Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Room for up to eight passengers
- 310-horsepower V6 engine
- Standard on-board Wi-Fi
- Fresh redesign offers modern amenities
Chevrolet Traverse: Everything You Need to Know
About the Chevrolet Traverse:
The Chevrolet Traverse is a four-door, three-row midsize crossover built in Michigan. It’s designed for families who want maximum passenger and interior space in an easy-to-drive vehicle that will fit in most garages.
Like most of its competitors, the Chevy Traverse comes with a V6 engine and an automatic transmission. There is one model--the sporty RS--that is available with a smaller turbocharged four-cylinder. Front-wheel drive is standard. Most trim levels offer the option of all-wheel drive for added traction in the cold climates.
What’s New in the 2019 Chevrolet Traverse?
The Chevrolet Traverse was fully redesigned for the 2018 model year, so there are only a few new features for 2019. A new LT Premium package is now an option on the LT trim level with the leather interior. It adds a 360-degree view exterior camera system, an 8.0-inch dashboard screen with navigation, Bose speakers, 20-inch wheels, and a 110V outlet in the cabin. These features are now standard in the Traverse RS trim level.
A heated steering wheel now comes with the Premier and High Country models. Finally, the sport RS trim is now available with a V6 on all-wheel drive models. Front-wheel drive models still come with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine.
The Traverse is offered in six trim levels: L, LS, LT Cloth, LT Leather, RS, Premier, and High Country. All trims--except the RS with front-wheel drive--come with a 3.6-liter V6 rated at 310 horsepower. The front-wheel drive RS gets a 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder rated at 257 horsepower. Both engines use a nine-speed automatic transmission for max performance and mileage.
- Base L trim has seating for eight, a cloth interior, 18-inch wheels, and on-board Wi-Fi
- The LS adds premium cloth seating, a 7.0-inch color touchscreen and three zone climate control
- The midgrade LT is split into two sub-trim levels--Cloth and Leather. A power adjustable driver’s seat comes standard on all LTs. Heated, power adjustable side mirrors, one touch up/down windows and fog lights are also standard.
- The LT Leather upgrades the seat materials. It adds the following safety features: Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Park Assist with Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and Lane Change Alert. A rear power liftgate and a larger dashboard touchscreen are also part of this trim.
For buyers interested in a more aggressive look, the Traverse RS has unique exterior styling that includes blacked-out trim and dark, 20-inch wheels. Heated driver and front passenger seats and a 360-degree view exterior camera system are included.
Premier models come with cooled seats for the driver and front passenger, a heated steering wheel, and heated seats in the second row. A wireless phone charging pad is standard.
The loaded High Country trim gets unique 20-inch wheels, automatic high beam headlights, an extra-large sunroof, and adaptive cruise control. High Country models with all-wheel-drive get a more sophisticated version of the system.
What Does the 2019 Chevrolet Compete With?
The 2019 Chevrolet Traverse competes with the following midsize crossovers:
The Traverse is a great vehicle for families. With room for up to eight passengers, plenty of cargo room, and a quiet, comfortable ride, the Traverse is well suited for daily driving or long road trips.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Chevrolet Traverse
Fully redesigned last year, the 2019 Traverse continues unchanged on the outside. It has a modern yet conservative look that fits its mission as a family vehicle. The grille is similar in shape to Chevy’s other SUVs with headlights that are smaller and more detailed than before.
Most trim levels look similar on the outside except for the sport-oriented RS. It features all-black trim and black wheels for a customized look. The High Country model comes standard with 20-inch polish finished wheels for a high-end appearance.
Interior Style of the 2019 Chevrolet Traverse
During last year’s Traverse redesign, passenger comfort was a priority. There is now ample room in all three rows. The split-folding second-row seat gives easy access to the third-row seats which are some of the most spacious in the segment. There’s also the option of second-row captain’s chairs that make access to the third row even easier.
Cargo space behind the third row is about average for the class. There’s room for a couple suitcases or several duffle bags. With the third row folded, the Traverse fits several coolers plus a tent and weekend bags.
The L, LS, and base LT trim levels all come with cloth seating. Leather seating comes with all upper trims. Most materials in the Traverse are soft to the touch and high quality. There are a few parts of the interior that can look cheap on lower trim levels. The High Country gets interior trim worthy of a luxury vehicle.
Most controls and switches are well placed for easy access. The main dashboard screen sits front and center so you don’t have to stretch to reach it. There are plenty of small storage spaces within easy reach. Both the driver and front passenger have room for purses and phones.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Chevrolet Traverse?
All Chevy Traverse models come with plenty of modern technology features to satisfy all members of the family.
A 7.0-inch touchscreen display comes with even the base model Traverse. It offers both Apple Carplay and Android Auto connectivity along with on-board Wi-Fi. An optional 8.0-inch touchscreen display is available. It adds navigation and additional features. There are USB charging ports in all three rows and an optional wireless charging pad up front.
A 3.5-inch driver information display in the gauge cluster is standard on L, LS, and LT models. Higher end models get a larger color display. Both versions are controlled by buttons on the steering wheel. Keyless entry and start are standard on all trim levels.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Chevrolet Traverse?
Standard safety features on the Chevrolet Traverse include a full array of airbags and a rearview camera system. A 360 exterior camera system is available on the LT Leather and standard on RS, Premier, and High Country.
Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and Rear Park Assist are optional on LT Cloth and standard on LT Leather and above. Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking, Forward Collision Alert, Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning, Front Pedestrian Detection and IntelliBeam headlamps are offered on front-wheel drive Premier models and standard on Premier all-wheel drive and High Country.
What is the 2019 Chevrolet Traverse Like to Drive?
Like most vehicles in this class, the Chevrolet Traverse is comfortable, quiet, and easy to drive. It’s not exactly exciting, but the standard V6 gives it plenty of punch for merging into traffic, even with a full load of kids and cargo. Although the RS model has a sporty design, the turbocharged four-cylinder engine on the front-wheel drive model isn’t up to the challenge.
Visibility is good in all directions and the brakes are easy to modulate. Shifts from the automatic transmission are smooth and predictable. There’s some body roll in corners and occasional road noise depending on the surface, but none of it is out of the ordinary for this type of vehicle.
Should I Buy a Current 2019 Chevrolet Traverse?
If you want the latest safety and technology features in a spacious, easy-to-maneuver crossover, the 2019 Chevrolet Traverse is a solid choice. It competes favorably with anything in the class in terms of size, performance, and price.
Should I buy a Used Chevrolet Traverse? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The first-generation Chevrolet Traverse (2009-‘17) was well liked for its spacious interior and all-around performance. If you can do without the latest technology, these are solid family vehicles with plenty of space for kids and cargo.
How Much Does the New 2019 Chevrolet Traverse Cost?
The 2019 Chevrolet Traverse starts at $30,925 for the L trim level. The most expensive High Country model starts just over $53,000. At roughly $30K, the base Traverse is right in line with its competitors. The mid-grade trims are equally competitive.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Chevrolet Traverse
- Spacious interior with a usable third row and useful cargo space
- Strong V6 engine and smooth shifting nine-speed automatic
- Easy-to-use infotainment system with on-board Wi-Fi
- Available RS and High Country trims are unique in the segmen
- Some high-end safety features are optional
- Interior trim on lower end models isn’t always high-quality looking
The History of Chevrolet Traverse: Two Generations of Affable SUVs
First introduced in 2009, the Chevrolet Traverse made a name for itself as a three-row crossover with a huge interior that was still easy to drive. It ran for almost a decade with few changes because the basic size and performance was strong. The redesigned version introduced in 2018 stuck to the same basic formula, but added updated technology and safety features.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Chevrolet Traverse
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 3.6L V6
- 310 hp
- 9-speed automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Cruise Control
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Engine, 3.6L V6, SIDI, VVT (310 hp [232.0 kW] @ 6800 rpm, 266 lb-ft of torque [361 N-m] @ 2800 rpm)
- Transmission, 9-speed automatic
- E10 Fuel capable
- Engine control, stop-start system
- Traction Mode Select
- Axle, 3.49 final drive ratio
- Front wheel drive
- Battery, heavy-duty 600 cold-cranking amps
- Alternator, 170 amps
- GVWR, 6160 lbs. (2800 kg)
- Suspension, Ride and Handling
- Steering, power
- Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc, 17" front and rear
- Electric Parking Brake
- Capless fuel fill
- Tool kit, road emergency
- Wheels, 18" (45.7 cm) Bright Silver painted aluminum
- Tires, P255/65R18 all-season blackwall
- Wheel, spare, 18" (45.7 cm) steel
- Tire, compact spare, T135/70R18, blackwall
- Fascia, front body-color
- Moldings, Black bodyside
- Moldings, rocker, Black
- Headlamps, high intensity discharge
- Headlamps, automatic on/off
- Taillamps, LED
- Mirror caps, Black painted
- Mirrors, outside heated power-adjustable, Black, manual-folding
- Glass, solar absorbing
- Wipers, front intermittent with washers
- Wiper, rear intermittent with washer
- Door handles, body-color
- Liftgate, rear manual
- Audio system, Chevrolet Infotainment 3 system 7" diagonal color touchscreen, AM/FM stereo. Additional features for compatible phones include: Bluetooth audio streaming for 2 active devices, voice command pass-through to phone, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capable
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot capable (Terms and limitations apply. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- Active Noise Cancellation
- Seats, front bucket
- Seating, 8-passenger (2-3-3 seating configuration)
- Seat trim, premium cloth
- Seats, third row 60/40 split-bench, manual-folding
- Head restraints, front, 2-way adjustable
- Head restraints, second and third row outboard, 2-way manual-folding
- Console, front center with 2 cup holders, covered storage bin with storage and removable tray
- Floor covering, color-keyed carpeting
- Floor mats, color-keyed all rows
- Steering wheel, urethane
- Steering column, tilt
- Steering wheel controls, mounted controls for audio, phone and cruise
- Display, 3.5" driver instrument information, monochromatic
- Compass display, digital
- Windows, power, with driver and front passenger Express-Down
- Door locks, power programmable with lockout protection
- Keyless Open includes extended range Remote Keyless Entry with lock/unlock feature
- Cruise control, electronic with set and resume speed
- Remote panic alarm
- Theft-deterrent system, electrical, unauthorized entry
- USB ports
- Air conditioning, tri-zone automatic climate control with individual climate settings for driver, right front passenger and rear seat occupants
- Sensor, humidity and windshield temperature
- Defogger, rear-window electric
- Heater ducts, 2nd row
- Cup holders, 10 total
- Umbrella holders, driver and front passenger doors
- Mirror, inside rearview manual day/night
- Visors, driver and passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, covered
- Lighting, interior with theater dimming, cargo compartment, reading lights for front seats, second row reading lamps integrated into dome light, door-and tailgate-activated switches and illuminated entry and exit feature
- Cargo storage, tray under rear floor
- Chevrolet Connected Access capable (Subject to terms. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- StabiliTrak, stability control system with traction control
- Daytime Running Lamps, LED
- Airbags, dual-stage frontal and side-impact for driver and front passenger, driver inboard seat-mounted side-impact and roof-rail side-impact for all rows in outboard seating positions (Always use seat belts and the correct child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- Passenger Sensing System sensor indicator inflatable restraint, front passenger/child presence detector (Always use seat belts and the correct child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
- OnStar and Chevrolet connected services capable (Terms and limitations apply. See onstar.com or dealer for details.)
- Rear Vision Camera
- Door locks, rear child security
- Rear Seat Reminder
- LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren), for child restraint seats
- Teen Driver a configurable feature that lets you activate customizable vehicle settings associated with a key fob, to help encourage safe driving behavior. It can limit certain available vehicle features, and it prevents certain safety systems from being turned off. It includes the Buckle-to-Drive feature which prevents the driver from shifting from Park for up to 20 seconds if the driver's seat belt is not buckled. An in-vehicle report card gives you information on driving habits and helps you to continue to coach your new driver
- Tire Pressure Monitor, includes Tire Fill Alert (Does not monitor spare.)
- Horn, dual-note