Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Updated exterior styling
- Redesigned driver-oriented cockpit
- Available M Performance dynamics
- Increased interior comfort and cargo capacity
BMW Z4 Roadster: Everything You Need to Know
About the BMW Z4:
The BMW Z4 is a two-seat roadster. The Z model line, however, has been offered in multiple variants throughout its thirty-year history, including as a coupe. But the Z4 has only been around since 2002. Last appearing in the lineup in 2016, the BMW Z4 returns for the 2019 model year. Its reappearance coincides with the introduction of the all-new Toyota Supra, with which the BMW shares its underpinnings.
What’s New in the 2019 BMW Z4?
The 2019 BMW Z4 Roadster is all new. The vehicle has been completely reworked from the chassis and suspension to the driver-oriented cockpit. It is rear-wheel-drive only and will be offered with two new engines.
The base engine is a twin-turbo 2.0-liter four-cylinder rated at 255 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. This engine will power the sDrive30i model. An available M Performance 3.0-liter inline-six will outfit M40i models producing 382 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque.
Although both will be sold during the 2019 calendar year, the 30i went on sale in the spring as a 2019 model while the M40i is considered a 2020 model due to its later availability.
The all-new BMW Z4 Roadster sees the following updates:
- Newly developed chassis.
- New sport steering.
- New eight-speed automatic transmission.
- Available M Performance drivetrain.
- Updated exterior design.
- Next-generation BMW iDrive infotainment system.
What Does the 2019 BMW Z4 Compete With?
The BMW Z4 competes with the following vehicles:
The BMW Z4 is a low-volume seller. The market for specialty vehicles like convertible sports cars remains a small one and is essentially left to the luxury brands. Apples-to-apples comparisons will not be an exact science, but the segment does offer a selection of choices.
Exterior Design of the 2019 BMW Z4
The 2019 BMW Z4 features a redesigned exterior that is more aggressive in demeanor. The new front end is outfitted with larger air intakes and a broader version of BMW’s signature kidney grille. The headlights have been positioned at the utmost outer edges to stretch the vehicle’s front profile. Equipped with standard LED, the headlights also feature a new-for-BMW vertical-design.
An expressive character line runs the length of the vehicle to elongate the Z4’s appearance. Prominent air vents behind the front wheel arches further highlight its wide, muscular stance.
The soft top comes in standard black or optional silver. Operational at up to 31 mph, the power-rooftop can open or close within ten seconds. An integrated slimline trunk-lid spoiler and trapezoidal exhaust pipes cap off the Z4’s updated sheet metal.
Interior Style in the 2019 BMW Z4
The 2019 BMW Z4 updates its interior with a more drive-focused cockpit. The engine start button has been repositioned within the restructured center console, which also features the gear selector, iDrive rotary controller, e-brake, and soft-top controls.
Power-adjustable sport seats are standard with 0.9 inches of additional fore and aft length. BMW M sport seats are available as an option. Vinyl seating surfaces are standard in the Z4 with available Vernasca leather. M Sport models feature Vernasca-Alcantara upholstery.
The trunk capacity is now 9.9 cubic feet, regardless of the rooftop’s positioning. This is fifty percent more cargo space than the previous generation.
The 2019 BMW Z4 also offers these available features:
- Dual-zone climate control.
- Heated and ventilated seats.
- Ambient lighting.
- Harman Kardon twelve-speaker surround sound.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 BMW Z4?
The 2019 BMW Z4 is equipped with BMW Live Cockpit Professional, which combines a new display and controls. Paired with the latest-generation of iDrive, the new Z4 features a 12.3-inch driver information display along with a 10.25-inch infotainment screen.
All can be accessed via the haptic-feedback controller, center console touchscreen, or voice commands. Both digital displays are configurable and, based on drive mode, will feature various background and screen styles.
The 2019 Z4 offers the following available technologies:
- BMW Cloud connected services.
- BMW Connected app accessibility.
- 20 GB hard-drive multimedia system.
- USB ports.
- Apple CarPlay compatibility.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 BMW Z4?
Although crash safety ratings are not available for any model-year Z4, the 2019 Z4 offers a variety of driver-assistance technologies. Standard safety features include forward collision warning, daytime pedestrian detection, automatic emergency braking, and lane departure warning. Also, for the first time in the Z4 Roadster, a head-up display is available.
Other available safety features in the 2019 BMW Z4 are:
- Adaptative LED headlights.
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go function.
- Blind-spot monitoring.
- Parking assist.
- Reverse assist.
- Rear collision protection.
- Rear cross-traffic alert.
- Speed limit information display.
What is the 2019 BMW Z4 Like to Drive?
The 2019 BMW Z4 sits on a new chassis and suspension. A pair of new engines are mated to a new transmission. Although a manual is no longer offered, paddle shifters are standard. The eight-speed automatic is a sport transmission with a wider gear ratio spread. Lower gears feature shorter ratios for improved and more efficient acceleration. The M40i model can be configured with M Performance shift characteristics.
Both engine variants offer more performance than their predecessors. The standard 2.0-liter has 15 horsepower and 35 pound-feet of torque more than the previous model. With 255 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of peak torque, the Z4 sDrive30i reaches 60 mph in 5.2 seconds.
The M40i sees a 47-horsepower increase with its 3.0-liter six-cylinder. The new engine features quicker response from the turbocharger along with increased psi with update direct injection technology. With 382 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque, the Z4 M Performance derivative goes from zero to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds.
The BMW Z4 M40i also is equipped with an M Sport adaptive suspension, brakes, and rear differential as standard. These M Sport features can be optioned on the Z4 sDrive30i as well as part of a Track package. Driver-selectable modes are Comfort, Sport, and Sport+. The BMW Z4 features mixed-size tires. Standard are 18 inches with optional 19-inch versions, but rear tires will be wider to better accommodate the update chassis tuning and improve directional control.
Running on premium fuel, the 2019 BMW Z4 sDrive30i is EPA-rated at 25 city, 32 highway, and 38 combined mpg. There are no fuel economy estimates available for the M40i.
Should I Buy a 2019 BMW Z4?
Retuned to feel even better behind the wheel, the 2019 BMW Z4 Roadster offers big German performance in a small convertible package. Those looking for a vehicle not part of the Volkswagen family might find the new Z4 appealing. Its dynamics are engaging and early reviewers say the suspension is more pliable than its Toyota Supra platform sibling. As a two-door coupe, the Supra offers a stiffer ride than the Z4 whose performance leans more toward touring than track.
Should I Buy a Used BMW Z4? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The BMW Z4 Roadster has seen quite a drop in sales during the past decade. Its strongest year was 2003 when more than 20,000 units were sold in the U.S. By comparison, the last available model year (2016) saw barely 1,000 units sold. Deals might be more plentiful with the first-generation roadster but later years could still offer steals as prospective buyers eye the 2019 models.
How Much Does the 2019 BMW Z4 Cost?
The 2019 BMW Z4 sDrive30i starts at $49,700 for the Sport Line model while the M Sport trim starts at $52,650. A few option packages can be added, including the Track Handling package, priced at $2,450. The Z4 M40i will start at $63,700. A $995 delivery fee will be added to all Z4 purchases.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 BMW Z4
- Performance-oriented styling
- Driver-focused cockpit
- Enhanced dynamics and handling
- Improved interior comfort
- Increased cargo capacity
- No manual transmission
- No Android Auto
- No retractable hard top option
- No crash safety ratings
The History of BMW Z4: 17 Years of Z4
The BMW Z nameplate has been around since 1989, but the Z4 specifically was introduced in 2002. The first-generation Z4 was available in both roadster and coupe variants. By the second generation, however, the Z4 was offered with a retractable hard top. This eliminated the need for different body styles.
Dropped from the BMW lineup in 2016, a redesigned Z4 was introduced for the 2019 model year. Now a soft-top roadster, the third-generation BMW Z4 shares its platform, suspension, and powertrains with the all-new 2020 Toyota Supra coupe. Although tuned differently, both are built by Magna Steyr, an automotive manufacturer based in Graz, Austria.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 BMW Z4
- Body Style
- 2.0L 4-Cylinder 16V TwinPower Turbo
- 255 hp
- 8-Speed Sport Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L 4-Cylinder 16V TwinPower Turbo
- Transmission: 8-Speed Sport Automatic
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 3.15 Axle Ratio
- 80-Amp/Hr Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Regenerative 170 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 13.7 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" x 8" Front & 18" x 9" Rear V-Spoke -inc: Orbit gray (style 770)
- Tires: 225/45R18 Fr & 255/40R18 Rr Performance -inc: Non run-flat
- Aluminum Wheels w/Machined w/Painted Accents Accents
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Auto Dimming Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Power Convertible Top w/Lining, Glass Rear Window, Fixed Roll-Over Protection and Manual Wind Blocker
- Metal-Look Grille
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Auto-Leveling Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Radio Data System, External Memory Control and 20 Gb Internal Memory
- 10 Speakers
- 205w Regular Amplifier
- Automatic Equalizer
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Streaming Audio
- Fixed Diversity Antenna
- Radio Control US
- Hi-Fi Sound System
- Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Real-Time Traffic Display
- M Sport Front Seats
- Power Front Seats -inc: 2 presets for exterior mirror and seat positions
- 12-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Cushion Extension
- 12-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Cushion Extension
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Temperature, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Sport Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Front Cigar Lighter(s)
- Interior Lock Disable
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Residual Heat Recirculation
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Piano Black Instrument Panel Insert, Piano Black Door Panel Insert, Piano Black Console Insert, Piano Black/Metal-Look Interior Accents and Leatherette Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- SensaTec Seat Upholstery
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- Audio and HVAC
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Windows
- Tracker System
- BMW Assist eCall
- ConnectedDrive Services
- Apple CarPlay Compatibility w/1 Year Trial
- Live Cockpit Pro w/Navi
- BMW TeleServices
- Connected Package Pro
- Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Fixed Front Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Active Protection
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Side Airbag Head Extension, Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Childseat Sensor
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera