Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Fun hybrid ride
- Comfortable, quality interior
- Lots of cargo space
- Good acceleration
- Dynamic handling
The Ford C-Max Hybrid is a comfortable and capable hybrid wagon that debuted in the United States in 2013 and that Ford produced through 2018. It provides high EPA-estimated fuel-economy data and the promise of a greener ride. With modern crossover looks and a ton of good features, the C-Max has a lot to offer.
The underpinnings it has in common with the Ford Focus make it very useful in helping drivers with any number of tasks. Many C-Max Hybrid fans enjoy how it handles and the quiet ride it provides. The cabin of the standard car is comfy and has plenty of room for passengers.
The Ford C-Max Hybrid uses an electric motor and a 2.0-liter engine combination to achieve 188 horsepower. The combo gets around 41 miles per gallon in combined city and highway driving. While those stats are great for the needs of some, others might find them lacking and continue their hybrid search elsewhere.
For many, the C-Max Hybrid is versatile and good enough on gas economy. They see the hybrid wagon as an all-around good choice in a vehicle with an upscale feel. With the Titanium trim package, the upgrade makes all the difference.
Many people find the best value to be with the base vehicle that has the Max SE trim level. The price tag on the entry-level package is reasonable to most hybrid shoppers. That package has everything a car buyer needs for an all-around good vehicle with ease of use, safety, and technology.
The SE trim level includes:
- 17-inch wheels
- Climate control
- An adjustable seat for the driver
- 60/40-split folding rear bench
- Leather-wrapped tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel
- Rearview camera
The technology in the SE trim Ford C-Max Hybrid includes a 110-volt power outlet like the ones in your house. You'll also enjoy a 4.2-inch display screen, Bluetooth capability, voice commands, and much more.
You can make the most of the infotainment system with the Ford smartphone app that has services like Pandora internet radio. The sound system has six speakers and a CD player. A USB interface and satellite radio capabilities add even more entertainment options.
When it comes to gas usage, you'll get 35 miles per gallon or better. This Ford Hybrid keeps providing great gas mileage even if you're making occasional jerking starts with the A/C on full blast and the radio playing loud. The electric motor will get you 118 horsepower with a super-quiet transmission system.
The Ford C-Max Hybrid offers a hands-free liftgate, which is one of its best features. As long as your key is on your person, the liftgate is setup so that you can wave your foot under the back bumper, and the gate lifts. It's a great feature for when you're carrying groceries or you have large items to load into your C-Max.
Other automakers have copied Ford C-Max Hybrid's liftgate because of the great convenience it offers. This car more than measures up with Prius when it comes to safety, comfort, and appearance. If it comes down to the most fun vehicle to drive, the C-Max Hybrid tends to come out on top.
Ford C-Max Hybrid Exterior Design
The Ford C-Max Hybrid is a wagon that seats up to five people and offers two basic trim levels. The more affordable SE package offers the basics and everything a vehicle needs to function well. The Titanium package offers more luxury and ease-of-use features, like automatic wipers, fog lights, heated seats and mirrors, and a premium stereo system.
You can find various C-Max Hybrid model years with exterior colors like blue, red, gray, black, gold, and white.
Ford C-Max Hybrid Interior Design
While the inside of this hybrid is comfy and made of quality materials, it's still a little behind Ford's later offerings. The layout of the center stack has an older design, but the front seats, with their leather trim, are comfortable and roomy. The SE models offer a higher-mounted gear shift and parking brake, which uses up more space up front.
What Interior Technology Does the Ford C-Max Hybrid Have?
The C-Max Hybrid offers a nice selection of technology for the driver to use, even if the controls are somewhat clunky. There's an available SYNC 3 system that makes managing Android Auto or Apple CarPlay easier. With the responsive touch screen, it's as simple to use the system as it is to use a smartphone.
What Safety Features Does the C-Max Hybrid Offer?
When it comes to safety, Ford's C-Max Hybrid has a lot to offer. There are many features to keep you safe, like anti-lock brakes, stability control, and air bags installed in strategic places. The C-Max's seat belts tighten to hold occupants securely in the event of an accident, and an onboard security system alerts you to different hazardous conditions.
Four-wheel disc braking and power-assisted steering also enhance the safety of every drive.
What’s It Like to Drive a Ford C-Max Hybrid?
The C-Max offers a quiet, competent ride that's comfortable, making it a good vehicle for cruising or long trips. Like other hybrid vehicles, the C-Max offers regenerative braking. This type of braking system uses the car's momentum to recharge the batteries when you're slowing down.
Should You Buy a Used Ford C-Max Hybrid?
Reported problems with the C-Max Hybrid were minor, and most were either problems with the command system or weak 12-volt batteries. If it has a completed record of service for both of those systems, you can purchase a used C-Max Hybrid with confidence. The Ford C-Max Hybrid offers an above-average fuel economy for its size and performance with a roomy cabin that's comfy and upscale.
If you're looking for a used Ford C-Max, you can find certified pre-owned models coming up for sale in dealership inventory now and then. You can also look into getting a pre-owned C-Max directly from the owner. Read the reviews and compare models to decide which Ford C-Max Hybrid is the one for you.
Pros and Cons of the 2018 Ford C-Max Hybrid
- Powerful, smooth ride with good acceleration when compared to other hybrid wagons
- Lots of cabin space for passengers
- Nice interior featuring soft plastics, premium cloths, and quality leather
- A quiet ride—the hybrid powertrain has a well-insulated cabin
- The flexible layout uses the cabin space well, providing lots of storage solutions
- There are similar hybrids that can get more than 50 miles per gallon
- The platform the C-Max used was never updated
- Large turning radius for the size of the vehicle
- Non-linear brake-pedal feel
Launched in America in 2013, Ford's C-Max Hybrid is a multipurpose, front-wheel drive hybrid vehicle. It combines electric and gas engines for enhanced fuel economy. C-Max's sizing is on par with similar wagons by other brands.
The gasoline-electric powertrain is a four-cylinder engine that works with an 88-kilowatt electric motor. C-Max Hybrid uses the momentum of those two powerful units with a CVT transmission with great results.
It gets a combined output of 188 horsepower, 42 mpg in the city, and 37 mpg on the highway. It has a travel range of 540 miles on one tank of gas. The special braking offered by C-Max lets the vehicle capture kinetic energy to recharge the battery.
C-Max plug-in models can use grid power to preheat before a drive. You can turn on the preheat setting remotely using a smartphone app. Small details like that enhance your everyday driving experience.
Because of its battery size, new C-Max Hybrids qualified for federal tax credits and were eligible for other local and state incentives as well. Check with the current requirements to see if the vehicle you're considering still qualifies.
Originally based on the platform used by the compact Ford Focus, C-Max cars are fuel-efficient, practical, and 6 inches taller than the Ford Focus. It can seat up to five passengers, and its cabin provides access to as much as 52.6 cubic feet of space. When introduced, there were two trim levels: SE and SEL.
The SE version offered eco-friendly cloth seating, Ford SYNC, and 17-inch wheels. It also had remote entry and a standard stereo system with six speakers. The SEL model had ambient lighting, heated seats, remote start, and rain-detecting windshield wipers.
The Ford C-Max Hybrid was one of five select finalists for the 2013 Green Car of the Year awarded by the Green Car Journal during the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show. Ford has not released a new version of the Ford C-Max Hybrid for 2019.
Specs & Key Features of the 2018 Ford C-Max Hybrid
- Body Style
- 2.0L iVCT Atkinson-Cycle I-4 Hybrid
- 188 hp
- Electronically Controlled (eCVT)
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L iVCT Atkinson-Cycle I-4 Hybrid
- Transmission: Electronically Controlled (eCVT) -inc: Continuously variable
- 50 State System -inc: Standard equipment on all C-Max Hybrid trim levels
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 2.57 Axle Ratio
- 390CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Hybrid Electric Motor
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 13.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Regenerative 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs and Brake Assist
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Lithium Ion Traction Battery
- Wheels: 17" Bright Silver Finish Painted Aluminum
- Tires: P225/50R17
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Convex Spotter, Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper, Heated Wiper Park and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: AM/FM/CD/MP3 Audio -inc: active noise cancellation, 6 speakers and speed-sensitive volume control
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Steering Wheel Controls, Radio Data System and SYNC 3 External Memory Control
- SYNC Communications & Entertainment System -inc: enhanced voice recognition, 911 Assist, 4.2" LCD screen in center stack, AppLink and 1 smart-charging USB port
- Streaming Audio
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- SiriusXM Radio -inc: 6-month prepaid subscription, Service is not available in Alaska and Hawaii, Subscriptions to all SiriusXM services are sold by SiriusXM after trial period, If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates, Fees and taxes apply, To cancel you must call SiriusXM at 1-888-635-2349, See SiriusXM customer agreement for complete terms at www.siriusxm.com, All fees and programming subject to change
- Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- 3 LCD Monitors In The Front
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Cloth Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Traction Battery Level, Power/Regen, Traction Battery Temperature, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Cloth Front Bucket Seats -inc: 10-way power driver seat (fore/aft, up/down, tilt, recline, w/2-way power lumbar), 4-way manual passenger seat (fore/aft, recline), and 2 4-way adjustable head restraints
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage, 2 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Roll-Up Cargo Cover
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Interior Concealed Storage, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins, 2nd Row Underseat Storage and Audio Media Storage
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Securilock Anti-Theft Ignition (pats) Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- AdvanceTrac w/Roll Stability Control Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Mykey System -inc: Top Speed Limiter, Audio Volume Limiter, Early Low Fuel Warning, Programmable Sound Chimes and Beltminder w/Audio Mute
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera