Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Extremely fuel-efficient with 53 miles of electric-only range
- According to Chevy, most Volt owners go 1,100 miles between gas fill-ups with regular charging
- Built in the U.S.
Chevrolet Volt: Everything You Need to Know
About the Chevrolet Volt
The Chevrolet Volt is a four-door hybrid plug-in vehicle made by Chevrolet. The Chevy Volt seats five passengers.
The Chevrolet Volt is the first mass-market plug-in electric hybrid car with a backup gasoline engine to help extend the range of the vehicle. It was first launched in 2011. The current 2019 Chevrolet Volt is the second generation of the Volt.
The Chevrolet Volt comes with one motor set-up. It gets a 1.5-liter gasoline engine and a pair of electric motors. The electric motors are what drive the vehicle. They rely on an 18.4 kWh battery pack first and get 53 miles on electric charge alone. When the power is drained from the battery, the gasoline engine kicks in to power the motors. The gasoline engine gets around 367 miles per tank, which means the Volt can get up to 420 miles on one fill-up/charge. Total horsepower is around 149 and the electric motors put out 294 pound-feet of torque.
Chevrolet is an American company known mostly for making trucks and muscle cars.
What’s New in the 2019 Chevrolet Volt?
For 2019 Chevrolet Volt gets a series of small upgrades. They include:
- A 7.2 kW charging system that cuts times in half as an option on the LT trim and standard on Premier. This can help you charge faster. Chevy claims that it cuts the charging time in half at Level 2 chargers.
- New infotainment system with an 8-inch color touchscreen.
- Power adjustable driver’s seat as standard on the Premier
- New color: Pacific Blue Metallic
- Automatic engine heater that helps heat the vehicle to operate more efficiently in cold temperatures.
For 2019 Chevy updated some of their packaging as well including:
- A new energy app that helps you hypermile if you want
- HD rear-vision camera
- Front and rear pedestrian alert system
- Available adaptive cruise control
The EPA estimates that the 2019 Chevrolet Volt gets 106 mpge and 42 mpg combined city/highway.
Chevrolet says the Volt takes 2.3 hours to charge on 240 volts when equipped with the 7.2kW system. The standard system is the 3.6 kW system. It comes as standard on the LT trim. You can option the Volt at the LT trim to have the 7.2 kW charger if you want.
What Does the Chevrolet Volt Compete With?
The Chevrolet Volt competes with the following luxury sedans:
- Kia Niro
- BMW i3
- Honda Clarity
- Hyundai Ioniq
- Toyota Prius Prime
- Kia Optima Plug-in hybrid
- Chevrolet Bolt
- Ford Fusion Energi
The Chevrolet Volt is great for people who commute a lot in places where plugging in all the time (like you have to do in an electric vehicle) isn’t possible. It's also great for people who want to start making a move away from fossil fuels and are looking for a very fuel-efficient car.
Exterior Design of the Chevrolet Volt
The 2019 Chevrolet Volt is one of the better-looking plug-in hybrids on the market. It has a five-door hatchback style design and balanced-looking proportions. It doesn't look like a fuel-efficient vehicle (think like a Prius) space-age vehicle and has the trademark bowtie up front. One neat touch to the Chevrolet Volt is the lightning bolt through the 'V’ of the name.
For 2019 there is an optional new color —Pacific Blue Metallic—and optional blackout package that includes black front and rear bowties and 17-inch machined-aluminum wheels.
Interior Style in the Chevrolet Volt
The interior of the Chevrolet Volt is pretty typical of Chevrolet these days—somewhat playful and fun while being practical and comfortable.
You can choose between cloth or leather. The cloth seating has some new optional looks with a decorative pattern. Also new for 2019, Chevy offers a Jet Black/Porcelain Blue interior on the Premier level.
Seating is comfortable and ample for five passengers, though the backseats tend to feel a little cramped with a bit less headroom and legroom. A six-way adjustable power seat is standard on the Premier package.
At the center of the dash is a large color touchscreen which offers navigation and a new energy app that helps the driver achieve maximum fuel-efficiency. You can control many of the functions using buttons on the steering wheel.
What Technology Comes in the Chevrolet Volt?
The Chevrolet Volt comes standard with a variety of convenient technology. Items include:
- It comes with 4G and LTE wifi hotspot built in.
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 8-inch touchscreen
- USB Ports
Chevy also offers basic cruise control on the base level LT. If you want a navigation system and adaptive cruise control, you'll need to step up to the Premier level and add the Driver's Confidence package to get those options.
One of the cool offerings of the Chevrolet Volt is the in-car system that allows you to gamify your driving so that you can drive more efficiently. Hypermilers will love this feature.
What Safety Features are in the Chevrolet Volt?
The 2019 Chevrolet Volt gets a rating of Good from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) gives the Volt a five-star crash rating.
The Volt comes with a number of airbags including those that hit at the knee to prevent sliding under the dash in a collision.
Additional safety equipment is available in the Driver’s Confidence package which can be added to either the LT or the Premier version. This package adds:
- Blind-spot warning
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Rear parking assistance
The Premier level of the Volt has an additional Driver’s Confidence II package that adds navigation along with:
- Lane-keeping assistance
- Automatic high beams
- Adaptive cruise control
- Forward collision warning.
What is the Chevrolet Volt Like to Drive?
On the road, the Chevrolet Volt feels quicker than its previous generation. The revised motor and power set up gets you off the line faster, and it delivers power more evenly and more efficiently when passing on the highway.
The suspension in the new 2019 Volt is somewhat firm and makes the car handle very well on twisting roads. It remains flat and connected to the road and inspires a surprising amount of confidence.
One of the great features of the Chevy Volt is their regenerative brake set up. Using wheel-mounted paddles, you can adjust the amount of regen braking you get when you remove your foot from the brake. It helps drive power back into the battery, and it's easy enough to operate in stop and go traffic.
Should I Buy a 2019 Chevrolet Volt?
Yes. As the world moves more towards fuel-efficiency and greener vehicles, the Chevy Volt is still a great vehicle that straddles fossil fuels and green power. Today it looks more like a normal car (like most plug-in hybrids on the road) and less like some blocky thing from the future.
Plus if you want to go a long way without having to gas up the Volt is the right choice for you. Chevrolet claims that their owners go more than 1,100 miles between fill-ups when the car is regularly charged. With that 2.3 hour charging time, the Volt is a great bridge between green transportation and old-school gasoline.
Should I buy a Used Chevrolet Volt?
Used Chevrolet Volts are good bets if you are looking to save some money and drive green. They have the highest customer satisfaction rating of any GM vehicle, according to the company.
The first-generation Chevy Volt went on sale in 2010 and has five model years under its belt before the current generation. The best way to be sure you are getting a Volt that is in good shape is to have it checked out by a certified mechanic. The most significant expense you might face when purchasing a used Volt would be the replacement of the battery pack. Depending on how many miles the car has been driven and how well it's been maintained, you could find a great deal on a used Chevy Volt.
How Much Does the Chevrolet Volt Cost?
The 2019 Chevrolet Volt starts at $33,520 plus destination. Adding on packages will make the cost go higher.
Moving up to the Premier level with its leather seating and included 7.2kW charger will cost around $38,995 plus delivery.
In any form, we highly recommend that you check out the Chevrolet Volt if you are looking to save money on gas and save the environment at the same time.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Chevrolet Volt
- Great low-end torque
- Improved suspension for better handling
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as standard
- Can go 53 miles on the battery charge alone
- Competitors like the Prius Prime get more total range
- Honda Accord Hybrid offers more efficiency for less money
- Rear leg and seating room is a bit small for larger passengers
The History of the Chevrolet Volt: The First Mass-Produced Hybrid Electric Plug-In Car
The Chevrolet Volt is the first mass-produced electric car with a backup gasoline engine. It originated as a concept vehicle in 2007, and because it got so much attention, GM decided to produce it as a 2011 model (sold in 2010). The Volt some of the highest owner satisfaction ratings according to GM’s own survey and the original could go up to 35 miles on the battery charge alone. Today the Volt can do up to 53 miles on the battery.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Chevrolet Volt
- Body Style
- range extender
- 149 hp
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front wheel drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Cruise Control
- LED Lights
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Engine, range extender, 1.5L Variable Valve Timing, DI, DOHC 4-cylinder
- Electric drive extended range, (149hp [111 kW] 294 lb-ft of torque [398 N-m])
- Emissions, Federal Tier 3
- E10 Fuel capable
- Axle, 2.64 final drive ratio
- Front wheel drive
- Battery, 18.4 kWh, Propulsion, Lithium-ion, Rechargeable Energy Storage System includes liquid thermal management system with active control
- Charging module, 3.6 kW high-voltage
- Charge cord, 120-volt, portable, SAE-compatible
- Battery, 12-volt with Rundown Protection
- Suspension, front, MacPherson strut
- Suspension, rear semi-independent, compound crank
- Steering, Electric Power Steering (EPS) assist, variable for low to high speed maneuvers
- Brakes, 4-wheel anti-lock disc with electro-hydraulic power
- Brake, parking, electric
- Regen on Demand, steering wheel paddle-enabled, regenerative braking
- Wheels, 17" x 7" (43.2 cm x 17.8 cm) 5-spoke painted aluminum
- Tires, 215/50R17 all-season, blackwall, low-rolling resistance
- Tire inflation kit
- Recovery hook, front
- Headlamps, LED low-beam, halogen reflector high-beam, automatic exterior lamp control
- Lamp, LED center high-mounted stop/brake
- Tail lamps, LED illumination
- Mirrors, outside power-adjustable, body-color, manual-folding
- Glass, solar absorbing
- Wipers, front intermittent, variable with washers
- Audio System, Chevrolet Infotainment 3 Plus system 8" diagonal HD color touchscreen, AM/FM stereo, Bluetooth audio streaming for 2 active devices, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capable, enhanced voice recognition, in-vehicle apps, cloud connected personalization for select infotainment and vehicle settings. Subscription required for enhanced and connected services after trial period.
- Audio system feature, 6-speaker system
- Audio system feature, auxiliary input jack, located in front storage bin
- Audio interface, USB port, includes 2 located in front storage bin
- SiriusXM Radio Enjoy a 3-month All Access trial subscription with over 150 channels including commercial-free music, plus sports, news and entertainment. Plus listening on the app and online is included, so you'll hear the best SiriusXM has to offer, anywhere life takes you. Welcome to the world of SiriusXM. (IMPORTANT: The SiriusXM Radio trial package is not provided on vehicles that are ordered for Fleet Daily Rental ("FDR") use. If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Fees and taxes apply. To cancel you must call us at 1-866-635-2349. See our Customer Agreement for complete terms at www.siriusxm.com. All fees and programming subject to change.)
- Chevrolet 4G LTE and available built-in Wi-Fi hotspot offers a fast and reliable Internet connection for up to 7 devices; includes data trial for 1 month or 3GB (whichever comes first) (Available Wi-Fi requires compatible mobile device, active OnStar service and data plan. Data plans provided by AT&T. Visit onstar.com for details and system limitations.)
- Off-board connectivity via internet
- Antenna, roof-mounted, shark-fin type
- Seats, front bucket with reclining seatbacks and adjustable head restraints
- Seats, cloth
- Seat, rear 60/40 split-folding
- Seat adjuster, driver 6-way manual, fore/aft, up/down with recline
- Seat adjuster, front passenger 6-way manual, fore/aft, up/down with recline
- Head restraints, 2-way adjustable (up/down), front
- Head restraints, 2-way adjustable (up/down), rear, outboard seats
- Console, center, covered storage bin with front and rear dual cup holders and rear 12-volt power outlet
- Storage, open, located forward of shifter
- Power outlets, 2 auxiliary, 12-volt 1 in front storage bin and 1 in rear of center console
- Floor mats, carpeted front and rear
- Steering column, tilt and telescopic
- Steering wheel, vinyl
- Steering wheel controls, audio, voice recognition, cruise and Driver Information Center
- Display, center, 8" diagonal LCD touch screen includes energy information screens with programmable charge times
- Drive mode control switch, Normal, Sport, Mountain and Hold modes
- Charge control, programmable time of day with charging status indicator light on instrument panel
- Charge control, location based, selectable GPS enabled with programmable "home" charging setting
- Windows, power with Express-Down on all, driver Express-Up with anti-pinch override
- Door locks, power programmable with delayed locking feature and lockout protection
- Keyless Open and Start passive unlock and lock on all doors and liftgate; push-button start
- Remote Keyless Entry includes remote start, panic alarm and delayed charging override functions
- Remote vehicle starter system
- Cruise control, electronic with set and resume speed, steering wheel-mounted controls
- Theft-deterrent system, anti-theft alarm with immobilizer
- Remote panic alarm
- Air conditioning, single-zone automatic climate control
- Defogger, rear-window electric
- Glovebox, passenger-side
- Storage, front door panels and bottle holder
- Map pockets, driver and front passenger seatbacks
- Mirror, inside rearview manual day/night
- Visors, driver and front passenger vanity mirrors, covered, sliding
- Assist handles, 2, rear outboard with rear coat hooks
- Lighting, interior, ambient LED-based front reading lights, dome and incandescent cargo area lamp
- Shift knob, vinyl
- Storage, covered, dedicated for vehicle charging cord located in rear cargo area
- Cargo cover
- StabiliTrak, stability control system with brake assist includes Traction Control
- Daytime Running Lamps, LED illumination
- Airbag, Passenger Sensing System sensor indicator inflatable restraint, front passenger presence detector (Always use safety belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- Airbags, dual-stage frontal, driver and right-front passenger includes Passenger Sensing System (Always use safety belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- Airbags, thorax side-impact seat-mounted, side-front and side-rear outboard seating positions (Always use safety belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- Airbags, roof rail side-impact, front and rear outboard seating positions (Always use safety belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- Airbags, knee, driver and front passenger (Always use safety belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- OnStar and Chevrolet connected services capable (Fleet orders receive a 3-month trial. Visit onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. Services vary by model.)
- Chevrolet Connected Access with 10 years of standard connectivity which enables services such as, Vehicle Diagnostics, Dealer Maintenance Notification, Chevrolet Smart Driver, Marketplace and more (Limitations apply. Not transferable. Standard connectivity available to original purchaser for ten years from the date of initial vehicle purchase for model year 2018 or newer Chevrolet vehicles. See onstar.com for details and further plan limitations. Connected Access does not include emergency or security services. Availability and additional services enabled by Connected Access are subject to change.)
- HD Rear Vision Camera
- Pedestrian safety signal automatic audible signal during low speed driving
- Seat belts, 3-point, all positions includes front seat dual pretensioners
- Door locks, rear child security
- LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Top tethers for CHildren), for child safety seats
- Teen Driver Mode a configurable feature that lets you activate customizable vehicle settings associated with a key fob, to encourage safe driving behavior. It can limit certain vehicle features, and it prevents certain safety systems from being turned off. An in-vehicle report card gives you information on driving habits and helps you to continue to coach your new driver
- Tire Pressure Monitor System, auto learn includes Tire Fill Alert