Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Powerful range of engines
- Available six-speed manual transmission
- Coupe or convertible body style
- Plenty of modern tech
Ford Mustang: Everything You Need to Know
About the Ford Mustang
Today’s Mustang is a technology and performance masterpiece. Power comes from a turbocharged four-cylinder or the V8 engines in the Mustang GT and GT350. Buyers can choose from a coupe or convertible body style, although both deliver impressive performance and solid comfort.
What’s New in the 2019 Ford Mustang?
The big news for the 2019 Mustang is the return of the Bullitt special edition. To honor the 50th anniversary of the iconic movie starring Steve McQueen, the Bullitt features styling similar to the Mustang in the movie.
The 2019 Mustang Bullitt uses a high-output version of the 5.0-liter V8 engine found in the Mustang GT. This special edition is offered only with a six-speed manual transmission topped by a white shift knob like the movie car.
Apart from the Bullitt, the only new details are a Bang & Olufsen premium audio system, and a rev matching feature for the manual transmission.
What Does the 2019 Ford Mustang Compete With?
The Mustang competes in a very small category of performance two-door coupes. The competitive set is really just two cars:
Both of these cars offer the same kind of V8 power at the high end, along with affordable mid-range performance options. These models and the Mustang date from the 1960s and have been competitors for decades.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Ford Mustang
Since 2005, the Mustang exterior design has reflected the original first-generation bodylines and attitude. The retro look has matched similar trends in its Chevrolet and Dodge competitors. The most notable exterior design feature is the fastback coupe body style.
One thing to note is that there is no sunroof option on the Mustang coupe. If you want sun, you have to buy the convertible.
Interior Style in the 2019 Ford Mustang
The interior of the Mustang is sport-oriented and simple. Driver gauges include a tachometer as well as a speedometer. Controls for hands-free calling and cruise control are located on the steering wheel. That leaves the dash and console free for toggle switches to control performance features. The audio system uses just a few buttons and two dials.
The interior reflects the Mustang’s heritage as a performance car. It’s comfortable for the two front seat passengers, but small in the back seat. Two adults can fit back there, but you wouldn’t want to take a long trip. It’s better in the convertible, at least with the top down. If you need to carry children, the back seat does come with LATCH hookups for car seats.
Mustang trunk space is about average for compact cars. The coupe has a bigger trunk than the convertible, but both will hold a couple sets of golf clubs or a pair of small suitcases.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Ford Mustang?
Ford has put its best technology package into the Mustang, but only at the higher trim levels. The basic Mustang coupe or convertible comes with an AM/FM radio with a small display. The system does support Ford’s Sync voice recognition system for hands-free calling. The Mustang also comes with two USB ports for music streaming.
The Premium trim upgrades that basic stereo to an 8.0-inch touchscreen. The touchscreen comes with the more advanced Sync 3 voice control. It also supports Sirius satellite radio, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. If you really want the best audio, the twelve-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system is optional. A voice-activated navigation system is also available.
One tech option worth calling out is the 12.0-inch video display that replaces the driver’s gauges on Mustang GT models. You can customize your dash with racing-oriented displays through the Track Apps system.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Ford Mustang?
Standard safety features in the Mustang are limited to stability control, a full set of airbags, and a tire pressure monitor. Most buyers will want to add the optional Safe and Smart package. This set of advanced features includes:
- Pre-collision assistance with pedestrian detection
- Lane keeping assistance
- Adaptive cruise control
- Auto high beams
- Automatic emergency braking
- Forward collision warning
- Rain-sensing wipers
The Mustang coupe earned a five-star safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The Mustang convertible was not rated.
What is the 2019 Ford Mustang Like to Drive?
The Ford Mustang is a breathtaking performance car. Even if you choose the four-cylinder model, you’re getting more power than V8 engines had just ten years ago. Ford’s six-speed transmissions are crisp and direct in their shifting. The ten-speed automatic is smooth and always in the right gear. The four-cylinder Mustang will make a 0-60 mph run in about five seconds, which is respectable for any performance car.
Four-cylinder coupe buyers will see EPA fuel economy up to 21 mpg city and 32 mpg highway. It’s only a little worse for the convertible at 20 mpg city and 28 mpg highway.
The Mustang GT is even more impressive. The 5.0-liter V8 engine will send the Mustang from a stop to 60 mph in a little more than four seconds. The automatic is better than the manual if you want the quickest acceleration. Fuel economy in the Mustang GT is rated at 16 mpg city and 25 mpg highway.
If you want ultimate performance, there’s the Mustang Shelby GT350 and GT350R. These are track-ready racing Mustangs with an even more powerful V8 engine. The GT350 comes with 526 horsepower and 429 pound-feet of torque. The GT350R includes every performance option. They even strip out the back seat and radio for you.
Should I Buy a Current 2019 Ford Mustang?
Looking for a serious performance car? It’s hard to find a better choice than the Ford Mustang. Whether you choose the turbo four-cylinder or the V8 engine, you’re getting a lot of power. The coupe and the convertible are both good options depending on the weather where you live. It’s hard to go wrong with a 2019 Mustang.
Should I buy a Used 2019 Ford Mustang? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
Used Mustangs are easy to find, but be sure the one you buy has not been abused. A careful pre-purchase inspection is always a good idea. Even better, Ford has a certified pre-owned program. Ford CPO cars are subjected to a 172-point inspected and they come with a one-year, 12,000-mile warranty.
All Mustangs come with a three-year, 36,000-mile warranty, and Ford covers the Mustang’s drivetrain for five years and 60,000 miles. A late-model used Mustang could still be covered under the original warranty.
How Much Does the New 2019 Ford Mustang Cost?
The basic 2019 Ford Mustang is the four-cylinder coupe. This car retails for $26,395, while the base convertible sells for $31,895. If you choose Premium trim, the coupe ist $31,410 while the convertible carries a $36,910 sticker price.
The Mustang GT coupe sells for $35,355, and the GT with Premium trim is $39,355. The Mustang GT convertible is available only in Premium trim, and costs $44,855.
In the high-performance arena, the Mustang Bullitt sells for $46,855. The Mustang Shelby GT350 is $59,140, and the GT350R costs $67,135.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Ford Mustang
- Breathtaking performance
- Iconic styling
- Affordable starting price
- Modern technology features
- Small back seat
- Expensive to insure
The History of the Ford Mustang: Over Five Decades of Mustang
The original Mustang was released in mid-1964 as a 1965 model. Ford sold 559,500 Mustangs that year, setting all kinds of records within the company. 1966 was even better, with 607,500 Mustangs leaving the factory.
There have been five major redesigns in the past 55 years, but each generation has been distinct. Ford has also made dozens of special editions, and most of those have been performance-oriented.
Today, the Mustang represents the best of Ford performance tuning. Whether a buyer chooses the EcoBoost four-cylinder or one of the V8 options, the Mustang inspires admiration and respect.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Ford Mustang
- Body Style
- 2.3L EcoBoost
- 310 hp
- 6-Speed Manual
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.3L EcoBoost
- Transmission: 6-Speed Manual -inc: reverse lockout pull ring
- 50-State Emissions
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 3.31 Axle Ratio
- 60-Amp/Hr Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 16 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Mechanical Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 17" Sparkle Silver-Painted Aluminum
- Tires: P235/55R17 BSW AS
- Wheels w/Locks
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Convex Spotter and Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Black Grille
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Autolamp Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM Stereo -inc: 6-speakers and MP3 capability
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation and Radio Data System
- Streaming Audio
- Fixed Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- 6-Way Driver Seat
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Rear Seat Easy Entry
- 50-50 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Cloth Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Voltmeter, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Level, Oil Temperature, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Fixed Rear Windows
- Leather/Aluminum Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Simulated Carbon Fiber Instrument Panel Insert and Chrome Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather/Aluminum Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Bucket Seats -inc: 4-way manual driver and 2-way manual passenger, driver memory recline and 4-way adjustable front head restraints
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows and Remote Engine Start
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- SYNC Communications & Entertainment System -inc: enhanced voice recognition, 4.2" LCD screen in center stack, AppLink, 911 Assist and 2 smart charging USB ports
- Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- Perimeter Alarm
- Securilock Anti-Theft Ignition (pats) Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- AdvanceTrac Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Mykey System -inc: Top Speed Limiter, Audio Volume Limiter, Early Low Fuel Warning, Programmable Sound Chimes and Beltminder w/Audio Mute
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera