Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Good warranty coverage
- Strong features-per-dollar
- Available turbocharged power
- Spacious, comfortable interior
- Stylish looks
Hyundai Santa Fe: Everything You Need to Know
About the Hyundai Santa Fe:
The Hyundai Santa Fe is a two-row SUV that straddles the line between the mid-size and compact segments. It delivers substantial value with its roomy cabin, affordable price, and attractive styling. It has been one of the Korean automaker's most important vehicles in its transformation into a mainstream brand.
The Hyundai Santa Fe is an affordable family transporter with strong standard safety features, making it a good buy.
What’s New in the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe?
The all-new 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe moves from a 3-row to a 2-row SUV design, replacing the 'Sport' model of last year. The older 3-row Santa Fe remains on-sale as the 'XL,' riding on the previous platform.
The 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe is longer and wider than the model it replaces, with a 2.5 inch stretch in wheelbase. This has improved interior room, especially in the rear, and moved the SUV to the doorstep of the mid-size class. It also features fresh looks that make it a style leader in its segment.
Other interesting updates made to the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe include:
- Long list of new standard active safety features.
- Carry-over 185 horsepower, 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine gains an 8-speed automatic transmission. Torque remains listed at 178 pounds-foot.
- Optional 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder that delivers 235 horsepower and 260- lb-ft of torque has been retuned for slightly less output. 8-speed gearbox is found standard here, too. · Fuel efficiency improves slightly for base model to 22-mpg city and 29-mpg highway in front-wheel drive trim.
- Turbocharged engine drops somewhat to 20-mpg city and 25-mpg highway for front-wheel drive editions.
All-wheel drive remains available as an option for both engines.
What Does the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Compete With?
The Hyundai Santa Fe competes with the following SUVs:
The most popular version of the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe is the SEL Plus. This trim provides the following features above the base model:
- 18-inch wheels
- Dual automatic climate control
- Power tailgate
- Keyless entry and ignition
- Satellite radio
- Upgraded audio system
The Hyundai Santa Fe is great for families who need more room than they can get in a hatchback. It's also appealing for those who want as many features as possible for the money.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe
With its longer wheelbase, the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe puffs past the Sport model it replaces in terms of overall length. The new Santa Fe is more attractive than its predecessor with a more premium feel. This is especially true in higher trim levels.
The base 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SE now offers:
- A larger front grille
- LED daytime running lights
- Slimmer taillights
- Lower headlight placement
- Taller side and back glass
- 17-inch wheels
The SEL trim adds fog lights, while the SEL Plus installs 18-inch alloy rims and a power tailgate. The Limited adds LED headlights, taillights, and fog lights and a panoramic sunroof. The Limited and Ultimate trims feature 19-inch wheels with the turbocharged engine.
Interior Style in the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe
As mentioned, the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe is bigger inside and out. Rear seat riders now have more space to stretch their legs, especially in the SEL Plus trim or higher which offers a sliding back row. Fitting five passengers into the Hyundai Santa Fe is no problem. There are also LATCH attachments present.
Likewise, cargo. There's just a tick over 71 cubic feet of room inside the Hyundai Santa Fe with the rear seats folded flat. This matches many of its direct competitors. It's also enough to truck home a set of tires or a half-team of hockey bags. Unlike with passenger room, cargo space hasn’t grown quite as much after the redesign. The total amount shrunk slightly but it shows as better behind the rear row.
Interior storage up front is solid, with enough cubbies and nooks for your gear. Materials feel upscale, too. It's a step up over the older Santa Fe Sport. Leather replaces cloth upholstery starting at the Limited trim. The Ultimate makes an effort to offer more cabin detail but doesn't feel quite up to its higher price. It's good, just not enough to justify the extra spend.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe?
The new Hyundai Santa Fe goes all-in on technology. Even base models feel well-appointed because of the brand's included active safety gear.
The 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe offers a number of intriguing technology and interior features, including:
- Parking sensors
- Full LED lighting
- Heated front and rear seats
- Hands-free tailgate
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Top-down parking camera
- Head-up display
- Wireless phone charging
The 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe comes standard with:
- 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Android Auto/Apple CarPlay
- 4 USB ports
- Full suite of advanced safety equipment
- Rearview camera
- Bluetooth connectivity
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe?
The 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe impresses with its list of standard safety equipment.
All versions of the Hyundai Santa Fe come with the following safety features:
- Blind spot monitoring with cross-traffic alert. This system keeps an eye on both sides of the vehicle for traffic you might not have spotted. It also functions when backing out into a lane.
- Driver attention monitor. A feature that keeps track of your behavior behind the wheel and recommends a break if you seem drowsy.
- Adaptive cruise control. This system automatically maintains a safe distance between the SUV and the vehicle immediately ahead.
- Forward collision mitigation. A feature that applies the brakes and stops the vehicle should an impact seem likely.
- Safe exist assist. This feature will stop a door from opening into traffic.
What is the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Like to drive?
The 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe comes across as comfortable and poised out on the road. Although not all that engaging, it's handling and stability are a step above the SUV it replaces.
The base 2.4-liter engine is not particularly powerful, but it gets the job done. The new 8-speed automatic is a better match for the motor than the older 6-speed. The turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder offers improved acceleration, but at times the 8-speed holds gears longer than expected. This introduces unwanted noise into the SUV's cabin, although wind and traffic noise are nicely muted.
The Hyundai Santa Fe's all-wheel drive system features torque-vectoring meant to improve handling even on dry pavement. It's hard to tell whether it makes much of a difference. That being said, in the snow the all-wheel drive works well to keep the SUV pointed straight and true.
Overall, the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe offers a pleasant driving experience in all road and weather conditions.
Should I Buy a Current 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe?
Families who need extra room for their day-to-day activities or who want the security of all-wheel drive in the winter would do well to test drive the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe. Its strong set of standard safety features is also a big plus, as is the value it offers in terms of features.
Should I buy a Used Hyundai Santa Fe?
The previous-generation Hyundai Santa Fe (the Santa Fe Sport) was similar in its approach. Key differences include:
- Less standard safety equipment
- Fewer tech features
- A smaller interior
- Lower quality cabin trim
With a strong warranty and good reputation for reliability, a used Hyundai Santa Fe Sport from 2013 or newer is not a bad choice.
How Much Does the New 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Cost?
The 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe starts at $25,750 for a front-wheel drive SE model. All-wheel drive, turbocharged Ultimate models cost $38,800.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe
- Attractive styling
- Comfortable interior room
- Good cargo space
- Affordable pricing
- Strong standard safety
- Ultimate trim doesn't deliver luxury despite high price tag
- Base engine could use more power
- Doesn't stand out compared to similar SUVs
- Occasionally noisy turbo engine
The History of the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe: 18 Years
The Hyundai Santa Fe first appeared as a 2001 model. Very early on it became an important member of the Hyundai family, with strong sales helping boost the brand in America.
For 2007 the Santa Fe SUV was redesigned, adding size and features. In 2013 it was moved to a fresh platform more closely resembling today's people mover.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.4L GDI E-CVVT 16-Valve 4-Cylinder
- 185 hp
- 8-Speed Automatic w/SHIFTRONIC
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Lane Departure Warning
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.4L GDI E-CVVT 16-Valve 4-Cylinder -inc: Idle Stop & Go (IGS)
- Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic w/SHIFTRONIC -inc: manual shift mode
- Axle Ratio 3.798
- GVWR: 4,729 lbs
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 54-Amp/Hr Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 140 Amp Alternator
- 1138lbs. Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 18.8 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 17" x 7.0J Alloy
- Tires: P235/65R17
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Black Rear Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Chrome Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Convex Spotter and Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Chrome Grille
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: AM/FM/MP3 Display Audio -inc: 7" screen, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth hands-free w/wireless audio streaming, steering wheel audio, cruise and phone controls and dual front and rear 2.1 amp USB charge ports,
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control and Aux Audio Input Jack
- 6 Speakers
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way manual adjustable driver seat w/2-way lumbar support
- Driver Seat
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Mechanical Fuel
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Headliner/Pillar Ducts
- Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Stain-Resistant Cloth Seating Surfaces
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA) Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA) Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera