Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Lots of standard safety features on most models
- Great reliability
- Solid resale value
- Lots of interior space and storage areas for passengers
BMW X2: Everything You Need to Know
About the BMW X2:
The BMW X2 is a five-passenger compact luxury crossover that is sporty and fun-to-drive even if it doesn’t offer a whole lot of interior space. BMW calls the X2 a Sport Activity Vehicle (or SAV) rather than an SUV.
The 2019 BMW X2 is part of the first generation of the vehicle that was initially introduced in 2018.
The BMW X2 comes in three different trim levels:
- BMW X2 sDrive28i: This version comes with BMW’s 2.0-liter twin turbo inline four-cylinder engine and front wheel drive. It comes as standard with an 8-speed automatic transmission.
- BMW X2 xDrive 28i: This version gets the same engine and transmission, as well as all-wheel drive.
- BMW X2 M35i: This version is new to the X2 line-up for 2019, and it is the sportier version of the X2. It comes with a 302-horsepower version of the same turbocharged engine available on the other trims.
What’s New in the 2019 BMW X2?
The 2019 BMW X2 remains largely unchanged for 2019, though the addition of the new M35i version is totally new. This version gets an M Sport suspension, added grey exterior accents, body colored fender flares and rocker panels and sport bucket seats in addition to the increased horsepower.
The EPA estimates that the 2019 BMW X2 23 miles per gallon in the city and 32 miles per gallon on the highway in its base form. All-wheel drive lowers only the city MPG giving the BMW X2 just 29 miles per gallon on the highway. The new M35i version gets an estimated 21 miles per gallon city and 31 miles per gallon on the highway.
What Does the BMW X2 Compete With?
The BMW X2 competes with the following compact cars:
The BMW X2 is a great car for new families with small kids who won’t mind cramped back seat space. It’s also great for people who want a small SUV with plenty of performance and driving dynamics.
Exterior Design of the BMW X2
The BMW X2 is a newer addition to the BMW line-up. It has an angular, muscular-looking exterior but it is smaller and lower than the X1.
The BMW X2 is 3.2 inches shorter, and 2.8 inches lower, than the BMW X1, yet it has the same wheelbase. It has unique side sculpting, and the characteristic BMW Roundel is placed on the C-Pillar, behind the rear window. In many ways, the BMW X2 looks a lot like a racy wagon.
At the nose of the BMW X2 sits a redesigned, more angular, kidney grille that gives the X2 slightly less of an Angry Birds appearance.
The X2 sDrive and xDrive 28i are offered with 10 different colors, while the M35i only comes in five color choices.
Interior Style in the BMW X2
The interior of the BMW X2 remains mostly the same as the 2018 model. At the base X2 sDrive 28i you get power seats, a faux-leather interior, and optional Sirius XM radio.
While it borrows a lot of bits and pieces from the X1, the X2 feels all its own inside. The seats are supportive and comfortable in the front, especially with BMW's adjustable thigh support system. The back seats, however, are cramped—especially for taller passengers since the sloping roofline cuts into headroom. Mind you, this is pretty typical for vehicles in this size class. Competitors don't offer much better.
Materials inside the X2 are high quality, and while there are some hard plastics and rubbers on the lower trim models, it's not offensive. BMW has always designed its vehicles around the driver, and the X2 is no different. Everything is within easy reach of the driver's seat.
Visibility is decent enough out of the X2, but the one issue we have with the X2 is that that wide C-Pillar makes for a rather large blind spot when changing lanes.
Cargo space in the X2 is relatively good with 21. 6 cubic feet behind the second-row seats. The floor of the rear deck lifts up to reveal more space for storage should you need it.
What Technology Comes in the BMW X2?
The 2019 BMW X2 comes packed with quite a bit of technology at its entry level. You get USB ports, a touchscreen/knob-based infotainment system called iDrive, adaptive cruise control, and a rearview camera.
That rearview camera is particularly useful since seeing out the back of the vehicle is difficult at best because the rear window is so small.
One of the negatives of the X2 is that you have to pay a subscription to get Apple CarPlay—which in today's day and age makes no sense. On top of that, if you are an Android user, you are totally out of luck in the X2. It doesn't support Android Auto.
You do get voice controls in the X2, and it performs reasonably well. Some navigation commands though are better just typed in since the system won’t recognize unique street names.
There are a few packages you can add to the X2 to continue to add features. At the premium level, you get a head-up display and navigation with real-time traffic.
What Safety Features are in the BMW X2?
The BMW X2 comes standard with some pretty decent safety features. They include:
- Pedestrian detection
- Forward collision warning
- Stability and traction control
- Impact sensors that automatically detect a crash and then disconnect the battery, fuel pump, alternator, and starter, and then turn on the hazard lights and unlock the doors.
Recently, IIHS named the BMW X2 a Top Safety Pick. NHTSA has not yet rated the 2019 BMW X2.
What is the BMW X2 Like to Drive?
On the road, the BMW X2 is enjoyable to drive. It is sporty and fun. Steering is sharp and direct, there is more than enough power to make merging in fast-moving traffic a breeze. The suspension can be a bit rough on bumpy roads, but it makes for a more connected feeling on twisting mountain roads.
All-wheel drive is optional on the X2, and unless you live in snowier climates, it's not necessary. The M35i version is quick but not nearly as quick as the Mercedes-Benz GLA45 AMG. While BMW calls it an SAV, it handles more like a car than a crossover, which is a welcome change.
The one major complaint that continually comes up about the X2 is that the visibility out the rear and sides is rather bad. The large C-Pillar and tiny rear window make lane changes a bit hairy, and BMW doesn’t offer the X2 with lane-changing assistance which proves to be somewhat dangerous for both you as a driver, and anyone else on the road.
Should I Buy a Current BMW X2?
Sure, you should buy a current BMW X2 if you want a hatch/SUV hybrid that has some unique features and good looks. If you can swing the added Convenience or Premium package, it makes the BMW X2 that much more enjoyable to drive.
Should I buy a Used BMW X2?
Since this is only the second model year of the BMW X2, there are not many used X2s on the market. If you find one though, it could be worth a look since it will likely have low mileage and still be covered by BMW’s four-year/50,000 mile warranty.
Plus BMW is one of the few automakers who still offers complimentary regularly scheduled maintenance.
How Much Does the BMW X2 Cost?
The 2019 BMW X2 starts around $36,400 plus destination.
To step into the BMW X2 xDrive 28i you’ll need to pony up $38,400. The top of the line M35i version will cost you $46,450 before destination.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 BMW X2
- Fun to drive
- Great looking exterior
- Sporty and quick
- Poor rearward visibility thanks to the wide C-Pillar and the small rear window
- All-wheel drive is an added option and cost
- Android Auto is not available.
- Limited rear seat room
The History of the BMW X2: Urban and Sporty
The BMW X2 debuted in 2017 and hit the showroom floor in 2018. While American’s aren’t generally fans of a wagon, the X2 has done relatively well, though the larger X3 outshines it. The X2 is part of BMW’s wide array of SUV and crossover offerings that range from small to extra large.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 BMW X2
- Body Style
- Sports Activity Coupe
- 2.0L TwinPower Turbo 4-Cylinder 16V DOHC
- 228 hp
- STEPTRONIC Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L TwinPower Turbo 4-Cylinder 16V DOHC
- Transmission: STEPTRONIC Automatic -inc: sport and manual shift modes and Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC)
- 3.20 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 4,597 lbs
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 80-Amp/Hr Maintenance-Free Battery
- Regenerative 210 Amp Alternator
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- 899lbs. Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 16.1 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" x 7.5" Y-Spoke (Style 566)
- Tires: 225/50R18
- Runflat Tires
- All-Season Tires
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Bodyside Insert, Body-Colored Bodyside Cladding and Body-Colored Wheel Well Trim
- Aluminum Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Programmable Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Auto-Leveling Directionally Adaptive Auto High-Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- Cornering Lights
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: Professional w/Bluetooth/USB
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System and External Memory Control
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- Satellite Radio Preparation
- Radio Control US
- Hi-Fi Sound System
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Real-Time Traffic Display
- Front Sport Bucket Seats
- Power Front Seats
- 2-Way Power Driver Seat -inc: Power Seatback Side Bolster Support and Manual Cushion Extension
- 2-Way Power Passenger Seat -inc: Power Seatback Side Bolster Support and Manual Cushion Extension
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Oil Temperature, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- ConnectedDrive Services Selective Service Internet Access
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Interior Lock Disable
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Aluminum Instrument Panel Insert, Aluminum Door Panel Insert, Piano Black Console Insert and Aluminum Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- SensaTec Upholstery
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Rigid Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Driver Seat and Door Mirrors
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Windows
- Integrated Navigation System w/Voice Activation
- Tracker System
- DVD Area Coding (North America)
- Apple CarPlay Compatibility
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Sliding Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- BMW Assist eCall Emergency Sos
- Park Distance Control Front And Rear Parking Sensors
- Active Driving Assistant
- Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera