Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Fun, sporty driving experience
- Luxurious interior and exterior styling
- Utility and cargo room exceeds most sedans
- Wide range of technology features standard
2019 Audi A5 Sportback: Everything You Need to Know
About the Audi A5 Sportback:
The Audi A5 Sportback is a five-door mid-size luxury sedan with a hatchback liftgate. It is a rare bodystyle in the U.S. with few similar competitors. It is part of Audi’s A5 lineup which includes a coupe, convertible, and hatch, or Sportback.
The A5 Sportback is well-suited for small to mid-size households. Seating for five plus room for gear fits an active lifestyle. Quattro all-wheel-drive conquers many weather conditions. There is plenty of the latest technology available in the A5 Sportback to complement spirited driving.
The Audi A5 Sportback comes with a 2.0-liter direct injection four-cylinder engine. This is tied to a seven-speed dual clutch automatic transmission. Horsepower is 248 with 0-60 mph acceleration of 5.7 seconds. Stated fuel economy is 23 mpg for city, 34 for highway.
The A5 Sportback has four interior colors with two decorative inlay colors. There are nine exterior colors and a $3,900 option for a custom color.
What’s New in the 2019 Audi A5 Sportback?
The Audi A5 was redesigned for model year 2018. The A5 added the Sportback as a bodystyle option as part of the second-generation A5. Model year 2019 saw the elimination of the manual transmission. LED headlights are now standard and wireless charging is available. Otherwise, changes are minor for 2019.
What Does the 2019 Audi A5 Sportback Compete With?
The 2019 Audi A5 Sportback’s top competitors include:
There are few competitors for the Sportback. Despite excellent functionality, hatchbacks are not very popular in the U.S. market. There are plenty of sedans and crossovers, but the combination of sedan styling with a “sport” back is hard to find.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Audi A5 Sportback
The Audi A5 Sportback looks like a long, elegant four-door sedan from most angles. The hatchback liftgate is well-camouflaged in the graceful lines. The Sportback reflects Audi’s German styling with an athletic stance and sporty style.
Audi’s bespoke “wave-design” and aggressive wheel arches further the muscular look. Standard LED headlights provide a distinctive front end. The 18-inch wheels, spoiler, and high beltline add to the bold European luxury look.
Interior Style in the 2019 Audi A5 Sportback
The interior of the A5 Sportback reflects Audi’s German roots and emphasis on technology. The cabin is elegant and refined. Optional sport seats are an additional $1,000.
The cabin is equally focused on the driver and passenger. The enormous fully digital 12.3-inch instrument display allows full customization for the driver. The center console provides good if not copious storage. The buttons and controls are intuitive and easy to reach. There are simple dials for the climate control and sleek levers for other functions.
The materials used are higher end, with minimal hard plastic and lots of soft touches. The gear selector is leather-wrapped and ambient LED lighting is available.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Audi A5 Sportback?
Audi packed technology into the redesigned A5. The Sportback comes standard with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. These integrate with Audi’s handwriting-recognition technology to aid in navigation.
Audi Connect integrates Google Earth imagery, traffic, and weather information seamlessly. The Sportback comes standard with an in-vehicle 4G LTE connectivity and Audi connect CARE assistance. Audi connect PRIME is offered with a complimentary a six-month subscription.
There’s a WiFi hotspot, plus Audi connect PLUS online. A head-up display on higher trims offers driver related information and warnings, keeping eyes on the road.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Audi A5 Sportback?
The Audi A5 Sportback is packed with a host of sophisticated safety features. These include Audi “pre sense” basic which warns of an impending collision. This system not only pre-tenses the front safety belts, but it will also begin closing the side windows and sunroof to prevent ejection.
Audi pre-sense City detects stationary vehicles and pedestrians in front of the vehicle up to 52 mph. This system then warns the driver of an impending crash. Pre sense City initiates emergency braking, and under 25 mph, it actually stops the vehicle if a collision is looming.
Audi also has blind-spot monitoring for the side and rear, as well as rear cross-traffic alert. A bit surprisingly, rear side airbags are a $350 option on all versions of the Audi A5 Sportback. A full suite of airbags is generally available on many other competitive vehicles.
What is the 2019 Audi A5 Sportback Like to Drive?
The Audi A5 provides an engaging driver’s experience. There are five easily adjustable driving modes. Choose between efficiency, comfort, dynamic, and individual, or just set it on “auto” and let the car decide. The steering is precise and confident. The ride and handling are both comfortable and sporty on short and long drives.
The lightweight construction means this mid-size luxury car is light on its feet with a surefooted suspension. The leather-wrapped steering wheel is an ideal size for quick maneuvers. The power seats allow for precise driver positioning.
The cabin is well-insulated and quiet, with minimal noise or vibration. The leather seats provide excellent bolstering and wrap passengers in reassuring comfort, even on the most aggressive twisty roads at high speeds.
The all-wheel-drive Quattro provides excellent traction on both wet and dry pavement. The available head-up display makes it easy to keep eyes on the road. The large hatchback swallows up a weekend’s worth of luggage or long boards at the surf shop.
Should I Buy a 2019 Audi A5 Sportback?
The Audi A5 Sportback is a rare breed in a market dominated by SUVs. Four-door styling with hatchback utility means the A5 Sportback is an excellent small-SUV alternative. It has more cargo space than a traditional sedan but with a similar profile and driving enjoyment. The A5 Sportback is a good purchase for someone looking for utility and cargo without an SUV. It seats five so it is suitable for small to medium size households. Should I Buy a Used Audi A5 Sportback? Are There Any I Should Avoid? Despite global availability since 2007, the Audi A5 Sportback didn’t arrive in the U.S. and Canada until 2017, so used models are not very old. The manual transmission was discontinued for model year 2019, so if you’re seeking a stick shift, you’ll have to buy a used Sportback.
A used A5 Sportback is an excellent opportunity to buy the vehicle at a significant savings without significant compromise.
How Much Does the 2019 Audi A5 Sportback Cost?
The A5 is available in three different trims. The Premium base model starts at $44,200. It comes with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. A seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and Quattro all-wheel-drive are standard. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, a 7-inch screen, and advanced safety driving features are included.
The Premium Plus starts at $48,600. It adds rear cross traffic and vehicle exit alerts. The Audi virtual cockpit and navigation are standard. Wireless charging and advanced entry capability come standard.
The Prestige top of the line jumps to $52,300. Head-up display, park steering assist, adaptive cruise, advanced top-view camera system, and an upgraded audio are all added.
Audi offers a variety of available packages. The Convenience package is available on Premium models for $1,500, and standard on Premium Plus and Prestige. This includes keyless start, auto dimming side mirrors, Sirius XM, and Audi side assist and pre sense rear driver assistance.
A cold weather pack for $750 features a heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, and all-weather floor mats. It is available for Premium Plus and Prestige trims.
There are also several appearance packages specific to the Sportback. These include the Black Optic plus package for $1,950, and S line Sport for $1,000.
Audi offers some options as well. These include upgrading from 18-inch to 19-inch wheels, and high-performance summer tires. A sport suspension, adaptive steering, the stylish S line, and ventilated sport seats are available. A heated steering wheel is optional.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Audi A5 Sportback
- Aggressive, sporty driving experience
- More utility and functionality than many sedans
- All-wheel-drive is standard
- Many technological features standard
- Luxury materials and styling
- Rear side airbags are not standard
- Underwhelming interior storage
- Manual transmission discontinued for 2019
The History of the Audi A5 Sportback: 10 Years of the Audi A5 Sportback
The Audi A5 Sportback debuted in much of the world in 2007. However, it was not available in the U.S. and Canada until early 2017 as a model year 2018.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Audi A5 Sportback
- Body Style
- quattro Sportback
- 2.0L TFSI 4 Cylinder
- 248 hp
- 7-Speed S tronic Dual-Clutch Auto
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- All Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L TFSI 4 Cylinder -inc: energy recuperation system w/start-stop
- Transmission: 7-Speed S tronic Dual-Clutch Auto -inc: shift paddles
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
- 4.27 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 75-Amp/Hr 420CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 150 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic w/Driver Control Ride Control Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 15.3 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Multi-Link Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" x 8.5" 5-Arm-Dynamic Design
- Tires: P245/40R18 93H AS
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st Row Sunroof w/Power Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Chrome Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Aluminum Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Chrome Grille
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Programmable Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: Audi Sound System -inc: 10 speakers, 6-channel amplifier, 180 watts, USB Audi music interface, Audi smartphone interface (Android Auto and Apple CarPlay), Bluetooth preparation for mobile phone and HD Radio technology
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Sport Seats -inc: 8-way power front seats and 4-way power lumbar for driver
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 40-20-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Level, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Aluminum Instrument Panel Insert, Aluminum Door Panel Insert, Aluminum Console Insert and Piano Black/Chrome Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Leather Seating Surfaces
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Rigid Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Analog Display
- Power Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Immobilizer III Engine Immobilizer
- Perimeter Alarm
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Audi connect CARE Emergency Sos
- Audi pre sense basic
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- SIDEGUARD Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera