Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Muscle-car performance
- Plenty of interior room
- Large selection of features and options
- Good towing capacity
Dodge Durango: Everything You Need to Know
About the Dodge Durango:
The Dodge Durango is a five-passenger midsize crossover SUV. But different trim levels include a third-row seat, so they can carry six or seven passengers. Dodge offers the only rear-wheel drive vehicle in the three-row SUV segment. The Durango can be equipped with three different engines, including Hemi V8s. All Dodge Durango models feature exceptional towing.
What’s New in the 2019 Dodge Durango?
The 2019 Dodge Durango sees minor changes this year. Currently in its third generation, the Durango was redesigned in 2011. It last received a major refresh for 2014. But since then, the Durango has received annual updates to remain current.
The Dodge Durango is available in five trim levels: SXT, GT, Citadel, R/T and SRT. Below are notable revisions for 2019.
- Trailer Tow Package now includes integrated trailer brake
- Available blind spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert
- New exterior colors: F8 Green, Destroyer Gray and Reactor Blue
By trim level:
- SXT: Available leather seats
- GT: Standard performance front fascia; available functional SRT hood, SRT wheels, cloth seats, new 20-inch wheel design
- Citadel: Standard second-row Captain’s chairs; available premium audio
- R/T: Available Sepia leather seats, premium audio, SRT wheels, new 20-inch wheel design
- SRT: Standard Brembo brakes; available red seat belts, premium audio
An eight-speed automatic is standard for all Durango models. Engine choices come in three sizes. The standard is a 3.6-liter V6 with up to 295 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque. A pair of V8 engines are outfitted for performance-oriented models. Standard for R/T models (optional on Citadel) is a 5.7-liter Hemi V8. Its output is 360 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque. Exclusive to the Durango SRT is a 6.4-liter Hemi V8. Requiring premium octane fuel, the larger V8 offers 475 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque.
What Does the 2019 Dodge Durango Compete With?
The Dodge Durango competes with the following vehicles:
- Chevrolet Traverse
- Ford Explorer
- Honda Pilot
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Kia Sorento
- Mazda CX-9
- Nissan Pathfinder
- Subaru Ascent
- Toyota Highlander
- Volkswagen Atlas
The Dodge Durango undoubtedly wins the power-and-pull race of the three-row crossover SUV segment. The Durango fits the bill for those looking for workhorse capability and SUV functionality.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Dodge Durango
The 2019 Dodge Durango displays performance chops from the get-go. Even in entry-level SXT form, the Durango features a bold face and wide stance.
Exterior adornments include body-colored fascias, panels and moldings. Chrome trimmings are on Citadel models. Sport-leaning GT, R/T and SRT vehicles receive gloss black accents in place of chrome. Also, a hood scoop is standard on R/T and SRT models but optional on GT. Race-inspired stripes are available for R/T and SRT as well.
LED daytime running lights are standard on all but the entry-level SXT. High-intensity discharge (HID) headlights are standard for higher level trims and available for GT models. Wheels and tires are of the 18- and 20-inch variety. Only the SXT wears 18-inch wheels as standard. All other Durango models ride on one of eight 20-inch wheel designs. A gloss black option is available for SXT.
Interior Style in the 2019 Dodge Durango
The interior of the 2019 Dodge Durango is as big as its exterior suggests. Cargo capacity is 85.1 cubic-feet with rear rows folded flat. Versatility comes with 50 different seating configurations.
Three rows of seating are standard on all but the Durango SXT. But SXT buyers can add one as part of a package. Seven-passenger seating in a 2/3/2 format is standard for GT, Citadel and R/T models. Or they can be optioned with second-row Captain’s chairs. These are standard on the Durango SRT, however.
Interior upholsteries include standard cloth seats for SXT and GT models. Leather is standard on all other models, although of different qualities. For example, capri leather is available for SXT and GT. Softer Nappa leather is an option or standard on the higher-level trims.
The 2019 Dodge Durango interior also features:
- 7.0-inch customizable instrument cluster
- Tri-zone climate control
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Steering-wheel mounted controls
- Keyless entry with push-button start
- Available heated steering wheel
- Available heated and ventilated front seats
- Available heated second-row seats
- Up to five USB ports (front and second rows only)
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Dodge Durango?
The 2019 Dodge Durango is a carryover in terms of in-car technology. But there are infotainment features and options to keep you connected and entertained. The Dodge Durango offers two versions of the Uconnect system.
Standard Uconnect 7.0:
- 7.0-inch multimedia touchscreen
- USB ports
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Optional SiriusXM
The available Uconnect 8.4 NAV includes the features of Uconnect 7.0 plus an 8.4-inch infotainment display, a 4G Wi-Fi hotspot and a one-year complimentary subscription to SiriusXM Radio. A five-year trial also is included for SiriusXM’s Traffic Plus and Travel Link services.
Audio options include a 506-watt, six-speaker Alpine system or the newly-available 825-watt, 19-speaker Harman Kardon system. A Blu-Ray/DVD rear entertainment system featuring 9.0-inch dual screens and a CD player are available as well.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Dodge Durango?
The 2019 Dodge Durango has yet to be crash tested. However, its previous results were not great. The vehicle scored a four out of five stars from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The 2018 model also was not considered a Top Safety Pick by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
Safety features offered on the 2019 Dodge Durango include:
- Rearview camera
- Adaptive cruise control with stop
- Blind spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert
- Forward collision warning
- Automatic emergency braking
- Lane departure warning
- Lane keep assist
- Rear park assist
- Front park assist
What is the 2019 Dodge Durango Like to Drive?
The 2019 Dodge Durango features the most powerful engines of the midsize crossover SUV segment. Especially for a three-row vehicle, its towing power is unmatched. When properly equipped, the Dodge Durango has a maximum towing capacity range of 6,200-8,700 pounds.
Yet with all its massive power (and mass), the rear-wheel drive Dodge Durango drives surprisingly light and nimble. Its handling is athletic but not stiff. Think muscle car in family SUV clothing. And when equipped with a V8, the Durango engine sings a lovely song for your ears.
Fuel economy is average for the V6 engine. Its EPA rating is 19 city, 26 highway and 21 combined mpg. Add all-wheel drive and the figures drop 1 mpg in the city and highway. The V8 engines, on the other hand, are terribly thirsty. The 5.8-liter Hemi V8 returns 14/22/17 mpg for both rear-wheel and all-wheel drive configurations. The 6.4-liter V8 of the SRT drops to the teens. Its all-wheel drive earns 13/19/15 mpg.
Should I Buy a New 2019 Dodge Durango?
The 2019 Dodge Durango will appeal to SUV shoppers who regularly need its towing powers. Whether for work or play, the Durango offers big-power capability. Its cabin also provides well-designed comfort and functionality. Driving dynamics compared to its competitors also is impressive. But that’s where the merits end.
Many families don’t need towing and will find the gobs of Hemi power unnecessary. If focusing solely on safety, options and design, the Dodge Durango is behind the times. Price will become a factor, too, as the more desirable amenities cost extra.
Should I Buy a Used Dodge Durango? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The Dodge Durango is due for a redesign soon. Some reports suggest a 2021 model. With that to consider, if you’re just looking for a capable towing machine and extra seats, a used model might be an option. Otherwise, perhaps wait and see whether the new Dodge Durango will better challenge its rivals in safety and features.
How Much Does the 2019 Dodge Durango Cost?
The 2019 Dodge Durango SXT starts at $30,195. All-wheel drive is an additional $2,600 for all models except the SRT. The Durango SRT features standard all-wheel drive for $62,995. The Trailer Tow Package is available throughout the lineup. This package costs $1,195. The $1,495 destination fee is added to every model.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Dodge Durango
- Best-in-class towing
- Powerful engine options
- Sporty driving dynamics
- Quiet cabin
- Large overall cargo capacity
- Uninspiring design
- Unimpressive safety performance
- Can get pricey with added options
- Lackluster fuel economy
The History of Dodge Durango: 22 Years of Durango
The Dodge Durango has been in production since 1997. In its third generation, the midsize SUV was last redesigned in 2011. Known as the performance brand of the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles group, Dodge Durango added an SRT version in 2018. The Dodge Durango also remains the standalone rear-wheel drive option in the three-row SUV segment. The vehicle is currently assembled in Detroit.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Dodge Durango
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 3.6L V6 24V VVT UPG I w/ESS
- 293 hp
- 8-Speed Automatic (850RE)
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.6L V6 24V VVT UPG I w/ESS
- Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic (850RE)
- 3.27 Rear Axle Ratio
- Rear Load Leveling Suspension
- GVWR: 6,500 lbs
- 50 State Emissions
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Sequential Shift Control
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 650CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 160 Amp Alternator
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- 1380# Maximum Payload
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 24.6 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Short And Long Arm Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 18" x 8.0" Painted Aluminum
- Tires: 265/60R18 BSW AS LRR
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Colored Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper w/Colored Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Chrome Bodyside Insert and Colored Wheel Well Trim
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Colored Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Front Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Laminated Glass
- Radio: Uconnect 4 w/7" Display
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls and Voice Activation
- Streaming Audio
- Fixed Antenna
- 6 Speakers
- Uconnect w/Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- 2nd Row 60/40 Folding Seat
- 4-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Fore/Aft Movement and Fold Flat
- Front Facing Manual Reclining Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Oil Pressure, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Temperature, Transmission Fluid Temp, Engine Hour Meter, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Delete 3rd Row Seat
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Illuminated Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Auxiliary Rear Heater, Headliner/Pillar Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Rear View Auto Dim Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Smart Device Integration
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Windows
- Instrument Panel Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Manual Anti-Whiplash w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Fixed Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Center Armrest
- Sentry Key Engine Immobilizer
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Roadside Assistance/9-1-1 Call Emergency Sos
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st, 2nd And 3rd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- ParkView Back-Up Camera