Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Balance of performance and daily comfort
- Excellent straight-line speed
- Responsive handling
- Compelling on a racetrack
- Coupe and convertible body styles
BMW M4: Everything You Need to Know
About the BMW M4:
The BMW M4 is a German performance car that split from the long-running BMW M3 family for the 2014 model year. The M3 moved forward as a sedan, while the M4 used the same drivetrain and a similar platform in coupe and convertible body styles.
The BMW M4 provides a mix of speed, handling, and luxury in a stylish package that makes it a good buy.
What’s New in the 2019 BMW M4?
The 2019 BMW M4 is almost unchanged from the previous model year. The vehicle's infotainment system now offers standard Apple CarPlay support.
All versions of the BMW M4 come with a 3.0-liter, turbocharged six-cylinder engine. In the base model, it produces 425 horsepower and 406 pound-feet of torque. Upgrading to the M4 Competition package bumps output to 444 horsepower. Transmission choices include a six-speed manual and a seven-speed dual-clutch automated manual.
Fuel economy for the 2019 BMW M4 is rated at 18 mpg city and 25 mpg highway for coupes. The convertible drops a single mile per gallon from the city figure.
What Does the 2019 BMW M4 Compete With?
The 2019 BMW M4 competes with the following vehicles:
- Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
- Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
- Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
- Mercedes-AMG C 63 Coupe
- Audi RS5
The most popular version of the 2019 BMW M4 is the base model. It offers a strong level of standard equipment. This includes items like keyless entry and ignition, dual automatic climate control, and a touchscreen infotainment system. It also offers surround-sound audio and heated leather seats.
The 2019 BMW M4 appeals to buyers who need practicality and comfort for their daily drive but crave weekend thrills on the racetrack or back roads.
Exterior Design of the 2019 BMW M4
Fundamentally, the 2019 BMW M4 maintains the same general shape as its BMW 4 Series sibling. It's easy to see, however, where BMW has added menace, muscle, and malevolence to its styling.
The company claims more than half of the M4's components are different from the 4 Series. From a sheet-metal standpoint, this is most visible in the front bumper and hood, the beefier haunches, and the wheels and tires. The M4 also uses carbon fiber reinforced plastic materials for its hood and trunk lid. There's no question that the BMW M4 cuts an imposing figure on the street.
The 2019 BMW M4 comes standard with 18-inch wheels, LED taillights and headlights, a sport exhaust system, an aluminum hood, and blacked-out trim. The Competition package steps up to 20-inch rims, while the Executive package adds features like adaptive headlights. You can swap the trick carbon fiber roof for a sunroof in the coupe.
Interior Style in the 2019 BMW M4
Much of the 2019 BMW M4's interior matches that of an upscale BMW 4 Series. Notable exceptions include aggressively bolstered sport seats up front. There is also performance-inspired trim throughout the cabin.
Some of the extra touches are subtle. For example, the Competition package adds modest M striping on the seatbelts. Other areas, not so much. Door sills, the shifter, and other areas are emblazoned with the M logo. This includes a light-up M emblem on the seats themselves.
Overall, the interior feels sufficiently luxurious for the BMW M4's price point. The infotainment system is easy enough to use, although the climate controls can seem overly complex.
Visibility out of the front and sides is generally good for the driver. Rear passengers will be just a bit squeezed, as the car is primarily designed for two riders. Trunk space is respectable for the car's size and can be expanded by folding the back seat forward. LATCH child-seat anchors are present, too.
The real let-down inside the BMW M4 is the engine's exhaust note. BMW has attempted to sweeten the sound using electronic amplification. Unfortunately, the turbocharged motor has a tendency to sound dull and vacuum-like when driving around town. This can also translate into a constant unpleasant sound when cruising at highway speeds.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 BMW M4?
The 2019 BMW M4 provides a reasonable level of high-tech gear. The age of its platform is starting to show, however, as some advanced features found in competitors are not available. This is especially true of its older infotainment system.
The 2019 BMW M4 comes standard with:
- 8.8-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Apple CarPlay
- Navigation system
- Harman Kardon surround-sound audio
- ConnectedDrive apps
The 2019 BMW M4 can be ordered with the following optional technology features:
- Head-up display
- Surround-view camera system
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Self-parking capability
- Automatic high-beam headlights
- Wireless phone charging
- Wi-Fi hotspot
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 BMW M4?
The age of the 2019 BMW M4's platform also shows in its safety features. It's unusual for a vehicle this expensive not to offer items like adaptive cruise control and Android Auto connectivity. Its active safety systems are also somewhat limited.
All versions of the 2019 BMW M4 offer forward-collision warning with automatic braking, which can bring the vehicle to a stop at low speeds if an impact is imminent. Also standard is lane-departure warning, a feature that alerts the driver if the BMW M4 leaves its lane.
Optional safety systems for the 2019 BMW M4 include blind-spot monitoring. This system keeps watch on unseen traffic along either side of the vehicle.
What is the 2019 BMW M4 Like to drive?
There are two distinct personalities locked up inside the 2019 BMW M4. The first is a snarling, turbocharged beast that wants to be unleashed on a road course. It delivers excellent balance from its adaptive suspension system (which can be configured by the driver) and plenty of power on tap. The coupe is focused and fun when pushed to the limit. The convertible is slightly less interesting due to its increased weight.
The Competition package adds revised suspension tuning and an active rear differential to push those limits further. Carbon ceramic brakes are also available for better heat resistance on a track. That being said, steering feel remains somewhat blunted in all versions of the M4.
The second personality is revealed on the street, where the BMW M4 is less inspiring. While the manual gearbox performs well, the dual-clutch automatic can be frustrating. It can hold gears too long or not engage quickly enough from a stop. This can make the BMW M4 feel less-than-sporty during the daily commute. Move to the vehicle's “Sport+” setting and the car can feel twitchy under your right foot. That said, the suspension tune in “Comfort” drive mode is relatively subdued. It won't bang you around over rough pavement.
Should I Buy a 2019 BMW M4?
The 2019 BMW M4 is the oldest design of the German heavyweights in its segment. While it does have a number of appealing attributes, it's worth test driving its primary competitors before making a commitment to the car.
Should I buy a Used BMW M4?
The current generation BMW M4 is, for the most part, identical to earlier models. Our only hesitation in recommending it as a used car is its relatively high maintenance and repair costs. These can make ownership without a warranty expensive.
How Much Does the New YMM Cost?
The 2019 BMW M4 coupe starts at $70,145. The BMW M4 convertible jumps to $78,645. Both prices include a destination fee of $995.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 BMW M4
- Powerful turbocharged engine
- Menacing styling
- Comfortable ride in daily driving
- Capable on a race track
- Engine noise can be an annoyance
- Seven-speed automatic can be unpleasant in daily driving
- Technology features are dated
- Android Auto is not available
- Safety features lag behind the competition
The History of the BMW M4: Six years of the M4
The BMW M4 is the spiritual successor to the BMW M3 coupe and convertible. The M4 was split from the M3 family in 2014, separating the two-door models from the four-door sedan.
The M3 coupe was actually the first M-badged performance version of BMW's entry-level luxury car. It first appeared in the U.S. at the end of the 1980s. After the debut of the M4, the M3 continued in sedan-only form.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 BMW M4
- Body Style
- 3.0L 6-Cylinder TwinPower Turbo w/ZCP
- 425 - 444 hp
- 6-Speed Manual
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- DVD Player
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.0L 6-Cylinder TwinPower Turbo w/ZCP-inc: 444 HP
- Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 3.46 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 69-Amp/Hr 900CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Regenerative 210 Amp Alternator
- Automatic Start/Stop Function
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic w/Driver Control Ride Control Sport Tuned Adaptive Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 15.8 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Electro-Mechanical Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 18" x 9" Fr & 18" x 10" Rr M V-Spoke -inc: Ferric gray, style 513M
- Tires: 255/40R18 Fr & 275/40R18 Rr Performance -inc: Non run-flat
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Auto Dimming Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum/Composite Panels
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Led Low/High Beam Auto-Leveling Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Radio: AM/FM Audio System
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, In-Dash Mounted Single CD, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System, DVD-Audio and 20 Gb Internal Memory
- 600w Premium Amplifier
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Digital Signal Processor
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- Radio Control US
- HD Radio
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio -inc: 1 year All Access subscription
- harman/kardon Surround Sound System
- Hands-Free Bluetooth & USB Audio Connection
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Heated Front Seats
- Power Front Seats
- Sport Front Seats
- 12-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Cushion Extension and Power Rear Seat Easy Entry
- 12-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Cushion Extension and Power Rear Seat Easy Entry
- 40-20-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Oil Temperature, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Fixed Rear Windows
- Sport Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Interior Lock Disable
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Residual Heat Recirculation and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Carbon Fiber Instrument Panel Insert, Piano Black Door Panel Insert, Carbon Fiber Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth/Leather Upholstery
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Rear Console w/Storage and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Net
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Driver Seat and Door Mirrors
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Windows
- Tracker System
- Navigation System
- DVD Area Coding (North America)
- BMW Assist eCall
- ConnectedDrive Services
- Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
- Remote Services
- Apple CarPlay Compatibility -inc: 1 year trial
- BMW TeleServices
- CCC Contribution
- Instrument Cluster w/Extended Contents
- Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Fixed Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Sliding Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Lumbar Support
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Park Distance Control Front And Rear Parking Sensors
- Active Driving Assistant
- Active Lane Keeping Assistant Lane Keeping Assist
- Active Lane Keeping Assistant Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera