SelectShift Automatic
- 3.80 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 5,302 lbs
- 50-State Emissions System
- Transmission w/SelectShift Sequential Shift Control
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 80-Amp/Hr 800CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 220 Amp Alternator
- 1250# Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 15.8 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Torsion Beam Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 16" Sparkle Silver-Painted Steel -inc: full wheel covers (non-locking lug nuts)
- Tires: 215/55R16 97H XL AS
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Full-Size Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Black Front Bumper
- Black Rear Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Black Bodyside Moldings
- Black Door Handles
- Black Manual Side Mirrors w/Convex Spotter and Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Light Tinted Glass
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Black Grille
- Sliding Rear Doors
- Split Swing-Out Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Autolamp Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Auto High-Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: AM/FM w/Bluetooth -inc: FordPass connect/telematics modem w/WiFi hotspot connects up to 10 devices ( a trial subscription of 3 months or 3 gigabytes - whichever comes first, wireless service plan required after trial subscription ends), remotely start, lock and unlock vehicle, schedule specific times to remotely start vehicle, locate park vehicle and check vehicle status ( service for 1 year from the vehicle sale date as recorded by the dealer), 4.2" LCD multi-function display (MFD) screen, 1 USB port and 4-speaker system (2 front door and 2 rear door speakers)
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Radio Data System and SYNC External Memory Control
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- Streaming Audio
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Front Seats w/Vinyl Back Material and Manual Driver Lumbar
- 2-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Lumbar Support
- Passenger Seat
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Bucket Folding Bucket Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Vinyl Rear Seat
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Seat Mounted Armrest Outboard Only
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Fixed Bucket Bucket Vinyl 3rd Row Seat Front, 2 Manual and Adjustable Head Restraints
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter and Illuminated Entry
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Vinyl Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way manual driver seat (fore/aft, up/down & lever recline) w/manual lumbar and 4-way manual passenger seat (fore/aft & lever recline) w/fold-flat back
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Storage, Full Overhead Console w/Storage, 3 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Front Map Lights
- Delay Off Interior Lighting
- Full Vinyl/Rubber Floor Covering
- Vinyl/Rubber Floor Trim
- Cargo Net
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Down
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual w/Tilt (driver Only) Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- 1 Seatback Storage Pocket
- Securilock Anti-Theft Ignition (pats) Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- AdvanceTrac w/Roll Stability Control Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Reverse Sensing System Rear Parking Sensors
- Ford Co-Pilot360 - Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Safety Canopy System Curtain 1st, 2nd And 3rd Row Airbags
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera