Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Best-in-class cabin space
- Premium interior features
- Great visibility
- Many safety technologies
Buick Enclave: Everything You Need to Know
About the Buick Enclave:
The Buick Enclave is a three-row midsize crossover. Redesigned for 2018, the Enclave is the largest and most luxurious vehicle in Buick’s lineup. The Enclave is part of a trio of GM crossovers that includes the Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia.
What’s New in the 2019 Buick Enclave?
Redesigned last year, the 2019 Buick Enclave gets only minor updates. These are:
- Entry-level trim renamed Preferred
- New ebony interior for Avenir
- Standard automatic heated steering wheel for Premium, Avenir
The Enclave is available in four trims: Preferred, Essence, Premium, and Avenir. The only drivetrain is a 3.5-liter V6 engine paired with a nine-speed automatic transmission. Output is 310 horsepower and 266 pound-feet of torque.
The EPA measures the Buick’s fuel economy at 18/26 mpg city/highway, and 21 mpg combined for front-wheel drive models. With all-wheel drive the fuel economy drops 1 mpg for all ratings. The Buick Enclave runs on regular octane gasoline.
What Does the 2019 Buick Enclave Compete With?
The Buick Enclave competes with the following SUV crossovers:
The seven-passenger Buick Enclave appeals to families looking for a well-priced premium SUV.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Buick Enclave
With ten years between redesigns, Buick designers worked from a clean slate. The Enclave no longer looks like a tired minivan. The latest Enclave is lower, leaner, and lighter than the
previous version. Although not quite head-turning, the Buick Enclave does showcase a sleek style. Even with chrome bits everywhere, the Enclave is expressive without being excessive.
Eighteen-inch alloy wheels come standard. All-wheel-drive-equipped Premium and Essence Enclaves can add 20-inch wheels. Avenir models receive 20-inch wheels as standard. Finishes and designs vary by trim level, though.
Dual exhausts, a rear spoiler, rocker panel moldings and roof-mounted side rails give the Enclave a sporty look. A trailer package that includes a hitch, a heavy-duty cooling system and a 5,000-pound towing capacity is optional.
Interior Style in the 2019 Buick Enclave
The interior of the Buick Enclave is as open as it is opulent. Its 97.6 cubic-feet of capacity behind the first row beats the competition. The Enclave can double as a road-ready man cave or a tailgating treasure trove. By comparison, the Acura MDX offers 90.9 cu.-ft.
The Enclave’s seven seats can fit seven adults, too. The current 2-2-3 arrangement is more comfortable, accessible, and functional than the old second-row bench seat. The passenger side second-row bucket seat has an extra sliding mechanism. This allows for third-row access even with a car seat installed. The LATCH system in the Buick Enclave is easily accessible as well.
Heated front seats come standard, as does tri-zone climate control and Buick’s QuietTuning. Many soundproofing efforts, such as triple door seals, provide a quiet cabin.
Convenient USB ports are in every row, and there are several storage cubbies. Large windows and an optional power moonroof with a rear skylight bring in natural light. To improve interior air quality, the Buick Enclave comes with a humidity sensor. And all but the base model gets an air ionizer that eliminates odors. No maintenance or filter replacement required.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Buick Enclave?
The 2019 Enclave comes with many of the latest technologies. All models have an 8.0-inch infotainment touchscreen, six USB ports, smartphone integration, and a 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot for up to seven devices.
Other standard features include:
- Power-adjustable front seats
- 4.2-inch driver information cluster
- Remote start
- Keyless entry
- Push-button start
- Steering wheel-mounted controls
- Interior humidity sensor
- 8.0-inch configurable instrument cluster
- 8.0-inch color multimedia display with navigation
- Rear infotainment with optional DVD player
- Bose ten-speaker premium audio
- Wireless charging
- Ventilated seats
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Buick Enclave?
The Buick Enclave offers many safety and driver-assistance technologies. Just not on the base model. The Enclave Preferred includes a tire pressure monitoring system, a rearview camera with dynamic guidelines and rear park assist. Other safety equipment comes in these packages:
- Driver Confidence: Blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert
- Driver Confidence II: Adds lane keep assist, lane departure warning, forward collision alert, following-distance indicator, automatic emergency front braking, safety seat alert, automatic high beams, and front and rear park assist.
- Avenir Technology: Adds adaptive cruise control, front automatic braking, premium suspension, and a real-time damping system.
Available as a standalone option is a rear camera mirror. It uses a unique lens to project a wide-angle display on the regular rearview mirror. Also, Surround Vision is included, which provides a 360-degree overhead view of the Buick
What is the 2019 Buick Enclave Like to Drive?
A three-row crossover is not a race car. Yet the Buick Enclave is not boring to drive. Despite its large size, the Enclave drives like a much smaller vehicle. The Enclave definitely isn’t your grandfather’s Buick or even your father’s Buick, for that matter.
The 3.5L V6 engine offers plenty of pep. And shifts from the nine-speed automatic are hardly noticeable. Rear-seat passengers may complain that the ride feels a little floaty at times. But it’s not the worst we’ve experienced.
As part of the redesign, an electronic shifter replaces the traditional gear shifter we’ve come to know. The Buick Enclave still has a shifter of sorts, but there is a learning curve.
For instance, Park is a top-side button command and Reverse requires an up-and-left maneuver. If you have the habit of resting your hand on the shift knob, you could accidentally activate the Park setting. Thankfully, this is not possible while the vehicle is in motion.
Should I Buy a 2019 Buick Enclave?
The 2019 Buick Enclave is a luxurious vehicle without the high price tag. The Avenir model is especially nice with high-end materials, and a premium suspension with real-time damping for an improved ride.
Should I buy a Used Buick Enclave? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
Older Buick Enclave models have had issues with reliability, and have not always aged well. With so many positive changes to the second-generation, shop around for a 2018 model. There have been no significant updates since that redesign.
How Much Does the 2019 Buick Enclave Cost?
Pricing for the 2019 Buick Enclave Preferred starts at $40,000 MSRP and increases to $53,500 for the Avenir model. Also, except for the Avenir, any color other than Summit White costs additional $495 or more. All-wheel drive costs extra, too, and is not available on the Preferred trim.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Buick Enclave
- Peppy V6 engine
- Excellent visibility
- Spacious and comfortable interior
- Drives “smaller” than its size suggests
- Quiet cabin
- Rear camera mirror uncomfortable to use for extended time
- Electronic shifter takes getting used to
- Few safety features are standard
The History of Buick Enclave: 11 Years of Enclave
The Buick Enclave first appeared as a concept vehicle at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show. It became a production car in 2008. The Enclave was designed to replace several Buick vehicles including the Terraza minivan, Rendezvous SUV and Rainier SUV. Part of the General Motors family, the Buick Enclave shares underpinnings with the Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia.
The first-generation Enclave carried eight passengers thanks to a second-row bench. But the three-passenger seat was removed during its 2018 redesign.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Buick Enclave
- Body Style
- Sport Utility Vehicle
- 3.6L V6
- 310 hp
- 9-speed automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Tinted Glass
- Engine, 3.6L V6, SIDI, VVT stop/start (310 hp [231 kW] @ 6800 rpm, 266 lb-ft of torque [359 N-m] @ 2800 rpm)
- Transmission, 9-speed automatic
- Axle, 3.49 final drive ratio
- Keyless Start
- Drivetrain, front wheel drive
- Alternator, 170 amps
- GVWR, 6160 lbs. (2800 kg)
- Trailering provisions, 1500 lbs. (680 kg)
- Suspension, Premium Ride, 4-wheel independent
- Electronic Precision Shift
- Steering, power, electric
- Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
- Brake, parking, electronic
- E10 Fuel capable
- Exhaust, dual-outlet stainless-steel with bright tips integrated in fascia
- Emissions, evaporative system, level 3
- Wheels, 18" (45.7 cm) aluminum, painted
- Tires, 255/65R18 SL, all-season, blackwall
- Wheel, spare, 18" x 4.5" (45.7 cm x 11.4 cm) steel
- Tire, compact spare, T135/70R18, blackwall
- Roof rails, bright aluminized, integrated
- Spoiler, rear
- Moldings, rocker panel, unique accent color
- Moldings, bodyside, bright, chrome
- Mirrors, outside heated power-adjustable, manual-folding and driver-side auto-dimming, body-color with integrated turn signal indicators
- Headlamps, LED includes LED Buick Evonik signature accents with LED bi-functional projector, side marker and reflex, and LED Park lamp in fascia
- Headlamp control, automatic on and off
- Lamps, turn signal indicator
- Glass, deep-tinted
- Windshield, acoustic laminated
- Wipers, front intermittent
- Wiper, rear intermittent with washer
- Door handles, body-color with chrome insert
- Liftgate, power, hands free with projected logo (Buick tri-shield)
- Audio system, 8" diagonal Buick Infotainment System includes multi-touch display, AM/FM/SiriusXM stereo, Bluetooth streaming audio for music and most phones, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay capability for compatible phones, advanced voice recognition, in-vehicle apps, personalized profiles for infotainment and vehicle settings (Does not include (U2K) SiriusXM Radio.)
- Active Noise Cancellation
- Audio system feature, 6-speaker system
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot capable (Terms and limitations apply. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- QuietTuning Buick process to reduce, block and absorb noise and vibration utilizing ultra-dissipative acoustic materials and Active Noise Cancellation to create a quiet interior cabin
- Audio system feature, USB ports, 6 total first row includes 1 auxiliary, dual USB (1Amp charge and data); 2nd row includes dual USB charging (2.1 Amps); 3rd row includes dual USB charging in rear outboard positions
- Seats, front buckets
- Seating, 7-passenger (2-2-3 seating configuration), includes 2nd row 40/40 Captains chairs with armrests featuring left seat fore/aft adjustment, right seat Pitch Slide for 3rd row access with fore/aft adjustment and 3rd row 60/40 split bench
- Cloth seat trim
- Seats, heated driver and front passenger
- Seat adjuster, driver 8-way power
- Seat adjuster, front passenger, 6-way power
- Seat adjuster, power driver lumbar control
- Seat adjuster, power passenger lumbar control
- Head restraints, front, adjustable (up/down)
- Seat, rear 60/40 split-folding third row bench, manual folding
- Head restraint, rear center seat
- Floor mats, all three rows
- Sill plates, bright
- Steering column, tilt and telescoping
- Steering wheel, leather-wrapped
- Steering wheel controls, mounted controls for audio, phone and cruise
- Engine oil indicator
- Windows, power driver with Express-Up/Down, front and rear passenger Express-Down
- Instrumentation includes Driver Information Center, tachometer, speedometer, fuel, coolant temperature, battery, gear selector, outside air temperature and compass display
- Interactive Drive Control System includes Stability Control Button and AWD Button
- Driver Information Center, enhanced, 4.2" multi-color display includes speed and trip odometer, fuel economy and range, oil life, tire pressure, battery voltage and timer
- Compass display located in the Driver Information Center
- Door locks, power programmable with lockout protection
- Keyless Open
- Universal Home Remote includes garage door opener, 3-channel programmable
- Cruise control
- Remote vehicle starter system extended range
- Remote panic alarm
- Theft-deterrent system vehicle, PASS-Key III, engine immobilizer with content theft alarm
- Air conditioning, tri-zone automatic climate control with individual climate settings for driver, right front passenger and rear seat occupants
- Air conditioning, rear
- Air conditioning, refrigerant
- Sensor, cabin humidity
- Defogger, rear-window electric
- Air filtration system
- Glovebox, passenger-side of instrument panel
- Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming
- Visors, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors
- Storage system, rear cargo area under floor
- Buick Connected Access capable (Subject to terms. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- Traction control, electronic
- StabiliTrak Stability Control System with roll over mitigation
- Daytime Running Lamps, LED
- Airbags, dual-stage frontal and side-impact for driver and front passenger driver inboard seat-mounted side-impact and roof-rail side-impact for all rows in outboard seating positions (Always use seat belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- Passenger Sensing System (Always use seat belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- OnStar and Buick connected services capable (Terms and limitations apply. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- HD Rear Vision Camera
- Rear Park Assist
- Child seat restraint system, rear facing
- Door locks, rear child security lock, manual child lock system (rear door latch)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System includes Tire Fill Alert
- Tool kit, road emergency
- Horn, dual-note