Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Driver-centric SUV
- Sexy, distinctive Italian styling
- Quick acceleration paired with firm braking
- Firm, nimble steering and handling
- Comfortable sport seats
- Gorgeous throaty engine, especially the Quadrifoglio
Alfa Romeo Stelvio: Everything You Need to Know
About the Alfa Romeo Stelvio:
The midsize luxury Alfa Romeo Stelvio is one hot Italian crossover. Unlike many in its segment, the Stelvio is about the driving experience first, and utility second. All-wheel-drive is offered, but the Alfa is not focused on going off-road. The Stelvio is about the drive and ride, not the dirt and rocks.
The Stelvio has four doors and seats five people with good cargo space. Its sexy, distinctive styling turns heads on the road. It’s great for smaller households wanting a good-looking and dynamic, yet practical, luxury crossover.
The Stelvio is powered by a Ferrari-developed 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine rated at 280 horsepower. It’s mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission. Giant elephant-ear paddle shifters invite interactive driving in Sport trims.
The Quadrifoglio trim takes the driver-focused experience to another level. The QV, as it’s known, is equipped with an all-aluminum 2.9-liter twin turbo V6 engine developing 505 horsepower. This is a very different–and thrilling–driving experience compared to the base engine.
The 2.9-liter is also mated to the eight-speed automatic, calibrated for smooth and quick gear shifts. The top speed of the Quadrifoglio is 176 mph. The exhaust note is known for its rich and throaty tone.
The Stelvio is front-wheel drive on the lowest two trims. All-wheel-drive is standard on six trims, including the QV. The Stelvio is very customizable with eleven different exterior colors, six different wheels, three colors of calipers, three tire options, and five interior colors. The QV has fewer choices, but there are still plenty of opportunities to make it your own.
The Stelvio is produced at the Cassino plant in Italy for global distribution.
What’s New in the Current 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio?
The Stelvio debuted in 2017 as a 2018 model, so it’s still quite fresh. Alfa Romeo adds a new entry-level trim to the Stelvio lineup for 2019. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are now standard across the board.
What Does the 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Compete With?
There are plenty of vehicles in the two-row midsize luxury SUV space. Competition is increasing, so models are frequently refreshed. Shop the Alfa Romeo Stelvio and Stelvio QV against these vehicles:
- Mercedes GLC
- Audi Q5
- Porsche Macan S
- BMW X3 and X4, particularly the new “M” versions
- Jaguar F-Pace
- Land Rover Evoque
- Volvo XC40
The middle trim is easy to recommend as it’s generally a good value with useful features. The Stelvio Ti with all-wheel-drive is a fine choice at $44,495. For another $2,000, upgrade to the Ti Sport all-wheel-drive for an even more engaging driving experience.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio The Alfa Romeo Stelvio features a distinctive deep “V” grille with wide, gaping air intakes. The headlamps are long and sleek, and unmistakable in a rearview mirror. The doors are tall, with narrow windows that may compromise visibility. The muscular stance provides a cocoon-like feel, wrapped up in Italian leather.
Interior Style in the 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
The Stelvio’s interior features are well-appointed and logically placed. There’s a lot to like–judicious use of materials, soft touches, and suede bits at key touch points. The red-stitched Alcantara seat leather is high quality and appealing.
Large paddle shifters are tucked behind the flat-bottom leather-wrapped steering wheel. The push-to-start button is on the wheel. It’s a great look, but can be hard to locate if the wheel isn’t on center.
The center console, storage door, and gear selector could all use upgrading, but the styling makes up for it. Cupholders are hidden behind the cover. Climate control knobs are easy to reach.
The front seats are power with adjustable thigh and lumbar support. The back seat has a useful fold-down center console with an armrest and cupholders.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio?
The Alfa Romeo Stelvio base trim comes with a 6.5-inch widescreen color display. It includes Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, USB ports, and steering wheel mounted audio controls. Higher trims upgrade to an 8.8-inch screen, a 12-volt center console power outlet, satellite radio, and an eight-speaker stereo system.
The infotainment system takes some getting used to, like many modern vehicles. The menus can be confusing and require digging to customize some features.
Voice control and Bluetooth are standard, and it’s easy to pair phones. But the optional navigation lags competitors in intuitive design.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio?
The newly-available base Stelvio is fairly sparse on standard safety. It has some features above the government mandated equipment, but not as many as competitors. Standard equipment includes:
- Electronic stability control.
- Hill descent control.
- LED daytime running lights.
- Rear back-up camera.
- Rear parking assist sensors
- LATCH child ready anchors.
The Driver Assist Dynamic Plus package costs $1,500. This includes adaptive cruise control, automatic high beams, collision warning, lane departure, and an infrared windshield.
For another $800 the Driver Assist package adds auto-dimming exterior mirrors, blind-spot and cross-path detection, and front/rear park assist sensors.
The Alfa Romeo Stelvio has not yet been crash-tested in the U.S. The Stelvio received a five-star crash rating from Belgium-based Euro NCAP. This indicates an “overall good performance in crash protection.” Its sister vehicle, the Giulia sedan, is a 2018 Top Safety Pick from IIHS.
What is the 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Like to Drive?
The Stelvio is one of the few SUVs offering a truly driver-centric experience. The leather-wrapped, flat-bottom carbon fiber steering wheel is standard on the QV. Press the bright red steering-wheel mounted start button and the 2.0-liter 505-horsepower twin-turbo V6 roars to life.
The Stelvio is known for its quick acceleration, with its glorious exhaust note exploding as the luxury crossover jumps off the line. The sporty seats hug the front passengers through the twists and turns. This is not your average crossover. This is a driver’s crossover. Remind the kids in the back to hang on to their sippy cups.
The Stelvio QV clocked a lap time of 7 minutes, 51.7 seconds at the world-famous Nurburgring race track in September 2017. This was the fastest lap of a production SUV ever. It held the title until the Mercedes-Benz GLC63 S Coupe clocked a time three seconds faster in late 2018.
Should I Buy a Current 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio?
Both the Stelvio and Stelvio QV stand out in the crowd. Not just for beautiful, masculine styling and distinctive rims, but for a terrific ride. The mid-size SUV takes all sorts of road surfaces with amazing aplomb. Its precision handling Hoovers up twists and turns faster than a football player at an all-you-can-eat buffet.
The Stelvio is covered by a four-year, 50,000-mile warranty. There are some unknowns with the Alfa brand though, including reliability and resale value. Consider leasing to offset these uncertainties.
Should I Buy a Used 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The Alfa Romeo Stelvio was an all-new nameplate in 2018, so any used ones should still have relatively low miles. It’s never a bad idea to shop for a gently used model. Reliability of Alfas is not yet established, though, so best to focus on Certified Pre-Owned vehicles that may still be under warranty.
How Much Does the New 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Cost?
The 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio starts at $40,295 for the base front-wheel-drive version. All-wheel-drive on the base and Stelvio Sport adds $2,000. Next up, the Stelvio Ti, is only offered with all-wheel drive and starts at $44,495. The Stelvio Ti Lusso all-wheel drive is $46,995 and the Stelvio Ti Sport all-wheel drive costs $47,295.
The Stelvio Quadrifoglio all-wheel drive version is a significant jump up at $79,995, nearly twice the price of the base Stelvio.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
- Driver-focused luxury crossover
- Handsome styling
- Fits a wide range of households and lifestyles
- Plenty of functionality and utility in a sexy package
- Alfa’s long-term durability and reliability is not yet proven
- Less standard technology and safety than competitors
- Requires 91 octane fuel
- Dealerships are scarce
The History of the Alfa Romeo Stelvio: Two Years of the Stelvio
The Alfa Romeo Stelvio debuted at the 2016 Los Angeles Auto Show. It entered production in Italy at the end of 2016, and went on sale in the U.S. in late 2017.
The name “Stelvio” originates from the Stelvio Pass, Italy’s highest mountain pass, famous for its forty-eight crazy switchback turns.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.0L 280HP I4 DI Turbo
- 280 hp
- 8-Speed Automatic 8HP50
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L 280HP I4 DI Turbo
- Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic 8HP50
- 3.73 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: TBA
- 50 State Emissions
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Sequential Shift Control
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 16.9 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" x 8.0" 5-Spoke Aluminum
- Tires: 235/60R18 All-Season
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Black Wheel Well Trim
- Aluminum Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Metal-Look Surround
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Rear Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam High Intensity Low/High Beam Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: AM/FM w/Bluetooth 6.5
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Rear Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System and External Memory Control
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Antenna
- 8 Speakers
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Bucket Front Seats w/Leatherette Back Material and Power 4-Way Driver Lumbar
- 10-Way Power Driver Seat -inc: Power Recline, Height Adjustment, Fore/Aft Movement and Power 4-Way Lumbar Support
- 10-Way Power Passenger Seat -inc: Power Recline, Height Adjustment, Fore/Aft Movement and Power 4-Way Lumbar Support
- 40-20-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Oil Temperature, Transmission Fluid Temp, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Leather/Aluminum Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather Gear Shift Knob
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Interior Trim -inc: Piano Black Instrument Panel Insert, Piano Black Door Panel Insert, Piano Black Console Insert and Aluminum Interior Accents
- Leather Seats
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Roll-Up Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Driver And Passenger Seats and Door Mirrors
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Remote Engine Start
- Smart Device Integration
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Refrigerated/Cooled Box Located In The Console, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- ParkSense Rear Parking Sensors
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- ParkView Back-Up Camera