Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Affordable mid-size crossover starting at $23,645
- Standard seating for seven passengers
- Choice of four-cylinder or V6 engine
- Standard automatic transmission
- Available all-wheel-drive
- Available Uconnect 8.4-inch infotainment system
2019 Dodge Journey: Everything You Need to Know
About the 2019 Dodge Journey:
The 2019 Dodge Journey is a mid-size crossover SUV with seating for seven passengers in three rows. With prices starting at $23,645, Journey is among the most affordable mid-size SUVs on the market.
Dodge provides a choice between a four-cylinder or V6 engine for Journey, and a simple set of three trim options: SE, Crossroad, and GT. The V6 engine is optional on SE and Crossroad trims, and standard on the top GT trim. All Journey trims come with an automatic transmission. All-wheel-drive is optional on all trims, but only with the V6 engine.
The best reason to consider a 2019 Dodge Journey is its value for the money. The Journey has not been redesigned since 2011, so many of the latest tech features are not available. However, the Journey has remained remarkably affordable. If budget is a primary consideration, the Dodge Journey is an excellent choice.
What’s New in the 2019 Dodge Journey?
New features on the 2019 Dodge Journey include:
- Three trim levels, including Journey SE, Journey Crossroad and Journey GT.
- Base price reduced by $2,200
- Updated with new front and rear bodywork, fog lamps, three-zone temperature control, heated side mirrors, and LED taillights.
- Pentastar 3.6-liter V-6 optional on all trims with 283 horsepower and six-speed automatic transmission. (EPA fuel economy 17 MPG City, 25 MPG Highway).
- Standard 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine produces 173 horsepower, with four-speed automatic transmission. (EPA fuel economy 19 MPG City, 25 MPG Highway).
- Available all-wheel-drive with V6 engine. (EPA fuel economy 16 MPG City, 24 MPG Highway).
What Does the 2019 Dodge Journey Compete With?
The economy mid-size SUV market is among the most popular in America, and many automakers provide a vehicle in this segment. Top contenders include:
- Chevrolet Traverse
- Ford Edge
- Honda Pilot
- Hyundai Santa Fe XL
- Kia Sorento
- Mazda CX-9
- Nissan Pathfinder
- Subaru Ascent
- Toyota Highlander
- Volkswagen Atlas
Buyers in this segment are seeking reliable family transportation, and perhaps the capability to pull a trailer. Low price is an important feature as well, and buyers are often willing to trade off the latest features for a lower payment.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Dodge Journey
Because it has not had a redesign since 2011, the Journey still maintains the older look of Dodge vehicles with the trademark cross grille. While the appearance may seem dated, the Journey is a good-looking vehicle. Mid-size SUVs do not generally stand out from the crowd, and Journey fits into the group.
The 2019 Journey is available in ten exterior colors including bold red, orange, blue and olive green tones. Basic colors include black, white, gray, and silver.
Standard exterior features include daytime running lights, heated and powered side mirrors, roof rails, and 17-inch wheels. Nineteen inch wheels are available on higher trims and LED taillights are standard on V6 models.
Interior Style in the 2019 Dodge Journey
Journey offers an interior that is surprisingly modern and pleasantly functional. Dodge has some of the most comfortable seats in the economy class. It’s worth the money to upgrade to the power-adjustable leather seats with four-way lumbar support in the Crossroad or GT trims. GT trim includes heated leather front seats.
Family-friendly features in the Journey include:
- Built-in child booster seats in the second row
- Sliding second row seats for third-row access
- In-floor storage in the cargo area
- Third-row fold-flat for cargo convenience
- In-floor cooler with water drain in the cargo area
- Optional heated front seats and steering wheel
Journey provides a lot of space for your stuff. There’s about 10 cubic feet behind the third row, or enough space for several bags of groceries. With the third row down, you can carry a major shopping trip with 37 cubic feet. Or fold down all the rear seats for a trip to the home supply store with 67.6 cubic feet available.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Dodge Journey?
The basic Journey SE comes with a basic 4.3-inch touchscreen radio with a USB port and Bluetooth for hands-free phone services. A CD player and Sirius/XM satellite radio may be added as options.
Journey Crossroad and GT come with an 8.4-inch Uconnect touchscreen infotainment system. This system supports voice commands and includes an SD card port as well as USB. Buyers can add onboard Navigation and satellite radio capability as options.
Dodge provides an optional 9-inch second-row entertainment system with an overhead screen, which is great for kids.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Dodge Journey?
Because Journey was last redesigned in 2011, some of the latest safety and convenience features are not available. In addition to required set of features for all vehicles, the following safety items are standard on all Journey trims:
- Rear backup camera
- Brake assistance and brake force distribution
- Electronic rollover mitigation
- Keyless entry and starting
If you upgrade to Crossroad or GT trim, Journey adds remote start capability. Dodge’s ParkSense backup radar proximity warning system is optional on Crossroad and GT trims.
The 2019 Journey earned the four out of five stars from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) rates the Journey as Good in most crash tests. However, Journey earned a Poor rating in the newest small-overlap driver side test.
What is the 2019 Dodge Journey Like to Drive?
The driving experience in the Journey is very different depending on your engine choice. The four-cylinder engine is substantially less powerful than competing SUVs. In contrast, the Pentastar V6 offers good power. Most buyers will find it is worth spending the money to get both the V6 horsepower and the more modern six-speed automatic transmission.
The Journey also suffers from an older suspension design. Buyers will want to upgrade to AWD to get the performance suspension. The GT trim comes with an even firmer high performance suspension package. The Blacktop optional trim package includes a Touring suspension on front-wheel-drive Journeys. If all-wheel-drive is not in the budget, the Blacktop package may be the perfect compromise.
Should I Buy a Current Dodge Journey?
The reason to buy a new Journey is its price. If you need to carry seven passengers and you’re on a budget, the low starting price of the Journey SE offers good value. Dodge covers the Journey with a 3-year or 36,000-mile basic warranty, plus a 5-year or 60,000-mile warranty on the powertrain. Additionally, there’s a 5-year, 100,000-mile roadside assistance program that is included with every Journey.
If you like the Journey, you can get the most out of your purchase by selecting the V6 engine and all-wheel-drive. The all-wheel-drive system in the Journey is automatic. Journey engages the rear wheels only when needed for traction, or on curving roads to improve handling. If you upgrade to the top GT trim, you’ll get the V6 as well as a better suspension. You will also get a much nice interior and the 8.4-inch Uconnect infotainment system.
Should I buy a Used Dodge Journey? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
Journey has not changed very much since 2011, so any pre-owned Journey made in the last five years would be a good candidate. Buyers may see substantial savings by purchasing a certified pre-owned Journey.
How Much Does the New 2019 Dodge Journey Cost?
The base Journey SE retails for $23,645 with a net price of $24,410 after destination fees. Choosing the V6 and all-wheel-drive raises that price to $28,045.
The 2019 Journey Crossroad trim starts at $28,095 with the four-cylinder engine and rises to $31,595 with the V6 and all-wheel-drive. The Journey GT starts at $33,395 with the V6 and front-wheel-drive, and rises to $35,295 with all-wheel-drive.
However, Dodge offers many factory incentives that can reduce the final price of a Journey by thousands of dollars. Be sure to ask your dealer what incentives apply to the vehicle you’re considering.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Dodge Journey
- Most affordable mid-size crossover
- Available Pentastar 3.6-liter V6 engine
- Available all-wheel-drive
- Best-in-class 8.4-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Lackluster performance from base engine
- Few advanced safety and convenience features
- Aging design may appear dated
- Limited features compared to competing models
The History of the Dodge Journey: The Invisible SUV
Dodge first created the Journey for the 2009 model year. The mid-size crossover has been a consistent sales success, yet it never seems to get the attention it deserves. In its first phase, the Journey sold about 50,000 units per year through 2011. After receiving a mid-cycle refresh for 2012, the Journey became more popular. In recent years, sales have approached 100,000 units. That’s surprising for a vehicle that hasn’t been refreshed in 8 years. The reason that Dodge has sold over 1.5 million Journeys in the last decade is its value. Journey has always been one of the most affordable mid-size SUVs on the market.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Dodge Journey
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V Dual VVT
- 173 hp
- 4-Speed Automatic VLP
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V Dual VVT
- Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic VLP
- 4.28 Axle Ratio
- Normal Duty Suspension
- GVWR: 5,250 lbs
- 50 State Emissions
- Transmission w/AUTOSTICK Sequential Shift Control and Oil Cooler
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 525CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 160 Amp Alternator
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Hydraulic Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 20.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs and Brake Assist
- Wheels: 17" x 6.5" Steel
- Tires: P225/65R17 BSW A/S Touring
- 17" Wheel Covers
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Black Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum/Composite Panels
- Chrome Grille
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Radio: 4.3
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, In-Dash Mounted Single CD, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls and External Memory Control
- 6 Speakers
- Graphic Equalizer
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- 6-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment and Fore/Aft Movement
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- 40-60 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Tilt ft.n Slide Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Oil Pressure, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Temperature, Transmission Fluid Temp, Engine Hour Meter, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Fixed 50-50 Bench 3rd Row Seat Front, Manual Recline, Manual Fold Into Floor and 2 Fixed Head Restraints
- Illuminated Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Manual Air Conditioning
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Vinyl Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Premium Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver Visor Vanity Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Instrument Panel Bin, Interior Concealed Storage, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins and 2nd Row Underseat Storage
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Manual Anti-Whiplash w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Sliding Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- 1 Seatback Storage Pocket
- Sentry Key Engine Immobilizer
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st, 2nd And 3rd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- ParkView Back-Up Camera