Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Beautiful styling
- Wide range of prices
- Two distinct engine choices
- Ferocious exhaust note
- Terrific handling
- AWD offered in a sedan
- Makes driving fun again
2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia: Everything You Need to Know
About the Alfa Romeo Giulia
The Alfa Romeo Giulia is a long, low-slung, sexy four-door sports sedan from Fiat Chrysler’s Italian premium brand. Imported from Italy since it launched in 2016, the Giulia is a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive (RWD) sedan that is also offered with all-wheel drive (AWD).
The base 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine has sixteen valves and 280 horsepower. It offers 306 pound-feet of torque, and the exhaust sound it creates is truly glorious.
The Giulia Quadrifoglio is Alfa’s race-inspired line and offers a higher level of driving performance. The Quadrifoglio (QV for short) comes standard with a Ferrari-developed, all-aluminum, 2.9-liter twin-turbo V6 engine. This beast makes 505 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque with a top speed of 191 mph. For some buyers, it’s important to note the QV is not available in AWD.
Both engines use Alfa’s eight-speed automatic transmission. Giant column-mounted paddles allow for manual shifting.
This sedan’s stunning good looks and beautiful proportions stand out on the road compared to many of its rivals.
What’s New in the 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia?
The Giulia went on sale in 2016, so it’s still pretty fresh. But there a few changes for the current model.
Alfa is offering two new appearances packages for 2019. The Nero Edizione package has upgraded exhaust tips and wheels, as well as darkened exterior trim and headlamp bezels. The Carbon Fiber package is only available on the Ti Sport model. The interior and exterior get carbon fiber accents, and the dashboard is leather-wrapped.
There are two new exterior colors, Lipari Gray Metallic and Imola Titanium Metallic, as well as an Ice Light Grey interior option. Three new wheel designs, a premium alarm system, and heated rear seats are available now, too.
What does the 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia compete with?
The Alfa Romeo Giulia competes with the following cars:
Interior Style in the 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
A 6.5-inch screen anchors the Giulia’s dashboard, with an upgraded 8.8-inch wide color display available. A large knob in the center console lets the driver select either dynamic, natural, or advanced efficiency driving mode.
A pair of cupholders are hidden behind a well-designed cover. Climate control knobs and other controls are easy to reach.
Large paddle shifters are tucked behind the flat-bottom leather-wrapped steering wheel. The push start button is on the wheel. It’s a great look but can be hard to locate if the wheel isn’t on center. Easy-to use-audio controls and Bluetooth connect buttons are also on the wheel.
The front seats are power-adjustable leather, with power bolsters and an adjustable thigh support. The Giulia sedan seats four, plus a fifth only when needed. The back seat has a useful fold-down center console with an armrest and cupholders.
What technology comes in the 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia?
The 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia is a bit light on standard technology. It comes with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and front and rear USB ports for power. There’s also a 12-volt center console power outlet.
Voice control and Bluetooth are standard, and phone connectivity is easy to manage. But the optional navigation is not state-of-the-art and lags behind competitors.
What kind of safety features are in the new Alfa Romeo Giulia?
The base Giulia has a host of safety and security systems, including anti-slip torque control, hill-start assist, rear back-up camera, and rear parking-assist sensors. Front, side, and rear airbags are accompanied by LATCH child-seat anchors, and passive keyless entry makes for easy access.
All trims can upgrade to the Driver Assist Dynamic Plus package. This comes with lane-departure warning, forward-collision warning, adaptive cruise control with full stop, and automatic headlamps. For $1,500, it’s worth considering.
An included infrared windshield helps with visibility. It also increases air conditioning effectiveness while filtering out infrared light from the sun.
There’s also an available Driver Assistance Static package. This comes with parking sensors, rear cross-traffic alert, auto-dimming exterior mirrors, and blind-spot monitoring.
What’s the 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Like to drive?
The 2019 Giulia is all about the driving. It’s a fully engaging sedan, with sexy sports-car handling in a curvy package. The 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine delivers best-in-class 280 horsepower, and the exhaust sounds like a throaty Italian aria.
The Quadrifoglio version amps up this feeling with the 505-horsepower V6. The Giulia QV is one of the most exciting cars to drive under $80,000, and you won’t be cookie-cutter. It’s easily the class leader in performance, and the paddle shifters give even more driving enjoyment.
The Giulia is quick to launch from the line, has sporting steering, and confident handling. Even in heavy traffic, the Giulia is still fun to drive. The seats give added security around twisty turns, and the steering wheel is perfect.
The cabin is modern and quiet, with minimal road noise, creaks, and rattles. The build quality of the Giulia is worthy of its Italian roots, with tight seams and attention to detail.
It’s worth upgrading to the Sport Ti version of the Giulia. This provides a good balance of value and fun driving. Adding the Dynamic Plus package enhances the ownership experience. The infrared windshield helps keep the cabin comfortable in any weather, and the adaptive cruise control helps fend off driver fatigue on long trips.
The QV version is an absolute joy on the track, giving an amateur driver confidence to push the limits and find the right lines. Its styling is even more distinctive and the exhaust note, well, is just Grammy-Award worthy.
Should I buy a 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia? The Giulia is great for livening up a daily drive. It’s drop-dead gorgeous, crazy fun to drive, and stands out in a crowd. You won’t see yourself coming and going at the office or the school-kid pick-up line. But if utility is a necessity, consider the Alfa Romeo Stelvio SUV instead.
Should I buy a used Alfa Romeo Giulia?
Off-lease and pre-owned Giulias are starting to become more plentiful. While reliability is not well-established, the model has changed little over the few years it’s been available. A gently-used version could be a great way to get into a really hot car.
How much does the 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia cost?
The 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia has a wide price range suited to nearly any wallet. A base Giulia RWD starts at $39,590 and climbs through four levels of equipment, reaching $49,290 for the Giulia Ti Sport Carbon RWD.
The AWD version of the Giulia start at $41,590 and tops out at $51,290 for the Ti Sport Carbon AWD. The Quadrifoglio, which is only available in rear-wheel-drive, starts at $75,290. All prices include the destination charges.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
- Seductive, distinct styling
- Makes driving fun again
- Stands out in the crowd
- Driving modes provide custom experience
- Wide price range respects budget
- Good value for Italian design
- Minimal room in the back seat
- Tech is not state-of-the-art
- Dealerships are few and far between
- Cargo space is limited
- Requires 91 octane fuel
- Reliability is unknown
The History of Alfa Romeo Giulia
The latest generation of the Giulia is a thoroughly modern vehicle with its roots firmly planted in the 21st century. But the name dates back to 1962 when Alfa Romeo introduced the very first Giulia, an innovative sports sedan that became an icon on racetracks and in rally events.
Produced through the 1978 model year, it featured aerodynamic styling developed in a wind tunnel – not common for a road car at the time. Combined with lightweight construction and a powerful engine, the Giulia became known for quickness and sporty handling.
The new-generation Giulia, which carries on the grand tradition of its predecessor, was unveiled in 2016. The sedan was part of a $5.6 billion investment by Fiat Chrysler to relaunch the Alfa brand globally.
Ferrari’s technical director oversaw the development of the Giulia QV’s engine, and it’s reflected in that model’s enthusiastic driving characteristics. But even the base Giulia quickly developed a reputation for excellent handling and solid road feel.
Sales of the Giulia totaled just over 11,500 units in 2018. This compares to over 44,500 BMW 3 Series sales, which is why the Giulia is not a vehicle you see every day.
Given the brief history of the latest-generation Giulia, reliability is unknown. Build quality is good, but some owners report issues with phone connectivity and other bugs.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
- Body Style
- 2.0L 280HP I4 DI Turbo
- 280 hp
- 8-Speed Automatic 8HP50
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L 280HP I4 DI Turbo
- Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic 8HP50
- 50 State Emissions
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Sequential Shift Control
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 3.15 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 95-Amp/Hr 525CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 180 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Touring Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 15.3 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 17" x 7.5" Bright 10-Spoke Aluminum
- Tires: 225/50R17 BSW AS Performance
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Aluminum Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Black Grille w/Metal-Look Surround
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Rear Fog Lamps
- Cornering Lights
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam High Intensity Low/High Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Laminated Glass
- Radio: AM/FM Bluetooth 8.8
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System and External Memory Control
- Graphic Equalizer
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 8 Speakers
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Seats w/Leather Back Material and Power 4-Way Driver Lumbar
- 10-Way Power Driver Seat -inc: Power Recline, Height Adjustment, Fore/Aft Movement and Power 4-Way Lumbar Support
- 10-Way Power Passenger Seat -inc: Power Recline, Height Adjustment, Fore/Aft Movement and Power 4-Way Lumbar Support
- 40-20-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Leather Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Oil Temperature, Transmission Fluid Temp, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather Gear Shift Knob
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Interior Trim -inc: Piano Black Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Leather Seats
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Driver Seat and Door Mirrors
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Remote Engine Start
- Smart Device Integration
- 8.8" Touchscreen Display
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Full Speed Forward Collision Warning-Plus
- ParkSense Rear Parking Sensors
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera