Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- The most affordable minivan
- Versatile cargo and seating options
- Good power
- Enormous interior
Dodge Grand Caravan: Everything You Need to Know
About the Dodge Grand Caravan:
The 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan is the latest version of the original American minivan. It has been shuttling families and their gear since the mid-1980s. Along the way, the Grand Caravan created an entirely new market for minivans in the United States. It also became an icon.
The 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan is affordable, practical, and enormous inside, making it a good buy.
What’s New in the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan?
The 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan is almost unchanged for the current model year. An auto-dimming rearview mirror has been added to the list of standard features.
All versions of the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan come with a 3.6-liter V6 powerplant. This engine is rated at a healthy 283 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque. Front-wheel drive and a six-speed automatic transmission are standard.
Fuel economy for the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan is rated at 17 mpg city and 25 mpg highway.
What Does the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan Compete With?
The 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan competes with the following vehicles:
The most popular version of the Dodge Grand Caravan is the SE Plus trim. This model includes Stow 'n Go fold-flat seats, alloy wheels, and Bluetooth connectivity. It also offers a remote starter and improved interior trim. All of this is an upgrade over the barebones base model.
The 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan is best suited for families on a tight budget who need three rows of seating and huge interior space.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan
The 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan offers basic minivan styling that hasn't changed in more than a decade. Whether that's good or bad depends on your perspective. Minivans have never been about style. Function has almost always triumphed over form. There's nothing particularly striking about the Grand Caravan. It doesn't stray very far from the box-like template that defines the segment.
The 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan starts out with 17-inch steel wheels. These are swapped for 17-inch alloy wheels on the SE Plus trim, which also gains black exterior trim. The SXT includes cargo-oriented helpers, like roof rails and power sliding doors on each side. It also gets chrome trim. If you don't like chrome, the Blacktop package goes back to black trim and also deletes the roof rack.
Interior Style in the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan
A single word can be used to describe the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan's cabin: functional. After more than 10 years since its last redesign, one can't expect much in terms of modern look and feel.
Base versions of the Dodge minivan use simple, hard-wearing materials throughout. There is an abundance of stiff plastic inside the vehicle. The SXT trim provides leather upholstery but not much else to improve the interior. That being said, the control set for the Dodge Grand Caravan is simple and easy to use.
Where the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan shines is in its versatility. The optional Stow 'n Go seats fold completely into the floor, providing a huge, flat surface for hauling gear. The Grand Caravan's 140 cubic feet of cargo space dwarfs even the largest SUVs. There's really no better choice for carrying oversized items than a minivan. Power sliding side doors also make it easier to access the cabin with your arms full. And there's respectable storage space for smaller items at the front of the vehicle.
Passenger room is quite good. Power seat adjustments are available for the front occupants. Those riding in the second and third rows will be able to handle longer trips without much issue. Child-seat LATCH attachments are standard. You can only fit seven people inside the Dodge Grand Caravan, however, while some of its rivals can handle up to eight passengers. Despite the van's age it's actually fairly quiet in daily driving.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan?
Given its age, the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan is fairly basic in terms of technology. Even its version of the Uconnect infotainment system is older than the one found in any other Dodge model. Bluetooth isn't standard, which is rare for a three-row vehicle.
The 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan comes standard with:
- 6.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Six-speaker audio system
- CD player
- Rearview camera
The 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan can be had with the following tech and convenience options:
- Three zones of automatic climate control
- Navigation system
- Satellite radio
- Rear-seat DVD player
- Bluetooth connectivity
Even the highest-trim Dodge Grand Caravan SXT lags behind every other minivan in terms of technology equipment. Most of its competitors have been recently redesigned, which gives them a huge advantage when it comes to tech features.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan?
The 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan does not offer a single advanced safety system. Beyond the basic airbags, traction control, and stability control, this minivan lags well behind competitors in the area of safety.
This is not to say that the Grand Caravan is in any way dangerous. It received four out of five stars in overall crash safety from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA). It also got four Good crash-test ratings out of a possible five from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Still, the Grand Caravan’s total lack of modern safety assistance will likely drive many buyers to the competition. This is a minivan that is frozen in time from the previous decade. And its safety equipment reflects that.
What is the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan Like to drive?
Aging bones aside, the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan is perfectly adequate in most driving situations. In particular, its powerful V6 engine keeps things lively. This is true even when hauling around a full load of passengers and cargo. It's not as quick as some of its rivals, but few van drivers are off to the races. You are unlikely to be disappointed with the Grand Caravan's straight-line speed.
Likewise, the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan handles like most other large and bulky vehicles. Big side windows provide good visibility when driving on crowded city streets. Parking is also simpler than in a three-row crossover or SUV. Handling is on par with most other minivans. That is to say that it feels stable and comfortable but not particularly nimble when pushed hard. Again, not a problem, as vans are meant to be practical and useful, rather than fun.
Will you miss out on some refinement in the Dodge Grand Caravan? Yes, as compared to some of its competition. Even so, there's nothing about the vehicle's overall driving experience to recommend against it.
Should I Buy a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan?
The 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan is much cheaper than most of its minivan rivals. This is the primary reason why anyone should consider it. If you are comfortable with basic three-row transportation and good -- but not great -- features, it makes a lot of sense. If you need active safety and the latest modern conveniences, look elsewhere.
Should I buy a Used Dodge Grand Caravan?
The Dodge Grand Caravan has been offering nearly the same package for the last 10 years. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend a used model from this current fifth generation, which went on sale in 2008. Keep in mind, though, that some quality or maintenance issues on older models may crop up.
How Much Does the New YMM Cost?
The 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan starts at $28,285. The top SXT model begins at $33,785. Both of these prices include a $1,495 destination charge.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan
- Inexpensive pricing
- Big interior room for passengers and cargo
- Strong V6
- Comfortable ride
- Dated cabin
- Lack of advanced safety equipment
- Very few technology features
- No standard Bluetooth
The History of the Dodge Grand Caravan: 34 years of the Grand Caravan
The Dodge Grand Caravan can trace its roots back to the original Chrysler minivans that went on sale in 1984. Lauded for their practicality and manageable size, these models virtually created a whole new market segment.
Initially, the Grand Caravan was a long-wheelbase model, sold alongside the base Caravan. But beginning with the current fifth generation in 2008, Chrysler discontinued the shorter version. Since then, the automaker has sold only the roomier minivan.
At this point in its history, the Grand Caravan has been leapfrogged by the Chrysler Pacifica. This newer minivan shares little of Grand Caravan’s mechanical or technological details. Still, the fact that the Grand Caravan has been in production for more than three decades is testament to its popularity with consumers.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan
- Body Style
- Passenger Van
- 3.6L V6 24V VVT (FFV)
- 283 hp
- 6-Speed Automatic 62TE
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.6L V6 24V VVT (FFV)
- Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 62TE
- 3.16 Axle Ratio
- Touring Suspension
- GVWR: 6,050 lbs
- 50 State Emissions
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode, AUTOSTICK Sequential Shift Control and Oil Cooler
- Front-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 730CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 160 Amp Alternator
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front Anti-Roll Bar
- Hydraulic Power-Assist Steering
- 20 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Torsion Beam Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 17" x 6.5" Steel
- Tires: 225/65R17 BSW Touring
- 17" Wheel Covers
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Bodyside Moldings
- Black Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper, Heated Wiper Park and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Chrome Grille
- Sliding Rear Doors
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Aero-Composite Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: 430
- AM/FM Stereo w/Seek-Scan, In-Dash Mounted Single CD, MP3 Player and Clock
- Fixed Antenna
- 6 Speakers
- Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls
- Audio Jack Input for Mobile Devices
- 40GB Hard Drive w/28GB Available
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- 2nd Row Bench w/Rear Stow 'N Go 60/40
- 4-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- Full Folding Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Cloth Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Transmission Fluid Temp, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Power Vented 3rd Row Windows
- Fixed Split-Bench Cloth 3rd Row Seat Front, Manual Recline and 3 Fixed Head Restraints
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Rear Air Conditioning w/Heater
- Dual Zone Front Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Headliner/Pillar Ducts
- Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Vinyl Door Trim Insert
- Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
- Interior Trim -inc: Simulated Wood Instrument Panel Insert, Simulated Wood Door Panel Insert and Chrome Interior Accents
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors
- Mini Overhead Console w/Storage, Conversation Mirror and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Front Map Lights
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- 6.5" Touchscreen Display
- ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera
- Instrument Panel Bin, Covered Dashboard Storage, Interior Concealed Storage, Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Down
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Manual Anti-Whiplash w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Driver And Front Passenger Armrests
- Sentry Key Engine Immobilizer
- Air Filtration
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st, 2nd And 3rd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Height Adjusters and Pretensioners