Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Affordable price point
- Peppy, 1.4-liter turbocharged engine
- Abarth performance trim available
- Manual or automatic transmission
- Available convertible
2019 Fiat 500: Everything You Need to Know
About the Fiat 500:
The 2019 Fiat 500 is a subcompact two-door hatchback coupe that is also available as a convertible with a retractable canvas roof. The 500 comes with a turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine. Fiat offers a five-speed manual or an available six-speed automatic transmission. All Fiat 500 models are front-wheel-drive.
In addition to the standard model, the Fiat 500 is available as an electric vehicle called the 500e. This version travels about 84 miles on a charge, making it an attractive city car for commutes or around-town driving. There is also an Abarth performance edition with a more powerful engine, upgraded brakes, and sport suspension.
The Fiat 500 is a popular choice with first-time car buyers and urban dwellers. The 500 is also a good option for someone looking for a fun and affordable second car.
What’s New in the 2019 Fiat 500?
After a number of updates last year, the 2019 Fiat 500 remains substantially unchanged. One addition that could interest some buyers is the return of the 1957 Edition. This version, which last appeared in 2016, features a number of exterior and interior retro styling cues.
The 2019 Fiat 500 includes the following:
- Standard 1.4-liter turbo engine rated at 135 horsepower and 150 pound-feet of torque
- 16-inch aluminum wheels
- Performance braking system
- Performance suspension
- Parkview backup camera system
- Fog lamps
What Does the Fiat 500 Compete With?
The Fiat 500 competes in the economy subcompact class. Other cars in this class include:
- Chevrolet Sonic
- Ford Fiesta
- Honda Fit
- Hyundai Accent
- Kia Rio
- Mini Cooper
- Mitsubishi Mirage
- Nissan Versa
- Toyota Yaris
Subcompact buyers tend to be first-time new car buyers, college students, or those just starting their careers. Small cars are also popular with those who live in urban areas, because they offer easy parking and are nimble in traffic.
Exterior Design of the Fiat 500
The 2019 Fiat 500 is a modern redesign of the classic Fiat 500 sold in Italy for decades. As such, the styling is different from most other subcompacts – it’s uniquely Italian. The Fiat 500 features a short hood, a small cabin, and a sloping rear hatch with a spoiler at its top. The front grille is located low under the bumper to resemble the original design.
The Fiat 500 is available in 11 different colors. Paint options include bright red, orange, green, and blue tones befitting a fun European subcompact. The 1957 Edition is offered in three retro colors.
All 2019 Fiat 500 trims are available as a convertible with a retractable canvas roof. The top pulls back with the push of a button and may be opened at any speed up to 60 mph. The convertible roof has four set points that function as an air vent or sunroof, as well as fully open and closed. A power sunroof is available on the coupe models.
The Fiat 500 look may not appeal to everyone, but it’s certain that there’s no other car like it on the market.
Interior Style in the Fiat 500
Fiat gives the 500 a basic interior that makes good use of the available space. The driver information cluster is an innovative single-gauge display. The climate controls are simple and easy to use. Most technology features can be controlled through buttons mounted on the steering wheel.
The base Pop trim level features cool and comfortable cloth upholstery. Moving up to the luxury Lounge or vintage 1957 edition trims upgrades the interior to leather. The high performance Abarth trim features premium cloth or leather upholstery on a supportive sport seat.
The Fiat 500 will seat four adults, but the back seat is quite small. The rear seats fold down to produce more cargo space than you might expect. It’s possible to fit large items through the hatch because the 500 offers excellent headroom. Two people could go car camping in a 500 with ease.
The Fiat 500’s interior is very effective in its design. It’s functional and innovative at the same time. The materials and features are a great value considering the price point. Overall, the Fiat 500’s interior is better than most competing models.
What Technology Comes in the Fiat 500?
Every 2019 Fiat 500 comes with the Uconnect 3 infotainment system, which is operated using a 5.0-inch touchscreen. The Uconnect 3 system includes such features as:
- USB port
- Voice command controls
- Bluetooth hands-free phone support
- Mobile device streaming
Fiat also offers an optional navigation and satellite radio package. Another option is the Beats premium audio system, which includes a 368-watt amplifier and seven speakers. Beats is worth considering, because it sounds great.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the Fiat 500?
The 2019 Fiat 500 does not offer many of the latest advanced safety and driver-assistance features. However, it does come with all the standard safety items common to modern cars. This includes:
- A full set of airbags
- Antilock brakes
- Tire-pressure monitoring
- Electronic stability control
- Backup camera
The Fiat 500 also offers an automatic park-assistance feature. This system uses sensors to warn the driver of nearby objects when reversing. This system works in conjunction with the backup camera.
The Fiat 500 is rated at four out of five stars from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) rates the 500 as good in all crash tests except small overlap frontal impacts on the driver’s side.
What is the Fiat 500 Like to Drive?
Driving the 2019 Fiat 500 is fun. The car is nimble and turns easily due to its short wheelbase. The basic 1.4-liter turbocharged engine is peppy, but the more powerful Abarth engine is better. With 160 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque, this engine makes the 500 very quick.
Performance enthusiasts will likely choose the manual transmission, but the automatic is just as good. The automatic shifts quickly and makes excellent use of available power.
The all-electric 500e offers a great driving experience. As a city car, it’s hard to beat for the price. However, the Abarth trim is the Fiat 500 to have if you want performance. The basic 500 is good, but the Abarth is great. The Abarth’s suspension, steering and brakes are all very responsive.
Should I Buy a 2019 Fiat 500?
The 2019 Fiat 500 may be the most underappreciated car on the market. This little Italian subcompact returns up to 33 mpg on the highway, and 28 mpg in the city. At the same time, it’s well designed, quick, and fun to drive.
If you’re shopping for an economy subcompact, the Fiat 500 deserves a test drive. For the money, you’ll get style, economy, and a great set of features. Finally, Fiat covers its cars with a four-year or 50,000-mile warranty.
Should I buy a Used Fiat 500? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The Fiat 500 has been getting better every year. You can save a lot of money on a pre-owned 500, but buy the newest one you can afford to get the latest features.
One of the most affordable used models is the all-electric Fiat 500e. Because of its limited range, pre-owned 500e models sell at a discount. Most people don’t drive more than 20 to 30 miles a day. If that matches your driving habits, a pre-owned 500e could save you a lot of money on fuel.
How Much Does the New Fiat 500 Cost?
The 2019 Fiat 500 starts at $16,245 for the basic Pop trim. The luxury Lounge trim and the 1957 Retro Edition trims are both priced from $19,745. The high performance Abarth trim begins at $20,495.
The Fiat 500e starts at $32,995. But this electric model qualifies for Federal and state tax credits, where available.
In all trims, opting for the convertible top adds $1,495 to the price, and the automatic transmission costs $995. A $1,495 shipping and destination charge applies to all Fiat 500 models.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 FIAT 500
- Fun to drive
- Useful hatchback
- Peppy turbocharged engines
- Great handling
- Italian style
- No advanced safety features
- Poor performance on some crash tests
- Small infotainment screen
The History of Fiat 500: The Essential Italian Car
The Fiat 500, or Cinquecento as they say in Italy, was the car that put ordinary Italians behind the wheel. First launched in 1957 with a two-cylinder air-cooled engine, the Fiat 500 was affordable and manageable on Italy’s small streets. This car was made until 1975.
The new Fiat 500 debuted in 2007 as a peppy economy hatchback. Like many modern retro cars, the new 500 looks like a larger version of the original, but it includes an advanced four-cylinder engine and front-wheel drive.
The new 500 has been available as a coupe or convertible. Turbocharged and high-performance Abarth versions have also been sold through Fiat dealerships. The all-electric Fiat 500e was released in 2013 and has become popular as a city car.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 FIAT 500
- Body Style
- 1.4L I4 MultiAir Turbo
- 135 hp
- 5-Speed C510 Manual
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 1.4L I4 MultiAir Turbo
- Transmission: 5-Speed C510 Manual
- 50 State Emissions
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 3.35 Axle Ratio
- 500CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 120 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front Anti-Roll Bar
- Sport Tuned Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 10.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Torsion Beam Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 16" x 6.5" Aluminum
- Tires: 195/45R16XL
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Convex Spotter and Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Fixed Interval Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Grille w/Chrome Bar
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Auto Off Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- Radio: Uconnect 3 w/5" Display
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Radio Data System and External Memory Control
- 6 Alpine Speakers
- 276w Regular Amplifier
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- 6-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment, Fore/Aft Movement and Manual Rear Seat Easy Entry
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Fore/Aft Movement and Manual Rear Seat Easy Entry
- 50-50 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Cloth Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Fixed Rear Windows
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter and Illuminated Entry
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Premium Cloth Bucket Seats
- Interior Trim -inc: Body-Colored Instrument Panel Insert and Chrome Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors
- Partial Floor Console w/Storage and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Rigid Cargo Cover
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Driver And Passenger Door Bins and 1st Row Underseat Storage
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Driver And Front Passenger Armrests
- 1 Seatback Storage Pocket
- Engine Immobilizer
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Pretensioners
- ParkView Back-Up Camera