Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Low starting price
- Easy to maneuver and park
- Bright exterior colors
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone connectivity
Chevrolet Spark: Everything You Need to Know
About the Chevrolet Spark:
The 2019 Chevrolet Spark is a compact car from General Motors. The five-door hatchback is designed for city driving, squeezing into tight parking spaces, and navigating narrow streets. Starting at just over $14,000, it’s one of the smallest and most affordable new cars on the market. However, the Spark’s base model lacks basic features such as power windows and power locks.
The four-passenger Spark is powered by a 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine. It delivers 29 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway. Those are great numbers for a non-hybrid vehicle. What’s New in the 2019 Chevrolet Spark The 2019 Chevrolet Spark received updated front-end styling and an option for low-speed forward automatic braking. The Spark comes with a five-speed manual transmission. An automatic continuously variable transmission is available. The 2019 Chevrolet Spark is available in four trim levels: LS, 1LT, ACTIV, and 2LT.
- LS: Base model includes cloth upholstery and an impressive list of standard technology features. It includes Bluetooth, dual USB ports, a four-speaker stereo system, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration, a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, and a 7-inch touch-screen infotainment system.
- 1LT: Adds basics such as power locks, power windows, and cruise control. It also comes with satellite radio, a six-speaker stereo system, and keyless entry.
- ACTIV: Includes leatherette upholstery, heated front seats, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel.
- 2LT: Top-of-the-line trim adds push-button start and rear parking sensors. It’s the only trim available with the $295 Driver Confidence suite of advanced driver safety features. That packages includes lane departure warning, forward collision warning, and low-speed automatic emergency braking.
Exterior colors include Orange Burst Metallic, Passion Fruit, Caribbean Blue Metallic, Silver Ice Metallic, Summit White, Mosaic Black, Red Hot, Nightfall Gray, Toasted Marshmallow, and Raspberry.
What Does the Chevrolet Spark Compete With?
Chevrolet Spark’s top competitors include:
Exterior Design of the 2019 Chevrolet Spark
The Spark is a two-door subcompact car designed for city driving. Its 2019 facelift updated the minicar’s front end with a new fascia, grille, and headlamps.
The ACTIV trim has a sportier look with 15-inch aluminum wheels, roof rails, and a raised suspension package.
Spark buyers customize their car with eye-catching colors. The hatchback comes in a range of bright paint colors including bright orange and raspberry.
Interior Style in the 2019 Chevrolet Spark
The 2019 Chevrolet Spark seats four passengers. The subcompact car’s front row has enough head- and legroom for adults, but the back row may feel cramped. The Spark’s seats are manually adjusted and can lack comfort and support on long drives. The dashboard layout is sleek and anchored by a 7-inch touch screen, However, the cabin has hard plastic throughout. Buyers will need to upgrade to the 1LT trim for power locks and power windows. The ACTIV trim is upscale for the segment, with leatherette upholstery, heated front seats, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. The Spark is extremely short on cargo space, even compared with other models in its segment. The minicar holds 11.1 cubic feet of cargo behind its second row. The back row folds down to offer 27.2 cubic feet of space, which is small for suitcases or grocery hauls.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Chevrolet Spark?
The 2019 Chevrolet Spark offers an impressive number of standard technology features for its price point. The base model comes with:
- Dual USB ports.
- Four-speaker stereo system.
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration.
- Built-in Wi-Fi hotspot.
- User-friendly Chevrolet Infotainment 3 System with a 7-inch touch screen.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Chevrolet Spark?
The 2019 Chevrolet Spark performed well in crash tests administered by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. It comes standard with a rearview camera, which displays a real-time image of the area behind the car. The 2LT trim comes with rear parking sensors.
Optional features for 2LT models with an automatic transmission include:
- Low-speed automatic emergency braking, which detects imminent front-end collisions when the Spark is traveling between 5 mph and 37 mph. It automatically applies the brakes to reduce the severity of the impact.
- Forward collision warning, which detects and alerts the driver to objects in the Spark’s path.
- Lane departure warning, which triggers an audio and visual alert if the car approaches the lane markers.
- Rear park assist, which uses ultrasonic sensors to detect objects in the Spark’s path when backing into a park spot.
What is the 2019 Chevrolet Spark Like to Drive?
The 2019 Chevrolet Spark delivers 98 horsepower through a 1.4-liter, four-cylinder engine. A five-speed manual transmission and front-wheel drive are standard. An automatic continuously variable automatic transmission is optional. As the smallest car in Chevrolet’s lineup, the Spark excels at navigating narrow city streets and tight parking spaces. It’s easy to park with a tight turning radius. The Spark delivers less horsepower than many competitors and can feel weak and underpowered in certain driving conditions. This is especially true when it’s getting up to highway speed or trying to pass other vehicles. The subcompact also clocks one of the slowest 0-to-60 times of any new car.
Its ride is fairly comfortable on bumpy pavement, but it is slow to react to steering input. The cabin does not provide much insulation from wind or tire noise.
Should I Buy a 2019 Chevrolet Spark?
The 2019 Chevrolet Spark's wallet-friendly price tag comes at the expense of comfort and performance. Its 1.4-liter, four-cylinder engine feels underpowered, even when compared with rival subcompact cars. Its 98 horsepower is sufficient for congested cities but not when merging or passing cars on the highway.
The minicar’s cargo space is also smaller than its rivals, and buyers will need to upgrade for power locks and power windows. The Spark represents an economical way to get from Point A to Point B, especially when considering its fuel economy rating of 38 mph. However, drivers with long commutes should consider the Spark’s competitors.
Should I buy a Used Chevrolet Spark? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The 2019 Chevy Spark received refreshed front styling and an option for low-speed automatic braking. But buyers who want to drive a used Spark should consider a 2016 or newer model. The last full redesign was 2016.
How Much Does the 2019 Chevrolet Spark Cost?
Starting at $14,095, the 2019 Chevrolet Spark is one of the most affordable subcompact cars on the market. For an additional $1,100, buyers can swap an automatic transmission for the standard five-speed manual transmission. A sunroof adds an extra $1,000.
The Spark 1LT and ACTIV begin at $15,995 and $17,095, respectively. The range-topping Spark 2LT starts at $17,495.
A $295 Driver Confidence package is available on 2LT models with an automatic transmission. It includes forward collision warning, lane departure warning, and low-speed automatic emergency braking.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Chevrolet Spark
- Low starting price
- Easy to park
- Fuel efficient
- Bright colors
- Cramped seats
- Small cargo hold
- Low-quality interior
- Underpowered engine
The History of the Chevrolet Spark: Six years of the Chevrolet Spark
Chevrolet launched the Chevrolet Spark minicar in 2013 as an affordable, fuel-efficient option following the economic recession. That era saw customers foregoing trucks, SUVs, and larger cars for cheaper options.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Chevrolet Spark
- Body Style
- 1.4L DOHC 4-cylinder MFI (98 hp [73.07 kW] @ 6200 rpm, 94 lb-ft of torque [127.4 N-m] @ 4400 rpm)
- 98 hp
- 5-speed manual
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Engine, 1.4L DOHC 4-cylinder MFI (98 hp [73.07 kW] @ 6200 rpm, 94 lb-ft of torque [127.4 N-m] @ 4400 rpm)
- Transmission, 5-speed manual
- Axle, 3.91 ratio, final drive
- Front wheel drive
- Battery, 375 cold-cranking amps
- Alternator, 80 amps
- Suspension, front, MacPherson struts
- Suspension, rear, compound crank
- Steering, power, non-variable ratio, electric
- Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, front disc/rear drum
- Fuel tank, 35L, 9 gallons
- Jack, mechanical with tools
- Wheels, 15" (38.1 cm) steel
- Tires, P185/55R15 all-season blackwall
- Wheel, 14" (35.6 cm) steel spare
- Tire, spare, T105/70D14, blackwall
- Spoiler, rear, Aero
- Grille, chrome
- Headlamps, halogen projector with automatic exterior lamp control
- Lamp, center high-mounted stop/brake (CHMSL)
- Mirrors, outside, Black, manual folding, manual adjustable
- Glass, solar absorbing
- Wipers, front intermittent, variable
- Wiper, rear intermittent, 2-speed
- Door handles, body-color
- License plate bracket, front
- Audio system, Chevrolet Infotainment 3 system, 7" diagonal color touchscreen, AM/FM stereo. Additional features for compatible phones include: Bluetooth audio streaming for 2 active devices, voice command pass-through to phone, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capable
- Audio system feature, 4-speaker system
- Bluetooth for phone personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system and HMI (Human Machine Interface)
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot capable (Terms and limitations apply. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- Antenna, roof-mounted
- USB data ports, 2, illuminated located in the front center stack storage bin
- Seats, front high-back bucket
- Seat trim, Cloth
- Seat adjuster, driver 4-way fore/aft (up/down) manual with manual recline
- Seat adjuster, 2-way manual front passenger with manual recline
- Seat adjuster, front passenger, manual recline
- Seat, rear 60/40 split-bench, folding
- Head restraints, 2-way adjustable (up/down) front and rear
- Console, rear, center with storage tray
- Floor mats, carpeted front and rear
- Foot rest, driver side
- Steering column, Tilt-Wheel
- Steering wheel, 3-spoke
- Instrumentation, analog with speedometer, tachometer and fuel gauge
- Driver Information Center, segmented display
- Oil life monitoring system
- Outside temperature display
- Windows, manual
- Door handles, Black
- Keys, rigid (2)
- Fuel filler door release, remote
- Engine immobilizer
- Air conditioning, single-zone manual
- Cabin air filter
- Defogger, rear-window
- Glovebox, non-locking
- Storage, passenger IP storage tray
- Storage, lower center IP bin
- Cup holders, 2 front and 2 rear
- Power outlet, auxiliary located in front center stack storage bin
- Armrest, driver seat
- Mirror, inside rearview manual day/night
- Visors, driver and front passenger vanity mirrors, covered
- Assist handle, front passenger
- Lighting, dimming instrument panel cluster
- Lighting, interior overhead courtesy lamp with OnStar controls
- Lighting, rear cargo compartment lamp
- Map pocket, front passenger seatback
- Coat hooks, rear seat
- Cargo security shelf, rear
- Chevrolet Connected Access capable (Subject to terms. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- StabiliTrak, stability control system with Brake Assist
- Traction control
- Hill Start Assist
- Daytime Running Lamps, separate cavity
- Rear Vision Camera
- Airbags driver and front passenger frontal and knee, seat-mounted side-impact and roof rail-mounted head-curtain for all outboard seating positions, and Passenger Sensing System for front passenger (Always use seat belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- OnStar and Chevrolet connected services capable (Terms and limitations apply. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- Seat belt pretensioners, driver and front passenger, dual
- Seat belts, 3-point, all positions
- LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren), for child restraint seats
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (does not monitor spare tire)