Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Easy to drive
- Excellent power from the available 2.0-liter turbocharged engine
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Available all-wheel drive
- Seating for five passengers
2019 Ford Escape: Everything You Need to Know
About the Ford Escape
The 2019 Ford Escape is a two-row, compact crossover sport utility vehicle. Compact SUVs are the best-selling segment of the auto industry, so Ford makes sure that the Escape offers good value. The Escape includes all the features that buyers expect in a modern SUV, along with quality and reliability.
The base engine, which provides just adequate power, is a 2.5-liter four-cylinder that produces 168 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque. A better choice is the available 1.5-liter turbocharged four that’s rated at 179 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque. But the top dog is the Titanium trim’s 2.5-liter turbo four that puts out 245 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque.
Recently, Ford has revealed that a new Escape will be released for the 2020 model year. The new model has been completely redesigned to meet current market demands. This generation will offer two hybrid drivetrain options, as well as two high-performance gasoline engines. A more luxurious and technically advanced cabin is also included. The 2020 Escape is expected to go on sale in the fall of 2019.
What’s New in the 2019 Ford Escape?
The 2019 Escape gets a few new options and colors for its final year on the market:
- Sun & Style package includes panoramic moonroof and 18-inch wheels
- Titanium Safe & Smart package includes a host of safety and convenience features
- SEL Sport Appearance package includes 19-inch wheels and upgraded interior and exterior trim
- New paint colors include Agate Black, Baltic Sea Green, and Sedona Orange
What Does the 2019 Ford Escape Compete With?
The compact crossover SUV segment is the most popular class in the automobile industry, so there are many competitors to the Escape. This year’s market leaders include:
All of these competitors offer good-quality features at about the same price points. Competition is fierce among compact SUVs, and that keeps prices and equipment about equal across brands.
Compact SUVs tend to be purchased by couples and small families, or those who enjoy outdoor activities. All-wheel drive is a major factor in purchase decisions, along with a solid technology package. Affordability and reliability are key requirements for compact SUV buyers.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Ford Escape
The 2019 Ford Escape is similar in appearance to other compact crossover SUVs. It’s a good-looking vehicle with a sporty stance and large doors for easy access. You can identify the current generation of the Escape by its trademark grille shape.
Standard exterior features include:
- Active grille shutters to enhance fuel economy
- Daytime running lights
- 17-inch steel wheels
- Black trim
Ford sells the 2019 Escape in four different trim levels. S trim is the base model. SE, SEL, and Titanium are the upgrade options. Some visible exterior cues for the upgraded trims are:
- Bright chrome trim on SE and above
- Rear privacy glass on SE and above
- Roof rails on SEL and above
- LED signature lights on SEL and above
- 19-inch wheels on Titanium
- HID headlights on Titanium
Interior Style in the 2019 Ford Escape
Ford provides a comfortable, well-designed interior for the Escape. The standard seats are covered with durable cloth in the S and SE trims. Leather is standard on Titanium trim, and a new material called ActiveX is standard on the Escape SEL.
All Escape seats are adjustable, and the rear seats recline a little bit in all trim levels. The Escape SE and higher trims have heated power adjustable front seats as standard equipment.
The Escape seats five, although it can be crowded with three adults in the back. LATCH hookups for child seats are located in the second row. Total cargo area is 34 cubic feet behind the rear seats and 68 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. That’s big enough to carry fairly large appliances or make a trip to the home-supply store or garden center.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Ford Escape?
Ford offers good basic technology for all Escape models. The base S trim receives an AM/FM radio with a USB port for music streaming and a 4.2-inch display. This system supports Ford’s basic Sync system, which enables voice control for the radio, hands-free phone calls, and certain apps with paired phones.
The SE and SEL trims upgrade the tech package to an 8.0-inch touchscreen with Sync3. This advanced system supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, bringing navigation and visual app compatibility into the Escape. Sirius satellite radio is also supported.
The top Titanium trim adds onboard navigation to Sync3, as well as a Sony premium audio system. Real-time traffic reports from Sirius/XM are included in this package.
Any Escape with the Sync3 system supports Amazon’s Alexa system through a special Ford+Alexa app. This feature brings voice-controlled navigation, traffic information, and dynamic Internet access into the vehicle.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Ford Escape?
As a family-oriented vehicle, the Escape is heavy on safety and driver-assistance features. All Escape models come with stability control and a full set of airbags, plus a rear-view camera. The Titanium trim gets Enhanced Active Park Assist, which allows the vehicle to park itself automatically.
Higher trim levels and the Safe & Smart option package add more advanced features, including:
- Adaptive cruise control
- Forward collision warning with automatic braking
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Lane-departure warning and lane-keeping assist
- Automatic high-beam headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
The 2019 Ford Escape earned the top five-star safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). However, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) gave the 2019 Escape a Poor rating for the small overlap crash test on the passenger side. Ford
reinforced the driver’s side chassis starting in 2017 but has not updated the passenger side. The upcoming 2020 model has not yet been rated for crash safety.
What is the 2019 Ford Escape Like to Drive?
The 2019 Ford Escape is easy to drive. Visibility is excellent, although we still recommend spending the money to get the Safe & Smart package for additional driver-assistance features.
The standard engine in the S trim offers adequate power, but the features that entice buyers into the upper trims also include more robust engine choices. The Titanium trim in particular offers exciting engine power from the 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine, plus advanced safety and driver assistance features and the best interior.
Fuel economy ranges from a high of 23 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway with the 1.5-liter engine down to 21 mpg city and 27 mpg highway with the 2.0-liter powerplant.
With just a few trims to choose from and a small price difference between models, the smartest thing to do with the 2019 Ford Escape is to choose a higher trim level. You’ll get an SUV you can enjoy for years to come.
Should I Buy a 2019 Ford Escape?
Buying the final year of a vehicle’s current generation is always a question of value. The new 2020 Escape is sure to offer more features, but it might also involve a significant price jump. Dealers will be more willing to make a great deal on a 2019 Escape as more information comes out about the next-generation model.
One thing is certain: the 2019 Ford Escape is a great choice, and if you get the features and trim you want, you can enjoy this vehicle for many years. And if you can buy your Escape at a discount, that’s even better.
Should I buy a Used Ford Escape? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The current generation Escape received extensive updates in 2017, so buying a pre-owned model made in the last three years is the best choice. Some of these Escapes are still covered by the original factory warranty of three years or 36,000 miles. The powertrain warranty covers the Escape for five years or 60,000 miles, so you’ll have some peace of mind there, as well.
If you are considering an older Escape, ask about Ford’s certified pre-owned program. Every certified vehicle receives a 172-point inspection before being sold. Ford then issues a new 12-month or 12,000-mile warranty on every CPO vehicle.
How Much Does the New Ford Escape Cost?
The 2019 Ford Escape starts at $25,200 for the basic S trim and front-wheel-drive. Ford does not provide many options on this trim; so advanced features will not be available.
The Escape SE starts at $27,595 with the 1.5-liter EcoBoost engine and front-wheel-drive. The 2019 Escape SEL costs $29,540 with the same setup. Upgrading the SE or SEL trim to all-wheel-drive costs $1,500 extra. Adding the Safe & Smart driver assistance package costs $995.
The top 2019 Ford Escape Titanium carries a retail price of $33,715. For that you get the 2.0-liter EcoBoost high-performance engine, heated leather seats, and the automatic parking package. Adding all-wheel-drive still costs $1,500 extra, and the special Titanium Safe & Smart package costs $1,895.
All prices include a destination fee of $1,095.
Checking all the option boxes on a 2019 Escape pushes the price above $35,000, but Ford is already applying incentives to sweeten the deal. If you can get a great price on a top-trim Escape this year, it could be smartest deal available on a new SUV.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Ford Escape
- Easy to drive
- Comfortable interior
- Choice of engines
- Available advanced safety features
- Updated model arriving soon, so current Escape will be outdated
- Base engine lacks power
- Advanced safety and driver-assist features cost extra
The History of the Ford Escape: Ford’s Best-Selling Crossover SUV
Ford introduced the Escape in the 2001 model year. The new compact SUV was an instant success. By the end of the year, it was the best-selling small SUV in America. Ford made news again in the 2005 model year when the Escape became the first American SUV to offer a hybrid drivetrain. Over 114,000 Escape hybrids have been sold.
The current generation of the Escape debuted in the 2013 model year, offering buyers a high quality and affordable compact crossover design. The current Escape has become Ford’s second best-selling model after the F-Series pickup truck.
Since its introduction, more than 4.5 million Ford Escape SUVs have been sold worldwide. Over 98 percent of those vehicles are still on the road today, which is an indication of the quality of this vehicle over time
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Ford Escape
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 1.5L EcoBoost
- 181 hp
- 8-Speed Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 1.5L EcoBoost -inc: auto start-stop technology
- Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic
- 3.52 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: TBD
- 50-State Emissions System
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Oil Cooler
- Front-Wheel Drive
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 14.7 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Short And Long Arm Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 17" Steel w/Sparkle Silver-Painted Covers
- Tires: 225/65R17 AS BSW -inc: mini spare
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Black Bumper Insert
- Black Rear Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Black Door Handles
- Black Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Autolamp Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Auto High-Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM Stereo -inc: 6 speakers and speed compensated volume
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- SYNC Communications & Entertainment System -inc: enhanced voice recognition communication, 911 Assist, 4.2" LCD screen in center stack, AppLink and 2 smart charging USB ports
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Cloth Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- FordPass Connect -inc: 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot that connects up to 10 devices (includes a complimentary trial subscription of 3 months or 3 gigabytes - whichever comes first, Wireless service plan required after trial subscription ends, Visit www.att.com/ford to start complimentary trail and sign up for a wireless service plan), Remote start w/specific time scheduling, lock and unlock, locate parked vehicle and check vehicle status ( service for 1 year from the vehicle sale date as recorded by the dealer)
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Voice Activated Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way manual driver (fore/aft, up/down, recline) and 4-way manual front passenger (fore/aft w/manual recline)
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Instrument Panel Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- 1 Seatback Storage Pocket
- Securilock Anti-Theft Ignition (pats) Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- AdvanceTrac w/Roll Stability Control Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Ford Co-Pilot360 - Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) Blind Spot Sensor
- Ford Co-Pilot360 - Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) and Ford Co-Pilot360 - Cross-Traffic Alert
- Lane Keeping Alert Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keeping Alert Lane Departure Warning
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Safety Canopy System Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Mykey System -inc: Top Speed Limiter, Audio Volume Limiter, Early Low Fuel Warning, Programmable Sound Chimes and Beltminder w/Audio Mute
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera