Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Loaded with technology
- Stylish good looks
- Plenty of luxury touches
- Comes with all-wheel drive as standard
Audi Q5: Everything You Need to Know
About the Audi Q5
The Audi Q5 is Audi’s best-selling compact luxury SUV. It seats five people comfortably, comes with a suite of very high-tech bells and whistles, and standard all-wheel drive.
The Audi Q5 was introduced to the U.S. market in 2009. In 2015 Audi sold more than 200,000 Q5s in the U.S. alone. The 2019 Audi Q5 is the second generation of the small SUV.
The Audi Q5 is available in two variants:
- The standard Q5
- A sportier, SQ5 that gets more power and handling than the Q5
Find out more about the difference between the two below.
Audi is a German company owned by the Volkswagen Group. Audi is known for high-tech cars, self-driving technology, and advanced safety systems that help keep occupants safe in case of a crash.
What’s New in the 2019 Audi Q5?
The 2019 Audi Q5 doesn’t get a lot of updates for the most recent model year.
It does get a new collection of packages and some new standard equipment, however. The updates include:
- Standard front heated seats
- Standard aluminum roof rails and rear spoiler
- Standard electric rear child locks
- 7-inch driver display
- New black optic package that includes: o Black 20-inch wheels o Matte black roof rails o Titanium black exterior trim
Additions to the Convenience Package which include: o LED headlights and taillights o Audi side assist system (more below) o Audi pre sense rear system (more below)
Additions to the Premium Plus package which include: o MMI Navigation o Rear USB ports
The 2019 Audi Q5 comes with two engine options. They include:
- The Audi Q5 gets a 2.0-liter, four-cylinder TFSI engine connected to a S-tronic seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. That engine puts out 248 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of torque.
- The Audi SQ5 gets a 3.0-liter TFST V6 engine connected to an eight-speed Tiptronic transmission. This pairing makes 349 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque.
The EPA estimates that the 2019 Audi Q5 gets 22 miles per gallon in the city and 27 miles per gallon on the highway. That’s slightly lower (by one mile) than the 2018 version of the Q5.
The Audi SQ5 gets 19 miles per gallon in the city and 21 miles per gallon on the highway. The EPA estimates for the SQ5 have not changed from the previous model year.
What Does the Audi Q5 Compete With?
The Audi Q5 competes with the following compact luxury SUVs and crossovers:
The Audi Q5 is great for new families and comes complete with the LATCH system in the back seat. The ample trunk space and 60/40 folding backseats leave plenty of room for hauling everything from strollers to stuff from Costco.
The Q5 is also one of the only small SUVs that comes with all-wheel drive as standard. Many of the competitors require added options to get all-wheel drive. That means that the Q5 is an excellent vehicle choice for places that get regular snow in the winter time. If you need all-wheel drive for a snowy climate, the Q5 is a good place to start.
Exterior Design of the Audi Q5
The 2019 Audi Q5 looks like, well, an Audi. It has a sloping roofline and muscular wheel arches with really appealing and balanced design lines. This makes it a very good-looking SUV.
Over the years Audi designers have done a stellar job of making all Audis look like they are related. The large grille at the front of the Audi Q5 accentuates the standard LED running lights and xenon headlights. The Audi SQ5 gets a unique set of wheels, roof spoiler, and unique grille design.
The Audi Q5 has a ground clearance of 8.2-inches. Thanks to its curved roofline, the Q5 looks more good-looking-car than crossover.
Interior Style in the Audi Q5
The interior of the Audi Q5 offers a truly unique combination of high-tech and luxury. Curving dashboards wrapped in leather give way to highly readable touchscreens and information systems inside the Q5.
In higher trims, the Q5 gets even more high tech with a minimal number of buttons and knobs and mostly touch-screen surfaces that allow both passengers and drivers the ability to customize their experience in the Q5.
The 2019 Q5 has enough space for adults to sit relatively comfortably in the back seats where they get 37.5-inches of legroom. When the seats are up, there is 25.1 square-feet of trunk space. With the 60/40 folding seats down the Q5 gets nearly 60 cubic feet of space.
What Technology Comes in the Audi Q5?
For 2019 the Audi Q5 gets even more technology than the previous year. Audi is known for its advanced technology, and the Q5 comes packed with a lot of it as standard.
Technology items include:
- Audi Connect Care as standard --this suite of safety features is detailed below
- Standard 7-inch color infotainment driver display
At the Premium Plus package level, the 2019 Audi Q5 gets:
- Audi’s MMI Navigation with the MMI all-in-touch system as standard
- USB charging ports in the back seats
- Wireless phone charging for compatible phones
One of the best optional features in the Audi Q5 is Audi's Virtual Cockpit. The system turns the driver's instrument panel into a digital configurable dash that can show you everything from gorgeous Google maps (in both flat and 3D views) to details of your infotainment system (like what is playing on the radio). Virtual Cockpit gives the driver a 12.3-inch color display that helps make driving the Q5 that much more enjoyable.
As part of the MMI system, Audi also offers handsfree advanced voice recognition to help a driver search for locations, call people and places and change the radio channel. Audi’s voice recognition system is, in our opinion, one of the best in the business.
The Audi Q5 and Audi SQ5 both come with standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
The Audi Q5 also offers Audi connect CARE which includes features that allow you to:
- Remotely unlock and lock the car
- Set a curfew (the car will not turn on after a specific hour)
- Get valet alerts (if the car goes out of the area or goes over a certain speed when with a valet)
- Remotely locate your car using its GPS system
Additionally, the Audi Q5 comes with optional driver assistance features that make the Q5 somewhat self-driving. These include:
- Adaptive cruise control with TrafficJam assist: This system is a beefed-up cruise control system that uses advanced radar, LIDAR, cameras, and sensors around the vehicle to follow traffic ahead. The system also integrates GPS data to help “see” a slowdown ahead of the car and manage speed.
- Active lane assist: This system keeps you in your lane by using cameras around the car to read lane markers. It’s a very good system and does not ping-pong the vehicle back and forth across the lane like others on the market.
What Safety Features are in the Audi Q5?
The 2019 Audi Q5 has earned a five-star safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In the tests done by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the Q5 got an overall good rating, but only got a marginal rating for the ease of use of the LATCH system.
The Audi Q5 comes packed with standard safety features including:
- Audi pre sense basic: When the A5 is about to be hit or in a crash, the windows will close, and seatbelts will tension to keep passengers safe.
- Audi pre sense city: This system detects pedestrians, and both moving and still vehicles around the Q5 and can fully brake the car from speeds of up to 52 mph if a crash is imminent.
- Audi connect CARE: This system allows the car to be connected to the internet via 4g LTE where available. See above in the Technology section for more about Audi connect CARE
- Three LATCH child seat mounting points and electric child locks in the rear seat
Additionally, as part of the Audi Connect package, the Audi Q5 comes with:
- Online roadside assistance and service interval notifications
- Automatic crash notification
- Manual emergency call
- Stolen vehicle locator
What is the Audi Q5 Like to Drive? On the road, the Audi Q5 drives like a sedan in an SUV's body. Around town and on the highway the Audi Q5 is quiet and comfortable. It is nimble in corners, and with its new standard Audi Drive Select on all models, the driver can put the Audi Q5 into any preferred mode of driving.
Driving modes include:
- Comfort: A softer ride and less direct steering
- Automatic (a set up where the computer figures out what kind of driving you tend to do and then maximizes the feel of the steering and throttle to your style)
- Dynamic: More sporty feeling and more direct steering
- Offroad: Helps the Q5 grip better in offroad conditions
- Individual: The driver can set up each component of the Q5 to their driving tastes. So you can set up the steering and handling to be more sporty while putting the suspension into comfort mode, so you don't jostle passengers.
In each setting throttle response, suspension, transmission, and steering changes make the Audi Q5 both incredibly versatile and fun to drive in a variety of environments. It is one of our favorite features of the Q5 and Audi vehicles in general.
In addition to the variety of drive modes, the Audi Q5 comes with standard all-wheel drive which means you never have to worry about getting stuck in a snowstorm (with the right tires, of course).
While the Audi Q5 only gets 8.2-inches of ground clearance, this is more than enough to handle a bit of snow on your way to work or some very light off-roading should you want to take your Q5 a bit off the beaten path.
Should I Buy a Current Audi Q5?
If you want one of the most technologically advanced and sleekest looking SUVs on the market, you should buy an Audi Q5. Even at its base level, without additional packages, it is a solid performer, and it offers a great blend of technology and luxury.
Should I buy a Used Audi Q5?
If having the most current and advanced technology in your Q5 doesn't matter to you, you can certainly save money by buying a used Audi Q5.
According to data compiled by CarComplaints.com, there are reported problems with the 2014, 2013, and 2012 Audi Q5 models. Most complaints have to do with engine problems or oil consumption issues.
One thing to note is that Audis tend to be very expensive to fix. Because they are so technologically advanced, Audi vehicles require regular maintenance and care. If you purchase a used Audi Q5 be sure to have it checked out by a certified mechanic before signing on the dotted line. You can also buy a pre-owned certified Audi Q5 to ensure that you are getting a good vehicle.
How Much Does the Audi Q5 Cost?
The 2019 Audi Q5 starts at $42,950 including destination of $995.
The 2019 Audi SQ5 at the top of the line starts at $52,400 including the same destination charge.
In any form, we highly recommend checking out the Audi Q5 as a great all-around SUV that drives like a sedan and comes standard with all-wheel drive.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Audi Q5
- Tons of very high-tech features
- Great driving manners
- All-wheel drive as standard on all models
- Drives like a sedan even though it’s an SUV
- Self-driving features are available
- No hybrid or diesel options
- Higher trims and options can make this an expensive SUV
- Expensive to repair
- Depreciation can be high
The History of the Audi Q5: The Baby Q7
The Audi Q5 landed in the U.S. in 2009 just three years after Audi first launched its first luxury SUV, the Audi Q7. It was first unveiled as a concept car at the 2007 Los Angeles Auto Show, and it didn't go into production until two years later.
Initially, Audi reported that they would make a hybrid Audi Q5 but after reportedly disappointing crash results, the company suspended the plan to put it into production. There are current plans for an Audi Q5 E-Tron plug-in version, as reported by Autoblog late last year.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Audi Q5
- Body Style
- quattro Sport Utility
- 2.0L TFSI Direct-Injection DOHC 4 Cylinder
- 248 hp
- 7-Speed S tronic Dual-Clutch Auto
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- All Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L TFSI Direct-Injection DOHC 4 Cylinder
- Transmission: 7-Speed S tronic Dual-Clutch Auto
- 5.302 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 2,465 lbs
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Oil Cooler
- Automatic Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 75-Amp/Hr 420CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Regenerative 150 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 18.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Permanent Locking Hubs
- Multi-Link Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 18" 5-Arm-Turbine Design
- Tires: 235/60R18 AS
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Metal-Look Bodyside Insert, Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Aluminum Side Windows Trim, Black Front Windshield Trim and Black Rear Window Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Metal-Look Grille
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Programmable Projector Beam High Intensity Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front And Rear Fog Lamps
- Radio: Audi Sound System w/7" Display -inc: USB Audi music interface w/Audi smartphone interface (Android Auto and Apple CarPlay) and preparation for mobile phone (Bluetooth)
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation and Radio Data System
- Digital Signal Processor
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 10 Speakers
- Regular Amplifier
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Heated 8-Way Power Front Bucket Seats -inc: 4-way power lumbar for driver
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Level, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Genuine Wood Instrument Panel Insert, Genuine Wood Door Panel Insert, Genuine Wood Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Leather Seating Surfaces
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Tracker System
- Refrigerated/Cooled Box Located In The Glovebox, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Emergency Sos
- Audi pre sense front
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- SIDEGUARD Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Power Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera