Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Excellent towing capacity
- Powerful standard engine
- Large cabin with eight seats
- Numerous tech features
Ford Expedition: Everything You Need to Know
About the Ford Expedition:
The Expedition is the largest SUV from Ford. It has a roomy interior, and shares many details with the F-150 pickup truck. This gives it an advantage for utility and practicality. It also helps the big SUV drive off-road. It comes in rear-wheel or four-wheel drive.
With room for eight, this SUV is a good choice for large families. It is also well-suited for buyers who need a rugged tow rig that can handle large loads.
The Expedition comes in standard and Max editions. The Expedition Max uses an extended wheelbase that adds mostly cargo room. Both versions of the Ford SUV provide three rows of seats.
What’s New in the 2019 Ford Expedition?
The SUV was redesigned in 2018, so the 2019 model receives no major changes. A Stealth package with black trim and wheels is now available, and tri-zone automatic climate control is added to the features list. There is also a Texas Edition, which includes its own unique 22-inch wheels and suspension setup.
What Does the 2019 Ford Expedition Compete With?
The Ford competes with the following large SUVs:
The most popular 2019 Expedition is the base XLT trim. It includes:
- Sync infotainment system
- Upgraded audio
- Power driver's seat
- Fifteen cupholders
- Satellite radio
With a few added options (leather seats with heating and cooling, and the larger Sync infotainment screen), it offers better value than the pricier Expedition Limited.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Ford Expedition
There are almost no changes to the 2019 Ford SUV’s exterior. One exception is the Stealth package, which adds black trim inside and out, plus unique 22-inch rims to the Limited trim. The new Texas Edition also gets its own black 22-inch rims and special badges.
Standard exterior features for the Expedition include:
- Fog lamps
- Running boards
- Roof rack rails
- 18-inch wheels
Despite being linked to the F-150, there are enough styling differences to give the Expedition its own personality. The front gets a unique grille and bumper setup. In profile, the SUV is slab-sided and powerful-looking. This characteristic extends to the rear of the truck. Max models are visibly longer, and somewhat awkward as a result.
The Expedition Limited adds power running boards that retract when not in use. It also upgrades to 20-inch wheels and extra chrome. The Platinum trim has 22-inch wheels and a large sunroof.
Interior Style in the 2019 Ford Expedition
Both the 2019 Expedition and Expedition Max are huge inside.
All Expedition SUVs seat eight across three rows. The driver gets a truck-like view of the road ahead, with good access to controls. There's a roomy second row, and it's easy to climb in and out. The second-row seats fold forward for walk-in access to the power-folding third row. The rearmost seat is comfortable for adults, even on long drives. Bucket seats can replace the second-row bench. They drop passenger capacity to seven.
There are LATCH hooks provided, and plenty of storage at each row for small items. Interior materials are OK, but can seem cheap on the expensive, high-level trims.
Even though the Expedition Max is longer, it only has slightly more passenger room. The real benefit for Max buyers comes in the cargo area. The standard Expedition has over 100 cubic feet of total space behind the front row. The Max adds another 20 percent. It also nearly doubles the cargo room behind the third row. There's very little you can't fit inside the Expedition with the rear seats folded flat.
The Expedition Limited has heated and cooled seats in front, and heated seats in the second row. The Platinum gains high-end leather throughout the cabin. It also gives rear seat passengers their own climate controls. A massage function keeps Platinum drivers relaxed.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Ford Expedition?
The Expedition has plenty of technology, but you'll have to pay more for some equipment.
The 2019 model comes standard with:
- 4.0-inch Sync infotainment system
- Satellite radio
- Power driver's seat
- Parking assistance
- Terrain Management system
The following high-tech features are optional:
- Massage seats
- Rear-seat entertainment screens
- Active safety gear
- 8.0-inch Sync3 touchscreen infotainment system
- Amazon Alexa integration
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot
- Apple Carplay/Android Auto
Most of the SUV’s tech and safety features are bundled in optional packages. Some of these are quite expensive.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Ford Expedition?
The base SUV doesn't come with many active safety features.
Standard safety equipment for the Expedition includes:
- Parking assistance
- Post-crash alert: Automatically contacts first responders if an accident is detected
- Trailer sway control: Counteract a swaying trailer while towing
The Expedition offers the following safety options:
- Blind-spot monitoring: Keeps watch along both sides of the vehicle for hidden traffic
- Lane departure warning: Alerts driver if the SUV leaves its lane
- Lane keeping assist: Automatically returns SUV to its lane should it stray too close to the marking lines on the pavement
- Adaptive cruise control: Keeps a pre-set distance between the SUV and the vehicle ahead.
Some of these options aren’t available individually, but are included in expensive packages.
What is the 2019 Ford Expedition Like to drive?
A 3.5-liter twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 is the only engine. It is rated at 375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque in base XLT trim, and is mated to a ten-speed automatic transmission. The range-topping Platinum trim’s engine gains an extra 25 horsepower and 10 pound-feet of torque when running premium unleaded fuel.
The rear-wheel-drive Expedition provides fuel economy rated at 17 mpg city and 24 mpg highway.
Even in the base model, the SUV feels very quick. This is surprising given its size and weight. Its turbocharged V6 delivers great low-end torque on demand. It is also very quiet and comfortable on long trips. An independent rear suspension gives it a slight handling edge over its Chevrolet and GMC rivals.
The Expedition’s high torque rating, combined with its ten-speed transmission, makes it an solid tow vehicle. Its tow rating is 9,300 pounds, which is near the front of the SUV pack. Keep in mind that fuel mileage will drop while hauling a heavy load.
Four-wheel drive makes the Ford Expedition a good option in snowy climates. It also features a Terrain Management system. This is designed to change how the SUV drives when tackling different situations like grass, gravel, and mud. It's operated using controls on the center console. Although it offers excellent grip, the Expedition is very large, which limits the off-road trails it can traverse.
The SUV's bulk can be challenging in city traffic. And even more difficult to park. These issues are multiplied for the larger Expedition Max. The tall ride height of the large SUV prevents it from driving into most parking garages.
Should I Buy a 2019 Ford Expedition?
Given its high cost, large size, and low fuel economy, the 2019 Expedition only makes sense for very specific buyers. If you want a comfortable tow vehicle, it’s a good choice. If you need to carry a large number of passengers at the same time, there are few other options. Other buyers would likely appreciate a smaller vehicle.
Should I buy a Used Ford Expedition?
The Expedition was redesigned for 2018, so there are not many used updated models currently for sale. The previous model is similar in terms of passenger room and towing capacity, but it lacks the technology features and advanced safety of the current SUV. It may be fine for those who need a hauler on a tighter budget.
How Much Does the New 2019 Ford Expedition Cost?
The 2019 Expedition starts at $52,130. The Platinum trim is much more expensive at $73,365. That figure pushes the Ford against true luxury SUVs with better features. That makes the Platinum hard to recommend.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Ford Expedition
- Super-sized cargo space and passenger room
- Powerful standard engine
- Excellent towing capability
- Handsome styling
- Good winter performance
- Platinum trim priced too near luxury competitors
- Difficult to maneuver in the city
- Low fuel economy
- Safety features only part of expensive option packages
The History of the Ford Expedition: 22 years of Expedition
The Ford Expedition appeared in 1997 as a four-door replacement for the two-door Bronco SUV. It shared its platform, V8 power, and interior with the Ford F-150 pickup. In 2003, the SUV was redesigned to include a new independent rear suspension. It also a nicer cabin and increased tow rating. For 2007 the Ford Expedition was refreshed again. This time Ford introduced the extended-length EL model (predecessor to the Max). Eventually the original V8 was replaced with the twin-turbo V8 it uses today.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Ford Expedition
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 3.5L EcoBoost V6
- 375 hp
- 10-Speed Automatic w/SelectShift
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6 -inc: auto start-stop technology
- Transmission: 10-Speed Automatic w/SelectShift
- 3.15 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 7,200 lbs
- 50 States Emissions System
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Oil Cooler
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 72-Amp/Hr 675CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 150 Amp Alternator
- Class III Towing Equipment -inc: Hitch and Trailer Sway Control
- Trailer Wiring Harness
- 1750lbs. Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 23.3 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 18" Machined-Face Aluminum -inc: magnetic-painted pockets
- Tires: P275/65R18 AS BSW
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Full-Size Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper w/Gray Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Colored Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Stainless Steel Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Bodyside Cladding and Body-Colored Fender Flares
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Flip-Up Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper, Heated Wiper Park and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Wiper Park
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Running Boards
- Chrome Grille
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Auto High-Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Radio: AM/FM Stereo w/MP3 Capable -inc: speed-compensated volume and 6 speakers
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Window Grid Antenna
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio -inc: SiriusXM audio and data services each require a subscription sold separately, or as a package, by Sirius XM Radio Inc, If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates, Fees and taxes apply, To cancel you must call SiriusXM at 1-866-635-2349, See SiriusXM customer agreement for complete terms at www.siriusxm.com, All fees and programming subject to change, Sirius, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of Sirius XM Radio Inc, Not available in Alaska or Hawaii, 6-month prepaid subscription
- SYNC 3 Communications & Entertainment System -inc: enhanced voice recognition, 8" center LCD capacitive touch-screen w/swiping and pinch-to-zoom capabilities (when ordered w/navigation system), AppLink, 911 Assist, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility and (2) smart charging USB ports in media hub
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Safety Canopy System Curtain 1st, 2nd And 3rd Row Airbags
- Driver Seat
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Fore/Aft Movement
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Cloth Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Voltmeter, Oil Pressure, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Fixed 60-40 Split-Bench Cloth 3rd Row Seat Front, Power Recline, Power Fold Into Floor and 3 Fixed Head Restraints
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Front Cigar Lighter(s)
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Keyfob Rear Window
- Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Auxiliary Rear Heater and Headliner/Pillar Ducts
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Glove Box
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Vinyl Door Trim Insert
- Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Front Captain's Chairs -inc: 8-passenger seating, 8-way power driver seat w/manual recline and power lumbar and 2-way manual passenger seat
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Full Overhead Console w/Storage, Conversation Mirror and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Net
- Cargo Space Lights
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Tracker System
- Dashboard Storage, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Fixed Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- Perimeter Alarm
- Securilock Anti-Theft Ignition (pats) Engine Immobilizer
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Ford Co-Pilot360 - Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) Blind Spot Sensor
- Ford Co-Pilot360 - Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) and Cross-Traffic Alert
- Ford Co-Pilot360 - Lane-Keeping Assist Lane Keeping Assist
- Ford Co-Pilot360 - Lane-Keeping Assist Lane Departure Warning
- Rear Parking Sensors
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Mykey System -inc: Top Speed Limiter, Audio Volume Limiter, Early Low Fuel Warning, Programmable Sound Chimes and Beltminder w/Audio Mute
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera w/Washer