Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Good electric-only range
- Solid overall fuel economy
- Stylish, upscale interior space
- Comfortable and stylish interior
- User-friendly infotainment system
About the Ford C-Max Energi
A dedicated plug-in C-Max hybrid produced alongside the Ford C-Max, the Ford C-Max Energi was manufactured from 2013 through 2017.
A versatile, multipurpose car, the 2017 plug-in is also a capable plug-in hybrid gasoline-electric vehicle. The 2017 model was updated to include headlights with LED running lights, a stylish new grille, new 17-inch wheels, and reworked taillights. It's always been propelled by a 141-horsepower Atkinson-cycle 2.0-liter I-4 engine along with two electric motors for a combined horsepower output of 188.
What truly impresses about this Ford is its 7.6-kWh battery pack, which is a bit bigger than the regular C-Max's standard non-pluggable 1.4-kWh pack. The pack puts out enough power to drive the car as much as an EPA-rated 20 miles on electrons only.
After the pack is depleted, it functions as any other similar car, using the resources of the gasoline and electric motors as necessary. Recharging the pack once depleted takes around seven hours using a 120-volt charger and two and a half hours using a 240-volt unit.
While the pack gets impressive results, it uses a lot of cargo space at the rear of the vehicle. It can be obtrusive, particularly when the back seats are folded.
The pack comes up out of the floor, intruding on load space in the back. The regular C-Max has 25 cubic feet of cargo space while the plug-in has 5 five cubic feet less, on par with other compact SUVs.
Its pack doesn't impact the rest of the interior space, which is a bonus. The car remains easy to enter and low.
The C-Max Energi weighs around 3,860 pounds, 230 pounds more than the regular C-Max.
Performance is impacted by the battery's charge and the driving mode, which is a choice of Auto EV, EV Now, or EV Later. The electric motor is in charge using Auto EV with a fully charged pack. The four-cylinder engine will engage when you hit the gas pedal and give you more forward thrust.
EV Now keeps the car going on electrons that are available regardless of the right pedal position. Providing Energi with lots of energy for low-speed travel, the electric motor's 117 pounds-feet of torque is a bonus. The battery doesn't last long, however, if you run close to the EV mode's 75 miles per hour maximum speed.
EV Later is a conservation mode that lets the driver save the pack for later.
For those seeking a nice-looking, domestic hybrid with lots of room, the plug-in is a solid choice. You can seat five people in this model, which you can't do in many other popular similar vehicles. C-Max and its plug-in counterpart weren't, however, able to keep up with their peers on design and were only really renovated once.
The 2017 model was a five-passenger, four-door car with two trim levels available.
The SE trim level had many great standard features including 17-inch alloy wheels, automatic headlights, a rear spoiler, keyless entry, dual-zone climate control, and more. It also included a rear-view camera, a 110-volt power outlet, and lots of convenient and entertaining technology options.
The SE Driver Assist package added a power liftgate, reverse warning alerts, and a new Sync 3 system that used an 8-inch touchscreen. SE's Comfort Package added heated outer mirrors with puddle lamps, upscale leather upholstery, heated front seats, and a 10-way power-adjustable front passenger seat.
There's a Cold Weather package which adds heated outer mirrors, heated front seats, and nice cloth upholstery. A few stand-alone options were available as well, like a keyless entry keypad, voice-controlled navigation, and a panoramic glass roof.
The Titanium trim level provided heated outer mirrors with puddle lamps, fog lights, rain-sensing wipers, chrome trim, rear parking sensors, and more. It also featured nice leather upholstery, the 10-way adjustable front passenger seat, heated front seats, a push-button start switch, and much more.
Titanium's Driver Assist package added front parking sensors, blind-spot monitoring, a hands-free power liftgate, and assisted parallel parking. The panoramic glass roof, keyless keypad, and voice-controlled navigation were offered as stand-alone options for the Ford C-Max Energi.
The rounded exterior of the C-Max Energi has its advantages, particularly inside where there's generous headroom and space for bigger people and cargo. It very much resembles the regular hybrid with an additional port for the AC plug-in.
In 2017, the headlights and taillights were revised and the upper grille opening made smaller.
The Energi has a five-passenger interior with generous space inside the cabin for everyone. The cargo space is limited, though, with about 5 cubic feet less than the regular hybrid because of that larger pack. Folding rear seats can provide a tad more space, and the front seats are well-upholstered and very comfortable.
Controls are conveniently placed and simple. The available technology options really make this car an efficient, upscale experience.
What safety features are included?
The 2017 model included antilock disc brakes, traction and stability control, front side airbags, and a driver-side knee airbag. It also included full-length side curtain airbags for enhanced safety.
There are also daytime running lights and a rear-view camera. Other safety features, like rear parking sensors and more, were available as options with different trim levels.
What is it like to drive?
Even while it's tall but small, this vehicle delivers good acceleration provided by the torque-heavy electrical motor. The combination of the 2.0-liter gas engine and the electrical motors offers responsive power but with an underlying hum at greater acceleration levels.
In electric-only mode, the Ford C-Max Energi is a lot of fun to drive.
Pros and Cons of the 2017 Ford C-Max Energi
- Elevated driving position
- Enhanced handling and ride dynamics
- Quicker than some other hybrids
- Good fuel economy
- Attractive and spacious interior
- Costs more than the regular C-Max hybrid
- Firmer ride than peers
- Less useful cargo space than anticipated
The History of Ford C-Max Energi
In 2013, a plug-in version of Ford's European-sourced multipurpose vehicle was unveiled. The 2013 Ford C-Max and Ford C-Max Energi were marketed as the urban utility vehicle you needed for lower fuel consumption.
Different from the Ford C-Max, Ford's C-Max Energi is equipped with a bigger lithium-ion battery for boosting electric power capacity. The electrical propulsion of the vehicle, which is outfitted with 7.6-kWh lithium-ion battery, comes from an 88-kilowatt permanent magnet AC motor. Using just electricity, the Energi can actually coast as many as 19 miles.
Because of the capacity of the battery pack, the Energi potentially qualified for federal tax credits along with any applicable local and state incentives.
The plug-in is powered by a combination of three sources. It uses a 2.0-liter Atkinson I-4 engine with an output of 141 horsepower and 129 pounds-feet of torque, a 118-horsepower electric motor, and an eCVT transmission. The Energi has a total system output of 188 horsepower.
The C-Max Energi uses a 7.6-kWh battery instead of the 1.4-kWh battery of the regular Ford C-Max. Able to travel up to 82 miles per hour on electric power alone, the Energi exceeds the 62 mph maximum of the standard C-Max hybrid model.
The regular Ford C-Max was initially rated at 47/47 mpg with 47 combined but was re-rated when it didn't achieve that rating in third-party trials. Its EPA rating was 41/36 mpg with a 526-mile range.
2016's Energi had an EPA rating at 88 miles per gallon gasoline equivalent. When fully charged, it had a 20-mile electric range with a total system range rated at 550 miles. On gasoline alone, the Ford C-Max Energi got 38/38 mpg city/highway with 38 mpg combined.
Specs & Key Features of the 2017 Ford C-Max Energi
- Body Style
- 2.0L iVCT Atkinson-Cycle I-4 Hybrid
- 188 hp
- Electronically Controlled (eCVT)
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L iVCT Atkinson-Cycle I-4 Hybrid
- Transmission: Electronically Controlled (eCVT) -inc: Continuously variable
- 50-State Emissions System -inc: Standard equipment on all C-Max Energi trim levels
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 2.57 Axle Ratio
- 390CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Hybrid Electric Motor
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 14 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Regenerative 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Electric Parking Brake
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Lithium Ion Traction Battery w/3.3 kW Onboard Charger, 7 Hrs Charge Time @ 110/120V and 2.5 Hrs Charge Time @ 220/240V
- Wheels: 17" Bright Silver Finish Aluminum
- Tires: P225/50R17
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Convex Spotter, Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper, Heated Wiper Park and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: AM/FM/CD/MP3 Audio -inc: 6 speakers, speed sensitive volume, MyFord mobile and SiriusXM satellite radio w/6-month prepaid subscription (service not available in Alaska or Hawaii), Subscriptions to all SiriusXM services are sold by SiriusXM after trial period, If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates, Fees and taxes apply, To cancel you must call SiriusXM at 1-866-635-2349, See SiriusXM Customer Agreement for complete terms at www.siriusxm.com, All fees and programming subject to change, SIRIUS, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of SiriusXM Radio Inc
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- SYNC Communications & Entertainment System -inc: enhanced voice recognition, 911 Assist, 4.2" LCD screen in center stack, AppLink and 1 smart-charging USB port
- Streaming Audio
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- 3 LCD Monitors In The Front
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Cloth Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Traction Battery Level, Power/Regen, Traction Battery Temperature, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Cloth Front Bucket Seats -inc: 10-way power driver seat (fore/aft, up/down, tilt, recline, 2-way power lumbar), 4-way adjustable passenger seat and 2 4-way adjustable head restraints
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage, 2 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Roll-Up Cargo Cover
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Interior Concealed Storage, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins, 2nd Row Underseat Storage and Audio Media Storage
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Securilock Anti-Theft Ignition (pats) Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Advancetrac w/Roll Stability Control Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Mykey System -inc: Top Speed Limiter, Audio Volume Limiter, Early Low Fuel Warning, Programmable Sound Chimes and Beltminder w/Audio Mute
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera