Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Lots of cargo space
- Roomy, versatile cabin
- Superb outward visibility
- Potent engine selection
Ford Flex: Everything You Need to Know
About the Ford Flex:
The 2019 Ford Flex is a midsize crossover SUV that’s notable for its distinctively boxy exterior design. The Flex’s cabin is both cavernous and versatile, offering lots of room for passengers and cargo alike. And its engine selection is rewarding. This crossover is available with an optional turbocharged V6 that provides bracing acceleration.
Ford’s Flex seats seven passengers. Buyers can choose between two powertrains. Both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive are offered.
The Flex was introduced with the 2009 model. Since then, it’s soldiered on without a redesign. Some aspects of its interior don’t look as up-to-date as they should, and rival models offer much better fuel economy. These are factors to consider when deciding if a Ford Flex is the right vehicle for you.
What’s New in the 2019 Ford Flex?
The Flex is currently offered in three trim levels:
- The base SE trim comes with single-zone automatic climate control and a manual liftgate.
- With the mid-range SEL trim, dual-zone automatic climate control is standard, as well as keyless entry and ignition.
- The top Limited trim is equipped with a power liftgate and rain-sensing windshield wipers.
For the 2019 model year, a universal garage door opener has been added as standard equipment on the Limited trim, and it’s optional on SEL models. Also, the Flex now offers active park assist as a standalone option.
What Does the 2019 Ford Flex Compete With?
Ford’s Flex is usually cross-shopped against these midsize SUVs:
- Toyota Highlander
- Honda Passport
- Mazda CX-9
- Subaru Ascent
- Kia Sorento
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Volkswagen Atlas
- Honda Pilot
- Chevrolet Traverse
- Buick Enclave
- Ford Edge
- Nissan Murano
- Ford Explorer
- Chevrolet Blazer
- Toyota 4Runner
There is an almost endless selection of midsize SUVs on the market. The Flex carves a niche for itself with its unique sheet metal and generously sized cabin.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Ford Flex
Most of today’s crossovers boast a curvy, organic design. The Ford Flex bucks this trend. Its exterior is boxy and angular, and it has a tall, upright stance. Its styling gives the Flex a look that’s either dated or pleasantly distinctive, depending on your perspective.
The crossover’s front fascia looks smooth and sleek, with a modern grille and a sculpted bumper. Four deep accent lines are etched across the Flex’s side panels. Tall windows and an expansive windshield round out this SUV’s look.
Base Flex models come with automatic halogen projector-beam headlights and travel on 17-inch wheels. SEL models are equipped with 18-inch wheels. With the Limited trim, you get 19-inch wheels, HID headlights and LED taillamps. Roof-rack side rails and a panoramic sunroof are available.
Interior Style in the 2019 Ford Flex
The Flex’s cabin mirrors the angular design cues seen in its exterior. Rectangular air vents sit at both ends of the chunky dash. A waterfall-style center stack dominates the front of the cabin. The Flex’s interior design is pleasant enough, but some aspects look a bit outmoded. Rival models feature cabins with a more upmarket and contemporary appearance.
This crossover’s interior is vast in size. The first two rows offer expansive amounts of legroom, and the third row provides adequate room for adults. The Flex’s large windows make its cabin seem even more spacious and provide good outward visibility for the driver.
The Flex shines when it comes to cargo space. With all seats in place, it provides 20 cubic feet of cargo capacity. This expands to 43.2 cubic feet with the third row lowered. Cargo space swells to a whopping 83.2 cubic feet with the second and third rows folded.
Base models come with a power-adjustable driver’s seat and a steering column that tilts and telescopes. The list of available features includes power-adjustable pedals, as well as heated and cooled front seats.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Ford Flex?
The Flex provides a reasonably modern range of tech features. Base models come with a 4.2-inch display screen and Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free phone calls. A six-speaker sound system with a CD player is also standard.
SEL models add satellite radio and an 8.0-inch touchscreen. This trim also comes standard with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration.
With the Limited trim, a voice-activated integrated navigation system is standard, as well as a twelve-speaker Sony audio system.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Ford Flex?
Flex buyers enjoy access to a modern range of active safety features. Base models are equipped with rear parking sensors that make it easier to maneuver this large vehicle into tight spaces. And a standard rearview camera provides a view of the path behind the vehicle when in reverse.
The list of options includes a blind-spot warning system. This technology lets drivers know if there’s an adjacent vehicle when attempting to change lanes. Adaptive cruise control is also available. Additionally, buyers can equip the Flex with options like rear cross-traffic alert and a forward collision warning system.
These optional features are available solely on the top trim levels. Many rivals offer several of these amenities as standard equipment on all trims.
What Is the 2019 Ford Flex Like to Drive?
Overall, the Flex delivers handling that’s comfortable and pleasant. But it feels larger and more cumbersome on the road than rival models in this segment.
On rough road surfaces, the Flex can get a bit bouncy. The cabin also experiences a fair amount of wind and road noise at highway speeds. Other picks in this category feel more refined.
The Flex’s steering doesn’t provide lots of feedback. This makes the driving experience less enjoyable than it could be in certain situations.
Base models come with a 3.5-liter V6. This engine generates 287 horsepower and 254 pound-feet of torque. There’s also an optional turbocharged V6 that provides 365 horsepower and 350 pound-feet of torque. Both engines are potent, but the turbocharged powerplant helps the Flex deliver unusually quick acceleration.
A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, along with front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is available for better traction in rain and snow.
The Flex Is at the bottom of its class when it comes to fuel economy. Its gas mileage tops out at just 16/23 mpg city/highway.
Should I Buy a New Ford Flex?
When it comes to roominess, you can’t fault the Ford Flex. Its cabin is spacious, and it offers lots of cargo capacity.
It also boasts unique sheet metal that some shoppers may find appealing. If all this sounds attractive, it’s worth a look. But keep in mind that other models rate more highly in areas like fuel economy and overall refinement.
Should I Buy a Used Ford Flex? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
A used Flex deserves consideration when shopping for a pre-owned vehicle. In the 2013 model year, the Flex expanded its range of active safety features to include amenities like a blind-spot warning system and adaptive cruise control. Choose a 2013 or newer model if you want access to these features.
How Much Does the 2019 Ford Flex Cost?
The 2019 Ford Flex has a starting price of $30,575. This makes it one of the most affordable picks in its segment.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Ford Flex
- Lots of cargo space
- Spacious, airy cabin
- Excellent outward visibility
- Potent engine lineup
- Styling may seem dated to some
- Lags the pack in fuel economy
- Desirable active safety features not offered on base models
The History of the Ford Flex: A Stylish Minivan Alternative
The Ford Flex debuted as a 2009 model. This crossover was intended to provide seven-passenger transportation that was more stylish than the typical minivan. It was designed to vaguely resemble a Woodie station wagon.
Though the Flex is still in its first generation, it got some notable updates in the 2013 model year. It received exterior styling revisions, and it welcomed a wealth of new active safety features. It also added a more powerful base engine.
Ford is expected to retire the Flex after the 2020 model year.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Ford Flex
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 3.5L Ti-VCT V6
- 287 hp
- 6-Speed SelectShift Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6
- Transmission: 6-Speed SelectShift Automatic -inc: shifter-button activation
- 3.39 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 5,970 lbs
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 72-Amp/Hr 650CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 175 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 18.6 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs and Brake Assist
- Wheels: 17" Sparkle Silver-Painted Aluminum
- Tires: P235/60R17 All-Season BSW
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim, Black Front Windshield Trim and Black Rear Window Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Black Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper, Heated Wiper Park and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Chrome Grille
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Autolamp Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Laminated Glass
- Radio: AM/FM Single-CD/MP3 Capable -inc: auxiliary audio input jack and 6-speaker system
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- SYNC Communications & Entertainment System -inc: enhanced voice recognition, 911 Assist, 4.2" LCD screen in center stack, AppLink and 1 smart-charging USB port,
- Streaming Audio
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Fold Flat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Tumble Forward Cloth Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Selective Service Internet Access
- Fixed 50-50 Split-Bench Cloth 3rd Row Seat Front, Manual Fold Into Floor, 2 Manual and Adjustable Head Restraints
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Headliner/Pillar Ducts
- Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Cloth Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way power driver seat w/manual recline and lumbar, 2-way manual front-passenger seat and driver/front-passenger 4-way head restraints
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Chrome Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather/Chrome Gear Shift Knob
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Instrument Panel Bin, Interior Concealed Storage, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Securilock Anti-Theft Ignition (pats) Engine Immobilizer
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- AdvanceTrac w/Roll Stability Control Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Rear Parking Sensors
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Safety Canopy System Curtain 1st, 2nd And 3rd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Mykey System -inc: Top Speed Limiter, Audio Volume Limiter, Early Low Fuel Warning, Programmable Sound Chimes and Beltminder w/Audio Mute
- Childseat Sensor and Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera