Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Strong styling statement
- Comfortable, spacious interior
- Excellent turbocharged power
- Long list of safety features
BMW 8 Series: Everything You Need to Know
About the BMW 8 Series:
The BMW 8 Series was originally offered in the early 1990s as the German brand's flagship coupe. After a long hiatus, it returns to showrooms as an all-new 2019 model. It maintains the large two-door design of the original 8 Series but adds a convertible model to the mix. The 8 Series replaces the 6 Series coupe and convertible.
The BMW 8 Series offers poise, prestige, and substantial luxury for well-heeled shoppers, making it a good buy.
What’s New in the 2019 BMW 8 Series?
The 2019 BMW 8 Series is new from bow to stern. It is available as both a coupe and a convertible. Each of these body styles rides on the CLAR platform, which BMW uses for most of its recently redesigned models.
The hardtop and the soft top BMW 8 Series are sold in a single trim level, the M850i xDrive. Each comes with a 4.4-liter, twin-turbo V8 engine. This unit is good for 523 horsepower and 553 lb-ft of torque. All-wheel drive is standard, as is an 8-speed automatic transmission.
Fuel mileage for the BMW 8 Series coupe is listed at 18-mpg city and 25-mpg highway. The convertible subtracts 1 mpg from the city rating while adding 1 mpg to the highway figure.
What Does the 2019 BMW 8 Series Compete With?
The 2019 BMW 8 Series competes with the following vehicles:
The most popular version of the BMW 8 Series is the base model. This version of the car comes with a full complement of high end gear. Stand-out features include parking assistance, all-wheel steering, self-closing doors, and LED laser headlights.
The BMW 8 Series is aimed at professionals who want a stylish and comfortable luxury vehicle that is fun to drive without edging over into sports car territory.
Exterior Design of the 2019 BMW 8 Series
The 2019 BMW 8 Series is somewhat wider than the 6 Series it replaces. That being said, it is also shorter in overall length, and not quite as tall. This gives it more balanced proportions, and plays well with the wide grilles, fenders, exhaust tips, and air vents found on the vehicle.
By hemming in its dimensions, the 8 Series presents a vital look not previously found with BMW's large coupe or convertible. It manages to come across as muscular, but not beefy - more swimmer than body builder.
All versions of the BMW 8 Series feature 20-inch wheels, combination laser and LED headlights, and power folding side mirrors. A cloth top is standard with the convertible model. Options for the 8 Series include access to the BMW Individual program, which provides a full palette of custom colors and trims. You can also add a carbon fiber roof panel to the coupe, as well as blacked-out 'shadowline' trim.
Interior Style in the 2019 BMW 8 Series
The 2019 BMW 8 Series interior is centered around a pair of LCD screens - one in front of the driver, one on the center stack - with a cockpit that wraps around the driver and front passenger. Materials are of excellent quality. Even on switches and buttons that seem at first glance to be shared with other BMW models, there is a noticeable upgrade in the feel of most of the vehicle's controls. In particular, the 'glass controls' that add a gemstone look to the shifter and infotainment controller are quite noticeable.
The seating position at the front of the BMW 8 Series is very low to the ground. This promotes a sporty character to the car that was entirely missing from the 6 Series. Sightlines remain good, although the rear window is somewhat small when seen in the mirror.
The rear seats in the BMW 8 Series are tiny to the point of being useless for human transportation. Think of them as a complement to the vehicle's surprisingly decent trunk space. In a pinch, very flexible adults or very young children could endure a short trip in the coupe or convertible's rear quarters.
Particularly impressive is the calm and quiet nature of the BMW 8 Series in every day driving. On longer trips the car provides exceptional comfort, making it a delightful grand touring option.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 BMW 8 Series?
The 2019 BMW 8 Series features a strong tech game. This is fitting given its role as BMW's top-tier luxury coupe and convertible.
The 2019 BMW 8 Series can be equipped with the following optional tech and convenience features:
- Bowers & Wilkins surround sound audio
That's a short list, because most of the BMW 8 Series' technology equipment falls under the 'standard' heading. This includes:
- Head-up display
- Wi-Fi hotspot
- 10.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- 12.3-inch LCD gauge display
- Surround-view camera system
- Apple CarPlay
- Harman Kardon surround sound audio
- Wireless phone charging
Most of this equipment is well-implemented. Gesture controls for the (otherwise-excellent) iDrive system, and the voice-controlled personal assistant, however, are frustrating and gimmicky.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 BMW 8 Series?
The 2019 BMW 8 Series provides a strong mix of standard safety equipment and optional features.
All versions of the 2019 BMW 8 Series come with the following safety systems:
- Forward collision warning with emergency braking. This feature watches the road ahead to alert drivers about potential impacts. It can also automatically stop the car if necessary.
- Lane departure warning. A system that notifies you if the 8 Series crosses over lane markings.
- Blind spot monitoring. This feature scans the blind spots on either side of the vehicle for unseen traffic.
- Adaptive cruise control. This advanced cruise system maintains a safe gap between the car and any traffic on the road ahead.
Optional safety equipment for the 2019 BMW 8 Series includes:
- Night vision. This feature provides an infra-red view of the road and roadside ahead at night.
- Traffic Jam Assist. This system can follow the car ahead under certain conditions, automatically steering the vehicle.
- Emergency Stop Assist. A single button that will stop the car in medical emergency.
- Lane keep assistance. A feature that will automatically steer the 8 Series in its lane.
Most of the equipment BMW asks you to pay more for with the 8 Series is meant to offer limited self-driving capability. It's not a must-have set of features.
What is the 2019 BMW 8 Series Like to drive?
The 2019 BMW 8 Series walks a fine line between performance car and grand touring car. It's a balanced approach that should appeal to buyers seeking to mix luxury with a bit of fun.
Both the coupe and the convertible offer excellent power and strong acceleration. Sprinting from 0-60 takes less than 3.5 seconds, which is remarkable given the large size and hefty weight of the 8 Series. The vehicle's all-wheel drive system plays a strong role here. Its traction and seamless operation ensure all that turbocharged grunt makes it to the pavement with no wheel spin. It's also useful in winter situations where snow or rain make roads slick and treacherous.
A rear-wheel steering system is standard with the BMW 8 Series. It keeps the car feeling stable at high speeds and assists with low-speed parking lot maneuvers. Although not particularly athletic, the BMW 8 Series feels responsive to steering inputs. It is hard to get the car out of shape on a twisty road, and it offers a surprising amount of feedback given its girth. Add in the aggressive tuning of its exhaust in sportier drive modes, and the overall experience is quite pleasing.
Where the BMW 8 Series truly excels, however, is on long haul highway excursions. Both the drop top and the coupe are supremely comfortable. Effortless passing power is appreciated in almost every situation. As long as you only need to take a single passenger with you, the 8 Series is an excellent road trip companion.
Should I Buy a 2019 BMW 8 Series?
With its blend of luxury and performance, combined with supreme comfort and elegant styling, we think the 2019 BMW 8 Series is a strong choice as either a coupe or a convertible. It also offers substantial savings versus similar S-Class or 911 Turbo rivals.
Should I buy a Used BMW 8 Series?
The most recent used BMW 8 Series hails from the mid-1990s. It was an attractive but unreliable coupe. We don't recommend it as a used vehicle.
How Much Does the New 2019 BMW 8 Series Cost?
The 2019 BMW 8 Series coupe starts at $112,895. The 8 Series convertible adds another $10,000 to that price tag.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 BMW 8 Series
- Great looks
- Excellent performance for its size
- Comfortable ride
- Great mix of tech and convenience features
- Good value compared to other large luxury coupes and convertibles
- Barely-there back seat
- Thirsty at the fuel pump
- Gesture controls and personal assistant not ready for prime time
- Still expensive at over six-figures
The History of the BMW 8 Series: 8 years of Model
The original BMW 8 Series appeared in America as a 1991 model. It, too, replaced the older 6 Series coupe. The vehicle was available with either a V8 or a V12 engine. A very limited number of 12-cylinder cars also featured a 6-speed manual transmission. The 8 Series was sold until 1997, when it was removed from the market completely. It would be over 20 years before a new version of the 8 Series would return to the road.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 BMW 8 Series
- Body Style
- 3.0L TwinPower Turbo DOHC I-6 24V
- 335 hp
- 8-Speed Sport Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Wifi Hotspot
- Engine: 3.0L TwinPower Turbo DOHC I-6 24V
- Transmission: 8-Speed Sport Automatic
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and STEPTRONIC Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 2.93 Axle Ratio
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Regenerative Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic w/Driver Control Ride Control Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 18 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Cell Phone Pre-Wiring
- Electro-Mechanical Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 18" x 8" Fr & 18" x 9" Rr V-Spoke -inc: (Style 642)
- Tires: 245/45R18 Front & 275/40R18 Rear AS MT
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Runflat Tires
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st Row Sunroof w/Power Sunshade
- Fixed Glass 2nd Row Sunroof w/Power Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Gray Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Chrome Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Driver Auto Dimming, Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster and Power Blind
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Chrome Grille
- Power Open And Close Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam w/Laser Supplement Auto-Leveling Directionally Adaptive Auto High-Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Door Auto-Latch
- Radio: AM/FM Audio System
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System, External Memory Control and 20 Gb Internal Memory
- 16 Speakers
- Automatic Equalizer
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Digital Signal Processor
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 464w Regular Amplifier
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio -inc: 1 year All Access subscription
- CD Player Prep
- harman/kardon Surround Sound System
- Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Real-Time Traffic Display
- Sport Seats
- 12-Way Power Driver Seat -inc: Power Recline, Height Adjustment, Cushion Extension, Seatback Side Bolster Support, Fore/Aft Movement, Cushion Tilt and Power Rear Seat Easy Entry
- 12-Way Power Passenger Seat -inc: Power Recline, Height Adjustment, Seatback Side Bolster Support, Fore/Aft Movement, Cushion Extension, Cushion Tilt and Power Rear Seat Easy Entry
- 40-20-40 Folding Bucket Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Heated Leather Steering Wheel w/Auto Tilt-Away
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Interior Lock Disable
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Comfort Access Proximity Cargo Access
- Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front And Rear Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Interior Accents and Nappa Leather Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Vernasca Leather Upholstery
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Rear Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Driver And Passenger Seats, Door Mirrors and Steering Wheel
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows and Remote Engine Start
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Integrated Navigation System w/Voice Activation
- Tracker System
- Wireless Charging
- WiFi Hotspot -inc: complimentary 3-month or 3GB trial
- Apple CarPlay Compatibility -inc: 1 year trial
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Systems Monitor
- Head-Up Display
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Driver And Passenger Heated-Cushion, Driver And Passenger Heated-Seatback
- Manual w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Fixed Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Lumbar Support
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- DSC Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- BMW Assist eCall Emergency Sos
- Frontal Collision Warning w/City Collision Mitigation
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera