Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Six trim levels to choose from
- New ultra-luxury Avenir trim
- Available 3.6-liter V6 engine
- Available all-wheel-drive
- Standard eASSIST with four-cylinder engine
Buick LaCrosse: Everything You Need to Know
About the Buick LaCrosse:
The 2019 Buick LaCrosse is the flagship full-size sedan from GM’s near-luxury brand. The LaCrosse provides comfortable seating for five adults. The Buick is known for its quiet cabin and smooth ride. This model also provides competitive technology and an advanced safety package.
The LaCrosse comes with two engine choices. The basic engine is a 2.5-liter four-cylinder with eASSIST mild hybrid support. That means there’s an electric motor that helps power the car at low speeds. Buyers may also choose a 3.6-liter V6 engine for more power. Both engines are paired with automatic transmissions. The four-cylinder uses a six-speed, and the V6 receives a nine-speed gearbox. The LaCrosse is available with front-wheel-drive or optional all-wheel-drive.
When the current LaCrosse was released in 2017, it received a Ward’s 10 Best Interiors award. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety also recognized the 2017 LaCrosse as a Top Safety Pick. Shoppers looking for a full-size luxury sedan at an affordable price point should consider the LaCrosse.
What’s New in the 2019 Buick LaCrosse?
The 2019 LaCrosse continues from 2017 without major changes. Top features for 2019 include:
- 3.6-liter V6 engine with 310 horsepower, 268 pound-feet of torque.
- 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine with eASSIST with 194 horsepower and 187 pound-feet of torque.
- New Sport Touring trim features a V6, blacked-out grille, and exclusive 19-inch wheels.
- Avenir ultra-luxury trim continues from 2018.
- Standard air ionizer on Premium trim.
What Does the Buick LaCrosse Compete With?
The LaCrosse competes in the full-size premium sedan class with the following vehicles:
Most buyers in this segment are established families or older couples. Buyers shopping these cars expect top quality, but at a more affordable price than upper luxury brands. In this class, buyers demand a comfortable and quiet cabin, good engine power, and a full set of advanced technology features.
Exterior Design of the Buick LaCrosse
The LaCrosse is an attractive car with flowing lines. Where some brands feature a blocky, hard-edged look, Buick uses a sleek, European-inspired exterior design. The LaCrosse exterior is specifically intended to reduce wind noise in the cabin.
The top Avenir trim includes a broad mesh grille, and specific 19-inch or 20-inch wheels. Buick’s trademark Ventiport fender trim is subtle, yet it provides a visual cue to the brand’s identity.
Standard exterior features include:
- Ten available colors including a new Carrageen Metallic green.
- 18-inch alloy wheels.
- HID headlights with LED accent lights.
- Fog lights.
- LED daytime running lights and taillights.
- Heated side mirrors.
- Solar-absorbing glass
Interior Style in the Buick LaCrosse
With six trim levels to choose from, the LaCrosse fits a wide variety of family budgets. Standard interior features include Buick’s trademark QuietTuning system. QuietTuning places triple door seals and acoustic laminated glass in the windshield and front side windows. These features help maintain a quiet cabin.
Inside, LaCrosse owners are treated to a modern, flowing design. The driver and front seat passenger get a clean, high-tech dash design within easy reach. All touch points are covered in soft materials or attractive trim.
The entry-level LaCrosse sedans offer leatherette upholstery. Perforated leather seats are standard on Sport Touring and higher trims. Heated and ventilated leather seats with a lumbar massaging feature are standard on Premium and Avenir trims.
The rear seats in the LaCrosse fold down to provide extra cargo space. The seat has a 60/40-split so you can carry passengers in the backseat, plus longer cargo. The rear seats provide LATCH attachments for child car seats. Trunk space in the LaCross is about 15 cubic feet, or enough room for weekend luggage or golf clubs for four adults.
What Technology Comes in the Buick LaCrosse?
Buick’s standard infotainment system uses a frameless 8.0-inch- color touchscreen. All LaCrosse trims support both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone services. Like all GM products, the LaCrosse has an onboard 4G/LTE data receiver, and comes with a three-month free trial of data services. Drivers can create a wi-fi hotspot inside the LaCrosse for passenger use.
An upgraded infotainment system is optional on mid-grade trims and standard on Avenir trim. This system includes a Bose Centerpoint audio package with HD Radio and adds onboard GPS navigation to the standard Buick system.
The top trim levels add more features. A head-up display is standard on Premium and Avenir trims. All top trims also include a wireless device charging station.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the Buick LaCrosse?
Beyond the standard backup camera, the LaCrosse adds forward collision alerts, a vibrating safety alert seat, and a following-distance indicator on Premium and Avenir trims. Other advanced safety features are grouped into option packages, so buyers can select the features they want.
The LaCrosse Driver Confidence Package 1 is available on Sport Touring and Essence trims, and standard on Premium and Avenir. This package includes blind spot monitoring with lane change alert, and rear cross-traffic alert.
The Driver Confidence Package 2 is optional with Premium and Avenir models. This set of driver assistance features includes automatic parking assistance, forward automatic braking with pedestrian detection, and full speed range adaptive cruise control.
What is the Buick LaCrosse Like to Drive?
The Buick LaCrosse is a smooth, quiet, comfortable car. With the V6 engine, the LaCrosse is also fast and powerful. Buyers should test-drive both the four-cylinder and V6 models before making a purchase decision. The four-cylinder engine with eASSIST is adequate, but drivers are likely to prefer the V6.
The LaCrosse with the four-cylinder engine returns 25 mpg in city driving, and up to 29 mpg on the highway. If you upgrade to the V6, EPA estimates are 20 mpg city, and up to 24 mpg on the highway.
Buick offers a dynamic driving option package. The package includes 20-inch wheels, a Sport driving mode selector, and continuously variable active suspension damping. This feature sharpens up the steering and handling on curvy or bumpy roads.
Automatic all-wheel-drive is available on any LaCrosse with the V6 engine. It is an excellent feature to add in wet or snowy climates.
Should I Buy a Current Buick LaCrosse?
The 2019 Buick LaCrosse starts at $30,495. That’s an economy-car price for a premium sedan, and the definition of a great value. Each upgraded trim level adds a few thousand dollars, but also more features and a nicer cabin.
All-in, the LaCrosse Avenir with all-wheel-drive costs $47,995. That’s near the starting price of many of the competing models. Comparing features and prices shows the LaCrosse Avenir is a compelling value among premium full-size sedans.
Should I buy a Used Buick LaCrosse? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The best way to save some money on a Buick LaCrosse would be to buy a 2017 or 2018 pre-owned model. Buick has a certified pre-owned program to protect late model buyers, so it’s almost as good as a new car. 2017 and newer models will have almost all the tech and safety features of the current model.
Older LaCrosse models back to 2010 are also good choices, and will be available for much less money.
How Much Does the New Buick LaCrosse Cost?
The LaCrosse in the most basic 1SV trim starts at $30,495. But LaCrosse buyers will want to go as high up the trim ladder as they can afford to add more features. The LaCrosse Preferred costs $34,595, while the Essence trim starts at $37,295.
The top three trims are the Premium at $39,595, Sport Touring at $40,295, and the Avenir at $45,795. Choosing all-wheel-drive adds a few thousand to the price of any V6-equipped LaCrosse.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Buick LaCrosse
- Quiet, comfortable cabin
- Smooth ride
- Affordable trim levels
- V6 engine
- Available all-wheel-drive
- Advanced safety features not standard
- No all-wheel-drive on base trims
- Extra charge for dynamic suspension system
The History of the Buick LaCrosse: The Renewal of Buick
The LaCrosse has been part of the Buick brand since 2005, and no model better illustrates the changes that Buick has undergone during that time. The first LaCrosse was a mid-size replacement for the Century and Regal models, which had history stretching back decades.
Both Buick and the LaCrosse survived General Motors’ bankruptcy. After that upheaval, the 2010 LaCrosse was one of the first models to be updated with Buick’s new look. The new LaCrosse became Buick’s full-size flagship, and the leading vehicle in Buick’s efforts to attract younger buyers. The update worked and sales more than doubled.
The third-generation LaCrosse arrived for the 2017 model year. The latest LaCrosse has continued Buick’s successful transformation. This model offers more technology and advanced safety features, and continues to serve as Buick’s flagship sedan.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Buick LaCrosse
- Body Style
- 2.5L 4-cylinder with eAssist fuel saving technology
- 194 - 310 hp
- 6-speed automatic 6T40
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Cruise Control
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Tinted Glass
- Engine, 2.5L 4-cylinder with eAssist fuel saving technology, L4 SIDI DOHC includes Stop/Start technology (194 hp [144.7 kW] @ 6300 rpm, 187 lb-ft of torque [252.5 N-m] @ 4400 rpm)
- Transmission, 6-speed automatic 6T40, GEN3
- Axle, 2.64 final drive ratio (Requires (LHN) 2.5L 4-cylinder eAssist engine.)
- Keyless Start, push-button
- Drivetrain, front wheel drive
- Battery, maintenance-free with rundown protection, located in trunk
- Suspension, front MacPherson strut
- Suspension, rear 5-link
- Steering, electric, variable effort
- Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc 16" front and rear
- Brake, parking, electronic powered
- Exhaust, single outlet hidden
- Hybrid propulsion electric motor generator, parallel, 20 kW continuous power
- Wheels, 18" (45.7 cm) aluminum alloy
- Tires, P235/50R18 all-season, blackwall
- Wheel, spare, none (Requires (LHN) 2.5L 4-cylinder eAssist engine.)
- Tire, spare, none (Requires (LHN) 2.5L 4-cylinder eAssist engine.)
- Tire Inflator Kit (Requires (LHN) 2.4L 4-cylinder eAssist engine.)
- Moldings, bodyside, bright
- Grille, darkened waterfall with colored tri-shield and wing element
- Shutters, front upper and lower grille, active
- Headlamps, high intensity discharge (HID), Xenon projector lamps with flash-to-pass feature , automatic on and off, automatic delay and warning buzzer
- Headlamp control, automatic on and off
- Fog lamps, front, halogen
- Turn signals, side-mounted indicator lamps
- Taillamps, LED
- Mirrors, outside heated power-adjustable, manual folding with integrated turn signal indicators and ground illumination.
- Windshield, solar absorbing
- Glass, Solar-Ray light-tinted
- Glass, acoustic, laminated front-side and windshield
- Wipers, front intermittent with washers
- Door handles, body-color with chrome accent
- Audio system, Buick Infotainment System, AM/FM stereo includes 2 USB ports, Bluetooth streaming for audio and select phones and Phone Integration for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability for compatible phone
- Audio system feature, 8-speaker system
- Antenna, integral rear, roof-mounted, body-color
- Buick 4G LTE and available built-in Wi-Fi hotspot offers a fast and reliable Internet connection for up to 7 devices; includes data trial for 1 month or 3GB (whichever comes first) (Available Wi-Fi requires compatible mobile device, active OnStar service and data plan. Data plans provided by AT&T. Visit onstar.com for details and system limitations.)
- Seats, front bucket with seatback map pockets
- Seat trim, leatherette
- Seat adjuster, driver 8-way power
- Seat adjuster, front passenger, 8-way power
- Seat adjuster, 2-way power driver lumbar control
- Seat, rear split-folding with trunk-mounted seat release
- Head restraints, rear, outboard seats, adjustable (up/down)
- Floor mats, carpeted front with anchors
- Floor mats, carpeted rear
- Sill plates, bright, front
- QuietTuning Buick process to reduce, block and absorb noise and vibration utilizing ultra-dissipative acoustic materials and Active Noise Cancellation to create a quiet interior cabin
- Steering column, manual tilt and telescopic
- Steering wheel, leather-wrapped, 4-spoke
- Steering wheel controls, mounted controls for audio and cruise
- Display, enhanced driver instrument information
- Windows, power with driver Express-Up/Down
- Windows, power with front passenger Express-Up/Down
- Windows, power, rear
- Door locks, power programmable with lockout protection and delayed locking
- Remote vehicle starter system
- Universal Home Remote includes garage door opener, 3-channel programmable
- Cruise control
- Theft-deterrent system, content theft alarm, immobilizer
- Air conditioning, dual-zone automatic climate control with individual climate settings for driver and right-front passenger
- Air filtration system with filter
- Air vents, rear, heating/cooling
- Defogger, rear-window electric
- Sensor, humidity and windshield temperature
- Console, center with storage pass-through
- Cup holders, 2 front console, covered, 2 rear armrest
- Power outlet, front auxiliary, 12-volt, covered
- Power outlet, rear auxiliary, 12-volt, covered
- Armrest, rear center with 2 integral cup holders and trunk pass through
- Visors, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors
- Assist handles, front passenger and rear outboard with coat hooks on rear passenger assist handles
- Lighting, interior includes LED interior front and rear reading lights, and Moon White interior ambient lighting in front and rear door pulls and front foot well
- Electronic Grade Braking with brake hold
- StabiliTrak stability control system with Traction Control
- Daytime Running Lamps, LED
- Air bags, frontal, driver and right-front passenger head curtain side-impact and thorax for front and rear outboard seating positions and knee for driver and front passenger (Always use safety belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- Air bag Passenger Sensing System, sensor indicator inflatable restraint, front passenger/child presence detector (Always use safety belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owners Manual for more information.)
- OnStar and Buick connected services capable (Fleet orders receive a 3-month trial. Visit onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. Services vary by model.)
- Buick Connected Access with 10 years of standard connectivity which enables services such as, Vehicle Diagnostics, Dealer Maintenance Notification, Buick Smart Driver, Marketplace and more. (Limitations apply. Not transferable. Standard connectivity available to original purchaser for ten years from the date of initial vehicle purchase for model year 2018 or newer Buick vehicles. See onstar.com for details and further plan limitations. Connected Access does not include emergency or security services. Availability and additional services enabled by Connected Access are subject to change.)
- Rear Parking Assist, Ultrasonic with audible warning
- Rear Vision Camera
- Seat belts, 3-point, driver and right-front passenger, height adjustable includes pretensioners and load limiters
- Seat belts, 3-point, rear, all seating positions
- Teen Driver Mode
- LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren), for child restraint seats
- Trunk latch, safety, manual release
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System