Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Comfortable interior
- Smooth, quiet ride, rivaling more upscale vehicles
- Surprisingly good performance
- Generous amount of cargo space
- Impressive list of standard safety features
2019 Ford Edge: Everything You Need to Know
About the Ford Edge:
The Ford Edge is a two-row midsize SUV that sits between Ford’s compact Escape and the larger Explorer. The Edge boasts comfortable seating for five adults, a large cargo area, and a host of standard safety and driver-assist features.
Many buyers will likely be happy with the standard front-wheel drive, but even though the Edge has no real off-road intent, Ford’s all-wheel drive is available for those who need a bit of extra traction in the snow or wet.
The Edge is worth a test drive for budget-minded shoppers looking for a comfortable, practical midsize SUV.
What’s New in the Current Ford Edge?
For 2019 the Ford Edge gets a fresh look, with a new front end, grille, and hood. Other changes include:
- New rear end and liftgate
- New eight-speed automatic transmission
- Center console with rotary gearshift
- Safety tech includes standard forward collision alert with automatic braking, lane-keeping assist, blind-spot monitor with cross-traffic alert, and automatic headlights
- The standard turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine gets a five-horsepower bump over last year
- The new Edge ST replaces the Sport model and features a twin-turbocharged V6 engine
The 2019 Ford Edge is available in four different trim levels:
- SE: The base Edge SE comes with a 2.0-Liter, four-cylinder engine that makes 250 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque. All engines are paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard with an all-wheel system optional. Other standard features include automatic headlights and windshield wipers, 18-inch wheels, and a host of technology, safety, and convenience items.
- SEL: This model adds features like better upholstery, power seats, keyless entry, dual-zone climate control, and Ford’s Sync 3 infotainment system with a larger display.
- Titanium: This trim level adds features that include heated leather front seats, a better sound system, 19-inch wheels, LED headlights, a hands-free liftgate, remote start, and different interior and exterior trim.
- ST: The performance model Edge ST comes with a 2.7-liter, twin-turbocharged V6 engine that puts out 335 horsepower and 380 pound-feet of torque. All-wheel drive is standard. Other features include 20-inch wheels, sport suspension, distinct exterior trim, and leather sport seats.
What Does the Ford Edge Compete With?
The 2019 Ford Edge competes with these vehicles:
With either the base turbocharged four-cylinder engine or the twin-turbo V6 in the ST model, the Edge is a performance leader in its class.
The roomy, comfortable interior and long list of safety features equal or better those of its competitors. Add in its accessible price, and the Edge makes a good choice for young families, older drivers, or anyone looking for a practical five-passenger SUV.
Exterior Design of the Ford Edge
For 2019, Ford gives the Edge a new hood design, headlights, and taillights. There’s also a wider grille and new front and rear bumpers. The doors, front fenders, and rear quarter panels remain the same.
Standard features on the base Edge SE include black trim, rear privacy glass, automatic headlights, LED daytime running lights and taillights, and rain-sensing windshield wipers. Higher trim levels and options include body-colored trim, LED headlights, heated power mirrors, and a sunroof.
Although the Edge’s fresh look does not particularly stand out from its rivals, it is considerably cleaner and sportier than past models. Overall, it’s a pleasing design that will appeal to many buyers.
Interior Style in the Ford Edge
The 2019 Ford Edge has a comfortable, roomy interior and offers plenty of space for people and cargo. Even though the cabin doesn’t have the cutting-edge design of some rivals, the feel is very functional and pleasant.
Unlike some competitors, the Edge has a second row that can seat three average-sized humans in comfort. Still, tall passengers might find back-seat headroom a bit lacking. With the 60/40 rear seat folded, cargo room expands quite a bit, making the Edge ideal for trips to the market or home store.
Interior materials in all trim levels are good quality for the price point. Cloth seats are standard in the SE, while higher trims go from better cloth to leather to perforated leather.
All Edge trim levels come with eight cupholders and steering wheels with cruise control, audio, and five-way controls. All models also include standard LATCH attachments, as well as rear child-safety door locks.
Even the base Ford Edge SE comes well equipped in the tech department. Higher trim levels and options allow you to add even more.
The 2019 Ford Edge gives buyers a list of standard features that includes:
- 4.2-inch display
- Four 12-volt power outlets
- Six-speaker AM/FM stereo radio
- USB port
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi
The 2019 Edge can be ordered with options that include:
- Navigation system
- 8.0-inch touchscreen
- Wireless charging pad
- Active park assist
- Premium sound system with 12 speakers
- DVD system
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 110-volt power outlet
What Kind of Safety Features are in the Ford Edge?
All models of the 2019 Ford Edge come standard with safety features that include:
- Automatic headlights
- Forward collision alert with automatic emergency braking
- Lane-keeping assist
- Blind spot monitor with cross-traffic alert
Optional safety features include:
- Adaptive cruise control with lane centering
- Front 180-degree camera
- Steering assist, which can help steer around a stopped or slow-moving vehicle
- Adaptive LED headlights
What is the Ford Edge Like to drive?
The 2019 Ford Edge delivers a smooth, comfortable ride. The seats are high enough for good forward and side visibility, extra sound insulation ensures a quiet cabin, and the suspension is gentle without being mushy.
The base turbocharged four-cylinder engine delivers a surprising amount of torque for a vehicle in this class. You generally have to move up in price or get into a European crossover to get more lively acceleration. Or you could consider the new Edge ST, whose twin-turbo V6 has even more torque.
The new eight-speed automatic transmission performed well in a test drive. It does the job smoothly, with quick shifts and properly spaced gear ratios.
The Edge isn’t a Mustang GT, but its steering is taut with a decent amount of road feel. It may not be the ideal vehicle to toss around on a twisty mountain road, but its handling meets or betters that of most competitors. The ST, with its sport suspension, is a definite improvement, but it’s still not going to win any rallies.
The standard two-wheel drive setup will likely suit most shoppers in the market for a daily family hauler. Those who live in areas that get a lot of snow or wet roads might want to order the optional all-wheel drive system. But even with the added traction, don’t expect the Edge to handle much more than mild off-road conditions.
Should I Buy a Current Ford Edge?
The 2019 Ford Edge is worth a look if you’re in the market for a five-passenger SUV. It offers many of the qualities of a higher-priced vehicle, including a comfortable interior, a smooth ride, and a host of the latest safety and driver-assist features.
One word of caution: If you plan on some serious off-roading or carving up twisty roads, the Edge is not the SUV for you. Its suspension and drivetrain aren’t designed for playing in the really rough stuff, and the handling is more relaxed than sporty.
Should I buy a Used Ford Edge? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
A used Ford Edge can be a good choice for buyers seeking a practical midsize SUV at a fair price. According to independent sources, such as J.D. Power, the Edge scores well in areas like quality, performance, depreciation, and reliability.
The latest generation of the Ford Edge was introduced for the 2015 model year, so we’d advise buyers to look for one of these newer models. That will give you the best chance of finding a vehicle with both the lowest mileage and the most up-to-date safety and convenience features.
How Much Does the New Ford Edge Cost?
Prices for the 2019 Ford Edge start at $31,090 for the base SE model, $34,395 for the SEL trim, $39,855 for the Titanium edition, and $43,450 for ST, all including destination charge .
Although these are not bargain-basement prices, they are competitive. And the 2019 Ford Edge offers a number of standard features – especially advanced safety tech items – that are optional on many rivals.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Ford Edge
- Comfortable, well-equipped interior
- Plenty of space for people and cargo
- Smooth, quiet ride
- Long list of standard safety and driver-assist features
- Good value
- Pleasant but not exciting exterior styling
- Handling shows its limits in high-speed cornering
- Interior lacks cutting-edge design of some competitors
- Visibility to the rear quarters a bit hampered by blind spots
The History of the Ford Edge: Midsize Value Since 2006
The Ford Edge was introduced at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show for the 2007 model year and gave the Dearborn automaker entry into the highly competitive midsize SUV segment. Since that time, it’s become a sales success and a popular choice among buyers looking for a just-right utility vehicle. It’s less truck-like than the company’s full-sized Expedition and a bit smaller than the three-row Explorer.
Available in front-wheel or all-wheel drive, the first generation Ford Edge was powered by the buyer’s choice of two V6 engines. But along with a facelift in 2011 came the choice of a 2.0-liter four-cylinder powerplant, as well. This option satisfied the needs of shoppers looking for better fuel economy.
The second-generation Ford Edge debuted in 2015 with updated exterior styling, a more spacious interior, and added technology. Power came from a standard all-new turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine or from two V6 options.
In 2019, the Edge got a fresh exterior, along with a number of other changes, including a new eight-speed transmission and the latest safety technology. Another addition for 2019 was the introduction of the performance-minded ST model, with a more powerful engine and sport-tuned suspension.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Ford Edge
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- Twin-Scroll 2.0L EcoBoost
- 250 hp
- 8-Speed Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: Twin-Scroll 2.0L EcoBoost -inc: auto start-stop technology
- Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic -inc: Active Transmission Warm-Up
- 3.80 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: TBA
- 50-State Emissions System
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 70-Amp/Hr 760CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 18.4 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Polished Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 18" Sparkle Silver-Painted Aluminum
- Tires: 245/60R18 AS BSW
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Bodyside Cladding
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Black Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Metal-Look Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Autolamp Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Auto High-Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM Stereo/MP3 Capable -inc: 6 speakers, speed-compensated volume and USB media hub
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock and Steering Wheel Controls
- Streaming Audio
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- SiriusXM Radio -inc: a 6-month prepaid subscription, Service is not available in Alaska and Hawaii, Subscriptions to all SiriusXM services are sold by SiriusXM after trial period, If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates, Fees and taxes apply, To cancel you must call SiriusXM at 1-866-635-2349, See SiriusXM customer agreement for complete terms at www.siriusxm.com, All fees and programming subject to change, Sirius, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of Sirius XM Radio Inc
- SYNC 3 Communications & Entertainment System -inc: enhanced voice recognition, 8" LCD capacitive touchscreen in center stack w/swipe capability, AppLink, 911 Assist, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility and 2 smart-charging multimedia USB ports
- Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Cloth Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- FordPass Connect -inc: 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot that connects up to 10 devices (includes a complimentary trial subscription of 3 months or 3 gigabytes - whichever comes first, Wireless service plan required after trial subscription ends, Visit www.att.com/ford to start complimentary trail and sign up for a wireless service plan), Remote start w/specific time scheduling, lock and unlock, locate parked vehicle and check vehicle status ( service for 1 year from the vehicle sale date as recorded by the dealer)
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look/Piano Black Console Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Vinyl Door Trim Insert
- Cloth Bucket Seats -inc: 10-way power driver's seat (fore/aft, up/down, recline, tilt, lumbar) and 4-way manual front passenger seat (fore/aft, recline)
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Net
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Windows
- Instrument Panel Bin, Covered Dashboard Storage, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Securilock Anti-Theft Ignition (pats) Engine Immobilizer
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- AdvanceTrac w/Roll Stability Control Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Reverse Sensing System Rear Parking Sensors
- Ford Co-Pilot360 - Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) Blind Spot Sensor
- Ford Co-Pilot360 - Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) and Cross-Traffic Alert
- Ford Co-Pilot360 - Lane-Keeping Assist Lane Keeping Assist
- Ford Co-Pilot360 - Lane-Keeping Assist Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Safety Canopy System Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Mykey System -inc: Top Speed Limiter, Audio Volume Limiter, Early Low Fuel Warning, Programmable Sound Chimes and Beltminder w/Audio Mute
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Ford Co-Pilot360 - Reverse Camera Back-Up Camera w/Washer