Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Three available engines including turbocharged 1.5-liter and 2.0-liter gas, or 1.6-liter turbo-diesel
- Switchable all-wheel-drive offered on higher trims
- Seating for five passengers, with LATCH for child safety seats
- Five trim levels to choose from, including the new Redline sport trim
- Rear seat configuration allows flat cargo floor
2019 Chevrolet Equinox: Everything You Need to Know
About the Chevrolet Equinox:
The 2019 Chevrolet Equinox is a compact crossover SUV. The Equinox provides seating for up to five passengers in two rows. The second row includes the LATCH system for securing child safety seats. With five distinct trim levels to choose from, the Equinox can meet most smaller family needs, from basic economy to near-luxury. There’s even a sporty Redline trim available.
Chevrolet powers the Equinox with three different engines. Basic trims include a 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder. Upgraded trims offer a 2.0-liter turbocharged gas engine or a fuel-efficient 1.6-liter turbo-diesel.
All Equinox trims come with an automatic transmission. The 1.5-liter and diesel engines use a six-speed unit. The 2.0-liter engine receives a nine-speed gearbox. Switch-controlled all-wheel-drive is optional on LS and higher trim levels.
The best thing about the Equinox is the value for your money. The Equinox starts at $23,800. That price puts your family into a comfortable and reliable new SUV. At the high end of the luxury scale, the top Premier trim with all-wheel-drive retails for $36,895.
What’s New in the 2019 Chevrolet Equinox?
Chevrolet is keeping the Equinox up to date in style and technology. The Equinox was last updated for the 2018 model year, so a mid-life refresh is still several years away.
But there are many new features for 2019. These include available 19-inch wheels, LED headlights, and LED taillights on LT trim. There’s a choice of 7.0-inch or 8.0-inch HD infotainment touchscreen with available navigation.
Four USB data ports are standard, with two more optional. The standard rear vision camera and available surround vision system are both upgraded to HD. Premier trim offers forward emergency braking with pedestrian detection and adaptive cruise control. New colors are Pacific Blue Metallic and Kinetic Blue Metallic.
What Does the Chevrolet Equinox Compete With?
The 2019 Chevrolet Equinox competes as an economy compact crossover SUV. This is the heart of the American automobile market, so the competitive field is large. Almost every economy automaker makes a compact SUV. Competitors include:
- Ford Escape
- Honda CR-V
- Hyundai Tucson
- Jeep Compass
- Kia Sportage
- Mazda CX-5
- Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross
- Nissan Rogue
- Toyota RAV4
- Volkswagen Tiguan
The best-selling competitors are the Nissan Rogue, Toyota RAV4, and the Honda CR-V.
Exterior Design of the Chevrolet Equinox
The 2019 Chevrolet Equinox does not stand out as particularly good or bad-looking. The design keeps to the middle of the road and strictly follows the function of the vehicle.
Chevrolet offers a few new exterior features on the Equinox this year. Most are decorative items like new colors and wheel designs. You can now get the Equinox in LT trim with LED headlights and taillights. That will please many budget-conscious families.
Standard exterior features include halogen headlights, heated power-adjustable side mirrors, 17-inch wheels, and sound and UV absorbent glass.
Extra features offered on higher trims and in option packages include 19-inch wheels, LED head and tail lights and fog lights. Roof rails, a panoramic power sunroof and a programmable liftgate are also offered.
New for 2019, Chevrolet offers the Redline Edition on the LT trim with the 2.0-liter engine. This sporty appearance package includes special black and red 19-inch wheels, blackout logos, and black exterior trim.
Interior Style in the Chevrolet Equinox
The Equinox has a family-friendly interior, with comfort upgrades in the higher trim levels. The basic interior is made of hard and soft plastic, making the Equinox remarkably easy to clean.
The base Equinox starts with cloth seats. At the mid-grade LT trim, the driver’s seat is power-adjustable, including lumbar support. The top Premier trim offers heated leather seats with driver seat position memory. Heated outboard rear seats and heated steering wheel are optional with Premier trim.
Crossover SUVs are built for household use. The Equinox provides a generous 29.9 cubic feet of cargo area behind the second row seat. That fits a weekend’s worth of luggage for the whole family. Equinox provides up to 63.5 cubic feet with the rear seat folded flat. That’s enough space to carry a backyard barbecue kit back from the home supply store.
What Technology Comes in the Chevrolet Equinox?
Even the least expensive Equinox comes with a good infotainment technology package. A 7.0-inch color touchscreen system is standard on L, LS, and LT trim vehicles. Every Equinox comes with the ability to receive 4G/LTE data and create a wi-fi hot spot inside the vehicle.
The Premier trim Equinox offers an 8.0-inch premium infotainment system with onboard navigation. A wireless charging pad and a high definition rearview camera come on the Premium trim.
A 360-degree surround view camera system and a Bose seven-speaker audio system are both optional on the Premier trim.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the Chevrolet Equinox?
Chevrolet provides a basic safety package with every Equinox. Standard safety equipment includes features common to new cars. These include daytime running lights, rear seat reminder, child locks, and rear vision camera. The Equinox offers GM’s OnStar emergency communication system and teen driver controls.
Premium trim buyers receive several advanced safety features. These include an HD rearview camera, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alert, and rear park assistance.
There are several optional safety features too. Lane keep assist with lane departure warning is optional. Low-speed forward automatic braking and adaptive cruise control and a safety alert seat are offered.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) awarded the Equinox a top five-star safety rating. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) gave the Equinox top ratings in all crash test categories.
What is the Chevrolet Equinox Like to Drive?
Some criticize the 1.5-liter base engine as underpowered. Our experience is that the Equinox has about the same perceived power as comparable SUVs. The 1.5-liter engine produces 170 horsepower, in line with other compact SUVs. EPA-estimated fuel economy with this engine is up to 26 MPG in city driving and up to 32 MPG on the highway.
If you want more power, the 2.0-liter engine is rated at 252 horsepower with estimated fuel economy of 22 MPG city, 29 highway. For those who want the Equinox to pull a trailer, the 2.0-liter engine is rated to tow up to 3,500 pounds.
The final engine option is a 1.6-liter turbo-diesel with 137 horsepower and 240 foot-pounds of torque. This engine returns up to 28 MPG in the city and 39 MPG on the highway. Note that all-wheel-drive is not offered with the diesel engine.
The 2019 Equinox delivers a pleasant driving experience. Responsive steering, smooth ride, and a quiet cabin are standout features. Visibility is excellent in all directions. Equinox offers a safe, secure feeling for passengers.
Should I Buy a Current Chevrolet Equinox?
2019 is an excellent year to buy a new Equinox. The Equinox is Chevrolet’s second best-selling vehicle after the Silverado pickup truck. The battle for market share has every manufacturer fighting for your business in this crowded competitive set.
As a rule, the lower L and LS trims offer the best value for a new car at a low price. Most families will want access to the more advanced safety and comfort features of the higher trim levels. Whatever your particular situation might be, there’s an Equinox at your price point.
Should I buy a Used Chevrolet Equinox? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
Chevrolet last revised the Equinox for 2018, adding many of the advanced safety features. If you plan to buy a pre-owned Equinox, keep your shopping to more recent model years. Surround view camera, low speed automatic emergency braking, and the safety alert seat will not be on older models.
How Much Does the New Chevrolet Equinox Cost?
The most basic 2019 Chevrolet Equinox retails for $23,800, a great price for a compact SUV. This price makes the Equinox competitive with economy sedans as well as other SUVs. In traditional Chevrolet style, there are no large price jumps to get to the next trim level.
If you want the top Premium trim with all-wheel-drive and the optional technology packages, the net price on your Equinox will be about $37,365. That’s still well under premium pricing.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Chevrolet Equinox
- Great value for the money
- Diesel engine option
- New technology packages
- Supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Recently revised chassis
- Advanced safety offered only on top trims
- All-wheel-drive is an extra cost option
- Upgrade interior only on top trims
The History of Chevrolet Equinox: Chevy’s Favorite Crossover
The Chevrolet Equinox made its debut at the 2003 Detroit Auto Show as a sneak peek. The first Equinox went on sale the following year as a 2005 model. Since that time, Chevrolet has sold over two million of these popular compact SUVs.
The first major revision for Equinox came five years later for the 2010 model year. This model received new engine options and a styling upgrade. Sales soared to twice their previous levels as the public really came around to crossover SUVs at this time.
Sales remained high as the third generation Equinox took the stage for the 2018 model year. The first year of the new Equinox saw unprecedented sales of over 330,000 units. Now 2019 is on track to beat those numbers again as buyers recognize the value of the Chevrolet Equinox.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Chevrolet Equinox
- Body Style
- Sport Utility Vehicle
- 1.5L Turbo DOHC 4-cylinder
- 170 hp
- 6-speed automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Cruise Control
- Lane Departure Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Driver Confidence Package includes (UHY) Automatic Emergency Braking, (UEU) Forward Collision Alert, (UHX) Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning, (UE4) Following Distance Indicator, (UKJ) Front Pedestrian Braking and (TQ5) IntelliBeam headlamps
- Engine, 1.5L Turbo DOHC 4-cylinder, SIDI, VVT (170 hp [127.0 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 203 lb-ft of torque [275.0 N-m] @ 2000 - 4000 rpm)
- Transmission, 6-speed automatic, electronically-controlled with overdrive includes Driver Shift Control
- Axle, 3.50 final drive ratio
- GVWR, 4464 lbs. (2025 kg)
- Fuel, gasoline, E15
- Engine control, stop-start system
- Driver Shift Controls
- Front-wheel drive
- Suspension, front MacPherson strut
- Suspension, rear 4-link
- Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc 16" front and rear
- Brake, electronic parking
- Brake lining, high-performance, noise and dust performance
- Exhaust, single outlet
- Wheels, 17" (43.2 cm) aluminum
- Tires, P225/65R17 all-season blackwall
- Wheel, spare, not desired
- Spare tire delete
- Tire Inflator Kit
- Trim, Black lower window
- Active Aero Shutters
- Headlamps, halogen composite
- Headlamp control, automatic on and off with automatic delay
- Headlamp control, IntelliBeam auto high beam
- Glass, acoustic, laminated windshield
- Glass, solar absorbing, light
- Mirror caps, Black
- Mirrors, outside heated power-adjustable, manual-folding
- Liftgate, rear manual
- Door handles, body-color
- Audio system, Chevrolet Infotainment 3 system, 7" diagonal color touchscreen, AM/FM stereo. Additional features for compatible phones include: Bluetooth audio streaming for 2 active devices, voice command pass-through to phone, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capable.
- Audio system feature, 6-speaker system
- Noise control system, active noise cancellation
- SiriusXM Radio delete
- Antenna, roof-mounted (Black.)
- Bluetooth for phone personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system (Go to my.chevrolet.com/learn to find out which phones are compatible with the vehicle.)
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot capable (Terms and limitations apply. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- Seats, front bucket
- Seat trim, Premium Cloth
- Seat adjuster, driver 4-way manual, fore/aft, up/down
- Seat adjuster, front passenger 4-way manual
- Seat, rear split-folding with center armrest
- Head restraints, 2-way adjustable (up/down), front
- Floor mats, carpeted front
- Steering wheel, 3-spoke, deluxe
- Steering column, tilt and telescoping
- Steering wheel controls, audio, phone interface and driver information center controls
- Speedometer, miles/kilometers
- Display, driver instrument information enhanced, monochromatic
- Window, power with driver Express-Up and Down
- Window, power with front passenger Express-Down
- Windows, power, rear with Express-Down
- Door locks, power with lock-out protection
- Keyless Open includes extended range Remote Keyless Entry with lock and unlock feature
- Keyless Start, push-button
- Cruise control, electronic with set and resume speed
- Theft-deterrent system, unauthorized entry
- Remote panic alarm
- USB ports, 2, with auxiliary input jack, located in front center stack storage area
- USB charging-only ports, 2, located in the rear of the floor console
- Air conditioning, semi-automatic, single-zone
- Defogger, rear-window electric
- Power outlet, front auxiliary, 12-volt
- Mirror, inside rearview manual day/night
- Visors, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, covered
- Assist handle, driver
- Assist handle, front passenger
- Assist handles, rear outboard
- Map pocket, driver seatback
- Map pocket, front passenger seatback
- Shift lever, chrome-trimmed
- Power outlet, cargo area auxiliary, 12-volt
- Chevrolet Connected Access capable (Subject to terms. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- Automatic Emergency Braking
- StabiliTrak, stability control system with Traction Control
- Daytime Running Lamps, separate cavity, LED
- Airbags, dual-stage, frontal, driver and right front passenger with Passenger Sensing System, thorax side-impact, seat mounted, driver and right front passenger, roof-rail, side front and rear outboard seating positions (Always use seat belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- OnStar and Chevrolet connected services capable (Terms and limitations apply. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- Rear Vision Camera
- Forward Collision Alert
- Following Distance Indicator
- Front Pedestrian Braking
- Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
- Rear Seat Reminder
- Door locks, rear child security, manual
- Teen Driver a configurable feature that lets you activate customizable vehicle settings associated with a key fob, to help encourage safe driving behavior. It can limit certain available vehicle features, and it prevents certain safety systems from being turned off. An in-vehicle report card gives you information on driving habits and helps you to continue to coach your new driver
- Tire Pressure Monitor, manual learn with Tire Fill Alert
- Horn, dual-note