Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Tows and hauls more than full-size trucks
- Powerful diesel engine delivers strong performance
- Impressive tech lineup, including standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Multiple cabin options available
In your search for a heavy-duty truck, the Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD hits every sweet spot. For starters, it moves some serious weight. But it’s also roomy, comfortable, and high-tech.
When you're on work duty, you'll find that this Chevy truck is sublimely capable. Choose between gas and diesel engine options for the towing and hauling work capabilities you require. Add four-wheel drive to cruise through the country with complete confidence.
Inside, the cabin impresses with its roomy comfort. You won’t mind spending hours on end in Chevy’s supportive seating options. And the cabin even stays pretty quiet, keeping wind and road noise at bay for an enjoyable road trip.
This heavy-duty truck also comes at a great price. If you need extra towing and hauling power but don’t want to overspend on performance, the Silverado’s friendly price is sure to attract your attention. The manufacturer’s suggested retail price starts at just $37,600.
Drivers look to this heavy-duty Chevrolet pickup truck to tow and haul the kind of workloads that lesser trucks can’t handle. When you’re configuring your 2500HD, you can choose between two impressive powertrains.
The base engine is a 6.0-liter V8. It offers 360 horsepower and 380 pounds-feet, giving you a rugged ride. This V8 is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission that’s quick to respond to your input.
If you require a little more heft, check out the turbocharged 6.6-liter diesel V8 engine. It boosts output to 445 horsepower and 910 pounds-feet of torque. This diesel engine works with a stouter Allison six-speed automatic transmission for a stronger performance overall.
Every Chevy Silverado 2500HD offers four-wheel drive. This traction-enhancing gear helps you take a tour through off-road country. And this vehicle’s high stance adds to your experience with an impressive view of your favorite trail.
How Much Can the Silverado 2500HD Tow?
Towing capabilities vary according to each model’s build and equipment. However, with all the right pieces in place, this heavy-duty vehicle can tow max loads of 14,000 pounds. That figure is equal to some pretty serious machinery or even a gigantic family camper.
How Much Can the Silverado 2500HD Haul?
Again, max ratings vary according to your Silverado 2500HD’s body style and equipment. However, if you’re looking to fill the bed to maximum capacity, the right combination will help you haul max payloads of 3,204 pounds. Drivers who do a lot of hauling can make fewer trips than in a full-size truck.
What’s the Silverado 2500HD Fuel Economy?
Shoppers should note that the EPA doesn’t rate heavy-duty trucks for fuel mileage. Some estimates predict the diesel-powered Chevrolet Silverado will earn 14 mpg combined. Of course, your actual fuel mileage will vary according to body style configuration and powertrain.
Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Configurations and Trim Levels
As you shop for your Silverado 2500HD, you’ll find a range of cab options. This heavy-duty vehicle is available with either a double cab or a crew cab. Both offer two rows of roomy seating.
No matter which 2500HD cabin you select, you can choose between two cargo bed options. The standard 6-foot-5-inch bed helps you transport stocky cargo items. If you’re searching for a little extra space for long cargo items, choose the long 8-foot-2-inch bed.
Choose from four nicely equipped Chevrolet Silverado trim levels: the basic Work Truck, mid-range LT, refined LTZ, and top-of-the-line High Country. Which one is right for you? Here’s a look at what each heavy-duty truck trim has in store and who will love driving it.
The entry-level Work Truck delivers heavy-duty power with the line’s most lightweight pricing. It might skip the frills, but the Work Truck is a big hit with drivers. It’s got everything you need for a comfortable modern drive, including power accessories and air conditioning.
The Work Truck also delivers all the latest infotainment gear. It’s got a 7-inch touchscreen interface that’s both responsive and easy to use. And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration technology even displays apps on said touchscreen.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto make it safer to use your smartphone on the go. These features are also easy to configure. Just use the truck’s USB port to connect your phone, and let Apple CarPlay and Android Auto do the rest.
Next up is the LT, a heavy-duty vehicle with a bit more refinement. Inside, it includes comfy cloth upholstery, a handsome leather-wrapped steering wheel, and a rear privacy glass. The LT also boosts safety with OnStar features like on-demand roadside assistance and automatic collision notification.
The LTZ adds some luxurious details. This is the best Chevrolet truck for drivers who want to impress with leather upholstery and heated power-adjustable front seats. The LTZ also adds next-level performance gear; it includes a seven-pin wiring harness with a trailer brake controller.
At the high end of the Chevrolet lineup, you’ll find the High Country. It’s fully loaded with comfort, convenience, power, and performance gear, giving drivers the best taste of the finer things. Inside the High Country, you’ll find upscale details, like the Bose premium audio system and wireless phone charging, to make your day on the road a little more enticing.
2500HD Color Options
Some drivers have an eye for details. Searching for the perfect color? The 2500HD has a little something for everyone with eight color options:
- Havana Metallic Brown
- Red Hot
- Silver Ice Metallic
- Summit White
- Mosaic Black Metallic
- Graphite Metallic
- Deep Ocean Blue Metallic
Why You’ll Love the Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
This Chevy pickup is the best choice for drivers who plan to be on towing and hauling duty. And, with so many body style and trim model options available, Chevrolet makes it easy to configure the perfect truck.
Whether you’re looking for a no-frills weightlifting machine or an upscale workhorse, this Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD delivers the goods.
Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles
Drivers shopping at the dealer for used heavy-duty vehicles will love Chevy’s certified pre-owned program. Before a used Silverado 2500HD can become certified, it must pass a 172-point inspection.
Compared to other used models, dealer pricing tends to be a bit higher for certified pre-owned vehicles. However, with this slightly higher dealer pricing comes greater on-road confidence and peace of mind when riding around in your Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
- Powerful heavy-duty engine options
- Robust towing and hauling capabilities
- Quiet, refined ride for a heavy-duty pickup truck
- Suspension doesn’t absorb bumpy or rocky roads
- Roof pillars and small standard mirrors hinder driver view
- Doesn’t offer as much interior luxury as some competitors
If you’re looking for a used Chevrolet Silverado, you’re in luck. This heavy-duty truck has been around for a long time, so you’re likely to have great options. This model history is here to help you understand how these vehicles have changed over time.
Of course, there were some constants throughout every generation. Every model year has offered either rear- or four-wheel drive. There were also two basic engine options every model year: gas or diesel.
If you want to travel through off-road country, look for a used truck with four-wheel drive. To make the most of the 2500HD’s towing power, shop for the diesel engine.
Every Silverado model year offered both crew and extended cabs. However, the one-row regular cabin was discontinued for 2019.
Third Generation: 2015-2019
For the new 2019 model year, Chevy made one notable change. The 2019 Silverado 2500 is no longer on sale with the regular cabin. But, if you’re looking for a truck with one row of seating, it should be easy to find a used model.
The brand-new 2019 truck is a great pick for drivers with big families. It still offers both the crew and extended cabs. Both offer two rows of roomy seating, making the new 2019 Silverado 2500 a great pick for hauling both people and equipment.
The 2018 Silverado 2500 was the first to offer some important Chevrolet tech features as standard equipment. Beginning with the 2018 model year, every Work Truck came standard with the MyLink infotainment system. The 2018 truck also features a reverse camera, bolstering your rear view.
You’ll find that 2017 was another big model year for this heavy-duty truck. The 2017 Silverado 2500 offers an updated version of Chevy’s diesel engine and air-intake system to take performance to the max. From 2017 on, drivers could choose this diesel engine to work max loads.
Before 2017, the 6.6-liter diesel engine produced 397 horses and 765 pounds-feet of torque. From 2017 on, output rose to 445 horses and 910 pounds-feet of torque.
Second Generation: 2007-2014
Initially, the standard 6.0-liter V8 engine produced 353 horses and 373 pounds-feet of torque. For the 2010 model year, Chevy gave this engine a boost to deliver 360 horses and 380 pounds-feet of torque.
The rugged 6.6-liter Duramax diesel V8 engine also improved over the years. Early second-generation Silverado 2500HD diesel engines produced a robust 365 horses and 660 pounds-feet of torque. From the 2011 model year on, it became even more capable, with 397 horses and 765 pounds-feet of torque.
This generation did away with the manual transmission. You’ll find a six-speed automatic paired to every single engine option.
First Generation: 2001-2006
At the outset, the base 6.0-liter V8 engine came standard with a five-speed manual transmission. This transmission was also a sale option for the other two engines. So, that’s something to look out for, whether you’re in the market for a truck with a manual transmission or you simply want to avoid one.
Used buyers should note that first-generation Silverado 2500HD models actually went into the 2007 model year as the Silverado 2500HD Classic edition. The Classic was a carryover from the 2006 model year rather than a redesigned second-generation truck.
Used Silverado Service History
Just a heads up–you’ll want to check out your used Chevrolet Silverado's service record. If a heavy-duty truck has had regular service throughout its lifetime, you can count on a more dependable ride going forward.
In the end, whichever model year completes your search, you can count on the Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD to get the job done right.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
- Body Style
- Regular Cab Pickup
- 6.6L V8 with Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing
- 401 - 445 hp
- 6-speed automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Tinted Glass
- Trailering Package includes trailer hitch, 7-pin connector and (CTT) Hitch Guidance (Deleted when (ZW9) pickup bed delete is ordered.)
- Engine, 6.6L V8 with Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing, gasoline, (401 hp [299 kW] @ 5200 rpm, 464 lb-ft of torque [629 N-m] @ 4000 rpm)
- Transmission, 6-speed automatic, heavy-duty (Requires (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine.)
- Rear axle, 3.73 ratio (Requires (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine. Not available with (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine.)
- Durabed, pickup bed
- GVWR, 9,900 lbs. (4490 kg) (Requires CC20903 model and (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine with 17" wheels.)
- Air filter, high-capacity
- Air filtration monitoring
- Differential, heavy-duty locking rear
- Rear wheel drive
- Cooling, external engine oil cooler
- Cooling, auxiliary external transmission oil cooler
- Battery, heavy-duty 720 cold-cranking amps/80 Amp-hr maintenance-free with rundown protection and retained accessory power (Included and only available with (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine.)
- Alternator, 170 amps (Requires (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine.)
- Frame, fully-boxed, hydroformed front section and a fully-boxed stamped rear section
- Recovery hooks, front, frame-mounted, Black (Not included when (VQY) Chrome recovery hooks, LPO is ordered.)
- Suspension Package
- Steering, Recirculating Ball with smart flow power steering system
- Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc with DURALIFE rotors
- Brake lining wear indicator
- Capless Fuel Fill (Requires (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.)
- Wheels, 17" (43.2 cm) painted steel, Silver
- Tires, LT245/75R17E all-season, blackwall
- Tire, spare LT245/75R17E all-season, blackwall (Included and only available with (QHQ) LT245/75R17E all-season, blackwall tires with (E63) Durabed, pickup bed. Available to order when (ZW9) pickup bed delete and (QHQ) LT245/75R17E all-season, blackwall tires are ordered)
- Tire carrier lock keyed cylinder lock that utilizes same key as ignition and door (Deleted with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.)
- Bumpers, front, Black
- Bumpers, rear, Black
- CornerStep, rear bumper
- BedStep, Black integrated on forward portion of bed on driver and passenger side (Deleted when (ZW9) pickup bed delete is ordered.)
- Moldings, beltline, Black
- Cargo tie downs (12), fixed rated at 500 lbs per corner (Deleted with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.)
- Grille (Front grille bar with "CHEVROLET" molded in Black, includes Black mesh inserts with small Gold bowtie emblem.)
- Headlamps, halogen reflector with halogen Daytime Running Lamps
- Taillamps with incandescent tail, stop and reverse lights
- Lamps, cargo area, cab mounted integrated with center high mount stop lamp, with switch in bank on left side of steering wheel.
- Mirrors, outside high-visibility vertical trailering lower convex mirrors, manual-folding/extending (extends 3.31" [84.25mm]), molded in Black
- Mirror caps, Black
- Glass, solar absorbing, tinted
- Tailgate and bed rail protection cap, top
- Tailgate, locking, utilizes same key as ignition and door (Upgraded to (QT5) EZ Lift power lock and release tailgate when (PCV) WT Convenience Package is ordered. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.) (Upgraded to (QT5) EZ Lift power lock and release tailgate when (ZLQ) WT Fleet Convenience Package or (PCV) WT Convenience Package is ordered. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.)
- Tailgate, gate function manual, no EZ Lift (Deleted with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.)
- Door handles, Black grained
- Audio system, Chevrolet Infotainment 3 system 7" diagonal color touchscreen, AM/FM stereo. Additional features for compatible phones include: Bluetooth audio streaming for 2 active devices, voice command pass-through to phone, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capable.
- Audio system feature, 2-speakers (Requires Regular Cab model.)
- Bluetooth for phone connectivity to vehicle infotainment system
- Seats, front 40/20/40 split-bench (no storage)
- Vinyl seat trim
- Seat adjuster, driver 4-way manual
- Seat adjuster, passenger 4-way manual
- Floor covering, rubberized-vinyl (Not available with LPO floor liners.)
- Steering wheel, urethane
- Steering column, Tilt-Wheel, manual with wheel locking security feature
- Instrument cluster 6-gauge cluster featuring speedometer, fuel level, engine temperature, tachometer, voltage and oil pressure
- Driver Information Center, 3.5" diagonal monochromatic display
- Exterior Temperature Display located in radio display
- Windows, manual (Requires Regular Cab model.)
- Door locks, manual (Requires Regular Cab model.)
- USB port, located on instrument panel
- Power outlet, front auxiliary, 12-volt
- Air conditioning, single-zone
- Mirror, inside rearview, manual tilt
- Assist handles front A-pillar mounted for driver and passenger, rear B-pillar mounted
- StabiliTrak stability control system with Proactive Roll Avoidance and traction control, includes electronic trailer sway control and hill start assist
- Daytime Running Lamps with automatic exterior lamp control
- Airbags, Dual-stage frontal airbags for driver and front outboard passenger; Seat-mounted side-impact airbags for driver and front outboard passenger; Head-curtain airbags for front and rear outboard seating positions; Includes front outboard Passenger Sensing System for frontal outboard passenger airbag (Always use seat belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- Rear Vision Camera (Deleted with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.)
- Hitch Guidance (Deleted with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.)
- Teen Driver a configurable feature that lets you activate customizable vehicle settings associated with a key fob, to help encourage safe driving behavior. It can limit certain available vehicle features, and it prevents certain safety systems from being turned off. An in-vehicle report card gives you information on driving habits and helps you to continue to coach your new driver
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System with Tire Fill Alert (does not apply to spare tire)
- Trailering Information Label provides max trailer ratings for tongue weight, conventional, gooseneck and 5th wheel trailering (Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.)