Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Standard all-wheel drive
- Standard digital gauge cluster
- Improved driving experience over the previous model year
- More interior space and added technology
Audi Q3: Everything You Need to Know
What is the Audi Q3?
The Audi Q3 is a compact crossover that has been completely redesigned for 2019 to add more luxury and more space. The Audi Q3 seats five passengers, and it is Audi's best-selling model.
The Audi Q3 is built by Audi, a German company owned by the Volkswagen Group. The 2019 Audi Q3 is the second generation of the crossover that was first introduced in the U.S in 2015. The 2019 Audi Q3 was introduced at the New York Auto Show in 2019, and it will be in showrooms in the late summer and early fall of 2019.
The 2019 Audi Q3 comes as standard with a four-cylinder 2.0-liter TFSI engine that puts out 228 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. The engine is paired to Audi's eight-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission, and Audi says that the new Q3 can do zero to sixty in 7.0 seconds which is 1.2 seconds faster than the previous generation.
The Audi Q3 comes with standard Quattro all-wheel drive.
Like other Audis, the Audi Q3 comes in three trims:
- Premium Plus
The 2019 Audi Q3 gets an EPA-estimated 22 miles per gallon combined, 19 miles per gallon in the city, and 27 miles per gallon on the highway.
What’s New in the Audi Q3?
The 2019 Audi Q3 is all new. Built on Audi’s MQB architecture (the same that underpins other Volkswagen vehicles like the Atlas and the Audi TT), it is bigger than the previous model, getting an additional 3.8 inches in length, 0.7 inches in width and 1.5 inches in height. That all translates to a lot more usable interior space.
Audi also upgraded the features offered on the new Audi Q3. It is one of the only small SUVs that comes with standard all-wheel drive. Audi updated the seating position to make the Q3 easier to see out of for 2019 as well.
The Q3 is one of the older models in Audi's line-up, so the difference between the old Q3 and the new one is dramatic. Audi updated the interior to include a standard digital dash display and available Audi Virtual Cockpit, which is hands down one of the best features offered on a modern car today. They also added available adaptive cruise control and lane assist features on the new Q3.
Audi also offers a unique interior finish with an inlaid orange Alcantara fabric dash that looks phenomenal in person. There are still optional wood or aluminum dash highlights available.
The Audi Q3 comes with 18- or 19-inch wheels and available 20-inch wheels should you so choose.
What Does the Audi Q3 Compete With?
The new Audi Q3 competes with vehicles like the following:
- BMW X1
- Mercedes-Benz GLA
- Lexus UX
- Range Rover Evoque
- Infiniti QX30
- Volvo XC40
- Cadillac XT4
- Buick Encore
- Mazda CX-5
The Audi Q3 is a fantastic entry-level luxury SUV that offers a ton of technology for a really reasonable price.
Exterior Design of the Audi Q3
For 2019, Audi updated the look of the Q3, so it's less bulbous and bean-shaped than the previous model. Audi also made the Q3 1.5-inches taller, 3.8-inches longer and a full inch wider than its predecessor.
At the front of the SUV, you get Audi’s Singleframe grille that gives the Q3 a wide and low look while the headlights have been redesigned to be more aggressive and angular. That same wideness is emphasized at the back of the SUV where standard LED taillights echo the effect. LED headlights and taillights are standard on the Q3.
The Audi Q3 is a lot better looking than its predecessor, blending a mix of Audi Q8 looks with the smaller compact crossover lines of the Q3.
The Audi Q3 comes in two exterior packages:
- Q3 Quattro: This version comes with 18-inch wheels and all-season tires and full-paint exterior finish (i.e., bumpers match)
- Q3 S Line Quattro: This version comes with a full-paint finish, 19-inch wheels with all-season tires. Larger 20-inch wheels are available with summer performance tires, as well.
You can choose between the Premium and Premium Plus packages on the standard Q3 model which add things like heated, eight-way power-adjustable front seats, some safety and convenience features, and different wheels. The S-Line model gets an additional package called the Prestige package which adds more equipment to the little SUV.
For 2019 the Q3 comes in eleven different colors including new Chronos Gray metallic, Pulse Orange and Turbo Blue.
Interior Style of the Audi Q3
Because designers made the Audi Q3 longer, wider, and taller on the outside, the compact SUV gets more space for passengers and cargo, inside. It also gets some really elegant upgrades like optional orange Alcantara dash inserts that look phenomenal.
Additionally, Audi has built the 2019 Q3 with standard digital instrument cluster instead of the previous generations analog cluster. The cluster is bright and easy to see in daylight.
They have also added a high-resolution touch screen into the dash that now sits behind a black panel of glass—a design that was carried over from the features in their higher-end vehicles. You also get four USB ports including a USB-C port in the front seat.
The front seats are comfortable with ample bolstering and a number of adjustments to find your goldilocks position whether you’re out on a long drive through the countryside or just on your way to the grocery store.
The rear cargo space is larger, and the rear seat gets a standard 40/20/40 split-folding, sliding and reclining seatback. That helps add to the legroom and makes the rear seats more comfortable than the previous Q3. Additionally, Audi designers added two USB ports for rear passengers and an adjustable load floor in the cargo space.
What Technology Comes in the Audi Q3?
The Audi Q3 comes packed with technology including:
- Standard 10.25-inch digital instrument display cluster with available Audi Virtual Cockpit
- An 8.8-inch MMI touch response infotainment screen
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Four USB ports including one USB-C in the front seat
Step up to the Premium Plus level, and you get additional features on top of the base Premium level, including:
- Audi’s parking system plus
- Audi phone box which boosts reception and can wirelessly charge phones with that capability
- Auto-dimming interior mirror
- Sirius XM (with subscription)
At the top of the line sits the Audi Q3 S Line which includes:
- Audi Virtual Cockpit
- Adaptive Cruise control
- Customizable interior lighting
- Top-view camera
The Virtual Cockpit feature is available on the Premium Plus line and comes with the S-Line. It is, in our opinion, well worth adding it on.
What Safety Features Come in the Audi Q3?
At its base, the Audi Q3 comes with safety features that include:
- Audi Pre Sense front
- Rearview camera
You can add the optional Convenience package to the base model and get added safety content like:
- Audi side assist with lane departure warning
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Audi’s parking system plus which includes acoustic front and rear sensors
Adaptive cruise control with stop and go activation is available as an option on the Premium Plus package.
One thing of note, rear side airbags are optional across the line-up and cost an additional $350.
What’s the Audi Q3 Like To Drive?
The 2019 Audi Q3 is markedly improved over the previous version, but make no mistake, this is not a sport-tuned SUV.
We got a chance to drive it around the countryside in Nashville, Tennessee and while the ride was nicely compliant, the steering was somewhat numb, and on more than one occasion the transmission hunted for the right gear particularly when going from a dead stop to start on a hill.
While you get 28 additional horsepower and 51 more pound-feet of torque over the last generation Audi Q3, the good-looking, amenity-packed crossover can feel a little sluggish when you really have to get on it.
The redesigned suspension makes for a comfortable and agile ride on all kinds of roads, though body roll is still relatively noticeable. You can use the Audi drive select to toggle through various driving modes and in Dynamic mode the steering weights up to give a more substantial feel to the wheel. In individual, the driver can set up the steering feel, suspension, and engine tuning based on their preference.
Should I Buy a New Audi Q3?
The Audi Q3 is a good buy. We’d suggest stepping into at least the Audi Q3 Premium level to get the bells and whistles you’ll want.
Should I Buy a Used Audi Q3?
The Audi Q3 of the past isn’t a great bet in terms of purchase. Sure you can save some depreciation, but overall, reviews of the old Q3 are not great. The interior space and rear-seat space are cramped at best, and the raked roofline doesn't leave a whole lot of practical or useable space for cargo or people.
If you do decide to purchase a used Q3, be sure to have it checked out by a certified mechanic before taking it home. Audi’s can be very expensive to fix.
How Much Does an Audi Q3 Cost?
The 2019 Audi Q3 starts at its base at $34,700 plus a delivery fee of $995. The added Premium Plus package will cost you an additional $3,100.
The Audi Q3 S Line starts at $36,000 plus delivery. You could top the S Line out around $43,000 which is still more affordable than quite a few in the competitive set including the Mercedes-Benz GLA and the BMW X1.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Audi Q3
- Comes with all-wheel drive as standard
- Latest technology suite is available including Audi’s Virtual Cockpit
- More interior space—especially in the back seat
- Have to step up to the mid-range Premium package to get the most desirable features
- A bit sluggish on the road
- Transmission is somewhat clunky
The History of the Audi Q3: New Small Crossovers Take Over
The Audi Q3 first appeared in the U.S. in 2015. It is the smallest crossover made by Audi and is one of the few small SUVs on the market that come with all-wheel drive as standard. The Q3 was one of the first small SUVs to originally offer the option of two-wheel drive when it was first introduced. It was initially a front-wheel-drive vehicle at the base level.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Audi Q3
- Body Style
- quattro Sport Utility
- 2.0 TFSI 4-Cylinder
- 228 hp
- 8-Speed Tiptronic Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- All Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Convenience Package -inc: Alarm w/Motion Sensor, SiriusXM All Access Service, 3-month trial subscription, HomeLink Garage Door Opener, Audi Side Assist, lane departure warning and Rear cross Traffic assist, Audi Advanced Key, 4 doors, tailgate and sensor opening, Audi Parking System Plus, acoustic front and rear sensors
- Engine: 2.0 TFSI 4-Cylinder
- Transmission: 8-Speed Tiptronic Automatic
- Axle Ratio: TBD
- GVWR: TBD
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 15.9 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Permanent Locking Hubs
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 18" 5-Arm Design
- Tires: 235/55R18 All-Season
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st And 2nd Row Sunroof w/Power Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Bodyside Cladding and Body-Colored Wheel Well Trim
- Metal-Look Side Windows Trim, Black Front Windshield Trim and Black Rear Window Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Chrome Grille
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Rear Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Fully Automatic Auto-Leveling Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: Audi Sound System -inc: MMI touch response w/8.8" screen, Audi smartphone interface (Apple CarPlay and Android Auto), Bluetooth hands-free telephone and 4 USB ports (1 USB-A and USB-C in front, 2 USB-C in rear)
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation and Radio Data System
- 10 Speakers
- Regular Amplifier
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Heated Front Bucket Seats -inc: 8-way power driver's seat w/4-way power lumbar
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 40-20-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Level, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Front Cigar Lighter(s)
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Cruise Control
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather Gear Shift Knob
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Leather Seating Surfaces
- Aluminum Spectrum Inlays
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Rigid Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Audi pre sense front
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- SIDEGUARD Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Power Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera