Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Lineup streamlined to include four trims
- Safety Package II offered on top-of-the-line Essence trim includes rain-sensing wipers, front and rear park assist, forward collision alert, and lane departure warning
- New exterior colors include Deep Azure Metallic and Satin Steel Metallic
2019 Buick Encore: Everything You Need to Know
About the Buick Encore
The Buick Encore is Buick’s best-selling model in North America and the smallest SUV in its lineup. As the counterpart to Buick’s larger Envision and Enclave utility vehicles, the Encore provides a smooth, quiet ride and a long list of standard features.
It’s a capable, affordable and reasonably upscale alternative to pricier luxury crossovers.
What’s new in the 2019 Buick Encore?
Buick reshuffled its trim levels for 2019 to offer four options: 1SV, Preferred, Sport Touring and Essence.
The Encore’s uses a 138-horsepower, 1.4-liter, four-cylinder turbocharged engine mated to a six-speed automatic transmission with rear-wheel drive. Sport Touring and Essence buyers can upgrade to the engine’s 153-horsepower version. All-wheel drive is available on all trims except for the base model.
1SV: The 2019 Buick Encore’s base trim comes with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone connectivity. It also has Bluetooth, a pair of USB ports, a Wi-Fi hot spot, satellite radio and the Buick IntelliLink infotainment system with an 8-inch touch screen. All models come equipped with a rearview camera and push-button start. General Motor’s OnStar and Buick Connected Services for a variety of functions is also standard. All Buicks come with QuietTuning and Active Noise Cancellation to reduce tire and road noise inside the cabin.
Preferred: Preferred trim buyers may add a moonroof as well as rear cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring.
Sport Touring: Sport Touring models come with the option for an upgraded infotainment system with navigation, as well as remote start and fog lights.
Essence: Essence adds leather upholstery, heated front seats, and a heated steering wheel. The top-of-the-line trim also comes with an option for Buick’s Safety Package II, which includes front and rear park assist, lane departure warning, forward collision alert, and rain-sensing wipers. It also gets leather upholstery, and heated driver and front-passenger seats.
Exterior colors for the 2019 Buick Encore now include Deep Azure Metallic and Satin Steel Metallic.
What does the 2019 Buick Encore compete with? The Buick Encore competes with the following cars:
The 2019 Buick Encore comes equipped with several technology and safety features that competitors don’t offer as standard, such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
The five-passenger compact crossover’s smaller footprint is particularly suited to young families, empty nesters and city-dwelling drivers who want maneuverability without sacrificing utility.
Exterior design of the 2019 Buick Encore
The 2019 Buick Encore is an attractive subcompact crossover with a sleek profile and muscular stance.
The Sport Touring trim gets a sportier look than the base model with a winged rear spoiler, 18-inch aluminum premium-finished wheels and body-color door handles.
The Experience Buick Package available on Essence, the top trim, adds a tilt-sliding power moonroof and 18-inch chromed aluminum wheels.
All models come equipped with LED daytime running lamps, and Essence comes standard with LED headlamps.
Interior style in the 2019 Buick Encore
The five-passenger Buick Encore uses premium materials such as chrome accents and contrast stitching to create a more upmarket feel than its rivals. The top-of-the-line Essence trim comes with leather upholstery, heated front seats and a heated steering wheel.
Cloth seating is standard, and the front seats sit high enough to provide the driver with a clear view of the road. All models come with a six-way power-adjustable driver’s seat and a flat-folding front passenger seat for transporting items up to eight feet long.
Two adults can fit comfortably in the second row, but three adults may feel cramped. The back seat includes two sets of easy-to-use LATCH car-seat connectors but can’t accommodate a rear-facing child seat without moving up the front seats.
Buick’s noise cancelling technology mitigates road and tire noise inside the cabin, even on the highway. The touch screen powering the infotainment system is easy to use and accessible from the front seats.
The Encore has nearly 19 cubic feet of space behind the rear seats, which is more than enough space for a big box store or supermarket haul. The space expands to 48 cubic feet when the rear seats are folded down.
What technology comes in the 2019 Buick Encore?
The 2019 Buick Encore comes with several technology features found in luxury SUVs including:
- Buick IntelliLink infotainment system with an 8-inch touch screen with full-color display
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi hot spot
- Six-speaker stereo
- Satellite radio
- Dual USB ports
- QuietTuning and Active Noise Cancellation technology
- Keyless entry
- Push-button start Optional technology features include:
- Bose seven-speaker sound system
- myBuick App, which lets you remotely lock and unlock the doors, start the engine, and check your tire pressure
What kind of safety features are in the new Buick Encore?
The new Buick Encore comes with several standard safety features as well as optional equipment such as rain-sensing windshield wipers.
All models come equipped with:
- Ten air bags
- Rear-vision camera
- Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and electronic brake force distribution, cornering brake control and brake assist
- StabiliTrak stability control system with full-function traction control
Optional safety equipment for upper trims includes:
- Side Blind Zone Alert
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
- Rainsense wipers
- Front and Rear Park Assist
- Forward Collision Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
What’s the 2019 Buick Encore Like to drive?
The 2019 Buick Encore offers a smooth, comfortable ride with one of the quietest cabins on the road, thanks to Buick’s QuietTuning and Active Noise Cancellation technology. The interior feels spacious enough for four adults, with comfortable seats and a well-appointed cabin. The Essence trim feels especially luxurious, with leather upholstery, heated front seats and a heated, leather-wrapped steering wheel.
The Encore’s standard, 138-horsepower engine can feel underpowered but is adequate for daily driving around town. The 153-horsepower engine available with the Sport Touring and Essence trims is more adept at highway driving and provides better acceleration. The SUV’s small footprint and smooth-shifting six-speed automatic transmission translate into cushioned handling in congested areas.
Its muscular profile cuts an attractive figure on the road and upgrading to the Sport Touring or Essence trim creates a sportier, more dynamic impression. Both models get larger, 18-inch wheels, and the Sport Touring comes with a winged rear spoiler. The Encore’s standard IntelliLink infotainment system and 8-inch touch screen are intuitive to use and easy to control from the driver’s seat. Standard dashboard features including Bluetooth, dual USB ports, satellite radio, a 4G LTE Wi-Fi hot spot and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto help turn Buick’s smallest SUV into a luxury experience.
Should I buy a 2019 Buick Encore?
The 2019 Buick Encore features a high-quality interior and a generous number of standard features compared to other subcompact crossovers in its segment. The Encore is nimble, and it offers a cushioned ride and a quiet cabin. However, it has a higher starting price than most competitors.
Should I buy a used Buick Encore?
The Buick Encore has not changed significantly since its 2017 facelift, which refreshed the SUV’s exterior and interior design and added Buick’s 8-inch touch screen infotainment system with support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as well as a built-in Wi-Fi hot spot. Buyers could save money buying a 2017 or 2018 model without sacrificing design or technology.
How much does the 2019 Buick Encore cost?
The 2019 Buick Encore is on sale and starts at $23,200 for the base model. Preferred and Sport Touring trims begin at $24,600 and $25,800, respectively. The luxury Essence trim starts at $29,300.
The Buick Encore costs more than most of its competitors from Honda, Hyundai and similar brands, but it provides premium features for much less than subcompact crossovers from luxury brands.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Buick Encore
- Quiet cabin
- Premium materials
- Decent fuel economy
- Excellent crash test scores
- Long list of technology and safety features
- High starting price
- Underpowered base engine
- Cramped backseat for three adults
The History of Buick Encore
The five-passenger compact crossover joined Buick’s lineup in 2013 and became the brand’s best-selling vehicle in North America in 2015.
A 2017 facelift gave the Encore its sculpted front-end and refreshed cabin design, as well as updated technology: a Wi-Fi hot spot and an 8-inch touch-screen infotainment system with support for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Buick Encore
- Body Style
- Sport Utility Vehicle
- ECOTEC Turbo 1.4L Variable Valve Timing DOHC 4-cylinder sequential MFI (138 hp [102.9 kW] @ 4900 rpm, 148 lb-ft of torque [199.8 N-m] @ 1850 rpm)
- 138 hp
- 6-speed automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Cruise Control
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine, ECOTEC Turbo 1.4L Variable Valve Timing DOHC 4-cylinder sequential MFI (138 hp [102.9 kW] @ 4900 rpm, 148 lb-ft of torque [199.8 N-m] @ 1850 rpm)
- Transmission, 6-speed automatic, electronically-controlled with overdrive includes Driver Shift Control
- Keyless start, push button
- Axle, 3.53 final drive ratio
- Drivetrain, front-wheel drive (FWD models only.)
- Alternator, 130 amps
- Suspension, Ride and Handling
- Steering, power, variable effort, electric
- Exhaust system, rear exit
- Exhaust tip, styled stainless-steel
- Mechanical jack with tools
- Wheels, 18" (45.7 cm) machined-face alloy with Light Argent Metallic pockets
- Tires, P215/55R18 all-season, blackwall
- Tire, compact spare 16" (40.6 cm), located under cargo floor
- Luggage rack, side rails, roof-mounted
- Fascias, front and rear accent color includes rocker moldings
- Headlamps, halogen
- Lamp, LED center high-mounted stop/brake
- Glass, acoustic, laminated windshield
- Glass, deep-tinted
- Windshield, solar absorbing
- Mirrors, outside heated power-adjustable, body-color, manual-folding
- Door handles, body-color with chrome strips
- Wipers, front intermittent with pulse washers
- Wiper, rear intermittent
- Antenna, roof-mounted
- Audio system, Buick Infotainment System, AM/FM stereo, SiriusXM with 8" diagonal Color Touch Screen, includes 2 USB ports, Bluetooth streaming for audio and select phones and Phone Integration for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability for compatible phone
- Audio system feature, 6-speaker system
- SiriusXM Radio enjoy an All Access trial subscription with over 150 channels including commercial-free music, plus sports, news and entertainment. Plus listening on the SiriusXM app, online and at home on compatible connected devices is included, so you'll hear the best SiriusXM has to offer, anywhere life takes you. Welcome to the world of SiriusXM (IMPORTANT: The SiriusXM radio trial package is not provided on vehicles that are ordered for Fleet Daily Rental ("FDR") use. If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Fees and taxes apply. See the SiriusXM Customer Agreement at www.siriusxm.com for complete terms and how to cancel. All fees, content, features, and availability are subject to change.)
- Bluetooth for phone and music personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system, phonebook access, voice recognition for audio, phone, phonebook and music selection, Pandora and Stitcher Smartphone compatible, SiriusXM weather and data services, and software Bluetooth and Smartphone interface upgradeable
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot capable (Terms and limitations apply. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- Seats, front bucket
- Noise control system, active noise cancellation
- QuietTuning Buick exclusive process that consists of acoustically enhanced windshield and side glass, along with numerous noise canceling acoustic treatments to reduce, block and absorb noise and vibration to create a quiet interior cabin
- Seat adjuster, driver 6-way power with manual recline and power lumbar adjustment
- Seat adjuster, front passenger 2-way manual
- Seatback, passenger flat-folding
- Storage, front passenger underseat
- Seat, rear 60/40 split-bench, folding
- Headrests, 2-way adjustable, up/down
- Door sill plate cover, front
- Steering column, tilt and telescopic, adjustable
- Steering wheel, leather-wrapped 3-spoke, color-keyed with theft-deterrent locking feature
- Steering wheel controls, mounted audio and phone interface controls
- Driver Information Center enhanced, 4.2" multi-color display, includes tachometer, speedometer, trip odometer, fuel level, coolant temperature, oil life monitor, battery and compass
- Oil life monitoring system
- Window, power with driver Express-Up/Down
- Window, power with front passenger Express-Down
- Windows, power, rear with Express-Down
- Door locks, power with lockout protection
- Keyless Open, includes extended range Remote Keyless Entry
- Cruise control, electronic with set and resume speed
- Theft-deterrent system, immobilizer, vehicle, PASS-Key III
- Theft-deterrent system, electrical, unauthorized entry
- Air conditioning, single-zone manual
- Air filter, particle
- Defogger, rear-window, electric
- Shift knob, satin silver and chrome
- Glovebox, dual
- Mirror, inside rearview manual day/night with tilt
- Visors, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, covered
- Assist handle, rear
- Lighting, interior, dimming instrument panel cluster
- Lighting, interior, overhead courtesy lamp
- Lighting, interior, rear cargo compartment lamp
- Cargo storage, tray under rear floor
- Buick Connected Access capable (Subject to terms. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
- StabiliTrak, stability control system
- Daytime Running Lamps, separate cavity, LED
- Airbags, frontal and knee for driver and front passenger; seat-mounted side-impact and head-curtain for front and rear seating positions (Always use seat belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- Airbag, Passenger Sensing System, sensor indicator inflatable restraint, front passenger/child presence detector (Always use seat belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- Seat belt, 3-point, driver with load limiter, height adjustable
- Seat belt, 3-point, front passenger with load limiter, height adjustable
- Seat belts, 3-point rear, all seating positions
- Restraint provisions, child Isofix 2 point for outboard seating positions only, point/latch, includes 3 top tether points for all three seating positions
- OnStar and Buick connected services capable (Terms and limitations apply. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- Rear Vision Camera
- Door locks, child security rear, manual
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System, manual learn
- Horn, dual note tone