Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Powerful engine with good fuel efficiency
- Good agility on the road
- Great performance
- Available Bluetooth connectivity and iPod integration
2011 BMW 1 Series M: Standing the Test of Time
At the time, the 2011 BMW 1 Series M signaled a major departure for the automaker's M Division. After years of focusing on high-revving engines, the 1 Series coupe M relies on forced induction in the hopes of improving fuel efficiency. It is easy to dismiss the 1M as an entry-level baby for those who can't afford the beefier models. But take a few minutes with the M BMW series and you will find its playful personality hiding within. Although the 1 Series coupe itself may not inspire much in the way of style, the M is a truly fun and refined ride.
What's New for the 2011 Production Year?
The M BMW Series was a new model that came with a wider track width compared to its predecessors. It also features an exclusive front air dam as well as flared fenders to help differentiate
itself from the 135i. Additionally, the M was made with new suspension tuning as well as a variable-slip differential to assist more robust brakes.
Fuel-Efficient and Powerful Engine
Get behind the sport wheel of the M Series coupe, and you will find sheer joy. The model it is built on is already fast, but the extra oomph found underneath the hood of the M coupe gives you even faster access to that power. There is no turbo lag even as you push the coupe down to the red line. The engine is not unique to the M, but it is an upgrade from its progenitor. Instead of a 3.0-liter single-blower, you get a twin-turbo straight six. That makes the M a different car altogether since it is capable of handling gear shifts and fast acceleration without rebelling. Replacing the naturally aspirating engine with forced induction gives the 1M more urgency at lower speeds. Plus, it is coupled with a six-speed manual that switches gears smoothly. It is not possible to get the dual-clutch transmission that the M3 has in this BMW 1 Series M, but you will hardly miss it.
Agile, Nimble Handling
Pushing the start button results in a satisfying growl from the coupe, and it is not much louder than its predecessor. The steering wheel feels comfortably thick in your hands, making it easy to grip and maneuver as you go around corners. As for the tuning, the coupe's suspension is not too rigid, so the ride feels comfortable enough. Like with other BMW vehicles, the M feels smooth and civilized, absorbing much of the shock even where the road starts to break up.
There is no denying the power that the BMW Series M can deliver. As reviews and videos prove, it takes just 4.7 seconds to reach 60 miles per hour from a stand still. Activate M mode and you will notice the rear wheels give a little from the torque. The tachometer lets you know when you should shift up to 7,000 rpm, and second gear neatly takes the car beyond 60. At no point do you notice lag or a drop in speed. On well-paved twisting roads and even going up inclines, the 1M coupe maintains its composure and prowess. The brakes are easy to control approaching corners, and the wheels turn without issue. Once the traction control light flashes high, the car cuts its power to the rear wheels as it regains control. With less power, driving becomes a little sluggish. You can disable this feature with a button at the top of the car's dashboard. Speed demons can take advantage of the Turbo overboost that results in up to 370 pounds-feet of force. All the while, switch gears smoothly and enjoy the firm feel of the clutch.
What Are the M's Safety Features?
All BMW Series M models come with antilock disc brakes, stability control, traction control, and hill
start-off assist. Likewise, you will get full-length side curtain airbags as well as front-seat side airbags to mitigate damage in the event of an accident. Read the manual to find even more included safety features.
Solid Body Construction
Are 1M cars just 135is underneath? Not really. Creating the 1M required M Division to strip the standard chassis and replace its components with those found on the M3. This produced vehicles that married the two models well, building on a strong foundation. Whether you are driving in the neighborhood or carving up the highway, you are certain to have fun in and enjoy the smooth ride of the 2011 BMW coupe. With excellent steering easily operated by a thick steering wheel, the 1M comes with pitch-perfect weight. The body also comes with good proportions, and the twin-turbo engine does not struggle to get it moving. Plus, you have great outward visibility and view all around. All in all, it was a good choice to use the body of a 135i for this vehicle since it was a construction that already worked well.
What Kind of Tech Is Available?
A quick review of this BMW finds a full suite of advanced electronics to fill the interior. At the Base level, you will find navigation settings and access to your phone's contact list. Upgrade to the Premium package for best results, including Bluetooth connectivity and iPod integration, among others.
If you are already a fan of BMW and have bought their cars in the past, then the 1 Series will serve as a nice successor. It gives you the best parts of its two sources of inspiration--the 135i and the M3--and feels more agile than either. If you are not already a BMW driver, then there are still other reasons the 1M will work. The good fuel economy, dynamic road experience, and great construction quality are all major pros. It is also a good choice if you prefer a sports drive with plenty of power. Having said that, it is not the least expensive option to choose. The 2011 BMW 1M can sell at real premium price points, especially if you are opting to add packages.
Indeed, the M Series coupe is a proper M, and there is no doubt about it. It might be different from the rest of its predecessors, but you do not have to search long to see that different can mean good. Experiencing the turbocharged M reveals a car with its own personality. It is more than a fully loaded 135i, and it is more than a stripped-down M3. The BMW 1 Series M is a benchmark for the future of M.
Pros and Cons of the 2011 BMW 1 Series M
- Fuel-efficient engine
- Powerful performance underneath the hood
- Nimble and agile on the road
- Strong, lithe body
- Cramped backseat
- Low-quality interior materials for a BMW
- Overall styling could be better as it takes poor photos
BMW debuted its 1 Series tii Concept at the 2007 Tokyo Auto Show, but it took four years and major changes before the 1 Series M finally showed up. The automaker updated the styling and included a more powerful six-cylinder, officially announcing the M variant in December 2010. The German automaker planned to make only 2,700 units but ultimately produced 6,309 BMW 1 Series M units. These models officially went on sale and became available to the public in May 2011.
Not meant to last long, production of the coupe ended in June 2012, but pre-owned options can still be found for purchase on occasion.
Specs & Key Features of the 2011 BMW 1 Series M
- Body Style
- 2 Door Coupe
- 335 hp
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Cruise Control
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- 3.0-liter all-aluminum 335-hp inline-6 engine with Double-VANOS "steplessly" variable valve timing
- BMW TwinPower turbo technology combining high pressure direct fuel injection with twin low-mass turbochargers
- Distributorless electronic ignition system
- 3-way catalytic converter with heated oxygen sensor
- Engine start/stop button
- 6-speed manual transmission with cooling circuit and heavy-duty dual-disc clutch
- Variable M differential lock
- Rear wheel drive
- Oil and coolant heat exchangers
- Gas-pressurized front struts and rear shock absorbers
- M suspension with twin-joint spring-strut front axle, subframe, front axle tie-rod and stiffening plate in aluminum, rear axle subframe in steel, track control arm and spring strut in aluminum and lightweight steel construction
- Vehicle-speed-sensitive variable-assist power steering (M Servotronic)
- 4-wheel BMW M vacuum-assisted ventilated, cross-drilled compound disc brakes with floating brake rotors
- M quad polished stainless steel exhaust tips
- Y-Spoke (Style 359M) Silver finish M light alloy wheels, 19 x 9 front, 19 x 10 rear 245/35 front and 265/35 rear high-performance tires
- M mobility system (includes lifetime BMW Roadside Assistance for tire assistance)
- Air curtain drag-reduction system
- Rear lip spoiler
- Flared front and rear fenders including wheel arches, vent gills in front fenders with integrated indicator and M logo
- M rear apron
- Shadowline trim
- Xenon Adaptive low- and high-beam headlights with auto-leveling
- Fixed headlight washers
- Adaptive brake lights
- Pwr M exterior side-view mirrors in body color with double bridge in black
- Heated side-view mirrors and windshield washer jets
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers with automatic headlight control
- AM/FM HiFi stereo/CD audio system with radio data system (RDS), auto-store, MP3 capability and 3-channel FM diversity antenna system
- HD Radio with "multicast" FM station reception
- Multi-adjustable manual front sport seats with manually adjustable thigh support and electrically-adjustable side bolster support
- Rear-seat headrests
- Rear bench seat
- Black Boston leather upholstery with contrasting orange stitching
- Front center armrest
- Floor Mats
- Console valet and cupholders
- Door sills with BMW M logo
- 3-spoke, leather-wrapped multi-function M sport steering wheel with audio and (accessory) phone controls, M color stitching and tilt/telescopic adjustment
- M-design instrument cluster with white backlit instrument dials and red needles
- On-board computer with detailed vehicle information, including travel range on remaining fuel, average/specific efficiency, external temperature (including freezing temperature warning), and instant velocity
- Service interval indicator with miles-to-service display
- BMW digital motor electronics (DME) with on-board diagnostics
- Tachometer with oil temperature display
- Check control vehicle monitoring system
- Cruise control with column-mounted stalk, 1- and 5-mph stalk detents
- Power front windows with "one-touch" up/down operation
- Electric interior trunk release
- Remote keyless entry
- Central locking system and double-lock feature
- Vehicle & key memory
- Coded driveaway protection (prevents engine start when your key, with constantly changing electronic code, is not used)
- M Drive button to select from two M-tuned throttle response maps
- Automatic climate control includes micro-filter, automatic air recirculation, left/right temperature control, windshield misting sensor, MAX button, ALL button, and recall of individual user settings
- Rear window defogger
- Titanium shadow interior trim
- Anthracite headliner
- Courtesy lights include fade in/fade out, actuation from remote, automatic switch-on when engine is turned off, separately controlled left/right low-glare front reading lights, front footwell lighting, and illuminated vanity mirrors
- Fully finished trunk
- High-performance M-tuned anti-lock braking system (ABS) with dynamic brake control
- Dynamic stability control (DSC) with M dynamic mode (MDM)
- Bumper system with aluminum impact absorbers at the front, steel impact absorbers at the rear, and front-compressible elements
- Interlocking door anchoring system to help protect against door intrusion in side impacts
- Driver's and passenger's front airbag supplemental restraint system (SRS) with advanced technology, dual-threshold, dual-stage deployment, and front-passenger seat sensors designed to prevent unnecessary airbag deployment
- Head protection system (HPS), front and rear
- Front-seat-mounted side-impact airbags
- Crash sensor that activates battery safety terminal disconnect of alternator, fuel pump and starter from battery, automatically unlocks doors, and turns on hazard and interior lights
- BMW's advanced safety system for integrated deployment of passive and active safety features
- Automatic front safety-belt pretensioners
- Child-seat automatic safety-belt locking device in rear seats
- Emergency trunk release
- Tire pressure monitor