Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Fun, classic open-air driving
- Fiat-exclusive engine and suspension
- Iconic styling and handling
- Available manual transmission
2019 Fiat 124 Spider: Everything You Need to Know
About the Fiat 124 Spider:
The Fiat 124 Spider is a snug, two-seat, front-engine, rear-drive roadster. It’s based on (and shares production with) the iconic Mazda MX-5 Miata. The Spider packs a Fiat-exclusive turbocharged engine and suspension. The interior is more luxurious than the Miata but with the same minimal storage.
The Fiat 124 Spider comes in three trims: Classica, Lusso, and the performance-oriented Abarth. There’s an Urbana special edition based on the Classica trim.
What’s New in the 2019 Fiat 124 Spider?
The Fiat 124 Spider received several updates for the 2019 model year. These include a rear backup camera and a standard 7-inch touchscreen. The Technology Group now includes Sirius XM radio and upgraded remote entry. There are several new appearance packages. These include a new Ceramic Gray exterior paint and custom center-striped design, optional on Classica models. The Urbana special edition is new for 2019. Based on the Classica, the Urbana has 17-inch wheels standard. The exterior offers dual bright exhaust tips and piano black shiny exterior accents. There’s a gloss black finish on the front pillar, seat back pillar, and mirror caps. The Urbana is a $995 option. The Veleno Appearance Group is new for 2019. It features Abarth-branded floor mats and badging. Red lower fascia lip, tow hook, and mirror caps complete the look.
What Does the 2019 Fiat 124 Spider Compete With?
The 2019 Fiat 124 Spider’s top competitors include:
Exterior Design of the 2019 Fiat 124 Spider
The Fiat 124 Spider offers a classic roadster experience. The 124 Spider is designed in Turin, Italy and reflects its European flair. With its low-slung proportions and timeless style, the 124 Spider is quite the looker.
The 124 features beautiful and muscular lines. The doors are high and thick, with a wide, long hood and rounded backend. On the base Classica, standard 16-inch alloy wheels are paired with dual-tip exhaust, and a black roll-bar. Halogen headlamps and LED tail lamps complete the look of the Classica.
On the Spider’s Lusso trim, wheels are upgraded to 17-inch alloy. The A-pillar header and roll-bar cover are painted silver. The dual-tip exhausts get a chrome upgrade.
The 124 Spider Abarth targets performance enthusiasts. The chrome quad-tip exhaust is tuned specifically for Abarth. Wheels are 17-inch gray aluminum, with matching exterior accents. A hand-painted hood stripe is available for additional customization.
The 124 Spider is available in nine exterior colors. These range from a classic brilliant white to the all-new trendy Ceramica gray metallic.
Interior Style in the 2019 Fiat 124 Spider
The interior of the Fiat 124 Spider is simple and refined with a focus on the driver. Fiat cleverly provides an acoustic windshield and significant insulation, minimizing noise and vibration. This makes for an upgraded occupant experience. A Bose sound system provides excellent audio.
There are three trim levels for the 124 Spider. The base Classica comes with black premium cloth with a soft-touch instrument panel.
The Lusso provides heated premium leather seats in either Black or Saddle. The cluster edge and lower instrument panel get leatherette. Piano black shiny accents decorate the cabin.
The Spider Abarth is a significant cut above. The Abarth is designed for the performance driver and the interior doesn’t disappoint. The Abarth offers Recaro seats and a sport-mode selector.
There are three interior colors available. Black is offered in premium cloth, leather, or Recaro Alcantara. Additional leather options include Saddle or Black/Red.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Fiat 124 Spider?
The Fiat 124 Spider has a moderate level of technology. The 2019 version comes standard with keyless entry and Bluetooth but does not offer Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. The FIAT Connect system streams through a 7-inch touchscreen display.
The 124 Spider is not as jam-packed with technology as other vehicles in the market today but is competitive within its class. The roadster is about putting down the phone and connecting with the road old-school style.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Fiat 124 Spider?
The 124 Spider roadster offers a host of safety and security features. These include full LED adaptive front headlamps and blind-spot monitoring. Rear cross path detection and a rear backup camera are standard.
The Lusso and Abarth trims offer a “Visibility” package. This includes LED daytime running lamps, LED headlamps, automatic headlamp leveling, and washers.
The 124 Spider has not been tested for crash worthiness by independent safety institutions. The steel frame includes crumple zones. These help absorb energy in a crash, redirecting impact away from passengers. There are four airbags in the roadster.
What is the 2019 Fiat 124 Spider Like to Drive?
Filled with fun, the roadster provides the type of open-air driving long celebrated on the best roads in the world. With its classic styling, modern safety features, and attention to detail, the 124 turns heads and hearts wherever it goes.
The Fiat 124 Spider is powered by a 1.4-liter turbo four-cylinder engine. This produces 160 horsepower on the Classica and Lusso. The Abarth tops out at 164 horsepower. In true roadster fashion, the Spider offers a six-speed manual or automatic transmission.
The 124 Spider uses a double-wishbone suspension in the front. The rear is multi-link. This layout is immediately obvious in the precise steering and braking of the roadster. Noise, vibration, and harshness are minimalized by insulation and an acoustic windscreen. This means conversation between passengers is easy, and the Bose sound system is highly rewarding.
The manual transmission offers even more enjoyment, with tight, quick shifts and an engaging, short clutch. The seats are comfortable for long cruising days, but the storage is minimal in the cabin. It’s only slightly better in the boot, with just enough room for a weekend’s worth of luggage. The car can feel cramped and nearly claustrophobic with the top up.
Should I Buy a 2019 Fiat 124 Spider?
The Fiat 124 Spider offers open-air driving in comfort and convenience. It may not work as the only car in the household given its lack of utility. But it sure is fun for running about and occasional use. If your lifestyle and budget fits, the 124 Spider should be on your consideration list.
Should I Buy a Used Fiat 124 Spider? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The 124 Spider is based on the Mazda MX-5 Miata. Reliability has not been an issue for the Fiat 124 Spider. The roadster debuted in 2016 so there are opportunities to purchase nearly new models. Look for off-lease deals especially.
How Much Does the 2019 Fiat 124 Spider Cost? The base Classica with rear-wheel drive starts at $25,440. The Urbana trim bumps to $26,435. The Lusso starts at $28,045, and the Abarth goes for $29,540.
The Abarth provides the most authentic, fun driving experience and is well worth the price. Keep in mind the Urbana is a special edition, available for a limited time only. If budget is an issue, then Classico will still deliver plenty of happiness.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 FIAT 124 Spider
- Open air fun and sporty driving experience
- Classic roadster design
- Comfortable ride, especially for a roadster
- Driver-focused steering and handling
- Minimal interior storage
- Limited technological offerings
- Interior is snug, even for a roadster
The History of the Fiat 124 Spider: Four Years of the Fiat 124 Spider
The current Fiat 124 Spider debuted in 2015 at the L.A. Auto Show. It officially went on sale in 2016. The 124 Spider is the Italian sibling of the fourth-generation Mazda MX-5 Miata. The 124 is distinguished by an FCA-manufactured, turbocharged four-cylinder engine and custom suspension. The Spider was designed in Italy with production in Hiroshima, Japan.
The exterior styling and nameplate of the 124 draws inspiration from the 1966-‘85 Pininfarina-designed Fiat 124 Sport Spider.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 FIAT 124 Spider
- Body Style
- 1.4L I4 MultiAir Turbo
- 160 hp
- 6-Speed Manual
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 1.4L I4 MultiAir Turbo
- Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
- 50 State Emissions
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 3.45 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 450CCA Maintenance-Free Battery
- 150 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Touring Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 11.9 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 16" x 6.5" Silver Aluminum
- Tires: 195/50VR16 3 Season Performance
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Black Side Windows Trim, Body-Colored Front Windshield Trim and Black Rear Window Trim
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Manual Convertible Top w/Lining, Glass Rear Window and Fixed Wind Blocker
- Black Grille
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- LED Brakelights
- Auto Off Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: AM/FM Bluetooth w/7" Display
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation and External Memory Control
- 6 Speakers
- Streaming Audio
- Fixed Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- 6-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment and Fore/Aft Movement
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- Manual Tilt Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Mechanical Cargo Access
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- Driver Foot Rest
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Premium Cloth Seats
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors
- Full Floor Console w/Locking Storage and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Windows
- Instrument Panel Bin and Interior Concealed Storage
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Down
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Fixed Front Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- 1 Seatback Storage Pocket
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Engine Immobilizer
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Side Airbag Head Extension
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera