Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Impressive range of 238 miles
- Spacious cabin for all passengers
- Generous list of standard features
- Fun to drive thanks to acceleration and handling
- Prominent, intuitive touchscreen
Looking at the Chevrolet Bolt EV
The 2019 Chevy Bolt EV hatchback is the automaker's only all-electric vehicle. It's one of only two cars to seriously contend with the segment leader, boasting more than 200 miles per charge. That means if you don't usually go on long-distance trips, then you don't need to recharge the EV nightly.
The model is relatively new, with just the 2018 edition before it. The 2019 edition keeps the same great features including the electric charge range, color touch-screen display, and amount of miles per hour until next charge. Both editions of the Chevrolet Bolt EV got a NHTSA overall vehicle score of 5-stars, which means that this model is reliable and safe for you to drive.
What's New This Year?
The 2019 model year only brings minor changes, since the Chevrolet only released the Bolt EV a few years ago. This year, there are three new body color choices—Shock, Slate Gray Metallic, and Green Mist Metallic—and a new tire fill alert system.
Great Fuel Economy
On a full charge, the Chevy Bolt EV can drive an astounding 238 miles, which is double the typical value for the segment. It's not an industry leader, but it's also not the most expensive choice. On the highway, the electric vehicle comes close to 102 MPGe, so the efficiency comes in at lower speeds.
As you drive, the Bolt EV updates its estimated remaining range, and it's pretty accurate. In mixed driving tests, the Chevrolet lives up to its promise, achieving the estimated range each time.
How Long Does the Bolt Take to Charge?
On a 120-volt charger, the Chevrolet Bolt replenishes four miles (6.4 km) per hour. On a 240-volt charger, it takes nine-and-a-half hours to recharge fully. With the DC Fast Charge, it takes just 30 minutes to get back 90 miles.
On the inside, the 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV lets little road noise through. Unfortunately, Chevy made some compromises to save on both cost and weight. For example, the rear suspension lacks the build to stay stable on rocky roads, and the all-business seats feel like chairs.
Although there's a generous amount of practical space, the Bolt EV offers insufficient quality and a dull appearance for its price tag. Inside, you'll find lots of hard plastic that relies on textures for variety. The digital displays look nice, though, and they're prominent.
Adult passengers will feel comfortable no matter which seat they're in, thanks to generous leg- and head-room. No trims offer power adjustments for the positions, however.
How Much Space Does the Chevy Bolt Have?
With a passenger in every seat, the Chevy Bolt offers 16.9 cubic feet of space. You can fold one or both of the back seats to increase volume. There's also a floor panel cover for a little more basement storage.
Generous Safety and Modern Features
Like other modern electric cars, the 2019 Chevy Bolt offers regenerative braking. This means it tries to recapture energy as you slow down to maximize range. You'll have control over this feature through the "regen on demand" steering wheel paddle.
Pulling on the paddle triggers the braking system, and the vehicle slows down as if using the pedal. With strong enough deceleration, the brake lights also engage.
The Bolt earned praise for its other safety features, which includes automated emergency braking at low speeds. This prevents collisions with pedestrians or other cars in busy parking lots. Likewise, forward-collision warning alerts you if it detects you're quickly approaching an obstacle.
Strong Handling and Acceleration
Search underneath the hood of this year's Bolt, and you'll find an electric motor good for 200 horses and 266 pound-feet of torque mounted on the front. With the help of a 60-kWh battery pack, the Chevy routes its power to the front wheels through a single-speed auto transmission.
Press the accelerator, and you'll find lots of energy to reward you. The Bolt merges with ease, and there's more than enough power to pass a vehicle on a two-lane road. In testing, the vehicle reaches 60 miles per hour in 6.8 seconds, which is a respectable result for its class.
In real-world driving, the EV feels stable and coordinated, even when the path starts to twist. Going around the corner, the Chevy doesn't roll very much, which adds to driver confidence. The choice to install an underfloor battery pack helps with stability since it gives the Chevrolet a low center of mass compared to traditional gasoline units.
What Is the DC Fast Charge?
Both the Base and Premier trims offer DC fast-charging capability. The fast-charge allows you to connect the Bolt to SAE Combo 400V Level 3 stations. The added power per hour returns you up to 80 percent charge in just over one hour.
Intuitive, Prominent Touchscreen
The EV has an 8.0-inch instrument panel display on both the base and Premier trims as well as a 10.2-inch center touchscreen. The media setup allows you to connect your smartphone through Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Otherwise, there are two USB ports to connect other types of devices and access to SiriusXM satellite radio.
The touchscreen is big and comfortable to see, but the menus, though intuitive, aren't as quick as we'd like. The volume knob feels nice, and there's also a paddle behind the right spoke of the steering wheel. Without smartphone integration and a strong signal, there's no navigation, even at the Premier trim or as an add-on.
If the Bolt EV models are on your shortlist, chances are you're looking for a long-range car that breaks away from gasoline dependency. That's what Chevrolet promises with the Bolt EV, and it certainly delivers.
With a 240-volt charger, you can charge the car overnight and drive around the city for a few days without thinking about it. If long-distance hauls are more common for you, then the DC fast charger gets you 90 miles of range in half an hour. Either way, it offers a quick drive for families and individual drivers alike.
Improvements to the Chevrolet Bolt
The Chevy Bolt EV earns credit as a benchmark for the modern EV, lasting more than 200 miles of range and a great view starting at a low dealer price.
Years later, the model continues to shine, but there's much more competition to face. In response, Chevrolet upgraded the powertrain, improving acceleration and doubling its range. Plus, the Chevrolet Bolt EV is plain fun to drive—and that makes it one of the best choices on the market.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Chevrolet Bolt EV
- Great range per charge
- Plenty of room for passengers in the cabin
- Acceleration and handling are both powerful
- Good features, including a large touchscreen
- Seat cushions are a little thin
- Not the most inexpensive car
- Dull cabin materials
- No major changes this year
In 2012, GM Korea began developing the Bolt alongside its other vehicles, showing the results at the North American International Auto Show three years later. Later, GM North America confirmed it would produce the Chevy Bolt. Since then, the vehicle hasn't had any major changes since its 2018 release.
The electric vehicle doesn't have a long history, but its automaker continues to invest heavily into it. This year's multi-million-dollar investment allowed the company to improve the 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV and make a full second electric vehicle too.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Chevrolet Bolt EV
- Body Style
- 200 hp
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Cruise Control
- LED Lights
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Engine, none
- Electric drive unit, (200 hp [150 kW] 266 lb-ft of torque [360 N-m])
- Final drive ratio, 7.05:1
- Front wheel drive
- Suspension, Performance ride and Handling
- Suspension, front independent
- Suspension, rear, semi-independent, compound crank
- Battery, 60 kWh, Propulsion, Lithium-ion, Rechargeable Energy Storage System
- Charge cord, 120-volt, portable
- Fuel, none
- Alternator, none
- Chassis, standard
- Electric Propulsion
- Electronic Precision Shift, electronic transmission range selector with Low selection for throttle off regenerative braking
- Electronic Precision Shift, button and trigger based transmission interface
- Charging module, 7.2 kW high-voltage
- Battery, 12-volt with rundown protection
- Steering, power, non-variable ratio, electric
- Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
- Keyless start, push button
- Brake, electronic parking
- Regen on Demand, steering wheel paddle, regenerative braking
- Wheels, 17" (43.2 cm) painted aluminum
- Tires, P215/50R17 all-season blackwall, Michelin Selfseal puncture-sealing
- Recovery hook, front
- Recovery hook, rear
- Grille, high gloss Black
- Headlamp control, automatic on and off
- Headlamps, high intensity discharge, low and high beam projector
- Lamp, center high-mounted stop/brake (CHMSL), LED
- Lamps, stop and tail, LED
- Mirrors, outside heated power-adjustable, Black, manual-folding
- Glass, solar absorbing
- Wipers, front intermittent, variable with washers
- Wiper, rear intermittent with washer
- Door handles, body-color
- Liftgate handle
- Audio System, Chevrolet Infotainment System with 10.2" diagonal LCD color touch-screen, AM/FM stereo with seek-and-scan and digital clock, includes Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phones; voice command pass-through to phone; featuring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability for compatible phone
- Audio system feature, 6-speaker system
- Audio system feature, USB ports (2) and auxiliary input jack, located in front center console
- SiriusXM Radio enjoy an All Access trial subscription with over 150 channels including commercial-free music, plus sports, news and entertainment. Plus listening on the SiriusXM app, online and at home on compatible connected devices is included, so you'll hear the best SiriusXM has to offer, anywhere life takes you. Welcome to the world of SiriusXM. (IMPORTANT: The SiriusXM radio trial package is not provided on vehicles that are ordered for Fleet Daily Rental ("FDR") use. If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Fees and taxes apply. See the SiriusXM Customer Agreement at www.siriusxm.com for complete terms and how to cancel. All fees, content, features, and availability are subject to change.)
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot capable (Terms and limitations apply. See onstar.ca or dealer for details.)
- Antenna, roof-mounted, shark-fin
- Seats, front bucket
- KeyPass, retail smartphone entry, start operation
- Seat, rear 60/40 split-folding (Deleted when (K1T) Rear Seat Delete Package is ordered.)
- Seat adjuster, driver 6-way manual
- Seat adjuster, front passenger 6-way manual
- Head restraints, front, adjustable (up/down)
- Head restraints, rear, outboard seats, articulating
- Console, floor with sliding armrest and covered storage
- Power outlet, auxiliary, located forward of the front storage bin
- Floor mats, carpeted front
- Floor mats, carpeted rear (Deleted when (K1T) Rear Seat Delete Package is ordered.)
- Steering column, tilt and telescopic
- Steering wheel, 3-spoke, deluxe
- Steering wheel controls, mounted audio, phone and cruise control
- Instrumentation, digital with mph speedometer
- Driver Information Center 8" diagonal enhanced multi-color configurable graphic display with 3 themes and energy-use monitors
- Outside temperature display located in the Driver Information Center
- Display, vehicle efficiency with programmable charge times
- Drive mode control switch (Normal and Sport)
- Charge control, programmable time of day with charging status indicator light on instrument panel
- Charge control, location based, selectable GPS enabled with programmable "home" charging setting
- Windows, power with driver Express-Up and Down
- Windows, power with front passenger Express-Down
- Windows, power with rear Express-Down
- Door locks, power programmable with lockout protection
- Lock control, liftgate, power remote lock/unlock
- Keyless Open, passive unlock and lock on all doors and liftgate
- Remote Keyless Entry, extended range with remote start, panic button and door lock/unlock functions
- Remote vehicle starter system includes Remote Keyless Entry
- Cruise control, electronic with set and resume speed
- Theft-deterrent system, electrical, unauthorized entry
- Theft-deterrent system, immobilizer
- Theft-deterrent alarm system, content theft alarm
- Remote panic alarm
- Air conditioning, single-zone automatic climate control
- Air filter, cabin
- Sensor, cabin humidity
- Defogger, rear-window electric
- Heat ducts, rear (Deleted when (K1T) Rear Seat Delete Package is ordered.)
- Glovebox, passenger-side
- Cup holders, 2 front and 2 rear
- Mirror, inside rearview manual day/night
- Visors, driver and front passenger sliding vanity mirrors, covered
- Assist handles, 2, rear outboard with rear coat hooks
- Lighting, interior, ambient LED-based front reading lights, dome and incandescent cargo area lamp
- Lighting, ambient, LED-based door light pipes
- Shift knob, leather-trimmed with satin silver and chrome accents
- Storage, in front of shifter and driver and front passenger door panels
- Door handles, inside, chrome
- Charge cord, 120-volt, portable, NEMA 5 plug with SAE J1772 vehicle connection (Deleted when (K1T) Rear Seat Delete Package is ordered.)
- Cargo cover
- Storage, rear cargo area, intended for charging cord, covered
- Chevrolet Connected Access capable (Subject to terms. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- StabiliTrak, stability control system with Traction Control
- Pedestrian safety signal, automated external sound generator at low speeds alerts pedestrians of vehicle presence
- Daytime Running Lamps, LED with signature lighting
- Airbags, driver and front passenger dual-stage frontal includes Passenger Sensing System; roof-rail side-impact and thorax side-impact seat-mounted for front and rear outboard seating positions; driver and front passenger knee (Deleted when (K1T) Rear Seat Delete Package is ordered, replaced with (AYG) airbags. Always use seat belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- OnStar and Chevrolet connected services capable (Terms and limitations apply. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- HD Rear Vision Camera
- Seat belts, 3-point, driver and front passenger includes pretensioners and load limiters
- Seat belts, 3-point, rear outboard and center position
- Restraint provisions, child, Isofix 2 point only, point/latch, includes 3 top tether points (Deleted when (K1T) Rear Seat Delete Package is ordered.
- Seat belt indicator, driver
- Seat belt indicator, front passenger
- Door locks, rear child security
- Teen Driver a configurable feature that lets you activate customizable vehicle settings associated with a key fob, to encourage safe driving behavior. It can limit certain vehicle features, and it prevents certain safety systems from being turned off. An in-vehicle report card gives you information on driving habits and helps you to continue to coach your new driver
- Tire Pressure Monitor System, manual learn
- Tire Fill Alert