Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- All-new platform means more interior room.
- More powerful engines.
- Startling performance.
- Off-road capable.
- Loaded with high tech features.
BMW X5: Everything You Need to Know
About the BMW X5:
The BMW X5 was the German automaker's first SUV, introduced almost 20 years ago. Since that time, it has gathered a strong following among luxury buyers. This is due to its practicality and all-weather capability with little compromise in terms of comfort or performance.
The BMW X5 is notable for its exceptional straight-line speed, respectable handling, and overall versatility. This makes it a good buy for well-heeled families seeking a do-everything daily driver.
What’s New in the 2019 BMW X5?
The all-new 2019 BMW X5 has made substantial improvements across the board to its features list and drivetrain details.
The 2019 BMW X5 is also a bit larger in every dimension as compared to the previous model, translating into more interior room for both passengers and cargo.
Other notable additions and updates to the BMW X5 include:
- A 340 horsepower, 3.0-liter turbocharged six-cylinder engine (xDrive40i) that also generates 330 lb-ft of torque and returns fuel mileage of 20-mpg city and 26-mpg highway.
- A 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 (xDrive50i) that grinds out 456 horsepower and 479 lb-ft of torque, dropping fuel efficiency to 17-mpg city and 22-mpg highway.
- An Off-Road package that consists of an adjustable air suspension system, a locking rear differential, all-terrain drive modes, and skid plates.
- Standard adaptive suspension.
- Optional rear-wheel steering.
- Live Cockpit Professional, which pairs two 12.3-inch LCD panels under iDrive infotainment system control.
- New suite of driver's aides and safety features.
What Does the 2019 BMW X5 Compete With?
The 2019 BMW X5 competes with the following vehicles:
The most popular version of the 2019 BMW X5 is the xDrive40i in the Executive Tier, which pairs the powerful six-cylinder engine with features such as:
- four-zone automatic climate control.
- keyless entry and ignition.
- a head-up display.
- adaptive LED headlights.
The BMW X5 is good for those who want to take family plus a lot of gear without compromising on luxury.
Exterior Design of the 2019 BMW X5
Although the 2019 BMW X5 has been redesigned, its look remains familiar to anyone who has seen last year's model. Even its increase in size is difficult to spot.
Still, the small additions to the BMW X5 add up to elevate it past the older SUV without breaking family ties. LED headlights are now standard, while both the front and the rear of the X5 have relocated lighting and cooling vents. More distinct are the changes in the sheet metal when viewing the new BMW X5 in profile.
Entry-level xLine trims feature 19-inch wheels and black fender lips around the wheel arches. There is also aluminum trim along the bottom of the vehicle. M Sport editions move to a more aggressive front fascia and use color-cued wheel openings. A set of 20-inch rims are also standard (although a 22-inch rim upgrade is available). Overall, the vehicle is quite handsome, befitting its large SUV status.
It's also worth mentioning the vehicle's 2-piece tailgate, which splits the cargo opening to create a small dam at the bottom. This is meant to stop parcels and grocery bags from spilling after opening. It's a hassle to have an extra step to fully access the cargo area.
Interior Style in the YMM
The 2019 BMW X5 makes bigger changes strides inside its cabin. A pair of large LCD screens command most of the pilot's attention when using iDrive for most vehicle functions.
BMW has improved the materials used throughout the entire cabin of the X5, making it on par with rivals from Mercedes-Benz and Audi in terms of quality. Ambient lighting and easy-to-use buttons and dials round out the BMW X5's cockpit upgrades. That being said, the center console switches feel a little less special than the rest of the vehicle.
There's ample space fore and aft for adult riders, and the seats are supportive and comfortable. The 2019 BMW X5 can be ordered with a tiny third row squeezed into the cargo area. Unless you intend to haul either very young children or pets it's best to consider the SUV a five-passenger vehicle.
Should you wish to fold the rear row forward, you’ll discover considerable space for oversized items. A split-opening center console offers respectable storage up front. Latch attachments can be found for the second row.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 BMW X5?
The 2019 BMW X5 is filled with technology both inside the cabin and underneath the skin.
The 2019 BMW X5 can be stuffed with an incredible level of tech and convenience features, including:
- Surround-view camera system
- 4-zone automatic climate control
- Upgraded Laserlight LED headlights
- 4G wi-fi hotspot
- Several self-driving features
- Night vision
- Expanded head-up display
- Automatic parking
The 2019 BMW X5 comes standard with:
- Automatic climate control
- 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Panoramic sunroof
- Keyless entry
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 BMW X5?
The new BMW X5 provides a strong list of active safety features as standard equipment. These include:
- Forward collision warning with automatic braking. This system scans the road ahead and can stop the SUV if an obstacle is detected.
- Automatic high beam headlights. This feature dims the brights if other vehicles are nearby while driving at night.
- Blind spot warning. An electronic eye that watches to the left and right of the vehicle for unseen traffic.
- Lane departure warning. A notification is provided if the SUV departs from its lane unexpectedly.
In addition, the 2019 BMW X5 can be had with the following safety options:
- Traffic jam assistant. This allows for limited self-driving with your hands off of the wheel when traveling at low speeds, following the vehicle ahead of you.
- Emergency stop assistant. An all-stop feature for the vehicle that can be used in the event the driver is incapacitated.
- Adaptive cruise control. A feature that maintains a safe distance between traffic ahead and the SUV all the way down to a stop.
Active lane keeping assist. A self-steering system that keeps the BMW X5 centered in its lane.
What is the 2019 BMW X5 Like to drive?
The 2019 BMW X5 is remarkably quick regardless of which engine is specified. It can be ordered with equipment that makes it handle far better than its ponderous weight and size might suggest.
The xDrive40i version of the BMW X5 hits 60-mph in 5.3 seconds, while the V8 model is nearly a full second faster. Both numbers can embarrass a sport sedan, let alone other luxury SUVs. When outfitted with its M-spec adaptive suspension system the xDrive50i model is well-controlled when driven quickly. If the off-road package is ordered instead, then the BMW X5 gains the ability to ford 20 inches of water and can roll over rough terrain with 8.7 inches of ground clearance. All-wheel drive is standard with every X5.
The 2019 BMW X5 also provides comfortable luxury transportation regardless of road conditions, distance, or weather. It is an excellent road trip companion and gridlock warrior.
Should I Buy a 2019 BMW X5?
The 2019 BMW X5 finds itself in the upper tier of luxury SUVs with its latest redesign. If you are comfortable with the high price tag and BMW's equally-expensive options, the X5 is a competitive choice.
Should I Buy a Used BMW X5?
The previous-generation BMW X5 was not quite as interesting to drive. Reliability concerns on older models is also something to keep in mind when shopping for a used X5. If you can find one as part of a certified pre-owned program with a full warranty, it may be worth considering. Make sure to test out other options as well.
How Much Does the New YMM Cost?
The 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i starts at an MSRP of $60,700, while the xDrive50i will set you back $75,750. It is currently on sale.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 BMW X5
- Sumptuous interior on top-trim models
- Excellent power from both engine options
- Standard all-wheel drive
- Extensive list of safety and tech features
- Good passenger room front and rear
- Comfortable to drive in any situation
- Price can escalate quickly when adding options.
- Fuel consumption for V8 engine is thirsty.
- Third row of seating is too small for all but very young children.
- Styling is very similar to outgoing model.
The History of TK Make Model: 19 years of Model
Debuting for the 2000 model year, the X5 was the first 'sports-activity' vehicle to wear a BMW badge. Originally offered to counter the Mercedes-Benz M-Class, the BMW X5 would evolve into a wagon alternative combining all-wheel drive stability with respectable cargo room and copious horsepower. The BMW X5 would go through three generations before its 2019 redesign, spawning both diesel-powered and M high performance models in the process.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 BMW X5
- Body Style
- Sports Activity Vehicle
- 3.0L DOHC I-6 24V TwinPower Turbo
- 335 hp
- Sport Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.0L DOHC I-6 24V TwinPower Turbo
- Transmission: Sport Automatic
- Axle Ratio TBD
- GVWR: TBD
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and STEPTRONIC Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic w/Driver Control Ride Control Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 21.9 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 19" x 9" V-Spoke (Style 734)
- Tires: 265/50R19 Run-Flat AS
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st And 2nd Row Sunroof w/Power Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Metal-Look Bodyside Insert and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Aluminum Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Driver Auto Dimming, Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum/Composite Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Metal-Look Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Power Liftgate/Tailgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Auto-Leveling Directionally Adaptive Auto High-Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- Cornering Lights
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM Stereo
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System, External Memory Control and 20 Gb Internal Memory
- 10 Speakers
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- CD Player Prep
- Hi-Fi Sound System
- Satellite Radio Preparation
- Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Real-Time Traffic Display
- Sport Seats
- Power Front Seats
- Heated Front Seats
- 4-Way Power Driver Seat -inc: Power Cushion Extension and Seatback Side Bolster Support
- 4-Way Power Passenger Seat -inc: Power Seatback Side Bolster Support and Cushion Extension
- 40-20-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- ConnectedDrive Services Selective Service Internet Access
- Sport Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel w/Auto Tilt-Away
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Interior Lock Disable
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Genuine Wood/Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Genuine Wood/Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Genuine Wood/Metal-Look Console Insert, Metal-Look Interior Accents and Leatherette Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- SensaTec Upholstery
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Roll-Up Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Driver Seat, Door Mirrors, Steering Wheel and Head Restraints
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows and Sunroof/Convertible Roof
- Integrated Navigation System w/Voice Activation
- Tracker System
- Smart Device Integration
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Power w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Lumbar Support
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- BMW Assist eCall Emergency Sos
- Park Distance Control Front And Rear Parking Sensors
- Active Blind Spot Detection Blind Spot Sensor
- Frontal Collision Warning w/City Collision Mitigation and Cross-Traffic Alert Rear
- Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera