Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- 600-horsepower turbocharged V8
- Practical sedan body style
- High-end luxury and safety equipment
BMW M5: Everything You Need to Know
About the BMW M5:
The BMW M5 is the German company's flagship sports sedan. Based on the standard 5 Series sedan, the original M5 dates back to 1988. Each generation of the car has gotten more powerful and more comfortable. The BMW M5 is celebrated as one of the world's most appealing high-performance cars. It is as comfortable on a race track as it is on the daily drive to work.
The BMW M5 is fast, luxurious, and stylish. It is a good choice for car shoppers in the premium sport sedan segment
What’s New in the 2019 BMW M5?
The BMW M5 was all-new for the previous model year. It moves into 2019 largely unchanged.
The most significant update is the addition of the Competition trim level. This option includes:
- A stiffer suspension system.
- Mild restyling.
- An increase of 16 horsepower over the standard model.
Apple CarPlay is now standard with all versions of the M5.
The base BMW M5 continues to offer 600 horsepower and 553 pound-feet of torque from its 4.4-liter, twin-turbo V8 engine. An eight-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive are also included. The EPA rates the M5’s fuel economy at 15-mpg city and 21-mpg highway.
What Does the 2019 BMW M5 Compete With?
The 2019 BMW M5 competes with the following vehicles:
The most popular version of the BMW M5 is the base model. It includes a long list of features:
- Heated leather sport seats.
- iDrive infotainment system.
- 19-inch wheels.
- Head-up display.
The BMW M5 is aimed at buyers who want a luxurious high-performance car, but need the practicality of a four-door sedan.
Exterior Design of the 2019 BMW M5
The 2019 BMW M5 offers a more aggressive design compared to the standard BMW 5 Series. This is most noticeable in the front and rear bumpers.
The BMW M5 comes with adaptive LED headlights, LED tail lights, a rear spoiler, 19-inch wheels, and a unique grill. The M5 Competition model has some unique styling details. Twenty-inch wheels can be added as an option.
It's a stealthy package that isn’t immediately recognizable as a performance car--until the V8 engine kicks in. This makes it an appealing choice for buyers who love power, but don’t want to standout in the parking lot.
Interior Style in the 2019 BMW M5
The 2019 BMW M5 offers the luxury experience expected from a six-figure car. Much of this equipment is standard, but buyers will pay more for ultra-high-end features.
Specifically, the Executive Package adds:
- Ventilated seats.
- Massaging seats.
- Self-closing doors.
- Heated rear seats.
- Four zones of automatic climate control.
- Power sunshades.
Leather is included with all BMW M5 models. Front passengers are supported by generously bolstered sport seats, which remain comfortable during daily use. The rear seating is quite spacious. Although five passengers will find it tight, four adults can cruise the autobahn in absolute comfort. There are LATCH attachments in the rear as well. Trunk space is generous, with a folding pass-through for longer items.
Despite its performance leanings, the BMW M5 is quiet when driven at speed. It's easy to overlook its rocket-ship capabilities given the composure of the cabin. The iDrive system is also remarkably easy to use. It combines a rotary dial on the center console with a centrally-mounted touchscreen. There are also numerous steering wheel buttons for interacting with the BMW's features.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 BMW M5?
The 2019 BMW M5 is loaded with high tech features.
The 2019 BMW M5 comes standard with:
- iDrive infotainment system.
- Apple CarPlay.
- Harman Kardon surround sound audio system.
- Real-time traffic reporting.
- Head-up display.
Available technology equipment for the 2019 M5 includes:
- Surround-view camera system.
- Self-parking capability.
- Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Rear-seat entertainment screens.
- Bowers & Wilkins Diamond surround sound audio system.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 BMW M5?
The 2019 BMW M5 comes standard with a comprehensive list of safety equipment.
All versions of the 2019 BMW M5 include:
- Lane departure warning. This feature alerts the driver if the car strays from its lane.
- Blind spot monitoring. A system that keeps watches for unseen traffic on either side of the M5.
- Forward collision warning with automatic braking. This feature warns the driver if a collision is deemed imminent, and can stop the vehicle in an emergency.
- Adaptive cruise control. This system automatically maintains a safe distance between the M5 and traffic on the road ahead.
The 2019 BMW M5 can also be ordered with optional safety gear such as:
- Night vision. This system provides an infra-red view of the road ahead, displayed on the infotainment screen.
- Active Driving Assistant. This feature can steer and drive the BMW M5 automatically during certain road and weather conditions.
What is the 2019 BMW M5 Like to Drive?
The 2019 BMW M5 is one of the fastest sedans on the market. Even the base 600-horsepower model can reach 60-mph from a standing start in less than three seconds. This is largely thanks to the traction from its standard all-wheel drive system. All-wheel drive is a new feature for this generation M5. It was added last year.
Despite its considerable size, the BMW M5 is also quite capable in a track environment. Braking is excellent when hauling down from high speeds. Cornering is confident, although not as connected as in past models. Keep in mind that a car this heavy will be eating tires and brakes if regularly raced.
The all-wheel drive system on the BMW M5 is unique in that it can be disabled. The process for doing so requires digging through the iDrive menus. Once located, however, the function can be added to one of the M buttons on the steering wheel. This allows you to disable both the all-wheel drive and the traction control instantly. With the latter off (a requirement), the rear-wheel drive program is more useful for smoky burnouts than serious driving.
Where the BMW M5 truly excels is in daily driving. Although, it's easy to forget how potent its turbocharged engine is when simply puttering to the mall or tackling a longer road trip. The car offers exceptional passing power and extremely competent handling no matter how twisty the roads. The death of the BMW M5's manual transmission will sadden some purists. Still, its eight-speed automatic is an excellent substitute in almost every way except for engagement.
Should I Buy a 2019 BMW M5?
There are few luxury sedans that can match the 2019 BMW M5 when it comes to performance. It’s an excellent choice if you only have a single parking spot and desire both range-topping speed and practicality in a single package.
Should I buy a Used BMW M5?
The previous-generation BMW M5 was not as well-received. While it was comparably fast and offered exceptional handling, the driving experience was not as engaging as earlier models. On the plus side, it does offer a rare manual transmission option. It also features rear-wheel drive. If you are a purist, it is worth seeking out the older M5 (2011-‘17) at a substantial discount. Be aware that maintenance costs can be high.
How Much Does the New 2019 BMW M5 Cost?
The 2019 BMW M5 base model costs $104,695. The Competition model adds $7,300.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 BMW M5
- Incredibly fast
- Comfortable in daily driving
- Substantial luxury
- Excellent safety features
- Low mpg rating
- Expensive compared to other 5 Series models
- No manual transmission offered
- Heavy weight detracts from track experience
The History of the BMW M5: 31 Years of M5
The BMW M5 was introduced to America in 1988. At the time it featured a race-bred inline six-cylinder engine. It was designed to handle better than any other BMW family sedan. The next-generation car appeared the following year, and maintained its six-cylinder setup.
The model that put the M5 on the map for most Americans was the E39 generation. It arrived in the U.S. in 2000. This car was followed by a V10-powered model, and then a turbocharged V8 similar to what is offered today.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 BMW M5
- Body Style
- 4.4L TwinPower Turbo V8
- 600 hp
- Sport Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- All Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Wifi Hotspot
- Engine: 4.4L TwinPower Turbo V8
- Transmission: Sport Automatic
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and STEPTRONIC Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Part And Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
- 3.15 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 70-Amp/Hr Maintenance-Free Battery
- Regenerative 249 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic w/Driver Control Ride Control Sport Tuned Adaptive Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 20.1 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Electro-Mechanical Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 19" x 9.5" Fr & 19" x 10.5" Rr Bi-Color -inc: Style 705M, M double-spoke
- Tires: 275/40R19 Fr & 285/40R19 Rr Performance -inc: Non run-flat
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Driver Auto Dimming, Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum/Composite Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Power Open And Close Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Auto-Leveling Directionally Adaptive Auto High-Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM Audio System
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System, External Memory Control and 20 Gb Internal Memory
- 16 Speakers
- Regular Amplifier
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Digital Signal Processor
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio w/1 Year All Access
- harman/kardon Surround Sound System
- WiFi Hotspot
- Enhanced USB & Bluetooth
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Real-Time Traffic Display
- Power Front Seats
- Sport Front Seats
- Heated Front Seats
- 12-Way Driver Seat
- 12-Way Passenger Seat
- 40-20-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Sport Heated Leather Steering Wheel w/Auto Tilt-Away
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Interior Lock Disable
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Proximity Cargo Access
- Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Residual Heat Recirculation and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Aluminum Instrument Panel Insert, Aluminum Door Panel Insert, Aluminum Console Insert, Metal-Look Interior Accents and Leatherette Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Alcantara Simulated Suede Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Extended Merino Leather Upholstery
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 5 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Driver And Passenger Seats, Door Mirrors and Steering Wheel
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Windows
- Tracker System
- BMW Assist eCall
- ConnectedDrive Services
- Apple CarPlay Compatibility -inc: 1 year trial
- BMW TeleServices
- Connected Package Pro
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Head-Up Display
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Live Cockpit Pro w/Navi
- Fixed Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Multi-Function Seats w/Lumbar Support
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 5 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Park Distance Control Front And Rear Parking Sensors
- Blind Spot Detection Blind Spot Sensor
- Active Protection
- Lane Departure Warning
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera