Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Optional all-wheel-drive
- 2.0-liter turbocharged engine
- Seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission
- Top Safety Pick by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
Audi A4: Everything You Need to Know
About the Audi A4
The Audi A4 is a functional compact family sedan, and an inspiring sports car. The A4 sits in the premium category. It’s less expensive than some of the top models from Europe or Asia, but it’s definitely better than an economy car.
The A4 comes with Audi’s all-wheel-drive system, called quattro. It is a great choice for shoppers who are looking for all-season performance in a compact sedan. It’s a good commuter car, and an elegant ride for city or country driving.
What’s New in the Current 2019 Audi A4?
The current generation Audi A4 was released for the 2017 model year, so it’s still new. Changes for 2019 include:
- Six-speed manual transmission no longer available
- Two new rear seat USB ports
- Revised exhaust system
- Wireless device charging on Premium trim
The basic performance stats for the A4 are simple:
- 2.0-liter turbocharged engine
- 188 or 248 horsepower
- 236 or 273 pound-feet of torque
- Seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission
- Front-wheel or all-wheel drive
What Does the 2019 Audi A4 Compete With?
The Audi A4 competes in the premium compact sedan class. Other vehicles include:
The A4 is in the middle of the price range for its class. It comes in only three trims: Premium, Premium Plus, and Prestige. Think of these as Good, Better, and Best.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Audi A4
On the outside, the A4 is clearly a European sport sedan. The lines and proportions are dignified and classic, while still suggesting speed. Audi switched to attractive angular grille a few years ago, and it fits the car’s overall appearance and personality.
Color choices are limited to black, white, four shades of silver-gray, and blue or red. That’s typical for a German car, and the A4 looks good in any color.
The A4 is available with LED headlights, but even the standard lights are bright Xenon. Taillights and signal lights are LED on all models. Heated side view mirrors are standard, as part of Audi’s all-weather commitment.
Interior Style in the 2019 Audi A4
The European premium experience continues in the A4’s interior. Heated leather front seats are standard on all A4 trims, with four-way power lumbar support for the driver. Other standard interior features include:
- Power sunroof
- Tilt and telescoping steering wheel
- LED ambient lighting
- Four cup holders
The A4 cabin is quiet on the road, convenient controls within easy reach. Available wood trim on the dash accentuates the simple and elegant design. Even the shifter is understated, but has a quality feel.
The A4 has seat belts for five passengers, but three adults in back is a tight squeeze. Four adults can ride in perfect comfort. The rear seats have LATCH connections for child car seats, if needed.
The trunk is large enough to carry a couple sets of golf clubs, or luggage for two people. At 13 cubic feet, cargo space is about average for compact sedans. However, the rear seats do fold down to let you carry larger items.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Audi A4?
The A4 includes a 7.0-inch dashboard display as standard equipment, with an optional 8.3-inch display. Infotainment is controlled by an innovative dial-and-click interface on the console. The top surface of the dial is also a touchpad. Both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay smart phone integration systems are supported.
As a premium European car, the A4 also offers an excellent technology package. The optional video-based driver information display is called the “virtual cockpit.” This 12.3-inch display shows standard gauges, messages, and navigation information including Google Earth images.
A 755-watt Bang & Olufsen premium sound system is available as an option. The 19-speaker system is among the most sophisticated on the market.
Finally, Audi offers an optional full-color head-up display. This feature projects speed limit and navigation information onto the windshield, directly in the driver’s natural field of vision.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Audi A4?
The 2019 Audi A4 received a five-star crash safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) rates the A4 as a Top Safety Pick.
In addition to the standard airbags and stability controls, the A4 is available with a suite of advanced safety features. Standard active safety features include:
- Rear view camera
- Automatic emergency braking up to 52 mph
- Pedestrian detection
When you upgrade to the Premium Plus or Prestige trims, more safety features are included:
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Adaptive cruise control
- Rearward monitoring to mitigate rear-end accidents
- 360-degree camera (Prestige only)
- Traffic sign recognition and display (Prestige only)
- Lane keeping assistance (Prestige only)
What is the 2019 Audi A4 Like to Drive?
The Audi A4 is among the best-driving cars in its class. Where some four-cylinder turbocharged cars can initially feel weak, the A4 has plenty of power at all times. The seven-speed transmission works so smoothly you might not notice it shifting gears.
Suspension is firm and controlled, making the sedan one of the most agile in its class. The brakes feel confident, and the A4 just begs to be driven on a winding road. When equipped with Audi’s quattro all-wheel-drive system, the sedan tackles rain and snow with ease.
The Audi is relatively fuel efficient. The front-wheel-drive A4 earns 27 mpg in city driving. A4 models with all-wheel-drive return 23 mpg in the city. All A4 models are estimated to achieve 34 mpg on the highway.
Should I Buy a Current 2019 Audi A4?
The current generation of the Audi A4 has been on the market since 2017, and has benefitted from 25 years of development. While Audi had quality issues in the past, those days are over.
Today’s Audi A4 is a smart choice among premium and luxury sport sedans. From the exterior appearance to interior comfort, Audi has produced a benchmark vehicle. When it comes to handling and performance, Audi is among the leaders in the segment.
Should I buy a Used 2019 Audi A4? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
Newer is better with any Audi. If you are considering a pre-owned A4, buy the newest one you can afford. Audi covers the A4 with a four-year, 50,000-mile warranty, so models back to 2015 are still under warranty. If affordable, a 2017 A4 or newer is the best choice.
How Much Does the New 2019 Audi A4 Cost?
The base A4 Premium with front-wheel drive starts at $37,400. Premium Plus is priced at $42,900. The top A4 Prestige costs $46,200. At each trim level, upgrading to quattro all-wheel-drive adds $4,600. A $995 destination charge is applied to all Audi A4 purchases.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Audi A4
- Wonderful handling
- Impressive performance
- Comfortable interior
- Great in rain and snow
- High service and repair costs
- Rear seat is small
- Poor brand-quality history
The History of the Audi A4: 25 Years of A4
The A4 was first released in 1994, replacing the older Audi 90 compact sedan. By the mid-1990s, Audi was known for performance and all-wheel drive.
There have been five generations of the A4, with a variety of four-cylinder and V6 engines. Some years, Audi added a station wagon version of the A4 called the A4 Avant, and a raised crossover-style wagon called the A4 Allroad.
Audi also produces the high performance S4 sedan with more engine power, plus sport-tuned suspension and brakes.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Audi A4
- Body Style
- 2.0L TFSI I4 DOHC
- 188 hp
- 7-Speed S tronic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L TFSI I4 DOHC -inc: start-stop efficiency system
- Transmission: 7-Speed S tronic
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 4.23 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 70-Amp/Hr 420CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Regenerative 150 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic w/Driver Control Ride Control Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 15.3 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Multi-Link Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Regenerative 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 17" 5-Arm Design
- Tires: 17" All-Season
- Aluminum Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st Row Sunroof w/Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Aluminum Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Colored Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Cornering Lights
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Programmable Projector Beam High Intensity Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front And Rear Fog Lamps
- Radio: Audi Sound System -inc: Audi connect CARE (limited subscription), driver information system, color 7" display, preparation for mobile phone (Bluetooth) w/streaming audio and USB Audi music interface w/Audi smartphone interface (Android Auto and Apple CarPlay)
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Glove Box Mounted Single Remote CD, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation and Radio Data System
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 10 Speakers
- 180w Regular Amplifier
- Digital Signal Processor
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Heated Front Bucket Seats -inc: 8-way power front seats and 4-way power lumbar for driver
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 40-20-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Level, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Genuine Wood Instrument Panel Insert, Genuine Wood Door Panel Insert, Genuine Wood Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Aluminum Gear Shift Knob
- Leather Seating Surfaces
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows and Sunroof/Convertible Roof
- Audi connect CARE Tracker System
- Refrigerated/Cooled Box Located In The Glovebox, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Sliding Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Immobilizer III Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Audi pre sense basic
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- SIDEGUARD Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera