Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Variety of body types and engines
- German pedigree
- Built in the U.S.
BMW 4 Series: Everything You Need to Know
About the BMW 4 Series
The BMW 4 Series is a two-door sport coupe that seats four people. It comes in three body styles including and one high-performance variant including:
- BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe: This is the four-door version of the BMW 4 Series.
- BMW 4 Series Convertible: This is the convertible version of the BMW 4 Series.
- BMW 4 Series Coupe: This is the two-door version of the BMW 4 Series. We’ll focus on this vehicle in this review.
- BMW M4: This is the highest performance version of the BMW 4 Series.
The 4 Series is the coupe version of the BMW 3 Series which is a four-door car. It is packed with tons of luxury, has a bunch of high-tech features and some of the best ride quality and handling dynamics out there and is designed to be a step up from an entry-level BMW 2 Series and 3 Series. This is the first generation of the BMW 4 Series sedan.
The BMW 4 Series was first introduced in 2013 as a follow-up to the BMW 3 Series. At the time, BMW changed up its naming conventions. BMWs with an odd number (1, 3 or 5 series) have four doors while those with even numbers (2, 4, 6) tend to be two-door models that sometimes come in a four-door configuration when called a Gran Coupe.
For the purpose of this review, we’ll focus on the two-door version of the BMW 4 Series known as the BMW 4 Series Coupe.
The BMW 4 Series Coupe comes in two engine variants. These include:
- A 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine that makes 248 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque.
- A 3.0-liter turbocharged inline six-cylinder engine that makes 320 horsepower and 330 pound-feet of torque
At the base level, the BMW 4 Series comes with rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional.
BMW is a German company known for creating cars and SUVs that are dynamic, driver-centric, and technologically advanced.
What’s New in the 2019 BMW 4 Series?
For 2019 BMW 4 Series gets a series of small but important upgrades for this year. They include:
- Standard navigation with real-time traffic
- Updated instrument cluster
- Park distance control
- Stiffer suspension that keeps the car more stable on the road
- Apple CarPlay as standard for one year BUT (and this is a big "but") you have to pay a subscription fee to BMW to use it after the first year. No other car company out there does this.
Several options are also new on the 2019 BMW 4 Series. They include:
- Wireless charging pad
- Wi-Fi hotspot
The BMW 4 Series can be optioned with either a six-speed manual transmission in both the rear-wheel-drive coupes or the all-wheel-drive 440i xDrive. All the other versions of the 4 Series coupe come with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
The BMW 4 Series coupe and Gran Coupe comes in a few different engine and transmission variants, as we mentioned above. They are:
- 430i: This is the base BMW 4 Series that gets the four-cylinder engine. It comes with rear-wheel drive and either the eight-speed automatic transmission or optional six-speed manual transmission
- 440i: This is the BMW 4 series with the larger, more powerful six-cylinder engine. It comes in rear-wheel drive and gets either transmission.
- 430i xDrive: This is the BMW 4 series with the four-cylinder engine and all-wheel-drive option. It can be had with just the automatic transmission.
- 440i xDrive: This is the BMW 4 series with the six-cylinder engine and all-wheel drive. This option can be had with either the manual or automatic transmission
- 430 and 440 Gran Coupe: This version of the BMW 4 series offers four doors and a liftback style hatch. You can get this in either all-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive, and it comes standard with the eight-speed automatic transmission. You can also get the smaller four-cylinder or larger, six-cylinder engine. Manual is not available on the 4-Series Gran Coupe
The EPA estimates that the 2019 BMW 4 Series with the rear-wheel-drive gets 24 miles per gallon in the city and 34 miles per gallon on the highway.
What Does the BMW 4 Series Compete With?
The BMW 4 Series competes with the following luxury sedans:
- Audi A5 Sportback
- Audi A4
- Infiniti Q60
- Lexus RC
- Mercedes-Benz C-Class
- Kia Stinger
- Cadillac ATS
- Alfa Romeo Giulia
- Genesis G70
The BMW 4 Series is great for new families or people who want to drive a well-pedigreed vehicle with excellent German engineering.
Exterior Design of the BMW 4 Series
The BMW 4 Series recently got a light facelift and an updated nose. There's a larger central air intake at the front, and at the back, the BMW 4 Series gets a more elongated looking light signature.
While the Gran Coupe version with its four doors looks longer than the coupe and convertible, it is the same length as the two-door model. Many feel that with the hardtop up on the convertible it’s difficult to tell the difference between the coupe and convertible versions of the BMW 4 Series.
For 2019 there are also a few new colors for the BMW 4 Series. They include:
- Snapper Rocks Blue Metallic
- Sunset Orange
Both of these colors look really sharp on the BMW 4 Series.
As standard, the BMW 4 Series gets LED headlights and a moonroof.
Interior Style in the BMW 4 Series
The interior of the BMW 4 Series is all BMW. BMW gets inspiration from airplane cockpits, and that still carries through the interior design of the BMW 4 Series.
All the touchpoints inside the BMW 4 Series are well-appointed. While there are still some hard plastics (unless you step up to a higher trim) the leather is nice looking, and seats are supportive and well-bolstered, especially in the front. At the base, the 4 Series gets 10-way adjustable power seats with adjustable thigh support. Rear seats in the coupe are tight and best for smaller passengers like kids or teenagers.
The layout of the controls and the infotainment system (controlled by a mouse-like wheel in the center console) is bright, easy to read, and relatively easy to operate once you get used to the interface. For 2019 BMW updated the layout of the screen with six tile-like icons laid out over two screens. You can arrange those tiles in any order you like.
Trunk space in the BMW 4 Series is sufficient and offers up 15.7 cubic feet of space. The Gran Coupe offers more space at 17 cubic feet with the seats up.
The interior of the BMW 4 Series is also very quiet both at highway speeds and on local roads.
What Technology Comes in the BMW 4 Series?
The BMW 4 Series comes standard with a variety of convenient technology. Items include:
- BMW iDrive: Use a dial on the center console to control your 8.8-inch infotainment screen.
- USB Port
- 9-speaker audio system
- Bluetooth streaming
- Optional Sirius XM
There are a variety of packages available on the BMW 4 Series they include the following:
- Convenience: This includes active blind spot detection, lumbar support, and heated front seats.
- Executive: Automatic high beams, parking assistant and side, and top-view cameras.
You can also piecemeal additions like a rearview camera if you want it.
While Apple CarPlay is available as an option, there is no available Android Auto for the 2019 BMW 4 Series. CarPlay comes for free for the first year you are in your new BMW 4 Series, but after that, you have to pay an annual subscription to use it. BMW is the only car company to do this.
BMW also offers adaptive cruise control on the base level 430i.
What Safety Features are in the BMW 4 Series?
The BMW 4 Series comes with standard safety features including
- Standard automated emergency braking and pedestrian detection
- Frontal Collision Warning with City Collision Mitigation
- Lane Departure Warning
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
- Impact sensor that activates Battery Safety Terminal disconnect of alternator, fuel pump and starter from battery; automatically unlocks doors; and turns on hazard and interior lights
Rearview camera is an additional cost.
What is the BMW 4 Series Like to Drive?
On the road, the BMW 4 Series feels like a well-designed German vehicle. It is connected, quick and a blast to drive.
Both engine options are phenomenal and, on the road, the lower center of gravity and wider stance of the BMW 4 Series makes it feel extremely agile. While BMW did increase the stiffness of the suspension for 2019, which in turn, increased the noise inside the cabin, the trade-off is worth it.
The four-cylinder engine is plenty for most drivers, though the six-cylinder is very good as well. Both transmissions are smooth and easy to use.
For the person who loves to drive and feel connected to the road, the BMW 4 Series can’t be beat.
Should I Buy a 2019 BMW 4 Series?
Yes. If you enjoy the fun of driving and want a two-door coupe that really engages, the BMW 4 Series is the right choice for you.
BMW is one of the few manufacturers that still offers free, regularly scheduled maintenance for the first three years of ownership or 36,000 miles. While maintaining a German vehicle can be a pricey endeavor, the complimentary maintenance will make things a bit less expensive.
Should I buy a Used BMW 4 Series?
Used BMW 4 Series are good bets if you are looking to save some money but still get a truly driver-centric experience.
Since the 4 Series has only been around since the 2013 model year, there aren't many out there with high mileage or complaints. Have any used vehicle you purchase checked out by a certified mechanic before you sign on the dotted line.
How Much Does the BMW 4 Series Cost?
The 2019 BMW 4 Series starts at $53,400 plus destination. Adding on packages will make the cost go higher.
The all-wheel-drive version of the BMW 4 Series starts around 55,700, and the M versions of the 5 Series will put you back $74,450 or more.
In any form, we highly recommend checking out the BMW 4 Series as a great luxury sedan with its driver-oriented dynamics.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 BMW 4 Series
- Smooth and powerful fuel-efficient four-cylinder engine
- German driving dynamics make it engaging and fun to drive
- Comes with complimentary scheduled maintenance for first 36,000 miles
- Apple CarPlay requires a subscription after the first year
- No Android CarPlay offered
- Price is higher than some competitors
The History of the BMW 4 Series: Two-door coupe with great driving dynamics
The BMW 4 Series is relatively new to BMW's lineup. It was created as the new two-door version of the previous-generation 3 Series. In earlier years the 3 Series was a two-door vehicle. To simplify naming conventions and attempt to keep consumers from being confused, they brought the lower and wider 4 Series to the market. The BMW 4 Series has been in production since 2013.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 BMW 4 Series
- Body Style
- 2.0L DOHC 16-Valve 4-Cylinder Turbocharged
- 248 hp
- 8-Speed Sport Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L DOHC 16-Valve 4-Cylinder Turbocharged
- Transmission: 8-Speed Sport Automatic
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and STEPTRONIC Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 2.81 Axle Ratio
- 90-Amp/Hr 900CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Regenerative 170 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 15.8 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Dark Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 18" x 8" Double-Spoke Orbit Grey -inc: Style 397
- Tires: 225/45R18
- Runflat Tires
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st Row Sunroof w/Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Metal-Look Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Auto Dimming Side Mirrors w/Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Led Low/High Beam Auto-Leveling Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Radio: AM/FM
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- 205w Regular Amplifier
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 9 Speakers
- Hi-Fi Sound System
- Satellite Radio Preparation
- Radio Control US
- HD Radio
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio -inc: 1 year all access subscription
- Hands-Free Bluetooth & USB Audio Connection
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Sport Seats
- Power Front Seats
- 2-Way Power Driver Seat -inc: Power Seatback Side Bolster Support and Manual Cushion Extension
- 2-Way Power Passenger Seat -inc: Power Seatback Side Bolster Support and Manual Cushion Extension
- 40-20-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Oil Temperature, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Sport Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Interior Lock Disable
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Residual Heat Recirculation and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- SensaTec Upholstery
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Door Mirrors
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows and Sunroof/Convertible Roof
- Tracker System
- Navigation System
- BMW Assist eCall
- ConnectedDrive Services
- Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
- Remote Services
- Apple CarPlay Compatibility
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- BMW TeleServices
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Manual Anti-Whiplash w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Park Distance Control Front And Rear Parking Sensors
- Active Driving Assistant
- Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera