Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Sporty handling
- Powerful engine
- Above-average cargo space
- Standard navigation
2019 BMW X1: Everything You Need to Know
About the 2019 BMW X1:
The 2019 BMW X1 is a subcompact crossover luxury SUV. It’s the smallest utility vehicle in the German automaker’s portfolio. The versatile vehicle boasts a powerful engine, dynamic handling, good looks, and a fun-to-drive quality.
The entry-level crossover combines the power and maneuverability of a sports car with the utility of an SUV. It seats five people. The X1 retains the proportions of BMW’s Sport Activity Vehicle lineup, which spans the X1 to the full-size, three-row X7.
What’s New in the 2019 BMW X1?
BMW expanded the X1’s list of standard features for 2019. All models come equipped with Apple CarPlay, voice control, and navigation. Newly standard safety equipment includes forward collision warning and adaptive cruise control.
The automaker also improved the functionality of its touchscreen.
The 2019 BMW X1 comes with a 228-horsepower turbocharged 2.0-liter engine and front-wheel drive. Buyers can add all-wheel drive for $2,000. Either model can be customized with an M Sport package. This adds sport seats and a sports suspension, among other features.
Exterior colors for the 2019 BMW X1 include Alpine White, Black Sapphire Metallic, Dark Olive Metallic, Estoril Blue Metallic, Glacier Silver Metallic, Jet Black, Mediterranean Blue Metallic, Mineral White Metallic, Mineral Gray Metallic, Sparkling Brown Metallic, and Sunset Orange Metallic.
What Does the 2019 BMW X1 Compete With?
The 2019 BMW X1’s top competitors include:
As a gateway to the BMW brand, the X1 competes with entry-level models from other luxury automakers. Sleek and sporty, the crossover features a well-appointed cabin with comfortable seating for five across its two rows.
Exterior Design of the 2019 BMW X1
The 2019 BMW X1 packages the proportions of a high-riding utility vehicle within a subcompact footprint. The brand’s signature upright kidney grille and LED headlights give the 2019 BMW X1 a commanding presence on the road despite its small stature. Dramatic lines and a standard rear spoiler enhance its sleek, muscular appearance.
The crossover comes with 18-inch wheels, but 19-inch wheels are available. Buyers can also add a sunroof.
Interior Style in the 2019 BMW X1
The 2019 BMW X1 accommodates five adults with plenty of head- and legroom. The subcompact earns high marks for its premium styling and soft-touch dashboard.
Eight-way power-adjustable front bucket seats, SensaTec upholstery, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel come standard. Buyers can upgrade to genuine leather, heated front seats, a heated steering wheel, sport seats, and premium wood or aluminum trim.
The high seating position improves visibility around the vehicle. Note that the cabin lets in road and tire noise and is not as quiet as competitors’.
Storage options in the X1 include cupholders for front and rear seat passengers. There are compartments in the doors, a glovebox, and optional net seatback storage in the second row. A split-folding rear seat and power liftgate come standard. The vehicle’s ample cargo area expands when the rear seats fold down. Second-row seats slide and recline by five inches for even more space.
Technology: What Technology Comes in the 2019 BMW X1?
The 2019 BMW X1 comes standard with Bluetooth. HD Radio, Apple CarPlay smartphone integration, a seven-speaker audio system and navigation create a respectable list for a subcompact crossover.
The X1 comes with the brand’s iDrive in-car communications and entertainment system. Users control the platform through a 6.5-inch touchscreen. Users may control the system through a rotary dial. There is an optional keypad that recognizes handwriting. There is also an optional gesture control, which detects hand signals the correlate with functions such as changing a song or turning up the volume.
Upgrades include a head-up display, a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, wireless charging, 12-speaker premium Harman Kardon stereo system, and a larger, 8.8-inch touchscreen.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 BMW X1?
The 2019 BMW X1 offers a host of standard driver-assistance safety. These includes Daytime Pedestrian Protection, Frontal Collision Warning with City Collision Mitigation, Lane Departure Warning, Speed Limit Info, and Automatic High Beams.
Programmable LED daytime running lights and a host of airbags are standard as well.
What is the 2019 BMW X1 like to drive?
BMW’s fun-to-drive reputation extends down to its smallest SUV. The X1 features a lively engine and superior handling. The crossover accelerates quickly, grips corners with ease, and brakes confidently.
The 2019 BMW X1 comes in two trims. The front-wheel-drive sDrive28i base model is powered by a 228-horsepower, 2.0-liter twin-turbo four-cylinder engine. The xDrive28i uses the same engine but adds all-wheel drive. Both versions are paired with a smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission. The X1’s suspension can feel firm but prioritizes comfort over sportiness.
Models equipped with front wheel drive can zip from 0 to 60 mph in 6.6 seconds. The all-wheel-drive system shaves that figure slightly, to 6.3 seconds.
The M Sport package comes with a sport-tuned suspension for a stiffer, more athletic ride. The package includes sport seats, a panoramic sunroof, an M-badged steering wheel, and black window trim and roof rails.
Should I Buy a 2019 BMW X1?
The 2019 BMW X1 is a strong competitor in the entry-level luxury subcompact crossover segment.
Aside from all-wheel drive, the sDrive28i and xDrive28i offer a similar list of features. Drivers planning to stick to paved roads and highway will find the sDrive28i sufficient. Buyers interested in rough terrain and off-roading may be better suited for the all-wheel drive xDrive28i. However, shoppers should note that the all-wheel-drive X1 is not as capable off-road as larger models from BMW and other luxury brands.
Should I Buy a Used BMW X1? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The BMW X1 has not received any significant changes since its 2016 model year redesign. Therefore, purchasing a model from the X1’s current generation will provide the looks and features of a 2019 model without the new car price tag.
Used models from the 2017 or 2018 model year essentially provide the same driving experience and features at a lower price. Models built prior to 2016 lack the X1’s current exterior design and interior additions, but those first-generation models come with more attractive pricing.
How Much Does the 2019 BMW X1 Cost?
The 2019 BMW X1 is available in two trims. The sDrive28i base model starts at $34,950. The all-wheel drive xDrive 281 begins at $36,950. This is roughly in line with the Mercedes-Benz GLA, Volvo XC40, Cadillac XT4, and Audi Q3.
The X1’s M Sport package runs an additional $4,650 for a sport-tuned suspension, sport seats. a panoramic sunroof, an M-badged steering wheel, and blacked-out window trim and roof rails.
Upgrading from the crossover’s synthetic upholstery to genuine leather adds $1,450 to the base price. A $2,500 Convenience package comes with power-folding mirrors, auto-dimming mirrors, ambient lighting, a panoramic moonroof, and a one-year subscription to SiriusXM satellite radio. The $2,450 Premium Package gets a heated steering wheel, heated front seats, LED headlights, a head-up display, and navigation with a touchpad controller.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 BMW X1
- Powerful twin-turbo engine
- Sharp handling
- Roomy interior
- Easy-to-use infotainment system
- Noisy cabin
- Pricier than some competitors
- Seat bottoms feel stiff
- No choice between engines
The History of the BMW X1: 8 years of the BMW X1
The BMW X1 launched in 2012 as a gateway to the brand and an affordable entry to the German automaker’s SUV lineup. The five-passenger luxury subcompact crossover entered its second generation for the 2016 model year. Its robust proportions and fast lines create a commanding presence on the road.
The X1 is built at BMW’s plant in Spartanburg, South Carolina. The brand’s largest factory worldwide is home to BMW’s SUV lineup.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 BMW X1
- Body Style
- Sports Activity Vehicle
- 2.0L TwinPower Turbo 4-Cylinder 16V DOHC
- 228 hp
- STEPTRONIC Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L TwinPower Turbo 4-Cylinder 16V DOHC
- Transmission: STEPTRONIC Automatic
- 3.20 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 4,575 lbs
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 80-Amp/Hr Maintenance-Free Battery
- Regenerative 210 Amp Alternator
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- 899# Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 16.1 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" x 7.5" Y-Spoke Bi-Color -inc: Style 579
- Tires: 225/50R18
- Runflat Tires
- All-Season Tires
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Metal-Look Bodyside Insert, Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Metal-Look Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Metal-Look Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Programmable Aero-Composite Halogen Auto High-Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Radio: Professional w/Bluetooth/USB
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System and External Memory Control
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- Radio Control US
- Hi-Fi Sound System
- Satellite Radio Preparation
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats
- Power Front Seats
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 8-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Fold Flat
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Oil Temperature, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Sport Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Interior Lock Disable
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Remote Services
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look/Piano Black Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look/Piano Black Door Panel Insert, Piano Black Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- SensaTec Upholstery
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Driver Seat and Door Mirrors
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Windows
- Tracker System
- DVD Area Coding (North America)
- BMW Assist eCall
- ConnectedDrive Services
- Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
- Apple CarPlay Compatibility w/1 Year Trial
- Navigation Business
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- BMW TeleServices
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Sliding Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Park Distance Control Front And Rear Parking Sensors
- Frontal Collision Warning w/City Collision Mitigation
- Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera